The Simulator Event

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Now that The Sim is nearly over, what did you make of it? Leave your good and bad comments down below if you like. I have a bit to say about this event. Short answer is, it was good but could have been alot better. Some of the pro's i liked are:
1- Iso rewards the 1st and 2nd playthroughs were great
2- Ranking rewards were good for the most part
3- Tokens seemed to have more variety( got DD in 2 of them)
4- Some of the missions were really good
5- Umm that's it

Now some of the problems were:
1- Iso rewards after the initial playthrough were bad, 20 iso for defeating level 100's and 230's is just plain wrong
2- Scaling is horrendous. Fair enough scale the enemies in hard mode but not in normal mode. The name kind of gives it away. Some people couldnt even finish normal mode.
3- Rubberbanding. STOP IT. I dont know how many times i have been leading the brackets, maximizing points, for someone to come out of nowhere and be raking up points like they are going out of fashion. Very annoying.
4- Bad rosters. It is very depressing when people with horrible horrible rosters are able to beat you in points cause you make the game so much easier for them. I can count on one hand the amount of people with decent rosters in the top 10 in the WHOLE tournament. The high ranking players do well, the guys with **** rosters do well but yet the people with mid-level teams struggle and really have to fight to place well. No thanks. That is my main problem with this tournament. Why couldnt you just have an EASY MODE for those instead of holding there hands and letting them jump before they even learn how to crawl? Not fair on people who play for months to build a good team to be destroyed by a level 28 Daken.
5- It was too long. 10 days is alot. There is only so much grinding you can do before the numbness sets in. 6 days maybe 7 if you wanna make it a full week is good but 10 is pushing it.
6- Rewards problem. People still not with their rewards, from the first and second rounds.

There is probably alot more to think of but thats where you lot come in. To summarize, it was great at first but began to fade after day 6. I give it a B-

icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• This was the best event they've had in a long time.
  • jozier wrote:
    This was the best event they've had in a long time.

Yep i agree with that, but that's not saying alot lol it was fun but dragged on too long for myself and others. really needed to invest alot of time into it to do well. But still was the most fun i had in awhile with this game and thats a positive
  • I thought this event was great but I agree that there are way too many 1* teams at the top of the pile. I was most of the way through the Prologue when I tried my first Heroic event (Venom?). I was able to complete two, maybe three, missions. I was okay with that! It told me that, when I had a stronger roster, I would be able to play more of the missions and be more competitive. The current environment of new players topping the leaderboards is ****.
  • I had a lot of fun until the very end. It probably ran a few days too long.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    3 rounds would have been better than 4.

Mid third round seemed to be the burn out point based on my top ten. Had the tournament been ending, I think the end would have been more intense.

Less mercifully ending.
  • Basically the same impression as stated in the OP

At least 3 days too long for my taste. I was already burning out during Phase 3, especially since there is no story to keep track of as well. It's just random fights without any real connection (well ok, it is a simulator). Scaling still not working properly, at least I hope it doesn't. It's pretty disheartening seeing your bracket being dominated by players that have a considerably weaker roster than yourself.

Also still sad they didn't give out 5000 ISO for the last Phase 2/3/4 mission anymore. Didn't even bother doing those anymore towards the end.

Apart from that, it was still good. Not perfect, but good and a step in the right direction.
  • One feature of this event I've really liked is using the idea that it's a simulator to present mixed-up enemy rosters when compared to the other PvE. That maybe faded a little over slightly too many rounds.

Scaling not as bad as before, but I still don't think community scaling works -- that's even though, playing on UK time, I got in at the starts of rounds.
  • A nice event but as you all already said, really too long. I basically stopped playing after getting Patch at 50k points, only doing the minimum effort to remain in the 101-250 rank at the end.
  • I think the OP got the scaling part. I actually think the scaling worked out very well for the most part.
    The basic simulator should cap with hardest 2 missions at lvls 195/195/195 - 175/175/175- and no other missions ever going over 155/155/155.

Hard could use some very minor tweaking but it's pretty good.

I think if each individual sub event had been 12 hours short, it would have fixed the overall length, scaling would probably fall right into balance if speed from start remained the same.

Overall, I would prolly say 8.0/10
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have a very different experience. I just came back to MPQ after a three week layoff because I hated facing more lvl 230 goons in Oscorp.
    I saw the simulator and started about 26 hours ago.
    I was able to do two full clears of both Easy and Hard and am sitting first in my main and first in both subs with nothing left to get. When the clock strikes 0's I'll see what I get.
    As a day and a half event this was just the right amount of time. If I had done this for eight(?) days I probably would quit again for good.
    I did have to laugh though when I went to look at The Hard Simulator and what was I faced with, lvl 230 goons.
    Easy started in the high 100's and after two passes I think I was at >lvl200 across the board.
    I really enjoyed the forced variety of the teams necessary to succeed quickly. If you wanted to win quickly you had to choose the best team for each simulator. Whoever figured out the Venom exploit for taking down lvl 230 Hulk and Devil Dino thank you it turned those missions into cake.
    In this run I used 15 of my 33 heroes and Spidey was only used in four of the sims the rest of them didn't need him and OBW served to heal and save health packs so I could keep going. Whatever the eventual nerf is to Spidey, OBW has become a star in this tournament for me and I will be using her more.
    I am looking at the rosters on my pursuers in this very late forming bracket and there seems to be a lot of rosters that shouldn't be able to handle some of these missions if they've scaled to lvl230 for them. Which makes me think their scaling is more like lvl130.
    I'm not sure if I prefer rubberbanding or dynamic scaling to keep the lower levels competitive. D3/Demiurge clearly want to have a situation where any player can have success in the big PvE events. With a high level roster I am at the extreme end and the missions were difficult but fairly straightforward. I feel for those in the middle this had to be a real exercise in optimizing healthpacks and pushes and characters and leveling up some characters.
    I do think it is ridiculous that I can enter almost at the final moment and get the big prize of the three new covers. There should be an advantage for those who played for the entire tournament other than the iso generated.
  • I do think it is ridiculous that I can enter almost at the final moment and get the big prize of the three new covers. There should be an advantage for those who played for the entire tournament other than the iso generated.

