**** Nova (Sam Alexander) ****

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has anyone tried x23 with nova? Seems like a good pair. Almost rainbow cover and the only over lap is on a passive.

Plus x23 generates black strikes as well making using black a little easier.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has anyone tried x23 with nova? Seems like a good pair. Almost rainbow cover and the only over lap is on a passive.

I honestly can't remember if I tried them together... I find X-23 to be a wee bit unreliable unfortunately.
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker

I did, and they're quite good partners, but far from perfect.
    Nova enables X23 purple to fire more often, which is nice. They lack some kind of board control though and you can still forget about her making Danger Zone faster. To generate 2 strikes on green, you need 16 green ap + 9 red ap; for strike tile from purple you need 12 purple ap or some strike tiles already out AND a bit of luck (so you can match the trap). This might work better in survival nodes etc, where you have the time to set it up. Once they start rolling, you could fire black for damage more often.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

I use OML + Nova + x-23 as a PVE b-team for grinding out early clears.

My OML is a one cover tank (0/1/0 @255), my nova and x23 are both decently covered, but still low level (4/2/4 @111, and 5/1/4 @111, respectively).

It's a solid, but slightly slow team. Nova does produce plenty of strikes for x23's purple. But having to wait until you have 9 red and 8 green can slow down Nova's red. all in all, it's a very reliable team for PVE grinding, but probably not one I would use for shield hopping.
  • Quebbster
    OJSP wrote:
    Thor, Nova, X-23 is my favourite SHIELD team. All-New, All-Different Avengers. I think ideally Nova should be the same level as Thor or higher and X-23 the highest so she tanks Red too (the problem is she needs to be a lot higher to tank all 3 of her colours), but with Green and Purple she heals quite well too.

I use Nova 3/5/5 in this team. A bit easy to beat by others, but fun nonetheless.
    I can't really fathom running Nova with less than 5 red. Rocket Man is just so fun to use. The other Powers are mostly there to help get Rocket Man up and running IMO. icon_e_smile.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    Quebbster wrote:
    OJSP wrote:
    Thor, Nova, X-23 is my favourite SHIELD team. All-New, All-Different Avengers. I think ideally Nova should be the same level as Thor or higher and X-23 the highest so she tanks Red too (the problem is she needs to be a lot higher to tank all 3 of her colours), but with Green and Purple she heals quite well too.

I use Nova 3/5/5 in this team. A bit easy to beat by others, but fun nonetheless.
    I can't really fathom running Nova with less than 5 red. Rocket Man is just so fun to use. The other Powers are mostly there to help get Rocket Man up and running IMO. icon_e_smile.gif

With you there, the alt black happens so rarely that I just use black for the strikes. I'd probably favour a 535 build
  • Quebbster
    OJSP wrote:
    Nova is so versatile that I change his built depending on who he is paired with. In the team I mentioned, I would use Thor's Red, Nova's Yellow and X-23's Green as the main damage dealer, so Nova's Rocket Man is just for emergency if Thor's Blue is not ready. We are using his Black to make X-23's Purple cheaper, so we might as well increase the strength of the strike tiles. Also, the bug with his Red made the damage unreliable, so I used his Red less often. Even at 3 Red, the additional damage from the strike tiles (5 Black) is significant for Rocket Man.

Normally I have Nova 5/5/3 with Iceman and IM40, or 5/3/5 for his DDQ.
    I get why you do it, I just can't see myself giving up on all the Rocket Man fun. To each their own though.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Pretty sure this patch broke nova. His yellow is only dropping 2 strike tiles instead of the normal 3. It does fit the "for each ally still in the fight" better but it makes me sad
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pretty sure this patch broke nova. His yellow is only dropping 2 strike tiles instead of the normal 3. It does fit the "for each ally still in the fight" better but it makes me sad

That's how yellow always worked. "Each ally" never counted himself.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind wrote:

I could swear it's been dropping 3 since before today but maybe I'm just crazy
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    Jarvind wrote:

I could swear it's been dropping 3 since before today but maybe I'm just crazy
    Maybe you used it as a teamup. It can drop up to 3 strikes then.
  • OneLastGambit
    You're crazy. Always been 2 strikes lol
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    Finally got him champed. Been wanting to try him at 5/3/5 since that sets up black. Red gives 3 strikes, yellow gives 2, black erases them. Its decent. Red gives 3 x 198 (594), and yellow gives 2 x 126 (252) plus 882 (plus 594 from strikes). Then you get 846 plus 8119 damage from black. So for 6 red, 7 yellow, 8 black you get 2 attacks for 1.7k and 9k for 21 ap =510 damage per ap. Getting 12 red would let you throw an airborne before erasing the tiles. Although I guess having 12 red it would be better to send two guys airborne?

Comparing that to Nova At 5/5/3 using rocket man instead and going yellow then red, yellow gives 2 x 198 (396) and 3068, and red does 4518 (plus 396). 2 attacks for 3k and 5k for 13 ap, =615 damage per ap. If you collected 8 black that only adds 378 in strikes.

So I'll probably change him to the consensus 5/5/3. I dunno, 5 red seems mandatory. Having the yellow at 5 is nice, but I like black at 5, too much damage or strikes to ignore.

Just a note, I was able to get enough strikes from 3* bullseye a couple times, was able to get danger zone and rocketman without and yellow. Not reliable obviously, but it was fun.
  • CaptainFosco
    CaptainFosco Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    mexus said:
    While I don't have Nova very well-covered, I love meeting him in battles because I enjoy his animations.
    They're be best animations in the game. Discuss.
    I would've agreed, but then Baby Groot came along. 
  • MaxGoof
    MaxGoof Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I was really psyched to finally champion Nova this week, but I’m having a hard time finding ***/**** characters to pair him with. There’s been a lot of new characters and changes in the last year, so I wanted to see if anyone had any new Nova strategies to share?

I’m used to annihilating quickly with **** GRocket & Gamora, and I’m finding San a little bit slow in comparison. 
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Try C&D they are a great partner because they generate black or yellow whichever one you want to focus on using with Nova, the other options would be anybody who generates a lot of red, IM40, Ironheart and Phoenix come to mind, if you use Ironheart I would suggest slotting her 3/5/5 together those two have a ton of control and hit like a truck.  You can juggle a 5 start team with these two they can hit well above their weight class.  He also pairs well with OML because of the speed of Nova's powers and the fact that OML will generate black strikes to accelerate Nova's red.  But again I would start with C&D the third is whoever fits your play style.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    MaxGoof said:
    I was really psyched to finally champion Nova this week, but I’m having a hard time finding ***/**** characters to pair him with. There’s been a lot of new characters and changes in the last year, so I wanted to see if anyone had any new Nova strategies to share?

I only use Nova when he's boosted, he's really good in those instances. Good 4-star partners are Teen Jean, C&D, Prof X, Rhulk, Riri, Iceman...
  • MaxGoof
    MaxGoof Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I’m surprised to see people recommending Riri with Nova. Won’t her Red always be better than his?
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    MaxGoof said:
    I’m surprised to see people recommending Riri with Nova. Won’t her Red always be better than his?
    Yeah, I use her red over Nova's. And his black/yellow strike tile generation beefs it up nicely.
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    just champed Nova - will give him a run next time hes boosted