Which 3* is the worst?

13»

Comments

• The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Lidolas wrote:
    IM40 is the only 3* I know of that is actually better when under-covered. That might not make him the worst to some people, but it does to me.

Let's see:
    - IM40's Red is over-costed & under-powered compared to other characters with Red damage abilities (Human Torch or Cyclops Red anyone? Hell, even Ragnaork for damage to AP ratio!!) AND has a negative side effect
    - IM40's Blue is the most expensive ability in the game, yet barely out-damages Kalama Khan's Green AND has a negative side effect
    - IM40's Yellow, the only decent ability he has, is purposefully under-covered by veteran players to avoid its **** design

We have to flat out AVOID Yellow covers to make it useful.
    That last reason alone should make him #1 on this list.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lidolas wrote:
    IM40 is the only 3* I know of that is actually better when under-covered. That might not make him the worst to some people, but it does to me.

Let's see:
    - IM40's Red is over-costed & under-powered compared to other characters with Red damage abilities (Human Torch or Cyclops Red anyone? Hell, even Ragnaork for damage to AP ratio!!) AND has a negative side effect
    - IM40's Blue is the most expensive ability in the game, yet barely out-damages Kalama Khan's Green AND has a negative side effect
    - IM40's Yellow, the only decent ability he has, is purposefully under-covered by veteran players to avoid its **** design

Except at 2 yellow, he's pretty useful to Steve users in PVE, which by definition makes him useful.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Lidolas wrote:

Let's see:

Except at 2 yellow, he's pretty useful to Steve users in PVE, which by definition makes him useful.

I've found a use for just about every 3* in PVE; the fact that he needs to be <13 covers for most people's uses of him means that IM40 has a bad design.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Iron Man for the same reasons already stated. No character should be worse the more covers you have invested in them, the offensive moves are too costly for the damage output, actually just too costly in general and poor Tony has been victimised by the power creep that was prevalent during the 3* release phase. IM-40 was bad during the early game but is now outright terrible compared to others in the tier.

Plus I made the terrible mistake of putting 3 covers into yellow and nothing can be done to drop that back down to 2.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've found a use for just about every 3* in PVE; the fact that he needs to be <13 covers for most people's uses of him means that IM40 has a bad design.

And I have a use for IM40 in PVE. His design is flawed without a doubt, but that doesn't mean that he's useless.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really good combos for bad characters.

Rags/Quicksilver/Invisible Woman--This rains AoE death. Rags red creates blue, IW uses blue to create locked tiles, match blue or use QS black for match

Bullseye/Iron Fist/Scarlet Witch or Bullseye/Carnage/SW--This one is fun.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Really good combos for bad characters.

Rags/Quicksilver/Invisible Woman--This rains AoE death. Rags red creates blue, IW uses blue to create locked tiles, match blue or use QS black for match

Plan on trying this as soon as heroic is over.. nice!
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nellobee wrote:
    Vision has the added "bonus" that the AI doesn't know how to play him.

True, but he's awesome on defense with Kamala Khan.
    Ever gone against that? Nothing more annoying than seeing Vision spam blue and yellow every other turn, healing the entire party for 1k HP.

I got more defensive wins in her PvP than I have for a long time using Vision and Scarlet Witch as my team.
  • nigelregal
    nigelregal Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Quicksilver basically has a niche use with his black to set up 5 matches with Prof X. I can't think of another use for him.

He might become useful if more characters get released who use bubble tiles.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with Spider Man because other than maybe Psylocke all of the other options at least have a use I can think of.
    Doc Oc's kinda meh, but against someone like Daken or Storm or Bullseye he can do a lot of damage and clear the board.
    Ragnarok is at least a damage dealer and charged tile maker.
    Bullseye makes survival nodes a cake walk if you get him going...and so on.

Spider Man though is just kinda...meh. No offensive capabilities, his passive is worse than 2* Bullseye's, his healing is less useful now than ever, and with how much it costs you'd be better off using someone else's yellow (Beast's yellow ability is the same thing but WAY better). All he has is his stun. Some might think that's enough, but it's not enough for me when I'm taking up a whole character slot for him.
  • DarqFeonix
    DarqFeonix Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    I went with Sentry, mostly because there is always a better Red/Yellow/Green character to use in any situation, be it Patch, Thor, or even Ares. Hell, even in his PVP, I will likely bring in a Red/Yellow/Green user to throw powers instead.

I actually have a special place in my heart for Ragnarok in a team of Rags/Cyke/Doom. There's an awesome cycle that you can hit there sometimes, Yellow->Red, Red->Blue, Blue->Black that is perfection when it arises.

