Your champion 1v1 w/ chess clocks

cardoor
cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Who would you take into battle if you could choose just one MPQ character and you were playing against another person who could also choose one character? The match would be timed. Like using a chess clock, each side would have a set amount of time to make their moves (in this case 10 minutes). After you make your move, your opponents clock begins to countdown and vice versa until the match is won or one of you runs out of time on your clock.

- Matches are by * level (1* vs 1*, 2* vs 2* etc).
- no team-ups or boosts
- blind matches (you would not know who you opponent is playing until the match begins)

Here is mine, but I am curious about who you would bring when instead of playing vs the AI, you faced your fellow players:

1* icon_blackwidow.png
2* icon_ares.png
3* icon_groot.png
4* icon_ghostrider.png
5* icon_wolverine.png

I will probably change these with some more thought, but wanted to provide an example.

Comments

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    star.pngicon_juggernaut.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_storm.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_cyclops.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_iceman.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png

Definitely pick Juggs in the 1* category. Lots of health, cheap attacks that are very damaging, plus board shake. 2* category is hard - I can definitely see the argument for Ares. Went with Storm in the end, because it's game over after a Wind Storm. Chose 3clops in the 3* range, as he has two very damaging attacks, and self accelerates into his red. No question about Iceman in the 4* range - very cheap 4 turn stun, with nuke attached, and self accelerates into that too. OML is OML.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree with above, but for 3☆ I'd select icon_lukecage.png maybe icon_ironfist.png
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    1* Spidey.
    2*OBW
    3*KK
    4*Electra
    5*OML
    I play a lot of chess. So for me your data is incomplete. Defense first, with offensive moves soft knives that drive quietly deep. Love the concept though. This play is my first thought, thinking on the lines of parallel game concept. Man I like this thinking though.
    Level to level? Stage 1-12 to check mate? Now I have to rethink 4* 5* for castleing. Thanks for this great think! Nice!
  • Clyve
    Clyve Posts: 91
    Marine8394 wrote:
    1* Spidey.
    2*OBW
    3*KK
    4*Electra
    5*OML
    I play a lot of chess. So for me your data is incomplete. Defense first, with offensive moves soft knives that drive quietly deep. Love the concept though. This play is my first thought, thinking on the lines of parallel game concept. Man I like this thinking though.
    Level to level? Stage 1-12 to check mate? Now I have to rethink 4* 5* for castleing. Thanks for this great think! Nice!

KK can't trigger her heals, so probably not a good choice
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Just thought to add that each match would be blind - meaning you would not know what character your opponent was going to use until the match began (most characters have a natural nemesis that would make it too easy if you knew beforehand who you faced).
  • star.pngicon_storm.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_thor.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironman.png

For 1v1 battles it's important to be able to either feed yourself, or shake-up the board when the color you need isn't available. Ares would be great for 2*....unless you get a board with little to no green/yellow - then you are hosed, with nothing you can do about it. At least Thor can match red and maybe generate some yellow to keep progressing.
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Anyone with a good stun move would work nicely. I really enjoy the 1v1 matches, and wish my 4 star characters were better covered so I could compete a little more often. They should totally add something like this to the game.

My 5 choices

One star: spidey
    Two star: storm
    Three star: cyclops
    Four star: ice man
    Five star: Logan
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    Clyve wrote:
    Marine8394 wrote:
    1* Spidey.
    2*OBW
    3*KK
    4*Electra
    5*OML

But her greenflag.png is devastating. Only two more AP than Hulk's and does SO much more damage.
  • JeffCascadian
    JeffCascadian Posts: 665 Critical Contributor
    star.pngicon_ironman.png - I don't have much choice since this is the one one I have left.
    star.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png - My Thor does more damage with his powers but they take longer to charge and he doesn't heal.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_spiderman.png - I know. I know. He's not a damage dealer but I've won so many times by just keeping my opponent stunned while I whittle them down that I can consider it a winning strategy. Add to that his amazing (ahem) purpletile.png defense tiles and his ability to heal equals a slow road to victory.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_invisiblewoman.png - There's a reason this is the only character I've beaten Crash of the Titans with: You can't hit what you can't see. Like with Spidey, it's a slow road to victory but it's a good one.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_silversurfer.png - I only have two to choose from and my Old Man Logan's only power only works when he's on a team.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    morph3us wrote:
    Definitely pick Juggs in the 1* category. Lots of health, cheap attacks that are very damaging, plus board shake. 2* category is hard - I can definitely see the argument for Ares. Went with Storm in the end, because it's game over after a Wind Storm. Chose 3clops in the 3* range, as he has two very damaging attacks, and self accelerates into his red. No question about Iceman in the 4* range - very cheap 4 turn stun, with nuke attached, and self accelerates into that too. OML is OML.

