No more HP for covers

Comments

• Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    Orion wrote:
    blinktag wrote:
    Sorry, don't see the big deal.

Never once in 450 days of playing have I ever even been tempted to buy a cover for hp. Waaay too expensive, especially in comparison to roster slots for the frustratingly endless supply of new characters.

So, turning off a feature I've never used in exchange for one I might? I'm okay with that. Just made my game experience better.

You won't spend 2500 HP for a 4* cover, but you might spend 120 cp for one? No, no you won't.

I've bought 1 cover for HP in the 2 years I've been playing and I still think this is a terrible idea. Buying covers is one way I can get the last cover I need for top-tier 4*s without relying on the RNGesus. It was how I planned on speeding up the end of the 4* transition. Now I have to hope the new token can somehow make up for it (spoiler alert: it won't).
    Previosly any 1 random cover = 200 HP -> bought the one you need 2000 HP (10x difference)
    Now 1 random cover = 25cp -> bought the one you need 120 CP (5x difference)

So in exchange of 5 random covers you are now getting 1 specific.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Lukoil wrote:
    So in exchange of 5 random covers you are now getting 1 specific.

You still have to have at least one of the cover you want to buy though...
    My 1 2 0 Red Hulk cries big green ice cube tears...
  • Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    The only thing i regret that i spent all CPs on tokens instead of powers.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Individual covers were and will continue to be the worst bang for your buck purchase. Nothing has really changed. If you REALLY want that last cover, 120 CP from placements and PvE isn't much more than 2500 hp.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Not sure I understand the mass hysteria. This change is sneaky and underhanded for those that buy covers outright and I agree with those people that their in game currency has been significantly undervalued - especially after a big sale. Not cool.

However I am assuming that the majority of the players and even majority of the forumites do not in fact spend money on covers. In fact this change will level the playing field substantially, it has reduced the power to whale new characters substantially. Again, to those who play it like that (like Colog) this change sucks and sucks a lot, but for the rest of us who constantly whine about getting outwhaled, this is a good thing. The game was meant to be a slow progression, removing the HP purchase achieves that!

Now the only time anyone will purchase a cover outright will be in that rare event they need that 13th unicorn cover.

The only problem I see is the last minute announcement and the fact that many folks are going to be flustered today and will be forced to a) immediately open all tokens b) whale existing covers like crazy. Really wish D3 cut the **** with these shady practices, but long term this will have a positive impact on the game.

A much more pressing issue is that the game STILL revolves around randomness and 5* are still tremendously overpowered. None of that has been even remotely addressed and a few covers here and there for championing will hardly bridge that gap.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the purposes of this post, I'll assume everyone else is spending Australian dollars.

The cost to buy a cover for a 3* just essentially went from 1,250 HP to 60,000HP ($480AUD). The cost to buy a cover for a 4* just went from 2,500HP to 360,000HP ($2,879.82AUD). Assuming that you have the original three covers required to purchase additional, the cost to whale a 4* is only somewhere around $28,798.20AUD. That's the cost to get your Star-Lord ready for championing.

Better hope those megawhales are up for the challenge!

All I see is this...

whale-dead.jpg
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    rkd80 wrote:

A much more pressing issue is that the game STILL revolves around randomness and 5* are still tremendously overpowered. None of that has been even remotely addressed and a few covers here and there for championing will hardly bridge that gap.

What would you think about a feature where you could take out the randomness, and still buy like specific powers you need, but ONLY if you have at least one of the colors first. It shouldn't be too easy to buy, but maybe require like, 2500 imcoin.png or so for a 4 star, maybe less for 3 stars and such. Do you think a system like that might help combat some of the randomness we all ****' loathe?
  • kilgarin
    kilgarin Posts: 57 Match Maker
    I can't wait to champion! Also, could you please drastically reduce the price of roster slots now that HPs don't hold the same value?
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tryke wrote:
    Individual covers were and will continue to be the worst bang for your buck purchase. Nothing has really changed. If you REALLY want that last cover, 120 CP from placements and PvE isn't much more than 2500 hp.

Individual covers was never the worst bang for your buck in terms of 4-Star covers lmao
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    I don't see that this will have significant impact on the majority of players. Realistically, the only time most people will think of buying a cover is to get their elusive final 13th cover for a particular 4* character, and probably one which hasn't been in the PVE reward rotation for a while. In all other cases, Legendary Tokens represent much better value for money.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the purposes of this post, I'll assume everyone else is spending Australian dollars.

