Your champion 1v1 w/ chess clocks

Comments

• The chess clock is an interesting twist.

Like, depending on how strict it is, picking a character like Modern Black Widow as a 1* may actually end up being a bad thing: If you're tight on time and relying on pure match damage to win, and you have to take 5 turns before your opponent has to take even 1, then you're going to be behind on time, and if they're using Jugg's huge HP or IM35's (weak ****) defense tiles, you might clock yourself out.

The fast self acceleration is probably better then trying to win via stunlock, unless you got some big nukes in the back.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    star.pngicon_juggernaut.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png (can't believe nobody wants to use the single target nuke with complete board tanking)
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png

there's not a 1v1 fight that couldn't be beaten with wolvie on all tiers. Self healing, single-target nuke swinging monsters.
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    :star:icon_juggernaut.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png (can't believe nobody wants to use the single target nuke with complete board tanking)
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png

there's not a 1v1 fight that couldn't be beaten with wolvie on all tiers. Self healing, single-target nuke swinging monsters.

Well he is the best there is bub.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    star.pngicon_juggernaut.png Lots of hp, cheap boardshake and damage.

star.pngstar.pngicon_ares.png Good hp, very good single target damage. I love my storm, but she is paper thin and can literally die to a single Sunder after some match damage. If you can assume you can get 11 blue for wind storm, I can assume I can get 10 yellow for sunder.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_cyclops.png Single target damage and acceleration is just too powerful. Even healers would have trouble living through it.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_iceman.png Single target cheap stun with some self feeding and another damaging ability. Counters red users hard too.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Don't have much experience with this, so icon_wolverine.png is probably the safest bet, even without teammates.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    People who answer someone else besides Vision for three-star slot have never played with him when he tanks all colours. It's absolutely ridiculous. Collect five blue AP and you'll be doing tens of thousands of points of damage.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    People who answer someone else besides Vision for three-star slot have never played with him when he tanks all colours. It's absolutely ridiculous. Collect five blue AP and you'll be doing tens of thousands of points of damage.

Boosted pre-nerf, yes. He's still a good choice, but not the lock you might remember.

Now he does 1040 per match at max. The setup is that you are playing against another human opponent, so you would be able to match away the Density tile pretty quickly, as it appears randomly. You may only get a couple of matches in before it is gone. When his tile is out it gives him a 208 damage per AP per match. So you need to make sure you are doing at least two matches before you lose your tile to exceed the damage from cyclops' red and at least three per cast to make up for Cyc's black.

Cyc does 4283 from his red and 8171 from his black (with enough red on the board). His yellow accelerates his red, cascades, and gives the necessary reds to max his black.

Vision has 9690 health at max, Cyc has 9265.

A double-up from Cyc's red or a single black (with match damage) will down Vision. Vision needs to get about 7 or 8 hits in with his blue out, which is going to be tougher than it sounds against a human opponent. Of course, Vision can use 10 reds to deal 2710 without a density tile out, so realistically you could do two blue matches (cast density) and four red matches to do 6870 damage if your density tile survives the whole time. Then you would need two more blue matches, cast density again and do one or two more matches with the density tile out to win. If everything goes perfectly, you could win in 10 moves (less with a cascade of course). If your density tile gets destroyed early, longer.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_vision.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_x23.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_greengoblin.png
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    cardoor wrote:
    Just thought to add that each match would be blind - meaning you would not know what character your opponent was going to use until the match began (most characters have a natural nemesis that would make it too easy if you knew beforehand who you faced).

Sorry forgot about your post. Caught on what u were shooting at later. Sometimes I get distracted with my own thinking. Love this idea, would love to see a virtual chess board for this thought.
  • Marine8394
    Clyve wrote:
    Clyve wrote:
    Marine8394 wrote:
    1* Spidey.
    2*OBW
    3*KK
    4*Electra
    5*OML
    I play a lot of chess. So for me your data is incomplete. Defense first, with offensive moves soft knives that drive quietly deep. Love the concept though. This play is my first thought, thinking on the lines of parallel game concept. Man I like this thinking though.
    Level to level? Stage 1-12 to check mate? Now I have to rethink 4* 5* for castleing. Thanks for this great think! Nice!

KK can't trigger her heals, so probably not a good choice

But her greenflag.png is devastating. Only two more AP than Hulk's and does SO much more damage.

