Season 25 shield sim 4* cover is spider-gwen yellow. .

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Chamber44: this is worse than nova. Nova is at least a good character (or will be in 2017 when he is covered). Gwen is (sadly) no better than mid tier.

Sluggo: if people can't get 1k in pvp, then they are unlikely to get 2k in the shield sim. But you are right about the cover pattern.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread is a complaint for the sake of complaining.

It's a very new character... regardless of what color the cover is, the likelihood that you will have enough to have it be playable is very minimal, so I don't see the problem.

"Here's $10"
    "Ugh, this is 2 $5 bills... and one has a tear in it... wth?"
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:

Sluggo: if people can't get 1k in pvp, then they are unlikely to get 2k in the shield sim. But you are right about the cover pattern.
    on this one, i actually disagree. I usually jump into the shield sim around day 4. I cruise through 3-4 matches a day, which keeps me low enough that i'm hitting for 50+ points. At around 1700, i'll choose to grind to 2000 at one shot (if i've got the health packs). If i hit 1700 early enough, i avoid a ton of crazy retals and then can decide to shield up if i need to or just let myself get hit back down.

i only miss 2000 if I forget to play for a few days and have to try to grind towards the end. Way more retals then.
  • Vhailorx
    edited March 2016
    JVReal wrote:

It's a very new character... regardless of what color the cover is, the likelihood that you will have enough to have it be playable is very minimal, so I don't see the problem.

"Here's $10"

My complaint is more that the specific cover reward is ****, not so much that the character is new. In fact, I am basically arguing that this reward is the single worst 4* power in the game that does not belong to the universally ridiculed TA Hulk. Note that I didn't make this thread last month when the shield sim reward was nova.

Sluggo: my point is that the strength of opponent people will see from 1750-2000 is similar to the what they will see from 850-1000 in regular PvP events. So for those who don't have strong enough rosters to hit 1k regularly, they Will probably have just as much trouble hitting 2k in the sum. If you can hit 2k, then you can probably do 1k too.
  • chamber44
    JVReal wrote:

"Here's $10"
    not really - it's more about the fact that there is such a discrepancy between excellent (the top tier of 4's) and everything else, combined with the fact that the devs have consistently made it harder to get said top-tier characters. If I get this spider-gwen cover, i'll officially have more Gwen covers than Bobby and Jean Grey combined. A bit of bad luck with RNG? sure. Unavailable to grind to 1000 when they're PvP covers? Yep. But as bad 4's keep diluting the pool, it's harder and harder to get the covers that actually matter.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2016
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Sluggo: my point is that the types of matches people will see from 1750-2000 is similar to the type of matches you will see from 850-1000 in regular PvP events. So for those who don't have strong enough rosters to hit 1k regularly, they Will probably have just as much trouble hitting 2k in the sum. Of you can hit 2k, then you can probably do 1k too.

This is not true if you aren't running maxed 3*s or better. Back when I had a softcap of 120 or 130 I would routinely get to 2k by only fighting teams that had the highest level of 140. It was a definite challenge to even hit 800 in PvP then. So the player bases that can hit 2k in sim and 1k in PvP are definitely not the same. Don't extrapolate your experience to the entire player base.
  • Vhailorx
    Don't extrapolate your experience to the entire player base.

Aren't you doing exactly that stoch? When did you have that soft cap? Unless it was up through yesterday, why is your prior experience more illuminating than mine?

My broad experience is that the last few matches in shield sim are of similar difficulty to the last few matches in regular events. Maybe a bit easier in that I can choose my best team, and a bit harder in that the climb is a bit longer. Sluggo suggested that the shield sim was a good alternative source of covers for those who couldn't hit 1k in pvp. And it seems to me that if 2k in the the sim is a realitlstiv possibility for a given roster, than the same roster could probably get to 1k in any given event (barring extremely bad weekly boosted luck).
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    My personal experience is that it's easier to hit 2K in sim without shielding than it is to hit 1K in PVP currently without shield hopping.

