Season 25 shield sim 4* cover is spider-gwen yellow. .

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Not counting TA Hulk, what is the single worst individual 4* power?

I think spider-gwen yellow must be at it near the top of that list.

The game wants me to pay good ap for 2 or 3 web tiles and burst healing that doesn't even cover gwen?! Better off just collecting 2 extra red then saving up yellow to reduce the cost of red.

4* Thor's yellow? Elektra's red? fantastic's black? All of those at least have some utility in specific situations Really, what else comes close to being this useless?

Comments

• CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Wow - we should all lobby for them to change color and/or character - that is indeed horrendous.
  • Eeeeeh, it's still a pretty new character, and seeing as how most people don't have her at 13 covers yet, another one towards that won't hurt. If you think she's worth using, you'll probably eventually Champion her to respec anyways. And if not, well, you were probably not going to give an underleveled, mid-tier 4* a lot of play anyways.
  • Vhailorx
    Shield sim is one of the very very few fixed 4* prizes in the game that is attainable for 4* transitioners and doesn't require crazy pve grinding. Even 1k in pvp is getting harder without premier 4* and 5* teams.

It sucks to see it wasted on a truly terrible power.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    On the other hand, there are so many terrible powers that it's become really hard to avoid giving one out
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Dude. Double double cross.

Drops mic
  • Vhailorx
    evil panda wrote:
    Dude. Double double cross.

Drops mic

Nope, entirely different worlds of suck. Double double cross isn't great because it sometimes (frequently) requires two castings to have any positive effect. And 14 ap is too much relative to Its benefit. But it's actually very good at what it does (steal strikes) for 7 ap; the problem is that "what it does" doesn't come up quite often enough to justify 1/3 of a power set. Don't believe me? Try Elektra against some maggia muscle. . .

In order for spider-gwen's yellow to have any value, you must,construct a much less common scenario like:
    1) spider-gwen doesn't quite have enough red to cast her red against a final opponent to end a match; or
    2) the ai is going to fire a strong power next round and a almost dead teammate is tanking the only available match.

Which happens more often: either scenario above, or "the enemy has strike tiles"?

*pics up mic and then immediately drops it again*
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    Closest i can think of is icon_venom.pngblackflag.png
    Level 5: Enemy Protect tiles are reduced by 60% and enemy Attack tiles are increased by 0%
    I honestly love (using) this. Or rather, would love but mine's only gotten 2 yellowflag.png so far. Yes, the extra damage from Attack tiles before it gets to level 5 is annoying, but fairly easily avoided.

Personally, discluding icon_hulkcho.pngblackflag.png & icon_spidergwen.pngyellowflag.png I'd have to go with icon_miles.pngyellowflag.png for worst 4* power. Actually, I might have to go with that as worst 4* power even including them.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    DAC169 wrote:
    Personally, discluding icon_hulkcho.pngblackflag.png & icon_spidergwen.pngyellowflag.png I'd have to go with icon_miles.pngyellowflag.png for worst 4* power. Actually, I might have to go with that as worst 4* power even including them.
    Huh? It sucks as a team up but the passive part isn't bad. I mean, it isn't anything to write home about but I think that it's leagues better than icon_hulkcho.pngblackflag.png or icon_spidergwen.pngyellowflag.png

I also somewhat like Venom and Carnage Black - situational but not horrid.

Discounting TAHulk I think that the OP is right and icon_spidergwen.pngyellowflag.png is the worst power in four-star land.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Gwen is 2/1/0, so I don't mind getting a first yellow cover. I'm bound to need Three at least if I want to max her.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I'm happy about it. My Gwen is 1/5/0, so the yellow is welcome.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Well on their own assuming you have no other covers for a character there are quite a few terrible 4* covers.

Invisible Woman Force Field Crush
    Devil Dinosaur Prehistoric Arms
    Quake Coordinated Tactics
    Falcap Aerial Avenger
    Venom Give and Take

But chuck these powers up to five covers and whilst not great they are a lot better and the same goes for Spider-Gwen Kick Out The Jams.

