*** Black Panther (T'Challa) ***

191012141534

Comments

  • Do you think they purposely OP new chars just to make money? Yes they get some fallout when they eventually nerf but i doubt the amount that quit outweighs the amount of money thye gain.
  • NorthernPolarityNorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Madjam wrote:
    Do you think they purposely OP new chars just to make money? Yes they get some fallout when they eventually nerf but i doubt the amount that quit outweighs the amount of money thye gain.

    I think you need to compare the amount of people that would buy into a good character versus the amount of people that would buy into an OP character. While they would probably get some more money, I doubt it would be enough to be worth people branding the company as a greedy money-grabbing machine, which Demiurge hasn't really been. BP's other abilities indicate more that he was poorly tuned (yellow being worse when you have 15-29 env tiles and blue level 1->2 not doing anything) and rushed as opposed to deliberately being OP, so I don't think that that's the case here.
  • Madjam wrote:
    Do you think they purposely OP new chars just to make money? Yes they get some fallout when they eventually nerf but i doubt the amount that quit outweighs the amount of money thye gain.

    I think you need to compare the amount of people that would buy into a good character versus the amount of people that would buy into an OP character. While they would probably get some more money, I doubt it would be enough to be worth people branding the company as a greedy money-grabbing machine, which Demiurge hasn't really been. BP's other abilities indicate more that he was poorly tuned (yellow being worse when you have 15-29 env tiles and blue level 1->2 not doing anything) and rushed as opposed to deliberately being OP, so I don't think that that's the case here.

    Ok, i dont think its purposely done but its not exactly prevented. Even without full known stats forum people worked out that the damage would be OP. The devs would have got to play with it, seen that it did too much damage and should have changed it accordingly before release. To me, putting out chars that always need to be nerfed/buffed in some way is not going to make people want to buy covers/spend hp. I like BP, its a nice looking character with useful skills but im not gonna buy covers until i know whether its stats are right or not.
  • Madjam wrote:
    Do you think they purposely OP new chars just to make money? Yes they get some fallout when they eventually nerf but i doubt the amount that quit outweighs the amount of money thye gain.

    I think it's highly possible. This is common practice in many F2P games, even League of Legends. Any rational person can realize this skill is overpowered from just a glance, and I'm not going to buy it if they say the scaling is bugged. All they had to do was make a single lv141 BP on their test server to see how much damage he does. Same story with Patch, but they claimed they didn't notice the problem, and let us play with an overpowered character for a week. It just doesn't feel right.
  • Am I the only one who likes 3/5/5 better?
  • I wouldn't expect a Black Panther nerf any time soon. It's bad business practice to get everyone excited about winning a new character just to weaken him soon after. I know from some of Ice's posts that they do care about the financial aspect of the game which is really founded on player trust.
  • My black panther is just lvl 69 and does a 3250 damage to the whole team. Most lvl 69 characters don't have that kind of health. Currently 1/1/5.
  • kensterrkensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Microtom wrote:
    My black panther is just lvl 69 and does a 3250 damage to the whole team. Most lvl 69 characters don't have that kind of health. Currently 1/1/5.
    Wow! Makes me wanna click the buy button on Stark Salary
  • Microtom wrote:
    Am I the only one who likes 3/5/5 better?

    I'll probably be going 3/5/5 or 4/4/5, honestly any new blue skill decisions for me are going to come down to how Spidey is made more fun.
  • kensterr wrote:
    Microtom wrote:
    My black panther is just lvl 69 and does a 3250 damage to the whole team. Most lvl 69 characters don't have that kind of health. Currently 1/1/5.
    Wow! Makes me wanna click the buy button on Stark Salary