This past season, having rostered my 3rd 5* (1 cover, 1 cover, 2 cover) I did find the Shield Sim much more difficult to find teams I could beat not having a single maxed 4* yet being up against 4* teams. For a bit there I was afraid I would not hit 2K, but had to whittle down 20 point teams until I hit 2K.

Currently when I hit 800+ in PVP, my pool of opponents suddenly becomes low point teams I might beat (but if I don't will lose too many points), or high point teams I can only beat if I whale them.

I'm in that frustrating in between phase, the one where you say "I'm hitting 800+, shielding and playing PVE for Iso" so that I can level up the few playable 4* I do have and hope for 5* pulls from CP since I'm already being penalized for having them, might as well make them playable.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I think spider-gwen yellow must be at it near the top of that list.

Maybe, but it also has the best animation for any power in the game. If it did nothing at all, but play the animation, it would be worth the AP!
  • chamber44
    JVReal wrote:
    My personal experience is that it's easier to hit 2K in sim without shielding than it is to hit 1K in PVP currently without shield hopping.

This past season, having rostered my 3rd 5* (1 cover, 1 cover, 2 cover) I did find the Shield Sim much more difficult to find teams I could beat not having a single maxed 4* yet being up against 4* teams. For a bit there I was afraid I would not hit 2K, but had to whittle down 20 point teams until I hit 2K.

Currently when I hit 800+ in PVP, my pool of opponents suddenly becomes low point teams I might beat (but if I don't will lose too many points), or high point teams I can only beat if I whale them.

I'm in that frustrating in between phase, the one where you say "I'm hitting 800+, shielding and playing PVE for Iso" so that I can level up the few playable 4* I do have and hope for 5* pulls from CP since I'm already being penalized for having them, might as well make them playable.
    yes. i'm in the exact same boat. 2K in the sim is doable (i've done it a few times), but 1K in PvP is a rarity (no useable 4's + unwillingness to spend the HP to hop)
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

Last season I hit 2k in Shield using exclusively 3* Cap, 3* Iron Man and 3* Daken. As a freeplayer i have never managed to hit 1000 points in any versus event. Without paying for shields it is far easier to sneak up to 2000 points over a season than it is to get 1000 points in a single versus event, especially without a useable 4* roster.

Don't like the cover then sell it for ISO, myself and many others will find a use for it. I complain A LOT but even this is beyond me.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Vhailorx wrote:
    gravel wrote:
    It may be a bad cover, but it was also the highest reward in a new 4* PvE, so it's also the color most don't have. I'll gladly take it, since it's the only color I'm missing. Also, remember the outrage when XFW was a 2k reward before it was corrected to Ghost Rider? 2k in sim is one of the ways to get a cover for a newer 4*, while it might not be the best character or the best color for that character, at least it's something most can use.

Disagree pretty strongly. Everyone would be better off with a top tier cover reward.

Best case scenario for spider-gwen yellow is that you have an extra cover of a power you will basically never use on a character that will be at or near the bottom of your "to level" list.

Consider a top tier cover for a really good 4*, even an older one like imhb or jg. Newer players get a very valuable cover for an essential 4*. Vets are most likely to have champed top tier 4*s, so most vets will get a champion level minimum. The only people who would get nothing are: those who already have maxed out their 4* champs; or those with 13 covers who haven't champed their top tier 4*. The former camp needs no sympathy, and the latter camp has 1 month + 2 weeks to earn the necessary iso.

Spider-Gwen yellow is just a waste of everyone's time that serves no purpose except for the hardcore collectors who need every cover for every character.

If you are arguing that every single PVP season should have a 2k reward that consists of a top 5 4star character cover, no one would disagree thats a win for everybody.

But when trying to cover any specific character, all of their covers are useful. Gwen isn't the worst 4 star out there by a long shot, and you need 13 covers. Yellow included. If you were someone who lucked out on her event, and are sitting on 5-6 of her covers right now, its not a waste of time to get this one from this event.

Just because she's not in any position to make sense going after in your plan, doesn't mean other players don't have room for her in their plans.