You were most likely bracketed with people who did the same thing. So, it's not like you are icing out people who started this event on Day 2.

Considering how tight this game is with ISO, it's a pretty big advantage/draw to play the event every day.

Also, winning three, three-star covers isn't that great. You have to expend HP to make a space for them (or delete someone else) and they sit on your bench until you can get 4-6 more covers for them to bring them up to mid-level in a useable form.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    I was happy with this event. I appreciated the mix and match of hero and villian nodes and heros with maggia/hammer nodes. This also taught me that I can hold my own with my unbuffed team of Patch, Hulk (only during the first three subs he wasn't buffed) and OBW against 3 star teams of SIM 03.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    This was a fun event, but it still had its problems.

I agree with the OP on pros of this event, but as we are winding down I am almost tired of playing it. I'm just trying to keep my top 10 ranking to get the three Psylocke covers. A fourth Round was a little much, I've played much less in the past 24 hours...the repetitiveness has started to wear on me.

The initial ISO awards were great, but I was bamboozled...I figured we would continue to get those amounts for the remaining rounds, but, not so much.

I've had to stop playing the Simulator as it has the same difficulty as the Hard Simulator by Round 2. It became pointless to play as the point payout lacked any incentive...I've completed a few of them to try and collect the 500 ISO. Other than that, the "easy" Simulator became completely pointless.

And lastly, seeing this Gapsule fella at the top of my bracket with 258K and their highest character being a level 69 Daken makes no sense. I haven't seen any ISO put into any character during this event. That's just all around odd to me.

Thankfully this event is almost over and I can go watch Team USA send Canada to the Bronze Medal Game.

GO USA!!!
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Good:

[*] The idea of having hard mode and easy mode
    [*] Lots of different rewards for different kinds of progression
    [*] Requiring varied heros

Bad

[*] The fact that the easy mode had the same level cap as the hard mode but less points/shields
    [*] The fact that the difficulty shot up on the maps SO FAST after they launched - I did a PvHeros map on the hard mode that required/supplied Iron Man 40, but by the time I went to do it on the easy mode, the levels were higher than in the hard mode and I couldn't do it :/

Suggestions:

[*] Lock levels for everyone's first clear of each map - THEN do community scaling. If your map resets at midnight, I shouldn't be punished for wanting to play it the next morning instead of at ungodly hours of the night
  • The event was better than the last two but still not optimal. Hulk event is still my favorite so far.

The scaling system is still plain broken, there's so many things wrong with it:

-Normal was pretty much the same difficulty like hard for me, just half the points.
    -The sense of accomplishment is pretty much non existent anymore, without the occasional lvl 20 goon fight that you can completely destroy, you don't feel you're gaining power.
    -Why did I collect and level heroes for 4 months if I can have an easier time beating everything on my smurf account with 3 one stars?
    -No breathing room, grinding gets so much more tedious when every single fight can wipe you. At least I would like some relaxing fight in between where you can just match stuff and regain some concentration for the hard fights.
    -(not event specific but amplified by scaling) 20 ISO after a 10 min fight vs 230th is just so frustrating, if you would at least get the 4 normal rewards before getting 20 ISO streaks...
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Toxicadam wrote:
    I do think it is ridiculous that I can enter almost at the final moment and get the big prize of the three new covers. There should be an advantage for those who played for the entire tournament other than the iso generated.

You were most likely bracketed with people who did the same thing. So, it's not like you are icing out people who started this event on Day 2.

Considering how tight this game is with ISO, it's a pretty big advantage/draw to play the event every day.

Also, winning three, three-star covers isn't that great. You have to expend HP to make a space for them (or delete someone else) and they sit on your bench until you can get 4-6 more covers for them to bring them up to mid-level in a useable form.

I'm not feeling bad for the people in my bracket I'm feeling bad for the player who has been grinding away to end up in 11th or 51st or 76th and wants Psylocke. If this was an iso source for a player then you're absolutely right those who entered earlier got rewarded.
    For me I still have a sizable iso pool and cover slots available. Getting all three covers means I can take the remaining HP I have and level her to 3/3/3 and then see if she is any good and then win the remaining covers in the next few PvP tournaments.
  • jozier wrote:

Yep i agree with that, but that's not saying alot lol it was fun but dragged on too long for myself and others. really needed to invest alot of time into it to do well. But still was the most fun i had in awhile with this game and thats a positive

This has been the least amount of time I've invested into a PVE event and I am currently 3rd in my main bracket.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Good:

- Big ISO one-time rewards
    - Enemy compositions, variety of the buffed hero roster

Bad:

- Scaling **** gets more and more broken, stop this ffs
  • jozier wrote:
    jozier wrote:

This has been the least amount of time I've invested into a PVE event and I am currently 3rd in my main bracket.

Yup. I got 1st in the 2nd red ISO to win IW at her release. I've been holding 1-2 this whole tourney. I've been plenty high up in others inbetween. This 1 didn't take 1/2 as much time as the red ISO tourney.
  • jozier wrote:
    jozier wrote:

yep but what level player are you??? noob, mid or high? icon_e_smile.gif

noobs have it way too easy
    mids have to fight for every last point and still be beating by noobs
    highs have to work hard but get much larger points in hard mode to get the new covers