Yet Another Spidey (POLL)

Comments

• Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    The problem isn't that we kept getting spidey...the problem was we kept getting the WRONG spidey. Either in character or mechanics.

Now we got the right one we can stop with the spiders...

Except the mechanics are garbage tier for a 5*.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    The problem isn't that we kept getting spidey...the problem was we kept getting the WRONG spidey. Either in character or mechanics.

Now we got the right one we can stop with the spiders...

Except the mechanics are garbage tier for a 5*.

Standard 5* operating procedure. 2 actives and 1 passive. As long as they have a template to stick to it streamlines the creative process and allows character releases to happen at an accelerated time scale. This has a knock on effect that we can have fun playing with newer content, sorry characters faster. Everybody is happy icon_e_smile.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree, I really wanted Black Suit Spidey in the game, but the symbiote one. Not only the latter is cooler and more iconic of Marvel's history, it also represents a powering-up of Spidey suitable for the 5* tier. This one? Is just Peter Parker being angry. I guess they wanted to spare themselves the inevitable question "why I cannot play this Spider-Man along with Venom?"
  • Wow.
    A new 5*.
    Spider-Man.
    Oh yes, we have not enough.
    -.-

(voted for the last option)
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    rastafari7 wrote:
    I would rather see others : Goblin, Sabretooth, Gambit to name a few, think the demand is higher for them than another Spidey.

The one thing I would say on this, for every Marvel crazy person that plays this game, there's probably 10 like me who have no idea who Sabretooth or Gambit even are.

Your main cinematic characters are who the mainstream public knows, so it's not a really surprise that they focus more on known entities like Wolverine or Spider-Man.

Eh, I think you underestimate Classic Marvel fandom. But even if you're right, there are still a lot of cinematic and tv characters they need to add before a fifth Spiderman. Many also appealing to Classic comic fans.

Red Skull, Bucky/Winter Soldier, Whiplash, Mandarin, Yellowjacket, Coulson, Daisy Johnson, Lash, Lincoln Campbell, Mockingbird, Deathlok, Jessica Jones, Maliketh, Drax, Ronin, Thanos...
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    yeah, i'm kind of shocked actually that Bucky's not in the game yet.
  • firethorne
    ... Odin, Sif, Heimdall, Agent Carter, Purple Man, Iron Monger, Armin Zola, Maria Hill, Crossbones, The Collector, Howard the Duck
  • I'm also getting tired of these different variants of the same characters. At least lately they've been making their powers more unique from one another so it's not like the same character with more power and hit points (see Thor, Daken, Torch, etc.)

I think this game is sadly lacking in good quality villains. Some of the more interesting villains introduced to the game lately were Ultron and Galactus, but they weren't playable characters. I really hope they introduce Apocalypse as a tie-in to the next X-Men movie. Hopefully he'll be an actual character and not just another boss fight event.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Booooring.

I understand why do it, but I'm not a fan of it in the comics and not a fan of in the game.

In vast universe of thousands of characters, we have multiple duplicates. It's dull.
  • I would really love to see some more villains in the Game.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Where are the choices of "oh look, ANOTHER sausage, for the SAUSAGE PARTY" and "I dislike Spider characters, in general" at?
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Natsufan01 wrote:
    I am more annoyed that they made him a 5 star. How is his power going to compare to SS or Phoenix? (in the marvel universe, not in game). OML and black suit Spiderman don't compete, and should have been at a lower star level. Oh well. It's a popularity contest anyway.

Star levels have got nothing to do with the power levels of characters in the comic books. I don't know how people even get the idea that they are related. It starts at the 1star level: Do you think Hawkeye is anywhere near as powerful as Juggernaut/Venom/Iron Man? It's about game balance not comic book power icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I wanted black suit Spidey (even though i think he's yet another meh Spidey) and i'd rather pass on other duplicates. But yeah, getting the Goblin, Electro, Sandman etc would be much better. There should be more Variety and less duplicates.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:

Eh, I think you underestimate Classic Marvel fandom. But even if you're right, there are still a lot of cinematic and tv characters they need to add before a fifth Spiderman. Many also appealing to Classic comic fans.

Red Skull, Bucky/Winter Soldier, Whiplash, Mandarin, Yellowjacket, Coulson, Daisy Johnson, Lash, Lincoln Campbell, Mockingbird, Deathlok, Jessica Jones, Maliketh, Drax, Ronin, Thanos...

I understand there are Marvel fans. I read them here every day, I've seen the polls asking for not mainstream characters all the time. I also understand the game needs to appeal to that fan base as well, and based on the list of characters I never knew about, I think they've done an adequate job.

From a wide appeal marketing perspective though, Spider-Man is going to resonate many, many times farther than a character like Sabretooth.