In that case why not pick Thor? Self-accelerates (arguable whether better than KK here), deals better single-target damage, and has higher HP.

Not sure what u mean? KK deals multiple damage, on an even scale. Everyone gets 3000+ damage. Thor only nails first target for high damage, then bleeds lower damage for rest of string.
  • Marine8394
    Also in the Queen position her versatile quality is damage. Stretching, mobility. Healing is actually the strength given to defense and offense around her.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    1* icon_juggernaut.png Almost too easy of a choice
    2* icon_ares.png High damage, High HP. (I would like to use icon_hawkeye.png, as speedshot is fun as hell, but he's less reliable on damage)
    3* icon_daredevil.png With everyone picking cyclops, he'll trigger my trap pretty easily, or I'll get a bunch of red. 2 casts of blue is permastun.
    4* icon_invisiblewoman.png Because invisibility makes you invincible and your turns will be shorter than the enemy 90% of the time >_>
    5* icon_silversurfer.png Probably the most reliable damage, imo. Everyone else feels focused on a single color.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marine8394 wrote:
    <snip>
    Not sure what u mean? KK deals multiple damage, on an even scale. Everyone gets 3000+ damage. Thor only nails first target for high damage, then bleeds lower damage for rest of string.

Kamala does deal damage evenly. It's somewhere around ~3300. Thor deals team damage of ~2200 plus additional damage to the target of another ~2200. With these numbers we can see that Kamala deals "more" damage to a full team of 3 enemies (~9900) and costs only 12AP. For damage and in a full team fight, Kamala's Green is the better choice (it's still a better choice against only two enemies, since it's equivalent damage but can be cast sooner due to the cheaper cost).

However this hypothetical is in regard to a 1v1 fight. In this case, Kamala would deal ~3300 damage but Thor would deal ~4400 damage.

It's a moot point, though, since Cyclops' Full Blast is better than either.
  • Marine8394
    Mawtful wrote:
    Marine8394 wrote:
    <snip>

Kamala does deal damage evenly. It's somewhere around ~3300. Thor deals team damage of ~2200 plus additional damage to the target of another ~2200. With these numbers we can see that Kamala deals "more" damage to a full team of 3 enemies (~9900) and costs only 12AP. For damage and in a full team fight, Kamala's Green is the better choice (it's still a better choice against only two enemies, since it's equivalent damage but can be cast sooner due to the cheaper cost).

However this hypothetical is in regard to a 1v1 fight. In this case, Kamala would deal ~3300 damage but Thor would deal ~4400 damage.

It's a moot point, though, since Cyclops' Full Blast is better than either.

Hmmm. You're technically right. So I am going to be superficial. She is way more cute as a Queen. icon_lol.gif
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Almost too easy. Only a Black Widow or Spidey stun lock to worry about in this tier.

star.pngstar.pngicon_blackwidow.png
    How do the powers matter if the AP is being stolen?

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironfist.png
    Against Cyclops this is tough but the attack tile puts a clock on any other character while Purple can accelerate.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_iceman.png
    I don't have a usable Iceman but this seems completely clear to me.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_greengoblin.png
    Versatility for the win.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    star.pngicon_juggernaut.png or icon_spiderman.png Juggs is probably the best option, but I never got to play with spidey and I think he is good so maybe he would be better...

star.pngstar.pngicon_ares.png I agree he is better than storm, both green and yellow can kill storm before she does anything.

star.pngstar.pngstar.png This one is tough I was going to say icon_cyclops.png but then someone mentioned icon_vision.png, and when all the board has your sign he is very good. Then someone mentioned icon_wolverine.png patch and in this case a 3/5/5 patch can be a beast, if he gets to 14 red he wins. Mmm undecided.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_iceman.png No doubt here. IMHB and Cyclops are very good too, fast nukes and self accelerateds, but iceman 4 turn stun is the deciding factor.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_greengoblin.png is probably the best right now 1vs1. OML is better in a team, but greeny is faster and in 1vs1 is better (OML has less regen, and no one to cast powers for his red). I doubt OML would have the chance of transforming playing against GG, one black and one purple and he is done. If I have to chose from my roster then OML because I have 0 GG covers icon_razz.gif
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Some things to note after reading more posts:

star.png
    icon_blackwidow.png
    MBW mainly has stunlock. If she is built 5/5, her purple will cost way too much for general use. If built 2/5 or something, would have even less hp. Going to discount her for relying entirely on stunlock.

