Forum Thread

aesthetocyst
aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
Forum Thread
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    11 for 109, w/ 32 in the bank and counting. I stopped opening them waiting for Iso.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    You have no option for "I is bad at math and have no idea how legendaries I've opened"... /sad
  • tiger92882
    tiger92882 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Is there anyway to know how many LTs you have opened? Does someone know how many have been available as rewards for PvE and PvP?
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    I'll bring it up again. I love the idea brought up by ppl much smarter of a combo beaker. If you don't pull a 5* within 20 straight pulls, the 21st is guaranteed to be a 5*.
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    6 out of 65 for 9.23%

ss - 100
    bsm - 001
    oml - 202
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    tiger92882 wrote:
    Is there anyway to know how many LTs you have opened? Does someone know how many have been available as rewards for PvE and PvP?

Unless you have kept records .... or never opened any ... or pulled 100% 5*s .... then no. The game doesn't keep track for you.

Yeah, but there is an answer to how many were available in all PVE and PVP events. That would be the baseline and then people could adjust based on how many CP they've collected and how many other LTs they may have gotten with 40packs, DDQ tokens, etc...
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Although I have two red Phoenixes, I don't remember the total that I've opened. I suspect well more than 20.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Gee, another 5* scaling thread. Sigh.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    I'll bring it up again. I love the idea brought up by ppl much smarter of a combo beaker. If you don't pull a 5* within 20 straight pulls, the 21st is guaranteed to be a 5*.

There's another mobile game out there from Square Enix called Havenstrike Rivals (it's got a classic Final Fantasy Tactics art style and SFX and such), and they do this with their card packs that you need to buy to get characters.
    Funny, they even rank their characters by star rating as well, with 5 Star being the rarest you can get from a pack. They have a counter at the bottom of the store screen that goes up to 15, so if you haven't pulled a 5 Star within 15 pulls, your next one is a 100% guaranteed 5 Star. (They even have a 6 Star rating when you promote a 5 star! icon_eek.gif )

This would go a really long way to stop this RNG progression-based madness.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    irwando wrote:
    Gee, another 5* scaling thread. Sigh.
    It is? Could've fooled me...
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Sorry, 5* RNG/pull rate thread.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    irwando wrote:
    Sorry, 5* RNG/pull rate thread.
    big difference between a data gathering thread and a complaint thread. someone touchy today?
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I have no clue exactly how many I've pulled, but I know my luck has been WAY above average. If I had to pull a number out of my kitty, I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 tokens since their inception, and I have a 1/1/3 Surfer, 2/1/2 Phoenix and 3/0/1 Logan to show for it. One of those Surfers came from daily rewards, so thats 13/100. Actually, that's only slightly above average, but far better than the horror stories I hear about people going 2/400.

Here's the caveat tho: I DON'T WANT THEM*. I've said it before, and I'll say it again here. 5* characters are BORING. I've seen the gameplay at the 5* level, and it's not a game I want to play. If all I wanted to do was match gems ~20 times to win EVERY match, I'd go play Bejeweled or Candy Crush. This game to me is all about finding cool synergies and interactions between super heroes and using their powers in interesting ways to take down other teams of superheroes. Lower the match damage of the 5*s to something reasonable and I'm on board, but when Logan can take a critical tile and match it with two other black gems and do almost 10,000 damage, I'm bored. I want to play the far more interesting 3-4* game for as long as I'm able, but I have some pretty severe fears that this "improved MMR" is going to see my half-decently covered 5*s and force the 5* game on me. At that point, I have a hard decision to make, and I'm leaning very heavily toward the uninstall button...

*If I could trade those 5 Surfer covers for enough ISO to take Iceman, Rulk, Thing, X23 and Falcap to their current level caps (270, 270, 270, 250, 250 respectively), I would do it in a heartbeat.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Much as I love the idea of a meta-counter that would guarantee premium drops after a set number of non-premiums, I don't think it will be a very attractive suggestion for the devs. the problem is that the elite players open many many more LTs than "normal" players.

Here are the main ways to get LTs
    (1) With grinding, everyone can get 1-2 LTs a week from PVE.

(2) Those with deep 4* benches can get 1 more every 5 days from DDQ

(3) Vets with strong PVP rosters can get another 0-3 per week from PVP

(4) Championing offers a large initial glut of up to 60 something LTs if one has the iso and all characters maxed, and then a fairly slow stream thereafter

(5) And everyone can occasionally get one from DDQ vaults, CP purchases, or 40 packs

Depending on how many of those methods of procurement you can reach, you might get 1 LT a week, or more like 10 -15 (more during the initial champion glut). So something that ensured 1 5* for every 15 LTs could mean months in between covers for newer players (i.e. no real change to the slow rate of progress), but more or less guarantees the top class of players a new 5* cover every weak (i.e. even more with maxed or near maxed 5*s). That sort of disparity is hard to balance (both in this specific instance, and throughout the game in general).

And Tanis:

You are right that 5*s absolutely destroy lower tier characters right now. But I don't think 5* match damage would be problematic in a (still mostly hypothetical) 5* world. 10k for a critical match 3 isn't nearly as bad when everyone has 40k+ health.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2016
    Last time I actually bothered to estimate it, back in this thread: Player survey of 5* pulled from LTs (https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38063 ) I was 4 five stars for around 40-45 LT's opened (just after the first round of championing 3 stars). Another 5* was from the Daily rewards.

I really haven't kept track since but now I'm at 9 five star covers and I don't think I've had as much LT's as I had before then (less than month). I can't believe it's been more than 20. Take away the SS and the OML covers from Daily rewards, that's 7 five star cover pulls from around 60 actual LT's. So I'm guessing around 12%.

UPDATE: Adjusted post to account for the two 5* covers from Daily rewards, which wouldn't count as a LT pull.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've gotten all but five DDQ tokens, no 1300 tokens, nearly all of the PvE tokens and a good amount of CP, and come away with 12 5* covers, all pulled at 10% odds (I saved tokens until OML debuted). My gut instinct is that it works out to a bit less than 10%, but not by too much?
  • SS was released 9/10 and OML about a month later. I opened 20 tokens when OML came out and got zero 5* covers. Since then I have maintained my 5 LTs/week (more or less) with additional tokens for CP and buyer clubs. Overall I think I have opened over 200 LTs, and have eight 5* covers to show for it: 3-4%

I honestly haven't been too disappointed though (I should be given the impossibility of "catching up") because I have almost completely filled out my 4* roster. I now have 6 maxed 4* characters with probably a dozen others cover maxed and waiting for ISO. I'm having a lot of fun being completely transitioned to 4* play at this point.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    i have somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 4* covers, of which the vast majority are from LT's, and I have exactly 1 5* - an OML yellow which i haven't rostered yet.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    The problem here is that the premise of the poll is *super ultra* unscientific. For every person who has the data and reports it accurately, there are going to be a bunch of people who answer based on gut feeling.

It is interesting to note that there's a significant bump in the distribution around 5%, and I'll admit it makes me wonder if people with a large number of pulls have some kind of governor placed on their ability to pull 5*s. But we literally can draw zero actual conclusions from a convenience poll based on people's hazy guesses.
  • I'll be generous and say i've opened a measly 50 legendary tokens or so. Probably more, but not a ton.

I have 1 5* to show for it at present.