Dear D3: thank you for running Blue Shift off-season

SnowcaTT
SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Not because QS is either terribly overpowered or underpowered.
Not because QS is annoying to play or play around.
Not because QS is health-pack consuming.

No, thank you for running him off-season so we don't have to shout at the screen to hurry up some of the slowest animations in the game, which fire off over and over and over, while concerned about shield-hops. Thank you so much for making sure to run him off-season for that reason!

Is there any 3* that is worse for how slow the animations are, combined with how often they happen? This is one reason I skip Carnage fights - not for danger, but for amount of time they take.

I sincerely hope we have that long-desired "turn off animations" option before Quicksilver takes a turn in-season.

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Faclon.. redwing vs redwing.. may be slower.
  • loki vs loki.

hairpulling slow. icon_neutral.gif
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    QS, despite the animations, is pretty zippy in his own pvp. Last run I strolled up to 1.1k before shielding with an underlevelled 3* roster against maxed 4*s, and made 2-3 match hops without being attacked, and it was all down to the strength of his blue. I expect this run to go even faster with his new and improved powers. icon_e_smile.gif
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's true. With two QSs, I'll need to crank his blue back up to 5. In pve, I was doing 5 black and green, because the blue only went off once per match at most, and I was doing black all the time.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Devil Dino vs. Devil Dino was about the slowest slog ever. Massive health, no damage, and those flappy little arms occurring every 20 seconds. I will never play that one again.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Hood's Intimidation always feels like it takes forever, and he always seems to fire it off just one tile match away from downing him, just to drag it out.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't really mind QS. It's not THAT bad as compared to Falcon or Dino as others have mentioned, and it's fun trying to make sure his blue hits the other guy instead of you.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone else remember the days when we all complained about how long Daken's Pheromone animation took? :wistful:
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    The biggest FU animation for me is honestly the Flamethrower goon.

Why is there at least half a second of nothing between when the fire animation ends and when the tiles actually get destroyed and deal damage? No other goon attack is like this.
    It's especially irritating because it's one of the more high damaging goon powers too.

PS: WHY is such an important cover like Jean Grey the 1K reward in an off-season PVP??? This should have been saved for a season PVP. I (and I suspect many others as well) use the off-season PVP's to take a break from PVP. Now I'll have to wait like 2+ months for her to show up as a 1K reward next??
    Mine is only 2 1 2, and I have the WORST luck getting her from anywhere. I've opened 117 total Legendary Tokens, and she is the ONLY character I haven't pulled from them...
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591

Why is there at least half a second of nothing between when the fire animation ends and when the tiles actually get destroyed and deal damage? No other goon attack is like this.
    It's especially irritating because it's one of the more high damaging goon powers too.

There's actually quite a few that do it... tele-something does it too, as do some of the others where CD tile count matters.
    There's also the delay when PX makes a match while invisible and there are no special tiles to power up.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    Buret0 wrote:
    There's actually quite a few that do it... tele-something does it too, as do some of the others where CD tile count matters.

Right, that blue stun one.
    Also irritating, especially when you aren't paying attention and it ends up stunning your whole team!
    I suppose these are more irritating to me spend most of my time playing PVE.
    Buret0 wrote:
    There's also the delay when PX makes a match while invisible and there are no special tiles to power up.

The Prof X thing is probably a minor bug. I don't bring him along to use his purple, if you know what I mean. There's a better option... icon_blackwidow.pngpurpleflag.pngicon_cool.gif
    This is like when the Goon AP Generation UI thing was added back when. It also had a short but noticeable delay at the start of the AI's turn if there weren't any goons to show AP Generation for.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Anyone else remember the days when we all complained about how long Daken's Pheromone animation took? :wistful:

Now that you mention it, that was the first thing to come to mind. Especially after watching him make like a bajillion green matches in one game.

For me it's not that the couple of seconds lost watching animations is excruciatingly long, it just breaks up the fluidity of the gameplay when you have to watch the same animations over and over.
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    PS: WHY is such an important cover like Jean Grey the 1K reward in an off-season PVP??? This should have been saved for a season PVP. I (and I suspect many others as well) use the off-season PVP's to take a break from PVP. Now I'll have to wait like 2+ months for her to show up as a 1K reward next??
    The 1K rewards aren't planned out, really, they're just running on a rotation in alphabetical order, and where they move from first place reward in one event to the 1K reward in the next. First place of BoP was Jean Grey purple, 1K was Iron Man red (the predecessor in alphabetical order). This PVP 1K is Jean Grey blue (that color being her next color after purple; they cycle through the colors in a rotation as well, giving the color after the last one that was offered for that character) and the first place is Kingpin (next in alphabetical order) purple. Following the rotation, we expect Miles Morales red to be first place for the Valentine's PVP and Kingpin yellow to be the next 1K.

There's a Google spreadsheet that tracks the pattern (with a Historical tab showing what's been rewarded in the past). The alphabetical pattern only gets moved around when there is a new 4* PVP (the last one being Nova); after that PVP the alphabetical rotation goes back into effect, picking up where it left off. Before LTs were at the 1300 progression (and now 25 CPs) the rotation extended to the 1300 mark, which meant we went through the character rotation faster (and there were even less 4*s at that time as well). Now we have more 4*s and only two rotation spots (with 1st place being out of contention for about 99% of us).

