Are Others Feed Up With choice of Recent Characters?

Comments

• Seriously
    Seriously Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Personally, I love Squirrel Girl, and truly believe they need a new 5* iteration - I mean, she's beaten so many villiains. Maybe a Tippytoe hero as well. I've also recently read Spider-Gwen as well and meh, I don't really understand why people would complain. Silk for the next release imo.
  • colwag wrote:
    IFORANI wrote:

Since I must. It is referencing the recall ability of my mind that the "official" D3 polls I referenced. I'm sorry if that combination of words lead one to believe I was just wildly guessing somehow.

And what official polls are those?

Like, the in-game surveys? I was not aware any results of them were ever released!

Was there another poll I was unaware of?

Like I said I might not be recalling correctly, so this again I apologize for. I thought I had seen results on these surveys or polls not by players but by d3. I'm sorry since I cannot find a post anywhere with these results. However, I wasn't intentionally widely guessing on Gambit. I'm sure Gwen was also highly requested since I have no reason to disagree.

I did find post similar to this one such as the one where Malcrof gives some truth about characters. Love that post. Jan 18 2016 date of post.

Didn't mean to offend anyone With Gambit just remember reading he was mentioned as top requested character but they Gambit reasons he was not coming like mentioned previously.
  • Seriously wrote:
    Personally, I love Squirrel Girl, and truly believe they need a new 5* iteration - I mean, she's beaten so many villiains. Maybe a Tippytoe hero as well. I've also recently read Spider-Gwen as well and meh, I don't really understand why people would complain. Silk for the next release imo.

They're clearly saving that for Squirrel Girl (Classic)

Or better yet.

Squirrel Girl (Squirrelbuster)
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    I'm not fet up with the new characters, as It got me to read the new Ms. Marvel comics with Kamala and they are really a good read and I like the art. i am fet up with the flux of spider-verse characters. Also, they haven't stopped with old characters as we just got Eddie Brock recently. Plus they will probably put some semi obscure but known characters in that have a place. It probably takes them time to acquire rights, plus they have to work with Disney and Fox to get those rights. I'm sure we will be getting more mutants closer to those movie release dates. I'm sure the next big event we will get will be Apocalypse similar to Ultron and Galactus events. Keep in mind that is going to be the next big Mutant arc in the comics is the Apocalypse Wars. And those that requested Arc Angel we will probably get the new Post Black Vortex Angel with god like powers and fire wings if they keep rounding out the x-men from All New X-men. What I think would be a cool idea is introducing a Civil War Event that lets an alliance choose a side based on majority and have them battle an opposing alliance in a PVE event that lets youb only use characters based on the faction that was choosen. But I know that a stretch. And to whoever said this game wont last much longer, PFFF Bahahaaha!. There are too many players that drop a good 1k on this game upon new champ release and keep the game going. Plus our next character we are getting based on the Clue is a classic character still relevant in the marvel comics today.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    smoq84 wrote:
    I am also a little tired of the recent characters choice.
    There was a poll run here some days ago regarding the age of the players. Most of us are around 30 years old, also I guess those players are mostly making purchases. Meanwhile we get many new characters like Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, kid Nova, Kamala Khan, even All-New X-Men, etc.
    But also we get tons of Spider-chars and Wolverines which I'm also sick of...

I would like to see more iconic Marvel characters instead of unknown Spider-Gwen or next version of Wolverine. Where are Cable, Wasp, Mr.Sinister, Apocalypse, Angel, original Nick Fury, Namor, Norman Osborn, Dr.Strange (yes, they are probably waiting for the movie), Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Lizard, Sentinels, Blackbolt, Black Cat, Emma Frost, Havoc, Polaris, Kitty Pryde, etc...

They also had a list of most wanted characters, but they doesn't seem to care about players wishes :/
    I highly suspect that most of the X people are on a do not use list - because we haven't seen one since X-23 (maybe was released to coincide with her comic). Dr. Strange most likely to release same time as his movie. Maybe the next major push will be Inhumans (if comic readers push the sales), as this comic is supposedly made to replace the popularity of X-mutants (FOX movie rights). I'm just making all this up. icon_e_smile.gif
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    colwag wrote:
    >Doesn't think Spider-Gwen is a highly requested character

>Spider-Gwen is selling better then Spider-Man. And, uh, literally everybody else, too. (sans Star Wars and Secret Wars)

She's kinda crazy popular.

Problem with that is lots of different types of people play. I honest to god had no idea she even existed before her release. To me its just another Spidey & theres already too many of them, especially lately.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you check in on some of the other Marvel games, you will see trends, D3/Demiurge can add 1 or 2 chars that the players want here and there, but mostly they add who Marvel asks them to. Take MFF for example, they just added a hoard of spidey chars.. and recently added ones we already have..

When they do get to add ones based off their polls, they do it right.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Wait, you want less obscure characters and you suggest High Evolutionary and Vindicator?