Juggernaut and Cyclops are such concrete picks for their tiers, you'd only pick anyone else if you were planning to lose. Storm is just too squishy, and Wind Storm expensive, for me to take her over Ares although she's a close 2nd.

I don't have that much experience with Iceman, so it's a bit hard for me to comment with conviction, but he counters both Hulkbuster and Jean fairly well and I think those would be fairly common picks. I'd maybe be interested in seeing how X23 fares, since she's got in-match healing going for her, although it's really more about stopping that cheap stun, so maybe someone who's going to counter pick Blue, like IW of all people. Ultimately, I think Bobby is probably the optimal pick.

The 5* tier is a bit tougher. OML actually loses a huge chunk of his regen + extra Strike tiles, so I'm not sure if he'll actually be the best pick. Phoenix loses her Rebirth, which may very well be enough to drop her from contention. BSSM could be a decent pick in this tier, since he'd counter enemy Strike tiles and has multiple stuns which would let him control the board fairly well. Of course, Surfer stun immunity pretty much counters BSSM, so we've got a nice little RPS strategy forming. I know nothing about Goblin except he can lose a power if his CD doesn't expire. Does this mean that the 5* tier actually has a balanced meta?
    But her greenflag.png is devastating. Only two more AP than Hulk's and does SO much more damage.
    In a 1v1 situation, Thor has a better damage:ap ratio on his green, but I still think that if you're not picking Cyclops in the 3* tier then you're picking a losing option.
  • star.png juggs
    star.pngstar.png ares
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png vision
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png iceman
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png OML
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I really like this topic, however it doesn't state whether we're playing by the rules of maxed anything or going by our own roster. I'll choose to go based on my personal roster.

1 star.png : IM35 (My last standing)
    2 star.png : Storm (Raging Tempest is dangerous)
    3 star.png : Patch or Gamora (Both have devastating 1 on 1 moves, tough choice for me as strengths/weaknesses balance well 1v1)
    4 star.png : Thoress (There are better options, but not on my roster. Stun + high damage could do very well in 1v1 though)
    5 star.png : Phoenix (RNG absolutely decided this choice for me)
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    star.pngicon_yelena.png
    star.pngstar.pngicon_spiderman.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_falcon.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_hulkcho.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_wolverine.png *

*Mine is 0/2/0

Or, if I'm being serious:

star.pngstar.pngicon_ms_marvel.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_scarletwitch.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_cyclops.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_silversurfer.png **

**Mine is 5/5/1
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    1* Jugs - Hard to top this choice.
    2* Thor - Was going to go with Ares but I think Thor is safer will more colours being useful
    3* Vision - Now that he is tanking, he may actually be good
    4* Iceman - Cheap stun that turns into deadly punch. Does not have the disadvantage like Ares.
    5* Green Goblin - So much utility
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    star.png Juggs
    star.pngstar.png Storm
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png Cyclops
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Nova
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png OML

Juggs was the obvious choice for his speed, health, board shake, and damage output.

Storm is interesting because she can stunlock, gather AP, and do counter damage when low on health. I was actually thinking Wolverine or Moonstone because they don't rely on AoE. Wolverine has excellent damage output, strike tile generation, and passive healing. Moonstone gets a ton of health, a good single attack, tile theft, and can really hurt someone if they don't generate tiles to steal.

Cyclops has the best raw damage output against a single target and is self-accelerating.

Nova is an interesting choice because he can keep the enemy airborne, build up his own strikes, and is fast. There are a lot of other good choices in this class, like HB, Cyclops, or Gwen (who probably has the best damage output, but her burst healing makes her less useful). 4Pool is interesting for the damage, self-healing, and the ability to slow your human opponent down in their strongest color, but loses his third ability. I would avoid Rhulk and JG because they rely on AoE damage and he has no strike tiles to power his red. Ghost Rider could just wait the battle out and then end it in one shot, so he would be a very tough opponent.