    Same here. Can't help but think that the enjoyment I'd get out of using him before they nerf him would be worth it. I still think he'll be a very powerful character, even if they drop the damage or up the AP cost. His high health alone would make him very useful.
  • I'm amazed they haven't at least pushed out a patch yet that fixes his broken skills (and I mean legitimately broken, not imbalanced like his black). The blue doesn't seem to change between ranks 1 and 2, and the yellow says (1 tile minimum), and as such, there is zero difference in using it between having 0 environmental AP and 29. Should be 1 plus an additional 1 for every 15, or maybe 1/1/1/2/3 (among the 5 ranks) plus 1 per 15 to encourage people to level it out beyond the minimum (at max level) rank.
  • I think 4/4/5 vs 3/5/5 comes down to preference. I don't think either one is notably better. 4/4/5 minmax's dmg on black, which is his main goal, but I think lvl5 blue is the better standalone skill.
  • akboyceakboyce Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I'm amazed they haven't at least pushed out a patch yet that fixes his broken skills (and I mean legitimately broken, not imbalanced like his black). The blue doesn't seem to change between ranks 1 and 2, and the yellow says (1 tile minimum), and as such, there is zero difference in using it between having 0 environmental AP and 29. Should be 1 plus an additional 1 for every 15, or maybe 1/1/1/2/3 (among the 5 ranks) plus 1 per 15 to encourage people to level it out beyond the minimum (at max level) rank.

    Yea I can not think of any other character that was this unpolished at launch. Totally ignoring any and all balance issues he may or may not have his abilities are just buggy. Testing not finding balance issues is one thing but two glaring problems that can be spotted JUST from reading their text descriptions points to a rush job.
  • Hah so not only is he grossly overpowered, but now he is buffed in the new event.

    Smart move, people will definitely purchase
  • akboyce wrote:
    Yea I can not think of any other character that was this unpolished at launch. Totally ignoring any and all balance issues he may or may not have his abilities are just buggy. Testing not finding balance issues is one thing but two glaring problems that can be spotted JUST from reading their text descriptions points to a rush job.

    Have you seen the new Thor?
  • I wouldn't expect a Black Panther nerf any time soon. It's bad business practice to get everyone excited about winning a new character just to weaken him soon after. I know from some of Ice's posts that they do care about the financial aspect of the game which is really founded on player trust.
    They do care about financials, that goes without saying. Player trust, jury's still out
  • If you assume that Spiderman and Magneto both will have their blue nerfed then 3/5/5 is a no brainer.

    In the current game you might even want 5/3/5 just because there's literally no reason to use any blue ability that isn't ATU or Magnetic Field, and if you can max out Black Panther I'm going to assume you at least have access to ATU.
  • Celerity wrote:
    Madjam wrote:
    Do you think they purposely OP new chars just to make money? Yes they get some fallout when they eventually nerf but i doubt the amount that quit outweighs the amount of money thye gain.

    I think it's highly possible. This is common practice in many F2P games, even League of Legends. Any rational person can realize this skill is overpowered from just a glance, and I'm not going to buy it if they say the scaling is bugged. All they had to do was make a single lv141 BP on their test server to see how much damage he does. Same story with Patch, but they claimed they didn't notice the problem, and let us play with an overpowered character for a week. It just doesn't feel right.

    I don't think it's done on purpose. It's more like they just don't think too much about releasing a potentially overpowered character because it's mostly upside to the developer. As long as the character is not outrageously overpowered they can always claim it was Joe the Intern who screwed up the character balance. I have a feeling that designers are paid for their brain, not for playing in the game. If I'm supposed to be the main designer of MPQ, I'm supposed to be paid due to my infinite wisdom of the state of the game, and my infinite wisdom I have determined Black Panther is totally balanced. Now if I actually played with him I'd realize my infinite wisdom isn't as infinite as I first thought, but playing the game is for the QA grunts, not for a guy hired for his infinite wisdom!
  • NemekNemek Posts: 1,511
    Looks like the nerf is in!
    Character
    Black Panther

    Rage of the Panther - Lowered damage by 20% across all levels
    Defense Grid - Fixed a bug where Level 2 would not reliably allow three Protect tiles to be placed.
  • NorthernPolarityNorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nemek wrote:
    Looks like the nerf is in!
    Character
    Black Panther

    Rage of the Panther - Lowered damage by 20% across all levels
    Defense Grid - Fixed a bug where Level 2 would not reliably allow three Protect tiles to be placed.

    So maxed out level 5 black should do ~3.2k damage now, which is still pretty good for its cost. I'm surprised that they didn't address yellow/blues issues though.
Sign In or Register to comment.