The Simulator Event

Options

Comments

• jozier wrote:
    This was the best event they've had in a long time.
    Agree, but level/points mechanics aren't any better than before. What made it great was the variety in missions and rotating buffs.
  • I'm not feeling bad for the people in my bracket I'm feeling bad for the player who has been grinding away to end up in 11th or 51st or 76th and wants Psylocke. If this was an iso source for a player then you're absolutely right those who entered earlier got rewarded.

The solution to that is going back to the Hulk method (No main bracket, 3* goes to top 300/5000/10,000), which I think would be a good idea. There's a reason that's generally held out as the best event; if you put time into it you'd get something, there was a lot of variety, and it scaled well with skill level.
  • I agree that this event was fun but my main issue is that it ran a bit too long. I also like that they put a spin on each restart having a different buffed toon for each one. A few prolems I had which others have echoed is that Normal mode should never be equal to hard mode and that the scaling to max level was much much much too fast - perhaps this should reset every sub category and ramp up again through the 3rd and 4th clears. There should be a cap limit on normal, perhaps 150 or something to differentiate between the two. Otherwise good improvement over the last one.
  • jozier wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Yep i agree with that, but that's not saying alot lol it was fun but dragged on too long for myself and others. really needed to invest alot of time into it to do well. But still was the most fun i had in awhile with this game and thats a positive

This has been the least amount of time I've invested into a PVE event and I am currently 3rd in my main bracket.

yep but what level player are you??? noob, mid or high? icon_e_smile.gif

noobs have it way too easy
    mids have to fight for every last point and still be beating by noobs
    highs have to work hard but get much larger points in hard mode to get the new covers

Haven't seen Jozier's team in a while but I'd say he is a somewhere between mid and high. Definitely not someone who just coasted because of a low level team. For reference he was a top 10 finisher in the first(?) Hulk event.
  • jozier wrote:
    jozier wrote:

Yep i agree with that, but that's not saying alot lol it was fun but dragged on too long for myself and others. really needed to invest alot of time into it to do well. But still was the most fun i had in awhile with this game and thats a positive

This has been the least amount of time I've invested into a PVE event and I am currently 3rd in my main bracket.

yep but what level player are you??? noob, mid or high? icon_e_smile.gif

noobs have it way too easy
    mids have to fight for every last point and still be beating by noobs
    highs have to work hard but get much larger points in hard mode to get the new covers

All of my missions have been full 230's for the entire event, save for a few in the easy simulator, and I still won my bracket with MUCH less time invested than previous events. I basically just played when I wanted. Compared to the Ares event where I barely made #2 by grinding at scheduled times and setting my alarm to wake up just so I wouldn't miss stacks, this was maybe 1/4 of the effort. It's been amazing.
  • I liked this event more than ToT and Oscorp, which was easy because I hated those and mostly didn't play them at all. Still didn't enjoy it as much as the Hulk event for example (the one I liked most so far).

Because I did happen to have a life outside MPQ last weekend, I mostly lost one round of the event, so I lost all chances into getting Psylocke (will be lucky to end in the top 100 for my main bracket). So I agree it did last a bit too long. In case you are preparing to reply to me saying that I could have ended high enough for Psylocke, although I can play a fair amount of MPQ, I can't play the amount that would've allowed me to climb back those three days I lost over the weekend (if this game would've been available when I was younger...).

