Yet Another Spidey (POLL)

Comments

• Natsufan01 wrote:
    I am more annoyed that they made him a 5 star. How is his power going to compare to SS or Phoenix? (in the marvel universe, not in game). OML and black suit Spiderman don't compete, and should have been at a lower star level. Oh well. It's a popularity contest anyway.

Once again: star rankings are NO indication of a character's power and skill level as displayed in the Marvel Comics.

Can someone please sticky this information somewhere? Or announce it whenever we open the app on our devices?

I don't give a tiny kitty what you say the tiers mean nor do I give a tiny kitty what demiurge says the tiers mean because the reality is when you play the game the tiers mean an increase in power over subsequent tiers.
    This causes gameplay on a mechanical level where Sentry casts supernova on Elektra and she survives.
    This is tiny kitty from a continuity perspective, its tiny kitty from a lore perspective and its tiny kitty from a realistic perspective because it makes absolutely no sense within any universe, fiction or non-fiction and that should annoy you.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    rastafari7 wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    I think it makes sense that they want all the iconic characters in the top tiers as well. I fully expect to see a 5* version of Captain America when his 75th anniversary comes up, and 5* Iron Man, Hulk and Thor down the road.

Personally I like black suit Spidey, and considering the versions of him that are already in the game, he was the best candidate for a 5* Spider-Man.

I rather see Red Skull, War Machine/Iron Patriot, Abomination, Odin then another Cap,IM,Hulk or Thor variation. icon_e_wink.gif

Sure, plenty of other characters that I'd love to see in the game as well (I've been rooting for Mysterio and Nightcrawler as additions since I started playing, for example), just saying that it makes sense to have a version of the big names in every tier.
    Enslaved wrote:
    Natsufan01 wrote:
    I am more annoyed that they made him a 5 star. How is his power going to compare to SS or Phoenix? (in the marvel universe, not in game). OML and black suit Spiderman don't compete, and should have been at a lower star level. Oh well. It's a popularity contest anyway.

Once again: star rankings are NO indication of a character's power and skill level as displayed in the Marvel Comics.

Can someone please sticky this information somewhere? Or announce it whenever we open the app on our devices?

I don't give a tiny kitty what you say the tiers mean nor do I give a tiny kitty what demiurge says the tiers mean because the reality is when you play the game the tiers mean an increase in power over subsequent tiers.
    This causes gameplay on a mechanical level where Sentry casts supernova on Elektra and she survives.
    This is tiny kitty from a continuity perspective, its tiny kitty from a lore perspective and its tiny kitty from a realistic perspective because it makes absolutely no sense within any universe, fiction or non-fiction and that should annoy you.

Just take a deep breath and remind yourself that it's only fictional characters in a match-3 game. Not remotely something that's worth writing angry rants over.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2016
    Please add a "stop with the tinykitty 5*s" option...

Mod Edit: No skirting the language filter please!

Seriously? one letter followed by "ing" is considered profanity?
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they've been a little inconsistent with who deserves the 5* rating.

Phoenix - Yes all day long
    Surfer - COSMIC POWER
    OML - Uhh... not dying and bleeding? Pretty sure Phoenix or Surfer could just disintegrate him (not worthy)
    **** Spidey - Uhh.. Nope... OML would slice his head off.

They need to stick to the power houses for 5's.

Thanos
    Franklin Richards
    God Doom (if they wanted to be relevant)
    Black Bolt

(Now that I think about it, there are a lot more baddies with giant powers. Makes sense. What else is going to make the heroes band together to fight an epic battle in a mini-series that stratifies most Marvel titles?)
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    pheregas wrote:

Surfer - COSMIC POWER
    OML - Uhh... not dying and bleeding? Pretty sure Phoenix or Surfer could just disintegrate him (not worthy)

They need to stick to the power houses for 5's.

Thanos
    Franklin Richards
    God Doom (if they wanted to be relevant)
    Black Bolt

(Now that I think about it, there are a lot more baddies with giant powers. Makes sense. What else is going to make the heroes band together to fight an epic battle in a mini-series that stratifies most Marvel titles?)

And it's not even the symbiote suit. It's just regular Peter going dark and edgy. Well, the symbiote suit Spider-Man would be worse because it would block you from using three other Spider-Man and also from using either Venom.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    In all honesty, I felt this was a missed opportunity in the marketing department.

Miles, Venom, 5* Spidey, new Spider-man PvE...The fact that they did absolutely nothing to build fanfare around it is a bit unsettling. I think people would be less irritated if the development team would be more open with their plans but then again they might have their hands tied contractually since I also know that other marvel games have been pushing out Spider-man characters rather recently.

Still, if this was supposed to "Spidey month", it would have been much cooler to have announced it as such.

As for the tier issue, I totally understand the frustration but unfortunately the devs have counter-intuitive ideas regarding power levels and comic lore. The tiers are supposed to represent rarity but that's only half true. They also function under a power logic scheme that sees increases in match damage and HP, as well as ability power level to some degree. And then of course you have outliers like Bag-man and Devil Dinosaur.

Why they chose to go this route is beyond me but I will go on record as stating that I do find it rather absurd that the old man version of Wolverine stands head and shoulders above Silver Surfer and Phoenix. It only re-affirms my suspicions that there is a Wolvie fanboy in an important position on the development team. But what can you do? MPQ is gonna MPQ.

