Which 3* is the worst?

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
One of my favorite topics of interest, mainly cause there are so many viable candidates, yet no unified agreement. People always throw the same names around, but they're always together. So who is the worst overall?

Apologies if:
This topic has been made 7 million times
You don't care for my obnoxious polls
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now apologize for putting Bullseye on this list!
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO, Vision is the only one on that list who is objectively bad.

Spider-Man, Ragnarok, Iron Man, and even Quicksilver, all have some form of support ability which can be used to help the rest of a team. Vision is an exercise in bad design.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    IMO, Vision is the only one on that list who is objectively bad.

Spider-Man, Ragnarok, Iron Man, and even Quicksilver, all have some form of support ability which can be used to help the rest of a team. Vision is an exercise in bad design.

If you have a Vision with 5 blue covers and levelled up at least until the point he's 166 or above when buffed, you'll be surprised at the kind of damage he can output for very little cost. Ragnarok may have 2 outright damaging abilities and one support but all three are so bland and similar to others -while also being hilariously underpowered, that he takes my vote.

IM40 would have been my only other choice, but I know that people who got one with only 2 yellow covers have a use for it.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371

Well I can promise you that will never happen. I like Bullseye, but bottom line, he is bottom of the barrel. It's sad when your two star version is arguably superior, and would be vastly superior at the same level. He can be fun to play with, but he's just not a good character. He's especially worthless if you leave him on your team for PVP for the AI to control. Imagine that nightmare, he'd be lethally improvising his own team's tiles, randomly blowing up tiles with no rhyme or reason, and unless he somehow miraculously fires off an attack at the right time, the opposing team would never be dumb enough to have him in front to allow you to kill them with match damage. Granted, he's arguably the best on this list, but that doesn't excuse him from being on this list, in my opinion.
  • Pylgrim
    20three wrote:

Well I can promise you that will never happen. I like Bullseye, but bottom line, he is bottom of the barrel. It's sad when your two star version is arguably superior, and would be vastly superior at the same level. He can be fun to play with, but he's just not a good character. He's especially worthless if you leave him on your team for PVP for the AI to control. Imagine that nightmare, he'd be lethally improvising his own team's tiles, randomly blowing up tiles with no rhyme or reason, and unless he somehow miraculously fires off an attack at the right time, the opposing team would never be dumb enough to have him in front to allow you to kill them with match damage. Granted, he's arguably the best on this list, but that doesn't excuse him from being on this list, in my opinion.

I take you haven't taken him on survival nodes? Even my 110 level one is a beast in those.
  • djvkool
    djvkool Posts: 47
    20three wrote:

Wow, are you kidding? standard Bullseye is very good, when boosted, he is deadly, especially in survival mode when you have 5-6 waves, he can literally, single-handedly ends a wave of goons in 3 turns.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    IM-40 hands down, with quicksilver a close second. IM-40's abilities are WAY overcost for damage, his yellow STUNS himself as well as has a long countdown that can easily be taken out with board clear and often just matches. I'm a little puzzled at Ragnorok, as he is primarily a blue and green generator/hp soak. That can scale if played with the right team, though he still isn't "great".
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Vision has the added "bonus" that the AI doesn't know how to play him.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    20three wrote:

You have basically no idea what you're talking about. Bullseye is virtually dead middle of the 3* Gang.

That said, Bagnarok or Bagsilver is the loser of the lot.
  • IM40 is the only one with broken powers such that you can't apply covers and level him up or he gets _worse_. Ergo, he's the worst. Especially since his other powers are horrible as well. Quicksilver would be my #2 vote. I don't really like to play Rags, but I also don't enjoy playing against him, so that's at least some sort of vote of confidence for him.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Pylgrim wrote:
    20three wrote:

I take you haven't taken him on survival nodes? Even my 110 level one is a beast in those.

Yep, I may even put him up a few notches on my 3* guide. I have him championed and it is easy to keep the entire screen full of strike tiles. We are talking 2-3k damage a single match. God help the other team if you cascade. If he tanks all his colors, and teamups, you are activating black without even trying all the time.