I did like a lot the diversity, but I'm still not sold on the scaling nor the boosted characters. The boosted characters for events are a way to trick us into believing some covers that we don't use that much are actually great, like C. Storm or Daken. When the event ends, we are left with the sad truth, for example that in the Elite tournament, you have 5 blue Spidey or you are a fool (disclaimer, I don't have a 5 blue spidey icon_e_sad.gif ).
  • I didn't like the length of the event, it seemed really long.
    The scaling was ridiculous. I much preferred the Hulk event style of things where they didn't appreciably scale, and you were locked off of higher bracket rewards by not having the right heroes or enough levels in your heroes. Which to be fair, Simulator did, kinda, though it seemed to pick heroes that most folks would have - especially ending on the Hulk when they were given away during the Hulk event!
    It didn't have sufficient variety, especially in regards to the length. It would've been nice to have some different level schemes. And what happened to putting in little stories with the PvE events? I missed that too.
    It was great to see some new enemy types. Brawler, etc.
    It wasn't bad, but MPQ has done better.
  • On this note, the event finished and I got the main reward but not the subs one (heroic tokens!)... rough, will wait a bit in case it's taking its time and log the issue if it persists...
  • On this note, the event finished and I got the main reward but not the subs one (heroic tokens!)... rough, will wait a bit in case it's taking its time and log the issue if it persists...

Yeah, shop has already expired, so everyone is probably in same position, with heroics instead of proper tokens icon_e_sad.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Overall an improvement over the trainwreck that was heroic oscorp. I liked that they started experimenting with alternate rewards (the 1k/2.5k iso was like a subgoal in the simulator to get, which I thought was really cool), and the scaling made it so that everyone lost the will to grind, which was good for placing in hard mode. My main issue with the event was that if you wanted to grind up some extra iso, there really wasn't an avenue to do that. Previous non-scaling events let you farm the easy missions because boosts weren't required to safely do well, but if all your missions are against 230s, you really don't want to do each mission more than once.

The next incremental improvement I would like to see is a level cap for easy mode. Towards the end of the event all of my missions in easy and hard mode were mostly level 230, but this just feels really discouraging for the player, as they just end up the same difficulty. Capping the levels in normal mode to 100-150ish would still make it so that the nodes are challenging but a lot more doable without boosts so that players can grind them for iso if they wish to do so. And I mean, it's called normal mode for a reason: it shouldn't be as hard as hard mode!

This level 230 fatigue is made worse by the length of the event as well: I got too tired of grinding 230s, and so barely played during the last 2 rounds outside of 1 run of each sub for iso. Having an easier normal mode would definitely help this issue out.
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    bughunt wrote:
    On this note, the event finished and I got the main reward but not the subs one (heroic tokens!)... rough, will wait a bit in case it's taking its time and log the issue if it persists...

Yeah, shop has already expired, so everyone is probably in same position, with heroics instead of proper tokens icon_e_sad.gif

Were the rewards for the sub events in the last round advertised as the event tokens or heroic tokens? I did not bother to look at the rewards and just assumed it was the event token. If it was event token then I will file ticket.
  • akboyce wrote:
    bughunt wrote:
    On this note, the event finished and I got the main reward but not the subs one (heroic tokens!)... rough, will wait a bit in case it's taking its time and log the issue if it persists...

Were the rewards for the sub events in the last round advertised as the event tokens or heroic tokens? I did not bother to look at the rewards and just assumed it was the event token. If it was event token then I will file ticket.

They were advertised as heroic tokens, don't fret, everything is working as intended.
  • It's only tiresome if you're trying to get 1st in every sub bracket and only if you're in some competitive sub brackets. The fatigue affects everyone so your competitors gets burned out too so you no longer have to grind as hard.

It'd nice if not every node is 230X3. After a while there's really no point but to do the 3 missions worth the most points (that you can beat). I've been saying for a while that they should use the TaT mission structure: 100%, 50%, 1 point. That way it keeps the grinding less and you'll get more variety. Obviously there will be a lot less points overall but then just adjust the progression reward downwards to compensate that. It's not like having a ton of points this round helped people getting the 300K rewards.
  • akboyce wrote:
    bughunt wrote:

Nah regular heroics. The same thing happened in the last three events that awarded tokens instead of covers in the subs.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    It's only tiresome if you're trying to get 1st in every sub bracket and only if you're in some competitive sub brackets. The fatigue affects everyone so your competitors gets burned out too so you no longer have to grind as hard.

