PvP seems lot tougher now

Options

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    davecazz wrote:
    what kind of team do you have? a 2 hour play time for a tournament is ideal. I'm just only getting 20 minutes right now. Maybe it's only the mid range who are affected. my MMR could be slightly high as well.

Probably IM35/Storm/Hawkeye. Maybe had a level 20 Moonstone in there somewhere too.

Taking some time to think about the game will likely save you time overall as one catastrophic wipeout indeed sets you way back.

you're not sure what team you had? did you play the Psylocke tournament? this issue just popped up in the last day or so.
  • farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Seems that way to me as well. I tried tanking my MMR last PVP event to be ready for lightning rounds, but in LRs I got thrown immediately against level 100+ foes when I'm normally matched against 85s (I have no characters above 85). Strange.
  • I think the lows and mids are suffering from the skip tax and taking more damage from more challenging fights. Which leads to more health packs or downtime, which leads to fewer matches completed globally. So if everyone slows down, there will just be less points in the pool for everyone to fight over, scores will not be as high. I wonder if they will have to balance the progression rewards in a few weeks if this is the new meta...

Lol..balance? The progression rewards? Lol.. o, good one. Tell me when they do that. Hopefully my kidneys haven't failed by then. Nerf the progress rewards? Sure thing, they can do that. BALANCE them? Noooooooope.

Side note: tanking is not working as well.as usually, lukey due to the skip tax making ppl decide to fight other ppl.instead of takin a few seconds to find the super easy tank team. I doubt it was part of thier plan, but it still works to combat tanking a good little bit.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dunkelgrau wrote:
    davecazz wrote:
    increasing healing rate would help a lot, but thats sticky, the game would break if people find a way to play forever.

It's all about weaning people off of the game we've gotten used to, adding costs and taxes, and squeezing out more money. The problem is that when you dial down the velocity of gameplay, what you're also doing is dialing down the fun. Having a less fun game than I had before doesn't encourage me to pay more (or at all, since I'm a f2p player), it encourages me to do something else. Of course, that's not the case for everyone. There is some segment of the population that truly craves nickel and diming, otherwise, why would every f2p title go through the same lifecycle?

dear god why are you still playing then
    literally 30 of your 34 posts are whining about the game and how everything is terrible
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    Due to the current changes I am not playing the game anywhere close to as much as I used to. Most pve matches take too long now as my difficulty is quite high. I haven't touched the pvp yet. Every change seems to be made more for the developers than the players. I still play, but the enjoyment is not the same, which is a bummer.
  • Just tried another round of Psylocke.

Was able to get 5 fights in before health ran out.

first fight got destroyed by a lucky cascade on the AIs part.
    Won next three matches but I had to use boosts and it took up my health because with even matches I dont feel as confident going into a match unless I'm at least at 80% health.
    Pulled out the last one by the skin of my teeth.

I seem to get matched with mainly 85 lvl teams (mainly Thor and OBW). which is supposed to be ideal since I have two 85s. on the odd chance I get matched with a spidey or hulk team which would be suicide. I hardly ever get matched with weaker teams.

It feels like matchmaking is more consistently connecting with the same type of team which is slightly more powerful than I am but much better balanced because I don't have OBW. I feel like I can't compete properly until I have a leveled OBW.

As far as skip strategy, I use up all the bonus skips but wont pay for extra. I basically skip the toughest teams until I run out and then either fight the weakest or most points if it's a tie.

3 skips seems really stingy.
  • Well just lost three straight. First fight was forced because I only had level 50+ teams. Got torn to pieces. Healed up, skipped trying for an under 50. Got one with 30's and 40's. AI got a quadruple (YES FOUR) bonus moves in a massive chain of cascades, mopped the floor with me. Heal up and wait for another heal, head back in, skipped as many as I can for free, got a level 50 IM with two 6's. Start going, and three times running the AI got 3 extra moves on cascades and once again destroyed me.

**** this game.
  • I was going to say it was easier since I was running a 115 Punisher and a 141 Patch + OBW in that last lightning round. Coasted up to 16th. Then I guess the leaders starting dumping ISO to skip and I got hit 9 times in the last 20 minutes, both from people in the 400 range and by people who I hit along the way with Spidermans. 1 Heroic token...Much prefer the Villain reward setup, Patch and Punisher are my best, every other buffed hero is sub 20 so if I cant place top 25 in those two rounds I can't get er done.

I am very stringent with my resources, I stopped using boosts 95% of the time when they doubled the costs initially, and I don't want to go into the negatives skipping for an opponent when I know I will see the same guy 3 skips later.
  • I think the lows and mids are suffering from the skip tax and taking more damage from more challenging fights. Which leads to more health packs or downtime, which leads to fewer matches completed globally. So if everyone slows down, there will just be less points in the pool for everyone to fight over, scores will not be as high. I wonder if they will have to balance the progression rewards in a few weeks if this is the new meta...