The cost to buy a cover for a 3* just essentially went from 1,250 HP to 60,000HP ($480AUD). The cost to buy a cover for a 4* just went from 2,500HP to 360,000HP ($2,879.82AUD). Assuming that you have the original three covers required to purchase additional, the cost to whale a 4* is only somewhere around $28,798.20AUD. That's the cost to get your Star-Lord ready for championing.

Better hope those megawhales are up for the challenge!

All I see is this...

whale-dead.jpg
    What Demiurge is looking for, it seems they are trying to find the bottom of the deepest super mega whale's pockets

jZri2xZ.png?1
  • Anyone going to give this a shot? I wouldn't mind converting a few tens of thousands of HP back into dollars right around now.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 0566?hl=en

(or the Apple/Steam analog)
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    blinktag wrote:
    Back-of-the-napkin numbers suggest grinding PvE for the reaources is about the same amount of time.

60 days x 50 hp is ~ 1 cover
    60 days x 2 cp is ~ 1 cover
    You need a new napkin. T10 in subs is 100 HP, plus 50 for end-of-event placement.

As you can see, I used the T50 numbers instead of the T10 numbers. Doesn't make the statement any less valid.

It a) applies to more people, and b) is more similar to the time required to get the two cp each day. Using the T10 numbers would not have been consistent with the starting assumption: a similar amount of play time between scenarios.

More personally, I find T10 unobtainable in my brackets with less than 2 hrs of daily play (staggered 8 hrs, plus a 90-minute grind-down). Great for the people who put in the work, but that's a pretty big commitment.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah that is bad business for not notifying people earlier. I had a bunch of hp saved and luckily checked the forums and decided to use it on HB black covers thankfully. I don't mind the change as long as CP become slightly more available. You have really nerfed HP now for being only for roster slots I hope you realize as they are not efficient for buying tokens, a very puzzling change that I would foresee decreasing money spent on the game since you can't directly buy CP like you could HP.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    blinktag wrote:
    As you can see, I used the T50 numbers instead of the T10 numbers. Doesn't make the statement any less valid.
    "I used wrong numbers but the statement my wrong numbers attempted to support is still valid somehow". Why not just use T200 numbers to show it'd take infinity to earn a cover at 0hp per day. That'd make just as much sense. Please, stop trying to do any more math before you hurt yourself.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    blinktag wrote:
    As you can see, I used the T50 numbers instead of the T10 numbers.
    "I used wrong numbers but the statement my wrong numbers attempted to support is still valid somehow". Why not just use T200 numbers to show it'd take infinity to earn a cover at 0hp per day. That'd make just as much sense. Please, stop trying to do any more math before you hurt yourself.

Sure, I'll feed the troll.

I used numbers consistent with the assumptions I stated beforehand, then explained the reasoning for those assumptions more fully as some seem to lack reading comprehension skills. This does not make those numbers wrong.

When someone else uses different numbers, it's helpful if they include a rationale for their assumptions, something the alternative claim did not do. Instead, you responded with insults.

Rather than exchanging math pedigrees or having some other measuring contest, would it be too much for you to concede that for the stated assumptions (similar time investment), the conclusion was reasonably approximate? Sure, pick a different set up assumptions if you like, but it wouldn't hurt to be courteous when doing so.
  • I am kinda excited about this, because I'd actually buy more covers now, probably.

I still need a number of 3* covers, and I'm sitting on 120ish CP right now, so I might actually use some of them sometime.

I only bought one over with HP way back when when selling Xforce gave me a fresh thousand, and I kinda wish I did what I normally did with tons of HP already: Buy a ton of roster slots.

The Spend Game Money cost of covers went way up, but the opportunity cost of covers went way down. The only thing you can DO with CP is buy Legendary Tokens, or buy covers. If I could buy roster slots with CP like I could with HP, I'd never buy a cover. But now?

If I feel like I need a cover bad? Probably a better value then a LT or three. It's worth it.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jam_Adams wrote:
    so what will be left to spend HP on?

roster slots and shields? is that all?

icon_cry.gif
    healthpack.png
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The literal LAST thing this game needed was a currency switch. Unless you can use HP for leveling, this is entirely useless.

All this has done is make it so they can milk the whales FURTHER.

HP is much more abundant in game then CP.

I can't see how it makes sense to more blatantly ask for money from whales.

Their literally killing their own game.

If you don't understand me calculate how much more money it takes to buy enough command points for a cover with cash vs HP.