PvP seems lot tougher now

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Not sure if I'm in a higher MMR, might be the RNG gods are giving me a hard time, might also be that the new skip tax just needs to work it's way through the system for a couple more weeks.

but I am having a tough time with the fresh cut tourney, struggling to get to 300 when usually I can get to 600-700 pretty easily. Although there are others in my bracket that have starter teams, not sure if more people are using boosts to counter the more even matches.

I do find myself taking more chances against well balanced lvl 85 2* teams (which is where I am I just don't have an OBW or a spidey). but conversely I have a lvl 47 Psylocke.

Each match just beats the **** out of me and I find I can only play about 3-4 matches before needing to spend money on new health packs. Would rather save my money for shields.

Just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else is seeing the same thing. It's not as fun playing less per session.

Comments

• My bracket is godlike....everyone has a 100+ spidey/classic mags/punisher combo. I'm staying out of this one.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My bracket is godlike....everyone has a 100+ spidey/classic mags/punisher combo. I'm staying out of this one.

Sounds like your MMR has reached the danger zone. I would suggest some tanking in the LRs. Helped me a lot when all my opponents became 100+s
  • I think the lows and mids are suffering from the skip tax and taking more damage from more challenging fights. Which leads to more health packs or downtime, which leads to fewer matches completed globally. So if everyone slows down, there will just be less points in the pool for everyone to fight over, scores will not be as high. I wonder if they will have to balance the progression rewards in a few weeks if this is the new meta...
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My MMR thinks i should be fighting JimRichey(last night in elite and now in the psylocke) this guy has all three stars maxed as well as the new psylocke and the 4 stars for good measure.... i have one level 120 character. FIX IT!
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    I think the lows and mids are suffering from the skip tax and taking more damage from more challenging fights. Which leads to more health packs or downtime, which leads to fewer matches completed globally. So if everyone slows down, there will just be less points in the pool for everyone to fight over, scores will not be as high. I wonder if they will have to balance the progression rewards in a few weeks if this is the new meta...

This is particularly true for those without OBW/Spidey.

As a tip to those working their way up, level OBW as your first 2* max.
  • I'm at the point where a few of my 2* are nearing max covers, sadly OBW is only at 2/0/2 and effectively useless lol
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah she helped me get over the hump before that i had to rely on wolvie tanking most of the damage now hes nerfed makes it really hard for post thorvorine noobies. I would think anyway. A new single star that does a single char heal might be something they should add.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    I think the lows and mids are suffering from the skip tax and taking more damage from more challenging fights. Which leads to more health packs or downtime, which leads to fewer matches completed globally. So if everyone slows down, there will just be less points in the pool for everyone to fight over, scores will not be as high. I wonder if they will have to balance the progression rewards in a few weeks if this is the new meta...

This is particularly true for those without OBW/Spidey.

As a tip to those working their way up, level OBW as your first 2* max.

I would love to if only I had the covers. I had some OBW covers but I mistakenly leveled up aggressive recon to be 11 ap. I sold her right before respec was introduced because I wanted to keep her AR at 5 so I could spam it. Now I haven't run across a single OBW cover in two weeks.

I just played a round and it felt a little better, was able to play 4 matches before health packs ran out. still not as fun as being able to play 6-7 in a row.

about rebalancing rewards. I think thats fine but the real purpose is the fun of playing, not just being able to get the rewards.
  • My bracket is godlike....everyone has a 100+ spidey/classic mags/punisher combo. I'm staying out of this one.
    It's the complete opposite for me. I wasn't expect much (85 OBW - 85 Ares - 70 Punisher) so I decided to farm ISO and boosts. Without breaking a sweat I am #1 now with 550. #2 is 530 and #3 is 370. The boost loot also decent so far. Obviously, things will change as the end draws near, but I believe I can make top 5 for my first C.Magneto covers. I think I skipped down to -10 ISO 2-3 times and only after I was above 550. So far Fresh Cut is one my favorite tournaments.
  • Yeah, encouraging more risks and making losing be just as terrible as always does suck the fun out of it. Maybe increase heal kit #/ regen rate so we can still take the risks but not feel like we have to stop playing just because of a bad match or two in a row?
  • Narkon wrote:
    My bracket is godlike....everyone has a 100+ spidey/classic mags/punisher combo. I'm staying out of this one.
    It's the complete opposite for me. I wasn't expect much (85 OBW - 85 Ares - 70 Punisher) so I decided to farm ISO and boosts. Without breaking a sweat I am #1 now with 550. #2 is 530 and #3 is 370. The boost loot also decent so far. Obviously, things will change as the end draws near, but I believe I can make top 5 for my first C.Magneto covers. I think I skipped down to -10 ISO 2-3 times and only after I was above 550. So far Fresh Cut is one my favorite tournaments.

