PvP seems lot tougher now

Options
13»

Comments

• To me, MMR doesn't even seem relatively related to the team you face. I get the difficulty, you could sucker punch people otherwise (field a low level team wait for the attacks, then mob up with a higher level team), so having an overall team ranking makes sense, I just don't see how it's calculated or used correctly here.
  • akboyce wrote:
    My bracket is godlike....everyone has a 100+ spidey/classic mags/punisher combo. I'm staying out of this one.

Sounds like your MMR has reached the danger zone. I would suggest some tanking in the LRs. Helped me a lot when all my opponents became 100+s

Silly question but I've never tanked before....i'm not having great luck with searching on how to tank either. halps?
  • Silly question but I've never tanked before....i'm not having great luck with searching on how to tank either. halps?

Tanking generally involves joining a bracket while the seed teams are still available, beat all but one of them and then put the weakest possible team you can have that can still beat Kicksthatkick so that people will hopefully slaughter you as much as possible.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Silly question but I've never tanked before....i'm not having great luck with searching on how to tank either. halps?

Tanking generally involves joining a bracket while the seed teams are still available, beat all but one of them and then put the weakest possible team you can have that can still beat Kicksthatkick so that people will hopefully slaughter you as much as possible.

Follow up Q, Phantron - do you have to beat all but one? Or is it enough just to win a match with your tank team?
  • Phantron wrote:

I'll give that a shot. I'm not looking to fight pushover 30 level teams but I cannot take on 100+ level punishers/hulks/mags/spideys.....I just can't with my lineup.
  • allorin wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Follow up Q, Phantron - do you have to beat all but one? Or is it enough just to win a match with your tank team?

You want to get your point total up enough that people will bother attacking you. The higher it is, the more people are likely to attack you.
  • allorin wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

It is believed that the team people sees is the last team you won with (this is difficult to confirm because we can't actually ask someone who beat us who they saw, but it's our best guess), which is why you leave a team like Kicksthatkick for the very last match so that your tank team can actually win. Your goal is still to get as much point as possible, because if you play only one game and have 25 points, people won't be too interested in you even if your team is 3 level 1s. But without saving a team like Kicksthatkick for last, you'd have an awful time winning with 3 level 1s.

Note that seed teams disappear if a retaliation spot appears in their spot, so you can't wait too long.

For what it's worth, I didn't get hit especially hard in the 1* where my team was 3 level 1s (and that's the best team I have), probably because my rating was 25 (found exactly one team I was able to beat at all in the entire tournament). So having a high score before you tank matters too.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If it's harder for you it's also harder for everyone else. This is not a single player game.
    how deep and insightful. This game is perfect in every way. There's absolutely nothing that could be improved or questioned.
    /thread he has spoken.

lol, that was a funny comment. Anyway, obviously over time, regardless of skip taxes, the game as a whole is going to become tougher, because people share info and good tendencies spread. Nobody who plays seriously busts out any kind of creative combo. It's the same 6 dudes 99% of the time. I fought a Bullseye in the Patch LR that just finished and thought, "Hmm, how refreshing!" And then I pummeled him to a bloody pulp in about 80 seconds with his entire team.

D3 keeps releasing 3*s characters every week, to appeal to people that already have their rosters maxed. The collectors of the crowd. But Who is going to bust out Psylocke in real competition or DD? Nobody, because Punisher, Patch and the Hulk are the best characters in the game, and unless you have those 3 at 141 you still have work to do (I ommited Spidey & Mags because of post-nerf assumption.)

So it's pretty commonplace to see highly leveled efficient rosters. Ares and OBW and maybe Thor are the only competitive 2*s i see, and really Thor is only useful if you don't have a high level Hulk to use as tank. The solution is to drop your MMR by tanking until you start fighting the 2*s again. annoying but what are you going to do?

Also, the skip tax sucks when you are trying to place at the end of a tourney.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification on tanking - my MMR has started to get a little scary (those 100+ spidermans and punishers are starting to poke their heads out often), and my highest level character is 84 Thor, so I will give it a shot in a couple of lightning rounds.
  • Phantron wrote:
    allorin wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

It is believed that the team people sees is the last team you won with (this is difficult to confirm because we can't actually ask someone who beat us who they saw, but it's our best guess), which is why you leave a team like Kicksthatkick for the very last match so that your tank team can actually win. Your goal is still to get as much point as possible, because if you play only one game and have 25 points, people won't be too interested in you even if your team is 3 level 1s. But without saving a team like Kicksthatkick for last, you'd have an awful time winning with 3 level 1s.

Note that seed teams disappear if a retaliation spot appears in their spot, so you can't wait too long.

For what it's worth, I didn't get hit especially hard in the 1* where my team was 3 level 1s (and that's the best team I have), probably because my rating was 25 (found exactly one team I was able to beat at all in the entire tournament). So having a high score before you tank matters too.

That makes all sorts of sense. Thank you!
  • Skip Tax Should make Tanking your MMR Easier.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok, my first tank attempt is now happening. I knew it was time when my first non-seed match was a 105 hulk / 108 punisher / 141 patch. I made it up to 176 points then plopped in default hulk, 13 bullseye, 22 daken, and beat up on freerangecage.
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Once again - is tanking through retreating a viable alternative to hoping people attack you?
  • Kikujiro
    Kikujiro Posts: 157
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Nope, previously you could do it that way but now is like Phantron said.

The team your opponents see is the one which won your last battle. So if you win with Patch, Hulk and Magneto at 141 and the next battle you retreat with Yelena, Hawkeye and Widow at level 1 people will see your 141 team in their matchmaking, likely skipping instead of attacking.

Edit: ok, I misunderstood the question, sorry.

Yes, if you retreat a high number of times and finish a LR in a very low place, I think you will face easier teams next round.
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    That would not really matter if the MMR algorithm is just counting wins vs. losses (and includes such factors as opponnents average level of team members) - you could for example rack up ~500 points and then slowly bleed them out by choosing **WEAKER** teams (so that the algorithm thinks you are weaker then weaklings and it lowers your MMR)... after all you are losing points and this has to somehow impact your MMR...
  • Kikujiro
    Kikujiro Posts: 157
    Options
    Yeah, I misread your post icon_razz.gif

I´ve edited it few minutes ago. Maybe we are wrong, but I think that works too ... more trouble but similar results.