TL;DR: It's not that the devs planned for Jean Grey to be on an off-season 1K progression, it's just the way the rotation worked out.
  • The Viceroy Returns

TL;DR: It's not that the devs planned for Jean Grey to be on an off-season 1K progression, it's just the way the rotation worked out.

Thanks for the clarification.
    I thought I had heard that, but it still sucks cause it means she won't be a specific reward anywhere for at least another 2+ months given how long it takes to go through the cycle...

At least it's not like how the cover order for cover progression rewards is "random" right?
    It's an odd coincidence that more often than not, the character's best cover always seems to be the highest rank (requiring top 5 or top 10 for most events).
    For example, how often has Luke Cage Red or Hood Blue been the lowest reward? I don't think I've ever seen Luke Cage Red be the lowest, and I can remember Hood's as the lowest only once.
    There's some confirmation bias here for sure, but it happens far to often to be a coincidence.

I've heard that it is truly random, so I guess that means there's a 66% chance that the best cover is not the lowest tier reward, which is pretty high.
    THAT is something they should cycle through to make it more fair. I've seen complaints about it from other posters on here every now and then.
    This game's progression is all RNG anyway, so I suppose this part of the reward structure being random as well shouldn't surprise me.
  • I hate to say it but with his changes I actually kind of want a quicksilver now... I can't justify it as all my ISO goes to 4*s, but he is REALLY fun now, and pretty useful
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    It has a prize you want, so just play the PVP.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards

You're being overly generous, or your computer/mobile runs better than mine. I've timed it, it's anything between 2 and 3 seconds between the animation ending and the power actually going off.
    It's been like this for the whole two years I've been playing and the fact it's not been fixed just baffles me.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    scottee wrote:

Getting 1K progress is not a gimme by any stretch.

Quicksilver PVP's eat through a TON of healthpacks. Especially this one, having to deal with a potential boosted Iceman and/or 4Clops.
    I also only have a Level 100 4 5 4 Quicksilver, so going up against other max level ones won't be fun.

I can barely climb to 1K PVP regardless honestly. I just don't know how to do it. I've done it maybe 3 times total since a 4 Star was added at 1K.
    I couldn't even do it in the damn Scarlet Witch PVP and I even have a winfinite team (altho I did do it in Hollowpoint Kiss). Kept losing points every time I'd come back (most likely because a winfinite team is not great on defense). The standard "I get to about 800/850 points and then after every fight I lose more points than I won" problem.
    PVP is too damn frustrating in this game IMO because of the point loss implementation honestly.

Riddle me this:
    I've read that people say they "queue up" their targets while they are shielded so they have high point value fights when they break shield to hop. Isn't the probability very high that they guy you queued at 45+ points will only be worth about 20 by the time you fight him? If they were a juicy target for you, then they are for everyone else too.
    So, why bother to waste your skips while you are shielded if by the time you fight them, they'll have been beaten back down and worth a fraction of the points you thought they were worth?
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    scottee wrote:

Getting 1K progress is not a gimme by any stretch.

Quicksilver PVP's eat through a TON of healthpacks. Especially this one, having to deal with a potential boosted Iceman and/or 4Clops.
    I also only have a Level 100 4 5 4 Quicksilver, so going up against other max level ones won't be fun.

I can barely climb to 1K PVP regardless honestly. I just don't know how to do it. I've done it maybe 3 times total since a 4 Star was added at 1K.
    I couldn't even do it in the damn Scarlet Witch PVP and I even have a winfinite team (altho I did do it in Hollowpoint Kiss). Kept losing points every time I'd come back (most likely because a winfinite team is not great on defense). The standard "I get to about 800/850 points and then after every fight I lose more points than I won" problem.
    PVP is too damn frustrating in this game IMO because of the point loss implementation honestly.

Riddle me this:
    I've read that people say they "queue up" their targets while they are shielded so they have high point value fights when they break shield to hop. Isn't the probability very high that they guy you queued at 45+ points will only be worth about 20 by the time you fight him? If they were a juicy target for you, then they are for everyone else too.
    So, why bother to waste your skips while you are shielded if by the time you fight them, they'll have been beaten back down and worth a fraction of the points you thought they were worth?

As someone who went thru the phase you're in right now, the easiest thing is to get on LINE and find a shield check room for whichever slice you're in. You'll quickly figure out who is going to shield and hop quickly to maintain their points so your 45 Qs become 55-75pt Qs by the time you hit them during a hop. Alternatively, you need to keep checking the Top 10 and seeing which alliance those guys are in (Villains, Xmen, MPQU, NJL, Lumberjacks, etc, etc, etc). When you Q members from those top alliances, the odds are that they will have juicy point totals by the time you hit them. This seems like a ton of work, but it becomes pretty easy after a few PVPs, and it's much, much better than always getting beaten down from 900ish and never hitting 1000 or 1300. Hope this helps.
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Ugh really? Again with the "if you don't use line and do shield hops you will never be successful" tripe. Why does oog chat need to be required just to succeed?

I've gotten ridiculously far without ever doing either.