Are Others Feed Up With choice of Recent Characters?

Comments

• Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Eichen wrote:
    I'm just sick of new characters in general. Give us a month without a new character release so we can catch up. Instead of creating a new character the designers can spend time creating a new event storyline.

And will you buy cover packs and fund the game in the month that they shut down their main revenue source?
  • With this month being a Deadpool theme, I think maybe Gwenpool is a good choice. Since the star level or scaling honestly matters not in this game i would like it to Be a sole 10 star. Just a suggestion of sense which totally also makes no mind in this game. I hope my sarcasm is clear.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:

I think D3's scared of that point because they don't really have a lot of options to put new characters in. That's why 4s are flooding right now. Only tier that has room for them.

Like, if they added 20 new 2*s, would that make anybody excited?

It's not about tiers having room, it's about game progression. Adding extra 2 stars slows the progression of 1 and 2 star players. The same goes for 3 stars, as each cover would turn up less often as event rewards and random covers.

Having restarted on my Steam account there is a really good progression between the lower tiers at the moment where you are always making progress, especially now with championing. Adding extra characters would just muck it up.

Four stars are the progression tier they are building, and 5 stars are a highly desirable carrot with no progression path. Once they have 4 stars where they want them they either build a path to five star land or they create a tier between 4 and 5 star and add progression paths.

In the 2 years I have been playing I've never seen the Devs afraid of what comes next.
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    It's Marvel

They're moving away from the Stan Lee-Jack Kirby characters, the few they are keeping around they are making them less appealing to this generation of readers by either killing them, disbanding them or making them look old, cause there's nothing kids hate more than old people

Wolverine(Logan) - dead
    Old Man Logan - Old (this may be selling well but am curious to what age group)
    Captain America - take away his super serum, make him look old, white hair, frail (though he's coming back)
    Fantastic Four - disband them
    Nova - dead, lets make a kid Nova to appeal to this generation
    Thor - unworthy
    Hulk - MIA or in the trunk of Amadeus Cho's car...

Nothing wrong with the latest batch of characters like Spider-Gwen, kid Nova, Totally Awesome Hulk etc, I'll use them in game but their story does not appeal to me

Am more of a classic Marvel fan myself so yes I would love to see more classic characters, but there is very little D3-Demiurge can do but run polls and show the results to the Marvel folks

If there is enough demand for classic characters am sure Marvel will allow them to squeeze in a few every now and then, but for now expect them to go through many of Marvel's newer characters before you see classic ones
  • AdamMagus wrote:
    It's Marvel

They're moving away from the Stan Lee-Jack Kirby characters, the few they are keeping around they are making them less appealing to this generation of readers by either killing them, disbanding them or making them look old, cause there's nothing kids hate more than old people

Wolverine(Logan) - dead
    Old Man Logan - Old (this may be selling well but am curious to what age group)
    Captain America - take away his super serum, make him look old, white hair, frail (though he's coming back)
    Fantastic Four - disband them
    Nova - dead, lets make a kid Nova to appeal to this generation
    Thor - unworthy
    Hulk - MIA or in the trunk of Amadeus Cho's car...

Nothing wrong with the latest batch of characters like Spider-Gwen, kid Nova, Totally Awesome Hulk etc, I'll use them in game but their story does not appeal to me

Am more of a classic Marvel fan myself so yes I would love to see more classic characters, but there is very little D3-Demiurge can do but run polls and show the results to the Marvel folks

If there is enough demand for classic characters am sure Marvel will allow them to squeeze in a few every now and then, but for now expect them to go through many of Marvel's newer characters before you see classic ones

If I'm correct the last two official most desirable character polls had Gambit at the top... Yet I see no Gambit.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but sense has no place in MPQ is all I'm expressing here.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    IFORANI wrote:
    If I'm correct the last two official most desirable character polls had Gambit at the top... Yet I see no Gambit.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but sense has no place in MPQ is all I'm expressing here.

Gambit is another character with a possible movie lined up which they would want to release at around the same time.
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind characters so much.
    It's more the game types and game modes they have.
    The introduction of the Ultron/Galactus alliance events were a nice change, as with gauntlet.
    But standard PvE's are too time demanding and tedious for most people.
    We need new event types with a different kind of leaderboard.

For example...
    Who can survive through the most survival waves...
    Timed missions maybe - in a similar vein to bejewelled blitz - you have 2 minutes to do as much damage as possible.
    How fast can you beat an enemy/boss, etc.

Variety. The spice of life.
  • VA5
    VA5 Posts: 66
    I'm glad at the discussion this is sparking. As noted by some I am the key buying demographic for MPQ 30-40's. For the first comment who mentioned High Evolutionary as obscure, he has been around for decades and is still used occasionally in store lines. Try asking someone in 5 years who SpiderGwen is and they will direct you to the quarter bin in the back of the shop.
    I will check out a KK trade one of these days as many commentators like her.
  • Tryke wrote:
    IFORANI wrote:

Gambit is another character with a possible movie lined up which they would want to release at around the same time.

Not saying it's not logical but I've heard other reasons as to why. If it happens I hope I'm still here for it. I'm not betting he will be introduced at all.
  • Minus = You have zero control over which characters and versions of those characters you can use. It's all 100% told to you from on high, and "they" don't care much how well it fits into the actual game because they view games only as advertising mechanisms and nothing more.
    I find it disingenuous and insulting to my intelligence even when every time some Marvel games bizDev bigwig is interviewed, they try and claim they don't tell developers what content to add to their games. The large majority of this past year's worth of character releases in this game tells me otherwise.

