R92 stunning [Merged Topic] [fix in R93]

DeNappa
DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
Originally from the Patch Notes thread, Malcrof requested I post this here, too:
DeNappa wrote:
So, I just installed R92 and I noticed that whenever a stun is fired, the stunned character is pushed to the background. Is this an intended change? It can really impact some matches so it would be strange to release this unannounced...

I don't think it was like this before, it's especially obvious if you do the stunning yourself, I stunned a Hammer Lieut with Steve Rogers intending to down him while he was stunned, but I had to switch the enemy team because he disappeared to the back.

Another example: playing the current heroic PVE, I saw Venom had enough AP to fire a stun + devour in his next turn, so I made a match with Daken who I intended to tank the damage... but now he was moved to the back and my 2nd character took the damage...

Mod Edit: Merged other threads on same topic into this one

Mod edit: Per Demiurge, this will be fixed in R93.

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aw ****, really? That's absurd. Doubly so on the enemy side since you can still cycle back to the stunned target.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Addendum: if a stun affects the entire team, the character in front is *also* pushed back. Smells like a bug. icon_e_geek.gif
  • Rhycar
    Rhycar Posts: 107 Tile Toppler
    Who in the world thought this was a good idea, and how soon until they're fired?

In all seriousness, the latest "feature" included in the patch is terrible. I don't need the game EVER selecting who I target. It's really bad when you have DD's stun, which is tied to a countdown timer, and you don't realize the opponent has switched until you get off a move or two. Please change this back. It was a wretched idea in the first place, and it's not any better now that it's been implemented.
  • DalekGAF
    DalekGAF Posts: 52 Match Maker
    I've been playing this since the patch and I can't believe someone thought this was a good idea? When I stun an enemy I want to keep hitting them!
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    It is super annoying, and defeats the purpose of the word "stun". How do they move out of the way if they are supposed to be stunned??
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is the type of change they are making instead of working on 20 ISO that even they hate. No surprise as to their priorities.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    For me too. Stunned an enemy with shapeshift. Wasn't paying attention and wanted to use her black to down it, but it got moved to the back.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Found another issue with this change that is purely cosmetic. If you use Mystique's purple power to stun an opponent the character gets moved to the back BEFORE she takes on their appearance which means she appears as the character now at the front.
  • Dribbler
    Dribbler Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    I will add my commentary that this new feature is not one that fills me with positive feelings.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Uh, I was pretty sure it's been like this for a while. That's how I'd observed stuns working in DDQ "Under the Sea" - could just be that survival nodes always worked differently.

I don't mind so much except that it works one way when an enemy gets stunned and a different way when a friendly character gets stunned (or has this also changed in the latest patch?)
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    At first on your team they wouldn't automatically rotate back, but making matches always ended at that inevitability. Your opponent when stunned however would not rotate at all unless you chose them to and would always stay in the same rotation if you selected someone else.

Then they recently switched it to the opponent still stays out front, but can be switched out. If you then down the new opponent in front, the still active opponent would rotate to the front, even if that changed the rotate order.

Now , in response to being stunned, the opponent automatically rotates to the back, causing you to have to rotate them back out front if you want to continue targeting them.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    Sometimes I think the developers are incompetent fools. This doesn't help.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    dider152 wrote:
    Sometimes I think the developers are incompetent fools. This doesn't help.

I don't like saying it but that statement is true. Cyclops' yellow (4*) has been bugged since he was ever released, and they dont have any plan on fixing it. It gives random AP instead of strongest color and somehow it's now a feature because they can't fix their garbage code.

Also, see every big event they ever runned, "check internet connection", servers **** out and whatnot.
  • Survival nodes have always brought a new guy in infront of a stunned target if you use team damage. Other than that I've not noticed anything new yet... suppose I haven't been using stun.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    edited January 2016
    This might benefit Daredevil. In the past, if you had two billy club countdowns out, they would sometimes end up being on the same count number. And when they resolved, they both stunned the same target, meaning one was wasted. Now, if the first stun sends the target to the back immediately, the second stun will hit a different enemy instead of going to waste.

(Edit: Now confirmed that Billy Club does behave like this.)
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    After seeing how much our users liked to use stun type moves we thought we would make this change to rotate out stunned opponents in order to allow the players to stun yet more opponents. In testing we found this change to be most engaging and immense fun. We hope you players also enjoy the benefits of this new feature but as always we like to read your feedback.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Linkster79 wrote:
    After seeing how much our users liked to use stun type moves we thought we would make this change to rotate out stunned opponents in order to allow the players to stun yet more opponents. In testing we found this change to be most engaging and immense fun. We hope you players also enjoy the benefits of this new feature but as always we like to read your feedback.
    ...so we can laugh about it in our design meetings.
  • Just realised since we've had the usual no input from the devs on this, we don't know that this is intended.

It's either a stealth update (which we've certainly seen before) OR a bug. There is a thread in the bugs subforum regarding this incase it is the second. Since it apparently moves targets around even if you stun the entire team, I would be more inclined to presume its a bug.
  • This is impacting Miles's Red ability too. It stuns, pushes the target to the back and then a different character takes the damage.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    +1

Noticing the same stun and move to the back of the party phenomenon. Don't like it.