Scarlet Witch isn't even that good.

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Unpopular opinion time. I'm not saying she's bad, but damn is she overrated and overused. I mean, when there's literally a character you can bring (Jean Grey) into a match that would automatically devastate SW and her team by doing nothing, that is a huge factor. On her own, she's pretty much trash and needs a team of well covered and leveled 3 and 4 stars to be usable. But now that the cheap, winfinite team has been nerfed, she's dropped even more in value. I don't understand why she is the character I see most often in PvP when she is incredibly flawed and has the potential to make you an easy target.

Comments

• Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    What happens when you look at her as a support character and not a standalone character?
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    20three wrote:
    Unpopular opinion time. I'm not saying she's bad, but damn is she overrated and overused. I mean, when there's literally a character you can bring (Jean Grey) into a match that would automatically devastate SW and her team by doing nothing, that is a huge factor. On her own, she's pretty much trash and needs a team of well covered and leveled 3 and 4 stars to be usable. But now that the cheap, winfinite team has been nerfed, she's dropped even more in value. I don't understand why she is the character I see most often in PvP when she is incredibly flawed and has the potential to make you an easy target.

I think you're right and everyone else is wrong icon_rolleyes.gif . You remind me of someone else that had a breakdown in the Scarlet Witch thread. You should probably check that thread out, and you'll see why most people like her, and why some people don't. "On her own" statement really isn't valid in a game where you go 3 on 3.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use her to feed Jean in PvE and she's fantastic. Especially for survival nodes.

But yeah, she's a support character for someone with a better purple. That's all.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always find it funny that QS and SW came out at the same time, and people hated QS and loved SW.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    lukewin wrote:
    20three wrote:

I think you're right and everyone else is wrong icon_rolleyes.gif . You remind me of someone else that had a breakdown in the Scarlet Witch thread. You should probably check that thread out, and you'll see why most people like her, and why some people don't. "On her own" statement really isn't valid in a game where you go 3 on 3.

I'll get right on that, Quicksilver incarnate icon_e_wink.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2016
    Using a passive ability isn't considered doing "nothing". SW move that people love is a passive ability too, so they both stand there doing 'nothing' to each other... lol.

She is a great support character. Purple feeder and a 5 turn stun with AOE damage isn't anything to sneeze at.

Personally, I enjoy using her. I don't have many useable 4*, so she is a pretty good choice for me currently. Unfortunately all my SW covers expired just before the Champion feature came out so she's one of 2 3* that are maxed, but not champed right now.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Mine is just a troll. Always putting her blue CD tile wherever I had a match 4 or 5 lined up. Either that or the corners. Girl loves her corners.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    I think she's still useful, she's good support for 4*'s. AP color generators will always be welcome.

Besides using with Jean Grey for the obvious benefits, I've been using her lately with Kingpin/Red Hulk with good results. She feeds purple to Rulk, and there's always a friendly Countdown tile for KP to exploit with Wilson's Gambit.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here's my take on the subject, just from a slightly different perspective. The Hood is absolute junk. Only 1 move worth using that can cause any real damage and that ends the turn, combined with a really low health pool and it is a character not worth rostering.

Some characters are not supposed to be good on their own. That is why you hide them behind others on the field and when things go **** up and they are the only ones left fighting you either hope for the motherboard of all cascades or hit the retreat option.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    20three wrote:
    On her own, she's pretty much trash
    Nope...

I never knew that you were that flexible.
  • Orion wrote:
    I use her to feed Jean in PvE and she's fantastic. Especially for survival nodes.

But yeah, she's a support character for someone with a better purple. That's all.
    Same here. Who do you add as a 3rd? I've actually been using Mystique for even more bonus blue -> purple. Works really well against goons once it gets going.

What I really like about SWitch is that if you do get in a pinch, her purple can really come through with that massively long stun. And boy is it annoying to be fighting her in PvP and to have your powerhouse character get stunned for 5 turns. I usually target her first because I don't want to have to deal with a passive battery for an ability that stuns for 5 turns. No character that often gets targeted first should be considered "not that good".
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Orion wrote:

Same here. Who do you add as a 3rd? I've actually been using Mystique for even more bonus blue -> purple. Works really well against goons once it gets going.

What I really like about SWitch is that if you do get in a pinch, her purple can really come through with that massively long stun. And boy is it annoying to be fighting her in PvP and to have your powerhouse character get stunned for 5 turns. I usually target her first because I don't want to have to deal with a passive battery for an ability that stuns for 5 turns. No character that often gets targeted first should be considered "not that good".

If you have 4* Cyc. Oh god it's beautiful.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    My favorite Switch team is Antman/Kingpin/Scarlet Witch. So many countdowns...so many finger pokes!
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    All she does is speed up matches, you're right why would anyone value that ability. Burn the witch. Booo...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    bottom tier as a pure damage dealer. however, there so much more to the game than just dealing damage. if you're only looking at damage dealers, you're going to have a rough time of it (thor/doom, while strong, are way too slow to use usually). same can be said of loki, hood, falcon, and obw. an automatic purple generator is so good at every level of play - whether 2* (obw, mnmags), 3* (fist, kk, gsbw, dp), or 4* (jean, kp, fury, rulk, iceman) - she makes those moves automatic without you having to chase purple.
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    20three wrote:
    Unpopular opinion time. I'm not saying she's bad, but damn is she overrated and overused. I mean, when there's literally a character you can bring (Jean Grey) into a match that would automatically devastate SW and her team by doing nothing, that is a huge factor.

Shhh. Don't let on. Many people clearly haven't realised this, given the number of Winfinite teams I can slaughter in PvP using JG against SW. icon_e_wink.gif

But seriously... yeah. She's not great on defense in PvP, but many aren't. She's ace in PvE when you want to speed up matches. (Unless, as someone else pointed out, you have a troll version. Mine flitters between troll and devastation from hell.) Just a matter of finding a good place to use certain chars, really.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    This forum needs a character discussion sub forum. There could even be threads dedicated to individual mpq characters in that sub forum also.

It would kind of stink for people who just need to open random new threads here but it would be neat.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    SW + 2* Hawkeye. you know you want to try it!
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    SW + 2* Hawkeye. you know you want to try it!

Toss in 2* Mags and critical boosts and watch them destroy non-trivial nodes.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2016
    LIZOLSEN.png

Yeah, I think I'd be willing to take one for the team here, guys..... I know, I know -- it's big of me.

(edit: found a better picture....)
This discussion has been closed.