Now, I'd like Dr. Strange as much as the next person but I can see why they are putting in characters that are currently being promoted. Also, I really like Spider Gwen's look so cannot be mad at her.

You raise the key point, which is marvel entertainment's heavy influence on the choice of new character releases (despite official denials of course icon_mrgreen.gif ). They want a consistent blanketing of consumer awareness for certain comics (see i.e. kamala and thora last year) and use gaming as a way to do so. So not surprised Gwen makes an appearance (already in Marvel Future Fight & Contest of Champions).
  • puppychow
    Malcrof wrote:
    If you check in on some of the other Marvel games, you will see trends, D3/Demiurge can add 1 or 2 chars that the players want here and there, but mostly they add who Marvel asks them to. Take MFF for example, they just added a hoard of spidey chars.. and recently added ones we already have..

When they do get to add ones based off their polls, they do it right.

To clarify to this point. . . MFF's update yesterday added: Carnage, Thora, Kamala.
  • puppychow
    RoboDuck wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    >Doesn't think Spider-Gwen is a highly requested character

>Spider-Gwen is selling better then Spider-Man. And, uh, literally everybody else, too. (sans Star Wars and Secret Wars)

She's kinda crazy popular.

Problem with that is lots of different types of people play. I honest to god had no idea she even existed before her release. To me its just another Spidey & theres already too many of them, especially lately.

I stopped reading comics regularly since the 90s. So I have zero clue on a lot of these new characters. If Gwen is that popular, perhaps we'll see additional variations ( star.pngstar.png or star.pngstar.pngstar.png ) at some point in the future. . .
  • puppychow
    kensterr wrote:
    smoq84 wrote:
    I am also a little tired of the recent characters choice.
    There was a poll run here some days ago regarding the age of the players. Most of us are around 30 years old, also I guess those players are mostly making purchases. Meanwhile we get many new characters like Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, kid Nova, Kamala Khan, even All-New X-Men, etc.
    But also we get tons of Spider-chars and Wolverines which I'm also sick of...

I would like to see more iconic Marvel characters instead of unknown Spider-Gwen or next version of Wolverine. Where are Cable, Wasp, Mr.Sinister, Apocalypse, Angel, original Nick Fury, Namor, Norman Osborn, Dr.Strange (yes, they are probably waiting for the movie), Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Lizard, Sentinels, Blackbolt, Black Cat, Emma Frost, Havoc, Polaris, Kitty Pryde, etc...

They also had a list of most wanted characters, but they doesn't seem to care about players wishes :/
    I highly suspect that most of the X people are on a do not use list - because we haven't seen one since X-23 (maybe was released to coincide with her comic). Dr. Strange most likely to release same time as his movie. Maybe the next major push will be Inhumans (if comic readers push the sales), as this comic is supposedly made to replace the popularity of X-mutants (FOX movie rights). I'm just making all this up. icon_e_smile.gif

I think we're past due on having Coulson, Bobbi, etc. in MPQ. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • colwag wrote:
    But hey guess what happened to old Steve: He's somehow got his super body back and he's going to be Captain America again! (While... Sam Wilson is also simultaneously Captain America? idk) But, he's got a new uniform and a new shield (Since Sammy boy still gets to keep the old one). Would a 4* of that New Steve Rodgers Cap be a New character, or because it's a Steve Rodgers Cap, be a classic one?

Classic vs New is a weird and arbitrary measurement.

Actually, this has happened several times before where both a replacement/original are both the same superhero:
    After Cap's Death in Civil War, Bucky took over the mantle. When he was brought back, for awhile, both Steve and Bucky were Captain America. Although in that case, Bucky kept the old suit, and Steve became more of a Secret Agent type/head of S.H.I.E.L.D. It wasn't until Bucky's fake-out death in "Fear Itself" that he went back to his Winter Solider outfit.

On DC's side: After Bruce Wayne's death in Final Crisis, **** Grayson became Batman for awhile. Eventually, Bruce Wayne was resurrected (shocker!), but for awhile, both of them went around as Batman. Bruce felt **** was a better role model/trainer for Damian than himself, so there were 2 Batmen running around.

It wasn't until the Post-Flashpoint New 52 reboot did it go back to Bruce as the only Batman, and **** back in his Nightwing persona. (That said, the Earth 2 Version of **** Grayson is now the Batman of that world.)
  • Philly484
    I'm still going to say the reason as to non mutants is they are waiting on Apocalypse movie release. I don't see their being an issue as D3 probably doesn't have to acquire the rights from Fox necessarily as Marvel still releases X-men comics every week. If they were using the likeness of the movie characters from the Fox films then I would agree with the statements as to why they are "taking a break from mutants." Plus I seem to remember the community complaining not too long ago about how there were too many X-Men, and now that they haven't released any in a while, the community complains they don't release enough. Come on now, don't complain about it then when they stop; then turn right around and complain they need to do it again. I for one am a X-Men fan since the 90's, but I am not going to fault them if Marvel is telling them to release these newer characters to promote the comics. What if they release Hercules are you all going to complain about that? I wouldn't! I really like Herc's story arc's especially the God Squad Story arc. So don't make the game a double edge sword for yourself if you are one of those people who complain when they do something and then complain when they stop doing it. The only consensus from the community that I truly see is the strong distaste for Variations of the same Champ we already have.