In this list, Winter Soldier & Jessica Jones are the only ones that would remotely be considered a 'main' cinematic character right now, since they've got their own product.

For the rest, I'm convinced there's like a 30% chance you're making some of those names up.
  • firethorne

I understand there are Marvel fans. I read them here every day, I've seen the polls asking for not mainstream characters all the time. I also understand the game needs to appeal to that fan base as well, and based on the list of characters I never knew about, I think they've done an adequate job.

From a wide appeal marketing perspective though, Spider-Man is going to resonate many, many times farther than a character like Sabretooth.

In this list, Winter Soldier & Jessica Jones are the only ones that would remotely be considered a 'main' cinematic character right now, since they've got their own product.

For the rest, I'm convinced there's like a 30% chance you're making some of those names up.

Making them up? Wow. Do you watch Marvel movies?

Red Skull, main villain in Captain America 1
    Armin Zola, Red Skull's lead scientist who turns himself into a supercomputer in Winter Soldier
    Iron Monger, main villain in Iron Man
    Whiplash, main villain in Iron Man 2
    Mandarin, main villain in Iron Man 3
    Yellowjacket, main villain in Ant-Man
    Destroyer, main villain (aside from Loki) in Thor
    Maliketh, main villain in Thor 2

Coulson, head of SHIELD as in Agents of SHIELD, the prime time TV show, came back from the dead after Loki killed him in the movies
    Daisy Johnson, shield agent, inhuman, can make earthquakes
    Lincoln Campbell, shield agent, inhuman, shoots lightning
    Lash, inhuman badass
    Mockingbird, shield agent, Black Widowish style
    Deathlok, shield agent, cyborg

Ronin, main villain of Guardians of the Galaxy
    Drax, one of the freaking Guardians of the Galaxy!
    Thanos, if you think I've made up Thanos, I have no words left
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:

I don't, that's my point. I'm aware of them. I know who Iron Man / Spider-Man / The Avengers / Thor are. I'm aware Agents of Shield exists. And I said some of the names, I know that Drax and Thanos are real. I know 0% about either, but I know they exist.

None of those you listed though are mainstream names, even if they were in main stream movies. Again, I know it's blasphemous that I don't have intricate knowledge of these things, but I assure you I'm not alone in this game. Among the hardcore players I probably am, but that's fine.
  • firethorne
    firethorne wrote:

I don't, that's my point. I'm aware of them. I know who Iron Man / Spider-Man / The Avengers / Thor are. I'm aware Agents of Shield exists. And I said some of the names, I know that Drax and Thanos are real. I know 0% about either, but I know they exist.

None of those you listed though are mainstream names, even if they were in main stream movies. Again, I know it's blasphemous that I don't have intricate knowledge of these things, but I assure you I'm not alone in this game. Among the hardcore players I probably am, but that's fine.

I don't disagree that Spidey is recognizable, and should absolutely be in the game. But guess what, he is. Has been for a long time.

My argument is that perhaps even the people not as familiar with the lore might be better served if they widen their horizons rather than making a fifth Spidey.

Now, I'd still say the main villains of the Marvel cinematic universe and core characters of teams with their own movie like Drax are mainstream enough for a game called Marvel Puzzle Quest. They're easily more recognizable than existing choices like Sentry or The Hood.

But even if they aren't, it isn't a bad thing. Discovering new characters is part of the fun of comics. If they put in Drax, you might think, "I should watch that Guardians movie sometime," and find you really like it.

I didn't know a lot about inhumans before watching Shield. That interested me to go down that rabbit hole. Now Black Bolt, an inhuman who hasn't even been on the show, is one of my favorites, all because it put a new concept in front of me. The game can stand having more of that.
  • I would like to see 4* Malekith and 5* Odin or Gorr, Surtur!
    Bring more villains!!
  • firethorne wrote:
    Do you watch Marvel movies?

Mandarin, main villain in Iron Man 3

/quote]
    *fake mandarin!
  • Exactly, Black Bolt is a major character in the Marvel Universe, he's not in the game at all, he fits thematically in power with Surfer and Phoenix and he even fit the teaser clue. He should have been the next 5*!
    Instead we don't even get symbiote spider-man for 5* tier? It's just a big tiny kitty joke.
    If regular spider man throwin cars can be in the same tier as Surfer projecting cosmic energy beams from space then that opens the door to anyone in the entire Marvel Universe to be a 5*! How about 5* Aunt May who bakes your opponent some cupcakes for 10k damage, i mean why not?
    Maybe 5 years from now when were in 100* tier we can have The-One-Above-All get killed by Amoeba Wolverine(you know wolverine 20 billion years in the past when when he was still living in primordial ooze) wouldn't that be fun?