Are Others Feed Up With choice of Recent Characters?

VA5
VA5 Posts: 66
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is anyone else getting frustrated looking at stupid characters as traditional core characters like Peter Parker Spiderman and Bruce Banner Hulk become irrelevant as game transitions past 3 stars?

Okay, I can take a few lame ones. Kamila Kahn (lame character with good abilities) and Squirrel Girl (lame player with lame abilities). Then MPQ got some-what back on track. Now Totally awesome Hulk (anything but), prepubescent spiderman, baby nova and **** Spider Gwen. Still no Thanos, Dr Strange, Nightcrawler, Kitty Pryde, Adam Warlock, Red Skull, Green Goblin, High Evolutionary, etc...

Also as game is international developers should think of adding major non-american characters. Captain Britain, Sunfire and Vindicator would be nice international choices.

Comments

• Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Wait, you want less obscure characters and you suggest High Evolutionary and Vindicator?

Now, I'd like Dr. Strange as much as the next person but I can see why they are putting in characters that are currently being promoted. Also, I really like Spider Gwen's look so cannot be mad at her.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am 100% certain we'll get Dr Strange before the end of the year (assuming the game survives that long). If he's not in the game when his movie premieres in November we will get him then.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    What about Eddie Brock venom that we just got? You also have to consider that the game is catering to new comic releases, and comic characters that they want to become popular, or are more popular today. It makes the game more exciting for some when the characters are more relevant to the comics, and it may make comic readers of today more interested in picking the game up.
  • wirius wrote:
    What about Eddie Brock venom that we just got? You also have to consider that the game is catering to new comic releases, and comic characters that they want to become popular, or are more popular today. It makes the game more exciting for some when the characters are more relevant to the comics, and it may make comic readers of today more interested in picking the game up.

The ironic thing being that by the time you get enough covers to use these new relevant 4* characters chances are their comic runs will have ended...
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I am also a little tired of the recent characters choice.
    There was a poll run here some days ago regarding the age of the players. Most of us are around 30 years old, also I guess those players are mostly making purchases. Meanwhile we get many new characters like Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, kid Nova, Kamala Khan, even All-New X-Men, etc.
    But also we get tons of Spider-chars and Wolverines which I'm also sick of...

I would like to see more iconic Marvel characters instead of unknown Spider-Gwen or next version of Wolverine. Where are Cable, Wasp, Mr.Sinister, Apocalypse, Angel, original Nick Fury, Namor, Norman Osborn, Dr.Strange (yes, they are probably waiting for the movie), Rogue, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Lizard, Sentinels, Blackbolt, Black Cat, Emma Frost, Havoc, Polaris, Kitty Pryde, etc...

They also had a list of most wanted characters, but they doesn't seem to care about players wishes :/
  • If we are going to mine alternative earths for different versions of classic characters then I'd dearly love to see the Marvel Zombies in MPQ
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    >Calls Kamala "lame". Suggests Captain Britain.

Help me understand what makes a character lame in your eyes?
  • Yeah like.

Kamala Khan, Squirrel Girl, Captain Falcon, Spider-Gwen, Miles Morales, Foster!Thor ect is why I even give a damn about Marvel right now.

It's not that same-old Spiderman and Avengers is boring it's just that it's all stuff that's been around for so long that I really can't bring myself to care about them seriously at all.

Granted, I can't think of anybody who I give a darn about that isn't represented yet, though. It just goes back to "Characters from childhood Marvel stuff" moreso then "New stuff that seems fun"
  • Quebbster
    smoq84 wrote:
    They also had a list of most wanted characters, but they doesn't seem to care about players wishes :/
    I think they care more about Marvel's wishes. Losing individual players is not a big deal. Losing the license so the game has to close down... would be a big deal.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I know you didn't call Kamala Khan a lame character.

Please correct that typo.
  • >Doesn't think Spider-Gwen is a highly requested character

>Spider-Gwen is selling better then Spider-Man. And, uh, literally everybody else, too. (sans Star Wars and Secret Wars)

She's kinda crazy popular.
  • Eichen
    Eichen Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    I'm just sick of new characters in general. Give us a month without a new character release so we can catch up. Instead of creating a new character the designers can spend time creating a new event storyline.
  • Helen keller
    Helen keller Posts: 62 Match Maker
    I also think spider-gwen is beyond lame but we're just one demographic, if your over thirty you of course don't want a teenager taking a selfie as a marvel character, let alone a four star, it's eyerolling and silly, just as our parents thought what we did was stupid and a waste of time, gotta take the good with the bad so they can stay relevant with the younger crowd, or eventually marvel with stop printing when we all die....as far as Thanos and others, he should be a 5*, 4* are the new 3*, 4* Thanos would probably get panned here, they will get to him and nightcrawler...
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    To be fair, they probably want to release Doctor Strange when his movie comes out later this year. Kinda like how they released Ant-Man around the time of his movie.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Trully you want international. If I remember correctly CapBrit loses his powers after leaving the British Isles. Guess only U.K. gamers get him. KK lame indeed, get some perspective.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    It's the blessing and the curse of working on a Marvel game:

Plus = You are almost printing money, regardless of how good the implementation of the game actually is. From a high level, if you're lucky enough to have access to an IP like this, there's very little worry it will lose money. It's like how the **** Star Wars stuff still sells.
    To quote Yogurt from Spaceballs = "MERCHANDISING!!"
    0455974_1281_mc_tx360-a-classic-mel-brooks-comedy-but-without-the-passion-of-his-greats-jpeg-186521.jpg

Minus = You have zero control over which characters and versions of those characters you can use. It's all 100% told to you from on high, and "they" don't care much how well it fits into the actual game because they view games only as advertising mechanisms and nothing more.
    I find it disingenuous and insulting to my intelligence even when every time some Marvel games bizDev bigwig is interviewed, they try and claim they don't tell developers what content to add to their games. The large majority of this past year's worth of character releases in this game tells me otherwise.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I never really played the game for the specific characters, but the game play. I like the ability to play a variety of characters.

So I'm super fed up with the speed of releases compared to the low availability of ISO and specific covers. Any character they release I sort of just roll my eyes and think...maybe I'll have that covered, but not leveled, in six months.

I'm also fed up with the "balance" in the game. While rolling my eyes, I continue to think....why would I ever level this character? Is it better than one I already have? They don't give you enough ISO to level them all. So I could max Cho-Hulk or Fal-Cap....would I ever, ever use the buffed versions over unbuffed (almost any other 4*)?

I'm also fed up with the 5* stompage that is happening. Doesn't matter if they release my favorite two 4*'s and I get them covered and maxed....it won't help me in almost any event.

So for the character choice...I guess I don't care that much when it won't matter in the long run.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes, they do need to get a better mix of new and classic characters right. They also need more villains. I don't mind them going with less well known characters but for every 3 new characters they should also be doing at least 2 classic characters as well. I wonder what they will do when they finish their 4* run, surely they won't follow the process and just start doing 5* every two weeks? Will they release new 2*, 3* and 4* at that point?
  • Quebbster
    Eichen wrote:
    I'm just sick of new characters in general. Give us a month without a new character release so we can catch up. Instead of creating a new character the designers can spend time creating a new event storyline.
    Isn't this what they've been doing? In the last quarter, we got Heart of Darkness, Amadeus' Inferno and Venombomb as new storylines, and Nova was the only new character released last season. Black Suit Spiderman didn't have a release event, so he doesn't count.
  • Warbringa wrote:
    Yes, they do need to get a better mix of new and classic characters right. They also need more villains. I don't mind them going with less well known characters but for every 3 new characters they should also be doing at least 2 classic characters as well. I wonder what they will do when they finish their 4* run, surely they won't follow the process and just start doing 5* every two weeks? Will they release new 2*, 3* and 4* at that point?

I think D3's scared of that point because they don't really have a lot of options to put new characters in. That's why 4s are flooding right now. Only tier that has room for them.

Like, if they added 20 new 2*s, would that make anybody excited?

Also, that new;classic character ratio sounds like what they're doing right now.

Like, most recent releases are: Spider-Gwen (New), Nova (New version, but Classic character that's been around a while, hard to pin point exactly), Black Suit Spiderman (Classic), Eddie Brock Venom (Classic), Miles Moralas (New)

It admitedly does get a little trickier for newer versions of the same characters. Like, Mr. Fantastic is obviously a classic character, but he still exists... in a pretty much unchanged form. 4* Jean Gray and Iceman are based off their newer versions, but still harken to people who like their classic versions, too.

FalCap is a character (Sam Wilson) who has been around for a while, but now has the title of a legacy character (Captain America). So, that's more new, maybe?

But hey guess what happened to old Steve: He's somehow got his super body back and he's going to be Captain America again! (While... Sam Wilson is also simultaneously Captain America? idk) But, he's got a new uniform and a new shield (Since Sammy boy still gets to keep the old one). Would a 4* of that New Steve Rodgers Cap be a New character, or because it's a Steve Rodgers Cap, be a classic one?

Classic vs New is a weird and arbitrary measurement.