Galactus Event - Nova Essential [Merged Thread]

Comments

• I found it is a great problem for alliance need merc for the new 4*. This overlapping is totally non sense to me.
  • Is it the way how galactus run? I am not sure about it, sorry icon_e_sad.gif
    That's better in this case, thanks icon_e_smile.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    BearVenger wrote:
    You're totally leaving out the fact that each Hunt token provides a 1/500 chance of a free Nova cover. Everyone has a shot at the latest character.
    I assume the Galactus tokens will have a better chance to get Nova covers too. You might even get some tokens for free before The Hunt ends!
  • kaelad
    kaelad Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    I wondered the same thing, since I normally play in the last time slice. I'm relatively new and haven't run through the Galactus event before. I understand that there are alliance progression rewards and no placement rewards, but why is it run like there's only one slice?
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    kaelad wrote:
    I wondered the same thing, since I normally play in the last time slice. I'm relatively new and haven't run through the Galactus event before. I understand that there are alliance progression rewards and no placement rewards, but why is it run like there's only one slice?

Normally, the 1st 500 (noobs,int, vets) are all lumped into the same bracket. At the end of the event, the AI checks alliance affiliation and awards alliance prizes.

Galactus and Ultron are different because:

All they did is put the 1st 20 people to register under "alliance X" name into the same bracket. This is why there is only 1 slice. This is just an architecture or game design decision. At the end of the event, there is no check for alliance affiliation. Everyone in the bracket gets awarded the same "alliance progression award" Even though they call it an "alliance" progression its actually a total bracket progression. If you look at all the various types of PVE they have published in the last 2 years, you can see how ultron and galactus are cobbled together from other event mechanics.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:
    kaelad wrote:

Normally, the 1st 1000 (noobs,int, vets) are all lumped into the same bracket. At the end of the event, the AI checks alliance affiliation and awards alliance prizes.

Galactus and Ultron are different because:

All they did is put the 1st 20 people to register under "alliance X" name into the same bracket. This is why there is only 1 slice. This is just an architecture or game design decision. At the end of the event, there is no check for alliance affiliation. Everyone in the bracket gets awarded the same "alliance progression award" Even though they call it an "alliance" progression its actually a total bracket progression. If you look at all the various types of PVE they have published in the last 2 years, you can see how ultron and galactus are cobbled together from other event mechanics.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rounds 1 and 2, and sometimes 3 go so fast, you will be waiting on timers by the time your slices end, i have to wait on 5pm for Nova, but shouldn't miss much, outside of a token.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    The sad reality is slice 3 that will be the victim of server crash if one happens. therefore all in slice 3 will miss the grind for Nova. This might keep status quo in the rankings (or not) but it will make getting LT very difficult.
  • I'm in the same boat. I'm on track to get a Nova Cover when my The Hunt slice ends in 14 hours however Galactus Event starts in 3 hours for everyone. It's not the end of the world but is certainly discouraging that I'll be starting off with a disadvantage and losing out on some early points and essential node rewards.

I can understand not wanting to give folks downtime between events but for events that have a global start for everyone they should start after all slices of the previous event are closed...especially when they introduce a new required character for the event as anyone in the later slices won't have it yet unless that got REALLY lucky with a reward cover.
  • Magic wrote:
    The sad reality is slice 3 that will be the victim of server crash if one happens. therefore all in slice 3 will miss the grind for Nova. This might keep status quo in the rankings (or not) but it will make getting LT very difficult.

That's precisely what happened during the last Galactus run. This same scenario we had to deal with before and I was in like 6th place in s3 so i did my grind early to secure my top 10 and be prepared for Galactus when it started.
    So when Galactus started and crashed the game I ended up taking 1st in the event because nobody else could finish their grinds!
    Now that it's a new character release the stakes are even higher and i'm still deciding if that is the best course of action this time as well.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Subject says it all. Unless you're in slice 1 or 2, or got crazy lucky and pulled him from Hunt tokens, there's no way for you to have the essential 4* character for the first several rounds of galactus. Nice job devs, way to use your foresight. I really don't know why I'm still surprised by things like this...

Slice 3 misses nothing. It ends at 5pm EST, you'll still be able to hit the first set of Galactus before 8pm.

Slice 4/5 misses one node/Galactus hit. You're done at 11pm/2am, second set doesn't end til 4am. Ok, maybe you miss two if you clear early and go to bed, but that's a personal choice.

As far as rewards during the early rounds, The first runs for Galactus, once you played, you're locked out regardless if the round resets. So you're not gaining anything by playing early anyway.

Now if they fixed that, yeah, early birds *might* miss out on 1-3 extra nodes but realistically round 1/2 and sometimes 3 is done before everyone clears everything anyway.