Since we cannot buy specific covers anymore, many players have little choice but to go wide with their rosters. You have to invest where the luck suggests you should.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    JVReal wrote:

"Here's $10"

Agreed 100%. Did someone figure out a way to get Gwen to 13 covers while avoiding ever needing one of them to be a yellow? Cause unless they did, I cannot understand how someone could consider this yellow such a tragedy!
  • Vhailorx
    Hmm, surprised at all the salt I am getting for this post.

There are 13 guaranteed 4* covers awarded every 28 days in pvp. The shield sim cover is the only one that isn't on a fixed rotation. I think it sucks that this season's reward is arguably the worst possible option (other than TAHulk).

As for needing 13 covers, sure, in the abstract. But spider-gwen is not a strong 4*, and she is what, the 28th one to be released? Who has the iso to max the top 10 or 12 4*s, let alone the middle of the pack ones like gwen. She is the 4* equivalent of psylocke. Not bad, but not great. I don't think anyone is hurting for lack of a psylocke blue cover. The only reason have either is to have a shiny, complete collection.

And as others have pointed out, in the past player outrage has prompted a change in shield sim rewards mid-season. Why not do it again?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem isn't with Gwen but with the fact that getting newer 4* up to speed is more time where you might grab 5* and make doing anything with her obsolete.

As for the other piece, the only time complaining helped the 2k reward was when it was an obvious mistake happened, breaking the pattern of "newest character is the 2k reward." So thinking they'll swap Gwen out is foolhardy. Would it have been better if it were red/purple? Sure, but ultimately all colors need to be collected so there's little issue with getting the yellow one.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    To me the only useless 2k reward would be someone for whom I already have 5 covers of that colour. and who stands no chance of being championed in the next 6 weeks or so.

So I'll take a S-G yellow; as some others have said, she'll be functional eventually and it's not just another 1000 ISO.

What I think they should do, as a season reward for 2k, is a new "choose your own 4* cover" token. I don't mind if it excluded the most recent 4* or two, and it would be good if it included icon_devildino.pngicon_e_biggrin.gif.
  • Vhailorx
    Well, what they really need to do with the sim (and the guantlet, and every PvP and pve event) is award more 4* covers. But that is entirely different topic in which I could be drided as an entitled whiner who just wants free stuff. . .
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:

Aren't you doing exactly that stoch? When did you have that soft cap? Unless it was up through yesterday, why is your prior experience more illuminating than mine?

My broad experience is that the last few matches in shield sim are of similar difficulty to the last few matches in regular events. Maybe a bit easier in that I can choose my best team, and a bit harder in that the climb is a bit longer. Sluggo suggested that the shield sim was a good alternative source of covers for those who couldn't hit 1k in pvp. And it seems to me that if 2k in the the sim is a realitlstiv possibility for a given roster, than the same roster could probably get to 1k in any given event (barring extremely bad weekly boosted luck).

Respectfully, I very much disagree. My experience the last 3 seasons is that it was fairly trivial for me to reach 2K in Sim. Depending on when I make my final push for 2K, I certainly get hit, but there are plenty of beatable targets that I can overcome with very high confidence. I certainly get hit after I pass 2k, but once I get the reward I generally don't care & don't shield (unless I'm on the border of the next higher overall season placement).

By contrast, getting to 1k in ANY PVP is almost impossible for me. Even with shielding, finding targets that I can actually beat with my 3* and a few non-maxxed 4* roster is very challenging, and the number of hits I take if I try to make a push for 1k keeps me out of that reward tier. I'm lucky to get to 1k in PVP even once during an entire season - last season I didn't get there even once (so much for championing....).
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:

No, I am providing a counterexample to your statement. I am not extending my situation to any other players. There are others joining in and agreeing with me though.
  • Vhailorx
    edited March 2016
    Well, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong.

I think i am right that matchmaking generally produces similarly strong opponents at the end of a climb to 2k. But perhaps the different mechanisms (much deeper player pool, open for 24 days, less incentive to shield for 23 of those days) of the shield make a difference in the number of viable opponents for 3* teams.

I still suspect that any roster than can reach 2k could also hit 1k with some hopping. but the extra expense is a significant factor.

And if the shield sim is a more attainable targrt, then it's all the more important that it not be a **** cover! (so I am, of course, right either way. Yay me! I am the greatest!)