I think your team would do better than mine, my main heros are 85 thor and 85 cstorm. mn mags as backup to feed storm blue. I guess I could level punisher. I have a lot of covers for him, just wasnt sure how well he would fit into my play style. I like either spammable abilities like m storm, or abilities that damage the whole team like thor and cstorm. maybe I just have to change my style because those characters are no longer holding their own for me.
  • Yeah, encouraging more risks and making losing be just as terrible as always does suck the fun out of it. Maybe increase heal kit #/ regen rate so we can still take the risks but not feel like we have to stop playing just because of a bad match or two in a row?

increasing healing rate would help a lot, but thats sticky, the game would break if people find a way to play forever.
  • True, and being forced to put it down more often may dissipate some of the addictiveness. Which may actually be a good thing icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • davecazz wrote:
    increasing healing rate would help a lot, but thats sticky, the game would break if people find a way to play forever.

It's all about weaning people off of the game we've gotten used to, adding costs and taxes, and squeezing out more money. The problem is that when you dial down the velocity of gameplay, what you're also doing is dialing down the fun. Having a less fun game than I had before doesn't encourage me to pay more (or at all, since I'm a f2p player), it encourages me to do something else. Of course, that's not the case for everyone. There is some segment of the population that truly craves nickel and diming, otherwise, why would every f2p title go through the same lifecycle?
  • If it's harder for you it's also harder for everyone else. This is not a single player game.
  • Phantron wrote:
    If it's harder for you it's also harder for everyone else. This is not a single player game.

the issue isnt the difficulty, the issue is the number of games per session. less games per session makes it less fun.

if you are over a certain level, you are probably ok. I think this is just making it tougher on the mid and low level players.

If you are a low level, you have the prologue to play while you are waiting for healing. I thought I my team was finally past that sticky mid level stage.
  • davecazz wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    If it's harder for you it's also harder for everyone else. This is not a single player game.

the issue isnt the difficulty, the issue is the number of games per session. less games per session makes it less fun.

if you are over a certain level, you are probably ok. I think this is just making it tougher on the mid and low level players.

If you are a low level, you have the prologue to play while you are waiting for healing. I thought I my team was finally past that sticky mid level stage.

I was playing for 2 hours at a time before running out of health packs and I didn't use Spiderman when I had a 1* roster. I don't see why the game should encourage you encourage for longer period of time than that.
  • Phantron wrote:
    davecazz wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

I was playing for 2 hours at a time before running out of health packs and I didn't use Spiderman when I had a 1* roster. I don't see why the game should encourage you encourage for longer period of time than that.

what kind of team do you have? a 2 hour play time for a tournament is ideal. I'm just only getting 20 minutes right now. Maybe it's only the mid range who are affected. my MMR could be slightly high as well.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    how deep and insightful. This game is perfect in every way. There's absolutely nothing that could be improved or questioned.
    /thread he has spoken.
  • davecazz wrote:
    what kind of team do you have? a 2 hour play time for a tournament is ideal. I'm just only getting 20 minutes right now. Maybe it's only the mid range who are affected. my MMR could be slightly high as well.

Probably IM35/Storm/Hawkeye. Maybe had a level 20 Moonstone in there somewhere too.

Taking some time to think about the game will likely save you time overall as one catastrophic wipeout indeed sets you way back.