The impact of the overlap is being grossly overstated. Even if they listened to the pitchforks and decided it unfair, compensation for this would be like 1-2 event tokens, and that would still feel like a net gain.
  • So how do I merc for Nova? Start Galactus in the alliance I want to finish in, do a clear or something, then merc out for Nova, and merc back in???

What if I do a clear while merced out, will my alliance get those points back?
  • Quebbster
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Subject says it all. Unless you're in slice 1 or 2, or got crazy lucky and pulled him from Hunt tokens, there's no way for you to have the essential 4* character for the first several rounds of galactus. Nice job devs, way to use your foresight. I really don't know why I'm still surprised by things like this...

Slice 3 misses nothing. It ends at 5pm EST, you'll still be able to hit the first set of Galactus before 8pm.

Slice 4/5 misses one node/Galactus hit. You're done at 11pm/2am, second set doesn't end til 4am. Ok, maybe you miss two if you clear early and go to bed, but that's a personal choice.

As far as rewards during the early rounds, The first runs for Galactus, once you played, you're locked out regardless if the round resets. So you're not gaining anything by playing early anyway.

Now if they fixed that, yeah, early birds *might* miss out on 1-3 extra nodes but realistically round 1/2 and sometimes 3 is done before everyone clears everything anyway.

The impact of the overlap is being grossly overstated. Even if they listened to the pitchforks and decided it unfair, compensation for this would be like 1-2 event tokens, and that would still feel like a net gain.
    By not clearing everything immediately, you may miss out on the extra Galactus battle you can get by letting his 8 hour timer run out... Won't be an issue for me, but others may have that problem.
  • Quebbster
    So how do I merc for Nova? Start Galactus in the alliance I want to finish in, do a clear or something, then merc out for Nova, and merc back in???

What if I do a clear while merced out, will my alliance get those points back?
    Once you join the Galactus event you lock in your alliance. All Galactus points you earn go to that alliance, even if you leave that alliance and join another for the finish of The Hunt. Just don't start Galactus while mercing and you should be fine.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    By not clearing everything immediately, you may miss out on the extra Galactus battle you can get by letting his 8 hour timer run out... Won't be an issue for me, but others may have that problem.

From my perspective, that extra one is not realistic around the clock anyway.

I know there are some crazies out there that will set alarms, but I'd think those people also won't have an issue setting the alarm a few hours later because they started later.

Edit: Also from my own perspective, last run of Galactus our alliance cleared it, and I went flying past the LT progression even without hitting 6 of 6 every round. So missing one extra (especially early) isn't death either.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster wrote:

From my perspective, that extra one is not realistic around the clock anyway.

I know there are some crazies out there that will set alarms, but I'd think those people also won't have an issue setting the alarm a few hours later because they started later.

Edit: Also from my own perspective, last run of Galactus our alliance cleared it, and I went flying past the LT progression even without hitting 6 of 6 every round. So missing one extra (especially early) isn't death either.
    I'm definitely not setting any alarms, but that means the extra clears I can get are extra important. Heck, if I do some clears after getting my Nova awards that means 8 hours later will be approximately when I start work...
    It's definitely not the end of the world, but it does have some practical effect. Assuming Nova is even needed for the first two passes... He probably is, but sometimes you do get positively surprised.
  • Last time around I made a spreadsheet that calculated my max possible score to understand what kind of commitment I would need, and how many times I could wipe and still hit final progression.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're going to make Nova an essential in Galactus, why the hell are you starting it before 3 of the 5 Hunt shards have ended? Everyone is S5 is going to have more than half a day of not being able to hit this node. For an event in which we're "supposed to lose", was it REALLY necessary to further handicap us? Did you REALLY need for the events to overlap like this?
  • As someone who normally plays the later shards due to things like a life, I won't be able to play the node till later on. I think having Nova as a node should have been added in the later rounds after the current PVE ends. Majority of us grind at this game enough, I hope they make an adjustment. Probably give us a galactus token with a special moonstone in it for us.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    tanis3303 wrote:

Here is what gets lost by running the first refresh before s4 & 5 get Nova for the essential.
    In the first refresh my alliance will clear three, maybe four rounds. Which means I miss the best single award node which has always been the 4* essential node. So best case I miss out on four crit boosts worst case I miss out on 4 galactus tokens or 4 500 iso or 4 250 iso. All things which I have no chance to win if I am in s4 or s5 of The Hunt.

I lose potentially four chances to win more Nova covers because they will have a better drop rate in this event now that I can't buy them.

This is just carelessness on a high level and there is no minimizing the effect on those of us still playing The Hunt.