Don't Call It A Comeback

JamieMadrox
JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
edited March 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
A couple of posts recently have made me nostalgic for some things that we've had in the game in the past, but that we no longer see. So let's start a list of fondly remembered features/events/whatever that we'd like to see make a comeback. I'll put this out there right now though; no complaining about true healing, character changes (nerfs/buffs/balances) or I'll lay the smack down on you. My list:
  1. Buy-in events. Pay HP to join and get smaller brackets with better rewards.
  2. Double ISO. This should be a regular thing, but even if we got it every now and then it would be cool.
  3. Global progress PVE bar. Once a certain number of points are hit globally in a PVE it opens a special node or nodes with better than normal prizes.

That's all I can think of for now. What are yours?

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never had the pleasure to experience those... they sound FUN.

I'd try a buy-in event at least once!

I've heard a lot about Environment Tiles in the past, and when I first joined and read a guide that talked about them, I was eager to try them only find that they were nowhere in sight. I'd like to get a chance to try them out.

Maybe some quarterly events that feature these past methods of play?

What happened to the event where you had to have a 1*, 2*, and 3* character on your team to play? You can do 3*, 4*, 5* now too and be as close as you can be to tiered PVP.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Three words - HOT DOG STAND
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unlocked prologue, for crissakes...
  • There used to be buy-in events?

That sounds awesome.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I miss the 1* tournament. I don't know why, but I always enjoyed that one, crashing my Hawkeye/Juggs/Storm team into Yelena's and Widows was entertaining, and there was never any clearly OP strategy or insanely boosted characters. Just lvl 40-50 weak-**** characters battling other lvl 40-50 weak-**** characters. It was basically Balance of Power without the scaling. Good times...
  • Cylaali
    Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    4* pvp!! 4* cover as progression at 800, 1000 gets you 25 cp, 1500 gets you a 5*

Oh also, this game is lacking more characters that play well with Starlord. Fix this.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cylaali wrote:
    Oh also, this game is lacking more characters that play well with Starlord.
    Who?
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Three words - HOT DOG STAND

Atleast we have Hot Dog Shower, thanks Totally Rubbish Hulk
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I miss 2.5 hour cycles in PVE, sentry bombing and no shields in PVP.

Oh wait, no I do not. This game has improved dramatically!

Although I agree w/JM, some of those things were cool. However if I recall the buyin events were still rather dicey, I believe they used to award a recruit or heroic token and given the HP not sure it was a super great investment.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually miss buying covers with HP. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buy-in events would be great for the more competitive players out there. They were basically more elaborate lightning rounds, though, and in the current situation of the game, you'd need a good 4/5* roster to get some worth out of it, prize-wise.

Unlocked prologue would be first on my list, and everybody loves double ISO, but I'd also like to see a return of the 1 CP reward for completing DDQ.

More event-like PvPs like Black Vortex and Deadpool's Valentine's Day PvP would also be fun.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I actually miss buying covers with HP. icon_e_confused.gif

Can you imagine how much money they'd make if they did promo events a couple times a year, where they turn it back on for a weekend?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Double Iso is the easy one. Ignoring that doubling all iso rewards in the game should be done yesterday, even if we had double Iso in the offseason week, it'd be a big boon.

I miss the Anniversary lightning rounds which ran every 7 hours. That was the right way to run 24 LRs, not cramming them in two days.

I also miss the 20 player LR brackets.

I vaguely remember people **** about No Holds Barred having cruddy rewards given the buyin cost. Maybe that was just normal forum nonsense. I'm all for bringing that back with 4* rewards and/or CP/LT

I miss Tetris Ultron.

I miss the developer Q&A.

I miss the final grind of a 48 hour sub rewarding something, anything.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I miss the non-nuke-heavy playstyles afforded by the old un-nerfed Magneto and Spider-Man 3*s. Turning the game into actual puzzles was great.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Wow. I forgot about the buy in. I would love, no, LOVE, to see the globel PVE come back! I don't know why it was taken out in the first place. Double ISO should be added back, with a fresh additional feature that gives even more awards per achievement.

I would also like to see the double token awards brought back. Some nodes had two tokens. One could be standard another at least heroic.

I also did not mind when they had health pack awards as a reward in some nodes.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I was going to leave a comment in the Women's History Month thread that if they don't give us double Iso all of March, they're sexist pigs. But I decided too many people wouldn't understand that I was joking. So, double Iso, yeah. It used to happen from time to time; now it's just for the Anniversary?

Most of the changes to the game have been overwhelmingly positive. Or I've just gotten used to them. I miss Environment tiles, but they had such enormous balance problems. The one thing I definitely wish they would go back on is the 2-3-4 PvE essentials. It's a system I benefit from, having a wide roster, but I still hate it.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I miss the days when roster slots cost me 100 HP. Wouldn't mind seeing that again. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing I would like to see return is ten packs guaranteed at least one of the featured character.

Another thing I would like to return is new character award structure in release events, personal rewards would give a top 10 finish 2 out of 3 covers and then a top 100 alliance finish would get you the 3rd cover.
    I don't remember the exact award structure, so I'm just using the following as an example
    The following may NOT be accurate, it's just an example
    :
    Personnel Ranks :
    Rank 1 - 2 offered covers 1, 2, and 3
    Rank 3 - 49 offered covers 2 and 3
    Rank 51 - 100 offered cover 3

Alliance Rank :
    Rank 1 - 100 gave cover 1.

Now Alliance top 100 gives cover 3. They said the change was made because it gave players too many options. Before, a top 10 personal finish with a top 100 alliance would give you a 1/1/1 character. Now a top 10 personal, top 100 alliance gives you a 0/1/2. The only way to get all 3 covers for a new character is to get a top 2 finish now.

JJ

again, I don't remember the exact reward structure, I just remember that you didn't need to get a top 2 rank for 1 of each of the 3 covers. You could get 2 on personal rank and then the 3rd from alliance rewards.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Forest enviornmental tiles with 1* storm who could collect all tiles for 5AP. It was when a 1* could take on a 3*.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Before, a top 10 personal finish with a top 100 alliance would give you a 1/1/1 character. Now a top 10 personal, top 100 alliance gives you a 0/1/2. The only way to get all 3 covers for a new character is to get a top 2 finish now.

No, top 10 gets you 3 covers (1/1/1), alliance gets you a 4th (1/1/2), and top 2 get a 5th (2/1/2). PvE rewards are more generous than they used to be, even for new character releases.