If I don't have a character then I don't mind them being the season reward but if I do have the character I'd rather it be a good cover I want. But the season 4* never is useful to me as a 3* transitioner.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    evil panda wrote:
    Drops mic
    *pics up mic and then immediately drops it again*
    Guys, these things are expensive!

*trips over mic, crushing it*
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    It may be a bad cover, but it was also the highest reward in a new 4* PvE, so it's also the color most don't have. I'll gladly take it, since it's the only color I'm missing. Also, remember the outrage when XFW was a 2k reward before it was corrected to Ghost Rider? 2k in sim is one of the ways to get a cover for a newer 4*, while it might not be the best character or the best color for that character, at least it's something most can use.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    my Gwen's at 0/0/0, I'll take it, but not until I have enough HP to roster her and Quake... need two spots now.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    Guys, these things are expensive!

*trips over mic, crushing it*

Davy, HR just called and they need you to fill out a 994-DBM form for your part in destroying board property. Please remember to put that TPS Report cover sheet on top when you send it in. I've sent you 5 memos reminding you to use it.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    my Gwen's at 0/0/0, I'll take it, but not until I have enough HP to roster her and Quake... need two spots now.
    Good thing you have Three weeks to get there, dontchathink?
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    gravel wrote:
    It may be a bad cover, but it was also the highest reward in a new 4* PvE, so it's also the color most don't have. I'll gladly take it, since it's the only color I'm missing. Also, remember the outrage when XFW was a 2k reward before it was corrected to Ghost Rider? 2k in sim is one of the ways to get a cover for a newer 4*, while it might not be the best character or the best color for that character, at least it's something most can use.

Oh yes I remember being excited to have a chance to get a yellow for wolvie to make him almost useable, then have it yanked midway and replaced by a character I had no covers for.

It really did upset me. If you list a reward, don't change it partway through an event. I still have 0 useable 4 stars. And the xfw cover would have brought him to borderline useful for me.
  • Vhailorx
    gravel wrote:

Disagree pretty strongly. Everyone would be better off with a top tier cover reward.

Best case scenario for spider-gwen yellow is that you have an extra cover of a power you will basically never use on a character that will be at or near the bottom of your "to level" list.

Consider a top tier cover for a really good 4*, even an older one like imhb or jg. Newer players get a very valuable cover for an essential 4*. Vets are most likely to have champed top tier 4*s, so most vets will get a champion level minimum. The only people who would get nothing are: those who already have maxed out their 4* champs; or those with 13 covers who haven't champed their top tier 4*. The former camp needs no sympathy, and the latter camp has 1 month + 2 weeks to earn the necessary iso.

Spider-Gwen yellow is just a waste of everyone's time that serves no purpose except for the hardcore collectors who need every cover for every character.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx wrote:
    gravel wrote:

Disagree pretty strongly. Everyone would be better off with a top tier cover reward.

Best case scenario for spider-gwen yellow is that you have an extra cover of a power you will basically never use on a character that will be at or near the bottom of your "to level" list.

Consider a top tier cover for a really good 4*, even an older one like imhb or jg. Newer players get a very valuable cover for an essential 4*. Vets are most likely to have champed top tier 4*s, so most vets will get a champion level minimum. The only people who would get nothing are: those who already have maxed out their 4* champs; or those with 13 covers who haven't champed their top tier 4*. The former camp needs no sympathy, and the latter camp has 1 month + 2 weeks to earn the necessary iso.

Spider-Gwen yellow is just a waste of everyone's time that serves no purpose except for the hardcore collectors who need every cover for every character.
    exactly. i'd be grinding this very instant for a JG, IMHB, or Iceman cover. But same as last time - even if i did feel like dropping the shields for Nova, why bother?
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    At least the last few seasons, the 4* Shield Sim reward at 2000 has been a new-ish character. Two seasons ago, it was Miles Morales. Last season it was Nova, this season it's Gwen.

I don't know if this is a long-term pattern, but for some reason I expect this to continue, that they'll keep releasing two new 4*s a month, and one of them will be the 4* Shield Sim reward the next season.

Personally, I'd much prefer that reward simply be a LT or 25CP. But my guess is the thinking is, hey, if you're unable to hit top 100 in a PVE event or 1000 for the PVP reward, here's at least one more way to get a new character you might have missed.