It'd nice if not every node is 230X3. After a while there's really no point but to do the 3 missions worth the most points (that you can beat). I've been saying for a while that they should use the TaT mission structure: 100%, 50%, 1 point. That way it keeps the grinding less and you'll get more variety. Obviously there will be a lot less points overall but then just adjust the progression reward downwards to compensate that. It's not like having a ton of points this round helped people getting the 300K rewards.

+1 The TaT structure was pretty good, except for when they threw those main bracket missions on us. I was fine grinding nodes each refresh if there was iso involved, but since those damned main event missions were up for so long, eventually I grinded them out of rewards, and so stopped playing them since they didn't give me anything but points.
  • aussiemac
    aussiemac Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Overall, I think this might have been my most enjoyable PvE event. I enjoyed the Ares events, but TaT was completely broken. So I'm glad they made some significant changes.

Pros:
    - Scaling seemed to be much better! I liked they divided out a normal and hard bracket. I would agree with other players that maybe a ceiling for normal would be helpful, but maybe scaling is addressing this???? Also, personally, I think there should be more differentiation of the rewards between normal and hard.
    - Opponents seemed to really make strategy shift from match to match which was neat. Going against high level heroes was a cool variation that displayed some of their skills playability. M. Storm and Dino combo in the forest is brutal! Only thing worse would have been M.Storm/GSBW combo or M.Storm/Dino combo in desert
    - 5K Iso reward was great (and IMO quite fair!). That should be the norm for the hardest fight in the hard bracket. Rewards seemed to be guaranteed in the 1st round and diminished to extremely rare for the final two rounds

Cons:
    - Event felt a little long. Especially grinding 230lvl opponents when a single match can take 5-10 minutes. Not sure if the better fix would be fewer rounds or just fewer matches per rounds. Having two brackets added to this for me since I grinded in both.
    - More ISO! The event was maybe too ISO heavy in the first round for the devs, but it got why too dry at the end. I think there should be an added ISO reward for every incremental pass through to reward the thorough grinders. Eg: first complete pass =1K ISO, second complete pass = 2K ISO, etc..)

Overall, it was a very good event! Much improve, Wow, quite fun!
  • Played the high point missions a few times a day. Easy mode. Well I did 1 of all those missions. Got rid of the health pack rese4ve I build up (yes I dunt pay). Managed to be 2 or 3 at the hard modes and finished 3 overall after a nice fight for secobd place. Got a punisher out of all the tokens. But with 3 psylocke and the gold for a place in my roster. I liked this event.
  • aussiemac wrote:
    Pros:
    - Opponents seemed to really make strategy shift from match to match which was neat. Going against high level heroes was a cool variation that displayed some of their skills playability. M. Storm and Dino combo in the forest is brutal! Only thing worse would have been M.Storm/GSBW combo or M.Storm/Dino combo in desert
    Yep, I really enjoyed this part as well.

In particular, I enjoyed how the devs put in Bag-Man/1* Black Widow/X-Force Wolvie to force players out of their Spider-Man/GSBW/OBW/Patch ruts and to dust off other heroes. At the same time, (generally) using the less-powerful versions of the heroes meant that the fights weren't super-hard on top of requiring players to try new combinations. That made things a lot more fun even if everyone I was fighting was lvl 230.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    The Sim has spoiled me, I expect to defeat lvl 230s every time now forgetting that there are combos that work too well, unlike in the Simulator. e.g. imagine lvl 230 oBW/Daken/Thor? Nightmarish. 2*s and 1*s actually make better lvl 230s than IW and X-Force, but that's alright, they were never supposed to be lvl 230.

Venom + Spidey one shot is not an exploit, people were using it since the beginning of time, but yes, 21k enemies really do call for 1 shot abilities.
    That made lvl 230 Hulk look bad and pathetic but at the same time my lvl 18 Hulk looked amazing when tanking for mStorm, they are BFFs for sure.

Diversity is fun, but I mostly liked enemy diversity, because at the moment my PvP usually looks like oBW + Thor/Daken/Wolverine + whatever required character is.
  • I liked the event too. My only regret is being sick and not being able to play as much as I would have liked.