icon_juggernaut.png vs. icon_spiderman.png
    Spidey has a pretty nice kit, but Juggz sheer stats and cheap abilities give him the win. Spidey red costs 9, deals 480 or 804 with a web tile out. 2754 hp.
    Juggz red costs 6, deals 1100 and 550 to himself. 3520 hp. His green board shake also helps to take out web tiles.

star.pngstar.png
    icon_blackwidow.png
    OBW has a neat way of dealing damage over time with espionage and healing herself along with ap steal. Allows for a slower grind, but a sustainable one which can keep enemy ap reserves down.

icon_ares.png
    I still stick with my original pick of Ares, mostly because his abilities all have good single target damage, he has good hp, and he is relatively fast. Even against OBW, his onslaught would be key, as it only costs 6 green and giving OBW green is not a problem. He would be able to fight her pretty well through the ap steal.

icon_wolverine.png
    While he does have good damage and true heal, it's also important to remember that his heal only activates under 50% and he doesn't have much hp to begin with. Against an actual person, this is easy to work around and damage could simply be held back until he is bursted down.

star.pngstar.pngstar.png
    icon_cyclops.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_vision.png
    These three seem to be the ones in contention. I originally picked cyke and while I still think he is the optimal choice in an open blind environment, the other 2 definitely have a very strong attribute.

icon_vision.png
    Against a player, maintaining vision's density tiles may not be as easy. One of those matchups that is heavily influenced by board.

icon_wolverine.png
    Patch has the red OHKO for solo battles, however I still feel his total hp is just a bit low. If he gets 14 red, he wins hands down. Getting there can be tricky if cyke can accelerate his red and fire twice. Likewise, a red-boosted full blast also OHKO patch. They would both be trying to deny each other red, but cyke can generate it. This is I think the closest matchup with a slight edge to cyke.

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    The interesting choices mentioned were icon_professorx.pngicon_invisiblewoman.png . Invisibility doesn't make you invincible, but it limits the enemy to aoe abilities. I do believe icon_iceman.png still has the right tools for the job. Able to stun them before they go invisible, with an aoe attack if they do.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    :star:icon_storm.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_thor.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_cyclops.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironman.png

For 1v1 battles it's important to be able to either feed yourself, or shake-up the board when the color you need isn't available. Ares would be great for 2*....unless you get a board with little to no green/yellow - then you are hosed, with nothing you can do about it. At least Thor can match red and maybe generate some yellow to keep progressing.

1v1 Ares no longer has the disadvantage of passing his green (no circumstance for using green twice). He is also faster and does more damage. Added to that he can suicide with his yellow and still win the match.
  • cardoor
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_spiderman.png - I know. I know. He's not a damage dealer but I've won so many times by just keeping my opponent stunned while I whittle them down that I can consider it a winning strategy. Add to that his amazing (ahem) purpletile.png defense tiles and his ability to heal equals a slow road to victory.

Probably making the same mistake I made with MBW. Even though having control over the board when your opponent is stunned is powerful, match damage vs high HP is risky, particularly when you have low HP. +1 anyway for being unique!
  • cardoor
    cletus1985 wrote:
    I really like this topic, however it doesn't state whether we're playing by the rules of maxed anything or going by our own roster. I'll choose to go based on my personal roster.

I was thinking current rosters (wherever they currently are, champions included)
  • cardoor
    Buret0 wrote:

Nova is an interesting choice because he can keep the enemy airborne, build up his own strikes, and is fast. There are a lot of other good choices in this class, like HB, Cyclops, or Gwen (who probably has the best damage output, but her burst healing makes her less useful). 4Pool is interesting for the damage, self-healing, and the ability to slow your human opponent down in their strongest color, but loses his third ability. I would avoid Rhulk and JG because they rely on AoE damage and he has no strike tiles to power his red. Ghost Rider could just wait the battle out and then end it in one shot, so he would be a very tough opponent.

In the Nova PVP I remember that when Nova was the only one left on the opposing team he would not go airborne (the animation would fire but he would move next turn anyway). That might not still be the case though and it might have only been for Nova himself, I do not remember if all characters acted that way when they were the only ones left.