Vision and Bullseye are two of my favorites, especially boosted. They don't compete with eachother for colors, and each benefit attacking when they Tank. Funny enough, coupled with Bullseye in Wave fights, there's actually a benefit to running 5 Yellow in Vision, since Bullseye will be filling the board with Strike tiles, you don't need Vision's insane attack power from Blue. (one of the benefits from Championing, natch)
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Dauthi wrote:
    Not at all. Eliminate all 3 matches of yellows on the board before dropping it and it will typically have a long life since it is a single strike tile. Unlike guys like R&G who have multiple medium strength tiles, all it takes is Sentry's one tile to get lodged somewhere untouchable and you will destroy the other team.

It's also important to realize when a character's offensive abilities are avoiding damage since you can't predict the future. If he drops his yellow you may save more health packs due to a quick kill then when the enemies who live instead pull off their abilities instead.
    True, but match-3s aren't the only thing you have to worry about. An errant match-4 line clear, a board shake ability or a special tile targeting ability (like Redwing) could easily take out your single strike tile (not to mention Sentry himself has 2 board shake abilities that can easily accomplish that).

If I remove all possible yellow matches before activating Panther's yellow, I can achieve a similar effect but with a better margin of safety. Also, multiple medium strength tiles better gain the benefit of several buffing abilities, like Inspiration, or powering up abilities like Keep Your Enemy Closer.

Spreading the strike damage out or keeping it all in one spot, I personally prefer keeping it in one spot. This means you get the full effectiveness of the ability while it stands, vs the higher chance of a few strikes getting taken out neutering the effectiveness of the ability. All it takes is his single yellow getting stuck in the corner of the board and welcome to 1kish match damage for the rest of the game.

The situations you provide are too specific. Just don't use Sentry vs Falcon, or with Falcon for instance. In general, he still assists the team more than most of the options on this list.

What is interesting is Panther's and Sentry's abilities are similar in power, given panther doesn't have the 12 teamups, and Sentry's costs 1 less ap, he just takes 15% of his life in payment. Panther is a high tier character, so if we are comparing a high tier character to a low tier character's ability, and they are similar, he cant be that bad.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dauthi wrote:
    What is interesting is Panther's and Sentry's abilities are similar in power, given panther doesn't have the 12 teamups, and Sentry's costs 1 less ap, he just takes 15% of his life in payment. Panther is a high tier character, so if we are comparing a high tier character to a low tier character's ability, and they are similar, he cant be that bad.
    But, but... self-damage!
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Dauthi wrote:
    But, but... self-damage!
    Yeah, the self damage is the main problem. Given that the entire game, particularly pve, revolve around managing health packs since the True Healing change, (true) health is an extremely valuable resource, and a power that drains it has better give some pretty tasty returns, and Sacrifice is just not good for its costs. Hulkbuster on the other hand is a good example for what kind of returns you should be expecting for a power with health costs.

Also, I wouldn't say Panther is a high-tier character either. More like mid-high. He used to be pretty good but he hasn't aged well. Anyway, Black Panther is a much better character because all his moves are better than Sentry. Yes, their yellow are somewhat comparable, but as full characters they aren't even in the same ballpark.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I went with Spider Man because other than maybe Psylocke all of the other options at least have a use I can think of.
    Doc Oc's kinda meh, but against someone like Daken or Storm or Bullseye he can do a lot of damage and clear the board.
    Ragnarok is at least a damage dealer and charged tile maker.
    Bullseye makes survival nodes a cake walk if you get him going...and so on.

Spider Man though is just kinda...meh. No offensive capabilities, his passive is worse than 2* Bullseye's, his healing is less useful now than ever, and with how much it costs you'd be better off using someone else's yellow (Beast's yellow ability is the same thing but WAY better). All he has is his stun. Some might think that's enough, but it's not enough for me when I'm taking up a whole character slot for him.
    Spider-man is awesome in Enemy of the State survival nodes, particularly paired with Falcon. Protect tiles means you don't have to worry about Caltrops damage, you can stun the villains when they pop up (or a ninja when their countdowns are about to resolve), and the healing can keep you going a lot longer.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Spider-man is awesome in Enemy of the State survival nodes, particularly paired with Falcon. Protect tiles means you don't have to worry about Caltrops damage
    You get out 600+ points worth of shield tiles with Spiderman?
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    What's really sad is how easy it would be to fix all these characters. Fans have posted their suggestions numerous times and they just get ignored because for some reason it's easier to design and introduce a shiny, new 5 star instead of a simple rework.

For example, Sentry, he's garbage. Why not just change sacrifice to a passive and just give him a strike tile passage like iron fist and luke cage's? (Obviously lower it's strength or just remove the self-damage part, but still the idea is there and he becomes slightly more usable.)
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Simply put, and sadly, because overhauling old characters doesn't sell token packs. New Spideys and Wolverines do.