OML is the obvious choice in the 5* class. Passive regen, excellent match damage, and unstoppable once he transforms. Phoenix can't transform, so I would leave her aside. GG and BSS can't heal. Surfer can heal, but can't really deal with OML.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    star.pngicon_juggernaut.png most health most damage one headbutt is massive damage on he 1* level.
    star.pngstar.pngicon_ares.png sunder and rampage do too much damage. Although moonstone is close with purple and red
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_cyclops.png there is a reason eveyone hats the Xforce DPDQ and it is cyclops. Room is up there in one V one
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_nova.png this is a guess, but with how cheep his powers are you at going to take a lot of damage fast.
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png also a guess and I am going to say GG. OML self heals and that is a huge help but it takes a lot to get going. Goblin can do some massive damage. Spiderman would also be interesting with a stun and anti strike time capability
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    I was thinking about this again today and OML may not be the top choice in 5 star.png land. His passive healing won't be optimal without teammates.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    star.pngstar.pngicon_ares.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.png this one is really, really tough but I might say icon_cyclops.png due to pure damage and speed although without a time limit I would say icon_daredevil.png because his blue stun is so good it really isn't hard to get enough AP to fire it twice since after one stun (9 blue AP) your opponent would get one turn to your three turns and once you fire it twice the match is over since you can manipulate it so your opponent doesn't get a turn - ten minutes though is a lot of time and Ambush can deal a lot of damage so in the end I will go with icon_daredevil.pngicon_e_biggrin.gif
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_iceman.png
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png not sure don't have enough experience with these characters to know at this time

Curious how IM40 would stack up solo in 3* with his new yellow. The 2 turn stun though is still rough in a one on one match because there is a good chance they can match one or two of his yellow tiles away in that time. Maybe we will see him in a new Clash of Titans match to find out?
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Buret0 wrote:
    star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_nova.png

Storm is interesting because she can stunlock, gather AP, and do counter damage when low on health. I was actually thinking Wolverine or Moonstone because they don't rely on AoE. Wolverine has excellent damage output, strike tile generation, and passive healing. Moonstone gets a ton of health, a good single attack, tile theft, and can really hurt someone if they don't generate tiles to steal.

I think I'd have to go with icon_ares.png, but it's a tough call. icon_storm.png seems a little slow, and a little low on health.
    Buret0 wrote:
    Cyclops has the best raw damage output against a single target and is self-accelerating.

icon_cyclops.png was my second thought, and I think a good case can be made for icon_ironfist.png, but I agree that this is where I came down in the end.
    Buret0 wrote:
    Nova is an interesting choice because he can keep the enemy airborne, build up his own strikes, and is fast. There are a lot of other good choices in this class, like HB, Cyclops, or Gwen (who probably has the best damage output, but her burst healing makes her less useful). 4Pool is interesting for the damage, self-healing, and the ability to slow your human opponent down in their strongest color, but loses his third ability. I would avoid Rhulk and JG because they rely on AoE damage and he has no strike tiles to power his red. Ghost Rider could just wait the battle out and then end it in one shot, so he would be a very tough opponent.

Might agree with this if the opponent would stay airborne, but when there's only one enemy, they come down immediately.

I'd go with icon_iceman.png, though I think a good case can be made for icon_cyclops.png, due to his self-acceleration (especially with 5 yellow).
    Buret0 wrote:
    OML is the obvious choice in the 5* class. Passive regen, excellent match damage, and unstoppable once he transforms. Phoenix can't transform, so I would leave her aside. GG and BSS can't heal. Surfer can heal, but can't really deal with OML.

Healing isn't terribly important within a battle. And OML wouldn't be doing a lot of that, without team-mates.

I haven't played him, but I'd probably go with icon_greengoblin.png (well, if we were playing maxed/equivalent ones; if mine, I'd certainly have to go with OML).
  • Clyve
    Clyve Posts: 91
    Clyve wrote:
    Marine8394 wrote:
    1* Spidey.
    2*OBW
    3*KK
    4*Electra
    5*OML

In that case why not pick Thor? Self-accelerates (arguable whether better than KK here), deals better single-target damage, and has higher HP.