For those wanting the following characters: Dr. Strange, any X-Men or X affiliated characters, Goblins, or Inhumans. They are probably on their way since all just listed have new comics they are involved in. Plus it is probably taking them time to create new abilities and powers that set these new champs apart from their predecessors. Also on the note of X-Men, the community really back-lashed against the Art for Iceman; and then they got X-23 and Phoenix and Old Man Logan, so excuse me if I too wouldn't take a break from X-Men. Then $5 says that once they stop with the flux of Spidey characters someone will ultimately complain we don't have any Spidey characters, they are just releasing Avengers and X-men.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I think there's a pretty decent mix. I do think they need more villains, though, and more importantly, they need some actual plot.

The last bit of story we got was in the new Venom event, which managed to utterly fail to move the story forward at all. The Sentry event is the last time I know about where something actually interesting happened. I realize the paradigm of the game is HAMMER vs SHIELD and you can't really do a whole lot to mess with that, but there are options besides just "Here's a new character along with zero plot or standalone plot."

All I know is, Moonstone seems like she's getting awfully lonely on her side of the field.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's weird about this to me is that I can remember seeing people ask for Spider-Gwen and Nova many times on this forum, but now that they're out mad people are complaining about them because they are "lame" or "their art sucks" or they are "for kids."

You just can't please gamers.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    I just want to see variety is all.

I don't necessarily care if a new release is a "classic" or newer character, but to get yet ANOTHER Spiderverse or Wolverine character when there are so many others to choose from a vast catalog of characters is frustrating. I view most of these as "alts" more than their own unique characters, especially Totally Terrible Hulk & Miles. They just don't feel as special as a brand new character that has yet to appear in MPQ.

IMO Nova is a good example of the type of character they should be adding. It's a decent compromise I think for Marvel pushing their new characters on us without it feeling like a re-skin of something that's already in the game. Kid Nova is a new-ish character compared the classics in their catalog, but he's completely new in this game. I'm not that well versed in any incarnation of Nova, but at least he's not the 3rd or 4th Nova in the game.
  • I'm starting to get tired of seeing Wolverines and various Spiders being thrown in; I'd really prefer new characters.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2016
    Still no Thanos

Why would they release Thanos before Avengers 3? I assume Thanos will come into the game, but I also assume he won't be playable a la Ultron & Gorgon.
    Dr Strange

Why would they release Dr Strange before his movie?
    Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde

They're taking a break from X-Men (presumably while Disney and Fox swing their tinykitties at each other over licensing).
    Adam Warlock

Since Vision basically IS Adam Warlock in the MCU, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Red Skull

Wouldn't mind having, I guess. If First Avenger were about to come out, I assume we'd get it. Since it isn't... I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Green Goblin

Wouldn't mind having, wouldn't be surprised if we got him soon.
    High Evolutionary

Ooooooh! Now, I get it, this was a joke post. Nevermind.
  • Philly484
    Jarvind wrote:
    What's weird about this to me is that I can remember seeing people ask for Spider-Gwen and Nova many times on this forum, but now that they're out mad people are complaining about them because they are "lame" or "their art sucks" or they are "for kids."

You just can't please gamers.

Nope I completely agree. Like I said earlier ppl complained that there was too many X-Men, now that they don't release any for a while they complain. The sad reality is that some characters probably will never get released. Plus whoever this new champ that has been hinted at "Even Villains need Love too" I'm sure some ppl will be like OMG really! Technically if they wanted to follow the Dark reign story line too a tee we should have had more characters from Doom's Cabal like Namor and Emma Frost. I'm sure Emma is in the works as she is a very popular character from classics to current comics. The only problem I would see is that working on new powers for characters is probably getting harder. So in reality D3 need to introduce some new Match Colors and special tiles that will add some more variety to the game. Adding Emma I would assume her power Set at the moment would be Prpl, Blue, Ylw, like ProfX and her Blue would probably make her Immune to damage and create Def tiles, like Sue Storm Ylw, Her prpl would be a Psionic Attack probably does AOE damage and Stuns, and Ylw I could see being a AP stealing ability that she uses mind control to take control of enemy tiles.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    What I find funny is how incredibly stupid the addition of totally awesome hulk is. Not only is he a cheap rip-off of a character, but they put him in this game in a desperate attempt to sell comics, but make him so bad that everyone hates him even more than his already unnecessary inclusion. Talk about a completely backwards plan...