Exactly! this is no different than the comics are set up, you have your headliner which sold the comic but still need to make sure there are advertisements included like cameos from characters theyre pushing. adding new chars is the game is no different. use the arc of dark riegn to draw in older fans but it doesn't pander to the kids enough throw in sum flashy new supes and rope them in.
    As TVR said marvel chooses who's advertised, with a set list of who they want in game. the polls they put up are to see which of the preselected get the most votes, not for us to choose exactly who we want. would be nice to just have a list of who we have to choose from, but that would eliminate the hope that maybe someone we wanted like gambit might show up, carrot on a stick
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    To quote IceIX
    Gambit is one of those unfortunate cases where the licensing isn't the easiest. Someone we'd love to do but isn't just a case of "yep, let's put them in!" and getting the work going. Absolutely doesn't mean we won't actively try though.

Edit: As well, these polls are *great* ways of showing Marvel what our fans want, which obviously helps with that.

Gambit will take some time (although Marvel Hereos 2016 had no problem acquiring the rights)
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    VA5 wrote:
    I'm glad at the discussion this is sparking. As noted by some I am the key buying demographic for MPQ 30-40's. For the first comment who mentioned High Evolutionary as obscure, he has been around for decades and is still used occasionally in store lines. Try asking someone in 5 years who SpiderGwen is and they will direct you to the quarter bin in the back of the shop.

You might be underestimating how much Marvel is willing to shake the status quo (over a 5 year span). We certainly could've said the same thing about Miles Morales 5 years ago, and yet here we are today and Marvel is pushing him front and center (he's pretty awesome).

As far as High Evolutionary, despite appearing recently against the Unity squad, he's only occasionally used in comic storylines. Like, really, really rarely for better or worse. Personally, I think Marvel has been using Kang more often in their stories in recent years and he'd be a more likely bet for Marvel to push as far as that mastermind/villain archetype.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    People are failing to lay the blame (if you wanna play that game) where they should.

Did d3 create these characters? Nope. Marvel/Disney did (it seems far more Disney than marvel these days)

Marvel have given us iGwen and an awful hulk with zero nuance or depth. Its marvel who are ripping apart their old roster of characters in favour of cartoonish new ones for a younger generation. Its marvel who are lacking creativity and giving us spider family instead of making something new and inventive.

Don't blame d3 for characters, that's marvels fault. However I am going to blame d3 for the ridiculous release speed which means that you'll have no new character covered for at least 2 or 3 months after release at which point they'll be made totally irrelevant by the brand New young man wolverine who does 6million per 6 ap and his trusty sidekick spider dog and his incredible instant 30ap generating good scavenge attack
  • IFORANI wrote:

By what measure are you saying "If I'm correct"?

Like is it a hunch or is it based on surveys you did or do you have some inside data that we don't?

I'd be surprised if Spider-Gwen wasn't at or near the top myself but like that's just my own guessing about popularity.
  • cyineedsn wrote:
    VA5 wrote:

You might be underestimating how much Marvel is willing to shake the status quo (over a 5 year span). We certainly could've said the same thing about Miles Morales 5 years ago, and yet here we are today and Marvel is pushing him front and center (he's pretty awesome).

I fear I may be overestimating how much they're willing to shake things up, personally.

Like, Kamala Khan is super cool and all, but what happens when her sales drop? She might get the axe and junk.

What happens when Peter Parker Spider-man sales drop? They just get a new writer instead of axing the character.

I don't have a lot of faith in Marvel actually sticking to this better current lineup and not just going back to Same Old Guys Doing Same Things.

Marvel simultaneously relishes change (for the new #1 issue sale spikes) and loathes it (but no we got to keep the same old people around... for the new #1 Sales Spikes for their comebacks)
  • colwag wrote:
    IFORANI wrote:

By what measure are you saying "If I'm correct"?

Like is it a hunch or is it based on surveys you did or do you have some inside data that we don't?

I'd be surprised if Spider-Gwen wasn't at or near the top myself but like that's just my own guessing about popularity.

Since I must. It is referencing the recall ability of my mind that the "official" D3 polls I referenced. I'm sorry if that combination of words lead one to believe I was just wildly guessing somehow.
  • IFORANI wrote:

Since I must. It is referencing the recall ability of my mind that the "official" D3 polls I referenced. I'm sorry if that combination of words lead one to believe I was just wildly guessing somehow.

And what official polls are those?

Like, the in-game surveys? I was not aware any results of them were ever released!

Was there another poll I was unaware of?
  • I don't think they are, typically. There was a facebook poll over a year ago which had it's results posted though, and Gambit was at like 400+ as most wanted, with the next most wanted at around 250, I think.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I am FED UP with people who did not pay attention when they said "we are done mutants for awhile, we are doing into another direction for now."

It was common sense they were going to go HARDCORE in whichever direction they were talking about.

Plus, they lost the X License, for awhile.
  • prancerosner
    prancerosner Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    I like the new characters. I don't play Heroclix as much as I used to, and MPQ has replaced that as my source for finding out what's happening in comics.

I like the Wolverines and Spiders and all of it.

I would love to see Moon Knight, Nightcrawler, Namor, Spider villains, and a bunch of others - mostly sentimental favorites, yes - but I have a hard time getting mad about a steady stream of new characters in this game that I've enjoyed for so long.