But to their credit, I do like that 5* Spidey seems to be tailored made to take down OML in a one-on-one battle, not easily mind you, but there's that icon_razz.gif

Edit to add:
    pheregas wrote:

Surfer - COSMIC POWER

I see someone doesn't know their history of battles between Spider-man and Wolverine. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am just disappointed that we haven't gotten any new Black Widows.
  • pheregas
    I see someone doesn't know their history of battles between Spider-man and Wolverine. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh... I'm aware of the lore... icon_e_smile.gif

I just don't think OML (remember, he's not the Wolvie from the lore) would hesitate for one second to take down any version of Spidey, much like OML took out all the Hulks at once.

It's like the Superman/Batman debate. Yeah, Bats keeps holding his own, or winning, but if push came to shove, and Supes really meant business? He'd level the city from space. ::Boom::
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    pheregas wrote:

I just don't think OML (remember, he's not the Wolvie from the lore) would hesitate for one second to take down any version of Spidey, much like OML took out all the Hulks at once.

It's like the Superman/Batman debate. Yeah, Bats keeps holding his own, or winning, but if push came to shove, and Supes really meant business? He'd level the city from space. ::Boom::

OML as he's being written now would be SUPER hesitant to come anywhere near killing Spider-character that he thinks is heroic, just saying icon_e_smile.gif
  • rastafari7
    rastafari7 Posts: 75 Match Maker
    I always wonder is the people who complain about dupes and variants have actually read any comic books.

I am a huge Spidey and X-Men fan, but as I said before there are more characters in those comics than only Spidey and Wolverine.
    Because of reading comics and watching those cartoons I want more variation in the characters.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    pheregas wrote:

lol You mean the version of Wolverine that has sworn off violence and has no established reason for actually attacking Spider-man?

And you are aware that Spider-man is stronger, faster and has a thing called Spider-sense that would make it almost nigh impossible for Wolverine to actually ever get a hit on Spidey? If you really want to go into that debate, I would be more than happy to oblige you but we probably shouldn't do it here. If you or any of the faithful from the Church of Wolverine start a Spidey vs Wolvie thread in the Character Speculation sub-forum, rest assured I will be there. Just don't say I didn't warn you that comic lore is not on your side icon_twisted.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen, pardon the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled poll discussion.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    And now we have 3 more decades of dupes, alts and dramatic costume changes piled on top of the 5 decades worth that existed at that time.

FEBRUARY NEW 4* CHARACTER SNEAK PEEK:

1227102-438562182_af579141c3.jpg

icon_e_sad.gificon_mad.gif
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    And now we have 3 more decades of dupes, alts and dramatic costume changes piled on top of the 5 decades worth that existed at that time.

I wouldn't mind seeing Daredevil The Beast version icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards

Not until Punisher 2099 is in the game.. k,thanks.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is the 5* Spiderman I would have imagined... both rare and powerful.

latest?cb=20140620155355
  • pheregas
    pheregas wrote:

lol You mean the version of Wolverine that has sworn off violence and has no established reason for actually attacking Spider-man?

And you are aware that Spider-man is stronger, faster and has a thing called Spider-sense that would make it almost nigh impossible for Wolverine to actually ever get a hit on Spidey? If you really want to go into that debate, I would be more than happy to oblige you but we probably shouldn't do it here. If you or any of the faithful from the Church of Wolverine start a Spidey vs Wolvie thread in the Character Speculation sub-forum, rest assured I will be there. Just don't say I didn't warn you that comic lore is not on your side icon_twisted.gif

Ladies and Gentlemen, pardon the interruption, now back to your regularly scheduled poll discussion.

Hah! Fan fiction fighting!

The ironic thing here is that I am a huge Spider-Man/Peter Parker fan. Wolvie doesn't do much for me. In fact, I boycotted Miles Morales simply because I was so sad about the fate of Ultimate Peter Parker. I hear his run has been pretty good, though... Gotta think about getting some trades from the library...
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    What drew me to this game was the Marvel License, the hope of seeing my favorite characters in game at some point: characters like Adam Warlock, Thanos, Silver Surfer, Annihilus, Quasar plus many others

I love all the characters we've gotten so far, it's cool seeing a character we havent seen before, what I find annoying is the constant rehashing of these same ol characters with a different coat of paint

Marvel has a whole UNiVERSE of characters but the current trend is to focus on heroes located on the tiny island of Manhattan

I get it Marvel loves them some Spiderman, Hulk, Thors, Widows, Captain Americas, Ms Marvels, but c'mon, they call themselves the House of Ideas but when it comes to licensing their characters the ideas stop at those listed above

Am not blaming D3Go nor Demiurge, the blame lies on the Marvel end.

If anything, our dissatisfaction with the rehashing should be sent to the Marvel people, someone like Bill Rosemann, Creative Director for Marvel games, he's always active on twitter
  • I want Hyperion. He could be the spiritual 4 or 5* Sentry. After seeing what he did in the new Squadron Supreme series... dude's a legit power player in the new Marvel U.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem isn't that we kept getting spidey...the problem was we kept getting the WRONG spidey. Either in character or mechanics.

Now we got the right one we can stop with the spiders...
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Berserk Al wrote:
    And it's not even the symbiote suit. It's just regular Peter going dark and edgy. Well, the symbiote suit Spider-Man would be worse because it would block you from using three other Spider-Man and also from using either Venom.

Do you remember the last time they tried going dark and edgy with Peter Parker. We got that abortion of a movie called Spider-man 3 and emo Parker. They said, let's throw Sandman, Harry Goblin, Eddie Venom, some weird stuff with his landlord's daughter, Gwen Stacy, MJ, Aunt May, and the Daily Planet into a blender and pour whatever comes out into a movie script.