I still agree that Ragnarok is bottom barrel. Sure his abilities are supportive, but they are the worst support abilities in the game while Iron Man's yellow is one of the best.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    IM40 is the only one with broken powers such that you can't apply covers and level him up or he gets _worse_. Ergo, he's the worst. Especially since his other powers are horrible as well. Quicksilver would be my #2 vote. I don't really like to play Rags, but I also don't enjoy playing against him, so that's at least some sort of vote of confidence for him.

IM40, despite being awful on his own, is one of the best red batteries. The best, amongst the 3* tier.

He's by no means "good", but having a use, even a niche use, puts him above the absolutely worthless heroes like QS.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    To me, Sentry is right now the worst 3-star. Other bad 3-star have some niche uses, but Sentry is the only one who will drain a ton of your health pack if you even use him at all. At least the other niche characters aren't screwing up the rest of your team when they are being used.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Agree Sentry - only character that even with 30 in all colours I still wouldn't use any of his abilities.

Lol Dr Octopus on this list - Probably my most used character - an actual Goon killing machine. Pair with Blade & OBW to easily beat goons @ Lv 250+.
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Sentry by far is the worst.
    At least iron man helps gain AP.
    Quicksilver slows matches with his blue and doesn't harm teammates. Ragnarok is probably the second worst but I did find, when paired with Doctor doom his red puts more blue for doom to turn to black, which makes some magical cascades.
  • Pylgrim
    So much hate for poor Quicksilver. I actually like him a lot. Pair him with Iron Fist and Professor X and his black makes a very good winfinite impression (he has to be a higher level than IF). More importantly, it is really fun and actually "puzzle"-like to find, orchestrate and execute 5-match after 5 match.
  • Dauthi
    Pylgrim wrote:
    So much hate for poor Quicksilver. I actually like him a lot. Pair him with Iron Fist and Professor X and his black makes a very good winfinite impression (he has to be a higher level than IF). More importantly, it is really fun and actually "puzzle"-like to find, orchestrate and execute 5-match after 5 match.

He isn't that bad, and personally I think it is because of his blue. When he gets it off on me I rage, and when I get it off on the enemy I cheer. It's a free AOE that is actually pretty strong. Pair him up with someone who uses blue (like beast) and shooting for Quicksilver's AOE isn't even a waste.

I'm not sure why all the hate for Sentry too. His yellow is phenomenal just a bit unsustainable and his red is the best AOE in the 3* tier but a little suicidal icon_e_wink.gif . Whatever, you still win. If you are looking to finish a battle and don't care about the damage you will inflict on yourself (the guantlet for example) he is your guy.
  • buck3
    buck3 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    I like Rags a lot.....pair him with DDoom or Beast along with Kamala Khan and its lights out! Sentry takes my vote. Every power inflicts damage either to himself or your entire team.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Dauthi wrote:
    I'm not sure why all the hate for Sentry too. His yellow is phenomenal just a bit unsustainable and his red is the best AOE in the 3* tier but a little suicidal icon_e_wink.gif . Whatever, you still win. If you are looking to finish a battle and don't care about the damage you will inflict on yourself (the guantlet for example) he is your guy.
    The problem is that his yellow creates just 1 powerful strike tile on a random spot, which is really easy to accidentally get destroyed. With the amount of health and AP it costs, it's not really worth it. I'd rather use Panther's yellow or Rocket's blue.

But yeah, he's not completely terrible, if you only care about winning and not health pack conservation, but since I think the whole point of using niche characters in pve is to conserve health packs, using characters that cause you to use more of them seem to defeat the whole point lol.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi wrote:
    The problem is that his yellow creates just 1 powerful strike tile on a random spot, which is really easy to accidentally get destroyed. With the amount of health and AP it costs, it's not really worth it. I'd rather use Panther's yellow or Rocket's blue.

But yeah, he's not completely terrible, if you only care about winning and not health pack conservation, but since I think the whole point of using niche characters in pve is to conserve health packs, using characters that cause you to use more of them seem to defeat the whole point lol.

Not at all. Eliminate all 3 matches of yellows on the board before dropping it and it will typically have a long life since it is a single strike tile. Unlike guys like R&G who have multiple medium strength tiles, all it takes is Sentry's one tile to get lodged somewhere untouchable and you will destroy the other team.

It's also important to realize when a character's offensive abilities are avoiding damage since you can't predict the future. If he drops his yellow you may save more health packs due to a quick kill then when the enemies who live instead pull off their abilities instead.