Any chance expiration dates will be lifted?

simonsez
simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, you introduced a feature that most people like, but it also drained every bit of ISO we have; and a lot of us are still sitting on a bunch of extra covers that will expire before we can get enough ISO to champ any more characters. Is there any chance you'll do away with the expiration dates, so we can better take advantage of this new feature?

The point of expiration dates is to force people to buy roster slots, rather than rotate characters in and out. I get that. But if we already have a 13 cover character, that's clearly not what we're intending to do with those extra covers in our queue. Can you guys please figure out a way to satisfy both your need to make us buy roster slots, and our need to avoid having to sell covers we'd prefer to use, but can't for lack of ISO?

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Simple solution would be to extend or outright remove the time limit all together.

A complex solution would be something like a storage area where you can bank a certain number of covers forever. Like, say, 10 covers maybe? 20? Pop them in there for a while and they don't expire.
    Stops people hoarding all of their covers forever "just in case" and creating a messy UI for the user and a lack of roster acquisition for the devs while also helping with championing (I guess that's a verb now).
    Hey, you could make this "Stash" something one could make money from. Pay 500 HP and you can store another 10 covers!
  • Feel free to call me cynical, but the expiration dates will now encourage people to buy ISO to reach max level and champ characters. If anything the chance of removing expiration dates has just dropped.
  • MNKromann
    MNKromann Posts: 31
    edited January 2016
    Grantosium wrote:
    Feel free to call me cynical, but the expiration dates will now encourage people to buy ISO to reach max level and champ characters. If anything the chance of removing expiration dates has just dropped.

agreed. As much as I would like to remove the expiration date, as I have lots of characters yet to max with iso. selling iso is now their bread and butter.

one could hope for a grace period, since it all happened so sudden.
  • simonsez
    I'd be stunned if anyone is actually buying ISO to do this. It's completely cost-ineffective, given what you stand to gain from the champ awards.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    I'd be stunned if anyone is actually buying ISO to do this. It's completely cost-ineffective, given what you stand to gain from the champ awards.
    Until/unless they change the amount of ISO gained from purchase, it won't be me. I rather sell a cover than invest $100. I should be getting closer to 300k ISO for that value (based on hp)
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    alaeth wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Until/unless they change the amount of ISO gained from purchase, it won't be me. I rather sell a cover than invest $100. I should be getting closer to 300k ISO for that value (based on hp)

I'd likely frequently consider the $100 Motherload pack if it contained 1,000,000 ISO... even 300k in your example seems too cost-ineffective for how quickly it'd disappear at high levels.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I learned in the last month that I don't like hoarding tokens. It turns out opening tokens is a big part of what keeps me playing this game. But I'm going to have to hoard Legendaries for the foreseeable future, until I have all the 3* in my queue championed and can prepare for the possibility of championing a 4* (I have 5 cover maxed, but only Jean and Buster leveled high enough that 2 weeks would be enough time to bring them to 270).

I would love for them to get rid of expiration dates. It would help me enjoy their game more. But I'd be very surprised if it happened: http://www.psychologyofgames.com/2015/02/hand-over-4-99-or-spider-man-gets-it/
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I don't see a problem with the current implementation of cover queues.

We aren't intended to massively hoard covers and hold on to them for extended periods of time. I understand that this is a major problem for everyone now but in reality it hasn't been a major one since the beginning. Transitioners are always forced to sell covers they can't roster yet but that's part of the game. You can't have all of the things right away unless you spend money. Having all of the things is just a luxury anyways. You don't need to get top 10 in every pve or pvp to be successful in this game.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather D3 not spend precious resource time to correct this when there are so many other issues that deserve greater attention.
  • Vinmarc43
    Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
    Would be a great feature to have say, a five spot bank to put your more valuable or important covers. By doing so, these banked covers have the expiration date removed. If you decide to swap one these covers, they are sold automatically unless you use them.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since the value of covers for any maxed character have gone up quite significantly, to avoid penalising people who have simply been unlucky with the rng, the obvious solution would be to allow covers to increase non-maxed characters by a level too, rather than simply forcing people to sell them for a pittance. Those people who have had more luck with the rng and maxed their character will still get the additional benefits from adding a champion level on top of the level increase.
  • simonsez
    edited January 2016
    babinro wrote:
    I don't see a problem with the current implementation of cover queues.
    ... says the guy with 3 usable 5*s who doesn't need to give a **** about what to do with extra 4* covers.

As for everyone else, one of the points of championing was to ease the pain of pulling tons of covers we don't need... you know, the sort of pain that you haven't experienced in nearly the same proportion as most everyone else.

Championing fails on this point if we still end up having to trash dozens of dupe 4*s.
  • i support this idea, because at the moment I barely have any 4 stars but do have a few legendary tokens from PvE.
    however I am afraid to open, because I might get a five star which I would be forced to sell.
    if covers would no longer expire, I can just open all legendary tokens and leave the 5 stars in queue.

additionally if you have something like a 2/5/1 character and get another cover for the middle you can keep it for championing later.
  • I have a solution that D3 would love.

Allow covers on duped characters to be salvaged and used for champion levels.

Don't have the ISO to level your 3* from 120-166? Just spend 1k HP on another roster slot and then use the dupe later.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    It would be great if they gave us our own vault. One that could hold perhaps 5-10 covers. We could put the ones we want to hoard in there and the others we have make choices about. Beyond that, I hope they will, at least, slightly, increase the ISO flow.
  • justplainchips
    justplainchips Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    It would be great if they gave us our own vault. One that could hold perhaps 5-10 covers. We could put the ones we want to hoard in there and the others we have make choices about. Beyond that, I hope they will, at least, slightly, increase the ISO flow.
    I love the vault idea, but they'd probably make us use a token to open the vault and it would be random which one we got out. icon_lol.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a solution that D3 would love.

Don't have the ISO to level your 3* from 120-166? Just spend 1k HP on another roster slot and then use the dupe later.

This is the correct 'compromise' for both parties, I think. Demiurge/D3 makes their money, people keep their covers.

Somewhat like a crafting inventory, you can store those covers (up to 13 per slot obviously), apply them when you level the main character, but need the roster slot to do so.
  • I have a solution that D3 would love.

This is the correct 'compromise' for both parties, I think. Demiurge/D3 makes their money, people keep their covers.

Somewhat like a crafting inventory, you can store those covers (up to 13 per slot obviously), apply them when you level the main character, but need the roster slot to do so.
    Exactly. Would probably be easier to code than a "bank" or some other solution, in addition to maintaining the revenue stream.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    If there is a way to untie the extra level feature from champion, perhaps just allow extra covers to add a level before max level. I'm sure the game already tracks the two different type of levels (ISO, covers as these are tied to rewards). Essentially, champion fee becomes the ability to respec for free. Unless they don't want people maxing the new levels without paying the champion fee (for those characters that wouldn't need the respec ability with only one ideal build)
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a solution that D3 would love.

As someone that has a bunch of max covered dupes, I vote for this option. I'd love to immediately add 13 covers to a champion and be 4 away from the 4* cover
  • removing at expiry on 5* is a must to me and increasing expiry for the rest , eg. 28 days for 4*, 21 for 3*, 14days for 2* and 1* would be nice.