The Simulator Event

Options
13»

Comments

• The first post pretty much tells all I think.

The event started really badly but improved as we proceeded. I'm not sure why, maybe the levels were not that steep, maybe the featured hero got better fit, I played with 1-cover loki, 2-cover mags, 3-cover doom (did really great), and 9 cover Hulk (nuff said icon_e_smile.gif It's a great idea to rotate the character for each sub.

I really enjoyed playing with CStorm -- leveled her from 6 to 35 then 41. And even dumped some iso into Daken for the last part. They worked really well. Captain didn't make it again, he really should be put out of misery or actually improved.

I really liked the opponents and lock-out they meant, needed to think up good counters.

Did not like the same list as others. On top with pushing the lvl30 rosters -- in the very last sub I actually made #1 in the normal -- won the battles with just a couple wipeouts but needed quite evolved things -- the rosters in top10 would go down in 20 seconds to my opponents. So they must have fought waaay easier battles plus probably got more points too.
    This slanting the field and rubberbanding is over the top and should be banished.

Got 2 covers of Psylocke, placing like 11 or 12. Well skipping most of the 1st round has its price. I'm happy with that and the zillion tokens and the yellow Patch I really needed as 5th. The rest was way unreachable.

Replacing the 5K ISO with less is kinda low. And getting a reward, then 4 immediate repeats all providing 20 ISO? Come on really. In the last round I did a full harvest 3 times, 15 battles on a node still can;t recover 4 prizes 70% of cases? Give me a tinikitty break.

Got a plenty of iso compared to last few weeks but feels much less than in hunt or hulk.
  • locked wrote:
    Venom + Spidey one shot is not an exploit, people were using it since the beginning of time, but yes, 21k enemies really do call for 1 shot abilities.

I can still remember the old venom team eat icon_razz.gif
  • Good:

1) Two tiers of competition - Normal and Hard
    2) 12 hour resets
    3) Generous ISO
    4) Diverse fights, forcing us to use different comps

Bad:

1) Too long, 5 days would have been fine
    2) Normal ramped up to lvl 230, becoming essentially Hard without the rewards

Overall, an improvement over the last two tournaments, still not as good imo as Hulk or Ares tournaments.

I ended up finishing 2nd in the main bracket behind Brady28, quite easily I might add, which probably was the way it should be, we had the two best rosters of the top 10 that I could tell, and we both obviously put the time in. It was nice being able to do it semi-casually without having to worry about rubber-banding and people catching up at the last minute. I could have skipped the last day entirely and still finished 2nd.

I finished 1st in every single hard sub-bracket, again by grinding the high-point nodes. Initially I was concerned because on the first day I would be in 20th-30th place, but I noticed as time went on the smurf rosters could no longer compete and I was able to catch up and eventually surpass them, which is probably as it should be given the rosters.

The first normal sub-bracket I finished 1st, all the subsequent ones I finished only top 50, mainly because the mobs became lvl 230s for me, and it wasn't worth the time and effort to grind it out just for a few more heroic tokens. I'm a lttle torn about this. I can see this being good for the game overall, because since this was the "easy" bracket, it makes sense that I should step aside and let the smaller rosters get a chance at bigger rewards, which I think is good. However, because the rewards for the normal and hard brackets were exactly the same, I can still see an argument for me to try to place well in the normal bracket. Imo, what should happen is the normal bracket should cap at a lower level than the hard bracket, maybe like lvl 150 mobs or something like that.

More importantly, the rewards for the normal and hard brackets should not be identical. If the idea is that people with more advanced rosters should want to compete in the hard bracket, while beginners should compete in the normal bracket, then the rewards should match the players. The hard bracket reward should be something more substantial, like higher ISO since we are levelling higher level toons, and/or better tokens, maybe the top token being a guaranteed 3* like Diabolical tokens are. The normal bracket reward should be something beginners would want more, and that advanced players would not want, therefore making it so advanced players would not necessarily want to compete with beginners for their rewards. Maybe something like the top brackets winning 4 Thor and Wolverine covers, something beginners would love and experts would not.
  • The scaling isn't quite as bad as it seems. I initially thought that people would be locked out if they started late. I started playing MPG on steam and switched over to the mobile, so my mobile rooster is far more advanced. When I'd had my fill of the first set of subs, I checked out my Steam account to see how bad the levels were, and for my lower level team they were quite achievable. They'd gone up a little, even without me entering a bracket, but I've been able to clear all the normal modes on Steam, and Heroics on my main. The levels creeping up while you're not playing does rub the wrong way, but the scaling does seem to be pretty well calibrated to provide a reasonable challenge, my my experience.

You really need to have good access to the boosted characters to do well though, I think people may be underestimating how useful/necessary they are to do well. After a few playthroughs I ended up sitting out a 90 patch for a 25 Storm.

The main thing I'd like to see changed is to create a disincentive for doing both normal and heroic modes. Picking one could lock out the other, which would probably be easy to implement but aggravate a lot of players. A better but more technically challenging solution would be to make normal and heroic mode share a point pool. IE if you grind on heroic, normal will no longer have any points left until reset.
  • Good:
    - Enemy diversity; forcing you to use different lineups and strategies to be effective
    - Not having to min/max your way to rewards

Bad:
    - Levels not resetting in-between subs; mass scaling to 230 too quickly
    - Coming out of a 15-minute battle and seeing 20 ISO repeatedly, losing all motivation to continue grinding