Sure, as if the last balancing have put anything useful in the reachable range... 2400->1400 same as setting it to one million. Even the nerfed second HP point is over the peak. AAMOF going just over the first HP is good for top15.
  • Yep, the prizes completely suck in hero LR. While for villains I have no team to consider.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    Yep, the prizes completely suck in hero LR. While for villains I have no team to consider.

You just came up in my matchmaking for the LR...Unless you're tanking, there is no business for you to show up in my mmr....I'm getting matches against teams from all over the map right now...anything from 20's to 141's...
  • New round.

Made it through 2 matches. won both but they were down to the last 200 health on my last character.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    Yep, the prizes completely suck in hero LR. While for villains I have no team to consider.

You just came up in my matchmaking for the LR...Unless you're tanking, there is no business for you to show up in my mmr....I'm getting matches against teams from all over the map right now...anything from 20's to 141's...

Yup, it's horridly broken right now. I have had consistent losing matches, and am unable to find any that make any damn sense. Most are 50+ for the lowest, then 70-100 for the highest. At one point my freebie account pull, get this, three level 100+'s. My highest is 25. How the hell do you fight that?

This pay-to-skip is idiotic.

Edit: I just sacrificed an entire team of three on my paid account to just be able to clear my board of attackers... They need to revert this change. They did not think this through at all. This totally roadblocks newcomers.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Pawkeshup wrote:
    Yup, it's horridly broken right now. I have had consistent losing matches, and am unable to find any that make any damn sense. Most are 50+ for the lowest, then 70-100 for the highest. At one point my freebie account pull, get this, three level 100+'s. My highest is 25. How the hell do you fight that?

Edit: I just sacrificed an entire team of three on my paid account to just be able to clear my board of attackers... They need to revert this change. They did not think this through at all. This totally roadblocks newcomers.

This might have already been said, but if your highest char is 25 you shouldn't expect to compete in PVP. Anything more than the first or maybe second progression reward is unrealistic. You should stick to the prologue for now, it's what I did back then...
  • Pawkeshup wrote:

This might have already been said, but if your highest char is 25 you shouldn't expect to compete in PVP. Anything more than the first or maybe second progression reward is unrealistic. You should stick to the prologue for now, it's what I did back then...

I normally just get those first and second on my free account just for covers, then I just let myself be a kicking bag normally. It is just ridiculous to see among the first three matches a team of all level 100's sitting there. My higher team has the same issue in SHIELD now. I have a 48 IM35, 40BW on that account, and routinely see level 80's and 100's just chilling. I don't even have 500 points anymore, so are you telling me these high level accounts are "in my league"? I guess if they got torn up and shoved down the ladder that far, it would make sense, but how many losses would it take to wind up fighting teams that low?

Before this change, sure I'd get an occasional bad board, but I'd just skip them all and get one closer to my level, then all would be fine. I'd fight them, crawl up the ranks a bit and get some progression rewards as well as the ISO I need. But now I'm just stalled until I can get enough ISO and covers to level a better team.
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    you got to 500 points with a < lvl 50 team? And yet you complain that it's tougher? When my team was below 50 I sure didn't even dream of ever making the 500 progression reward. That only came when I got close to maxing my first **-guys.
  • Um, 500 in the SHIELD progression isn't that impressive. Maybe things were different when you started, but there were plenty of lower and evenly matched teams for me to get that high. I also got very lucky out of the gate for the events in getting powered up characters to compete in the PvE to get better rewards. I figured that so long as you could still start this late in the game, it was fine to spend a bit. Now I really regret it with this change. I spend more time staring at timers for being down than playing.

And now of course the PC side seems to have taken an extra-large **** and keeps telling me com disrupted. Yay.
  • so, played a little this morning and now I'm totally confused.

yesterday
    Fresh Cut - every single battle has been a struggle. have not matched with a single team that is weaker than I am
    GS BW Lightning Round - tried to play with my secondary team but couldn't find an entry match that made sense. all teams 100/85lvl after 3 skips

this morning
    Fresh Cut - still total struggle but won all my matches
    Magnetic Mayhem - back to the good old days. played with secondary team and gained 200 points without a single health pack, had a fun time
    Patch Wolvie Lightning Round - back to the good old days, played with third string team and racked up the first three rewards.

so just not sure how this makes sense from an MMR perspective. It just seems way to inconsistent (either 85/100 or 1/2 tanking teams) unless I had a bunch of match ups cached from Fresh Cut and they made a matchmaking change this morning.
  • If you retreat in PVP, does it lower your MMR?
  • Rajjeq wrote:
    If you retreat in PVP, does it lower your MMR?

I repeated a bunch (10-12 times) in the 1* tournament dropping down to a lower awards tier, and the next tournament I was against easy, easy teams. I'm pretty sure it lowers it like any loss.