No more HP for covers

Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Holy ****. Good thing I read the forum today so that I can buy covers with the HP I have saved.

Thanks devs for the entire 1/2 a day's notice before you removed a huge component of the main buyable currency.

I sure hope anyone with HP saved reads the forums today too, or they're in for a nasty surprise tomorrow when they wake up and find their HP much less valuable.

More Demiurge communication at its finest.

Edit:

By the way, in case it wasn't clear already, this is a huge change to the value of the HP that people have, and it should have been communicated far in advance, not half a day in advance. Withholding this information with a sale going on borders on dishonesty.

Comments

• JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    Holy ****. Good thing I read the forum today so that I can buy covers with the HP I have saved.

Thanks devs for the entire 1/2 a day's notice before you removed a huge component of the main buyable currency.

I sure hope anyone with HP saved reads the forums today too, or they're in for a nasty surprise tomorrow when they wake up and find their HP much less valuable.

More Demiurge communication at its finest.
    Pull Your Tokens First!
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Sorry, don't see the big deal.

Never once in 450 days of playing have I ever even been tempted to buy a cover for hp. Waaay too expensive, especially in comparison to roster slots for the frustratingly endless supply of new characters.

So, turning off a feature I've never used in exchange for one I might? I'm okay with that. Just made my game experience better.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    Site the change please? This sounds terrible.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    kalex716 wrote:

Currently you can buy 3* Covers for 1250 HP and 4-Star Covers for 2500 HP.

They're removing that, and changing it so that 3-Stars are available for 20 CP and 4-Stars are available for 120 CP.

Basically 30x the price for 3-Stars and 85x the price for 4-Stars.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    blinktag wrote:

Never once in 450 days of playing have I ever even been tempted to buy a cover for hp. Waaay too expensive, especially in comparison to roster slots for the frustratingly endless supply of new characters.

So, turning off a feature I've never used in exchange for one I might? I'm okay with that. Just made my game experience better.

You won't spend 2500 HP for a 4* cover, but you might spend 120 cp for one? No, no you won't.

I've bought 1 cover for HP in the 2 years I've been playing and I still think this is a terrible idea. Buying covers is one way I can get the last cover I need for top-tier 4*s without relying on the RNGesus. It was how I planned on speeding up the end of the 4* transition. Now I have to hope the new token can somehow make up for it (spoiler alert: it won't).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    blinktag wrote:
    It's a big deal to people who were ok with the tradeoff of grinding PvE for HP. Not to mention the people who didn't mind dropping a Stark to max a new character... aka the people who are supporting the game.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    kalex716 wrote:
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37612
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    ..... Ahhh!!! I was waiting for the dagger!

This update was looking too good to be true, they had to do something to make it more in-line with how they roll.

I've always appreciated having gold to buy up the last 1-3 covers of quality heroes as an avenue to close things out, strange they'd want to block off that avenue, for what exactly?

People buy gold to get CP, and spend the gold on covering champions, if you can't buy champions with gold, what the **** do you even need it for?

Confusing...
  • blinktag wrote:

many people back in the day whaled xforce on day 181 to be competitive in pvp. more recently just as many if not more whaled hulkbuster and/or jean grey at their earliest opportunity. just because you didnt, doesnt mean it didnt happen with great regularity. and whales regularly fill out new characters almost on release. that is a complete thing of the past unless you want to play the token busting lottery.

very confusing change icon_eek.gif
  • blinktag wrote:

I feel the same way about roster spots. I've turned them off. Capped myself at 61 and I've honestly had much more fun.

Now hurry up and buy as many Rulks as you can!
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    For the purposes of this post, I'll assume everyone else is spending Australian dollars.

The cost to buy a cover for a 3* just essentially went from 1,250 HP to 60,000HP ($480AUD). The cost to buy a cover for a 4* just went from 2,500HP to 360,000HP ($2,879.82AUD). Assuming that you have the original three covers required to purchase additional, the cost to whale a 4* is only somewhere around $28,798.20AUD. That's the cost to get your Star-Lord ready for championing.

Better hope those megawhales are up for the challenge!
  • i have 6k HP. should i whale cyclops 4* or carnage?
    cyke: redflag.png 2/ yellowflag.png 1/ blueflag.png 1 carnage: redflag.png 3/ blackflag.png 1/ greenflag.png 1
    need some help xD
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    If you wanted a specific 4* cover, then buying it for 2500. Was incredibly more efficient than buying packs.

It was the reason I bought the HP that I did, and the only reason I hadn't spent that HP yet was that I didn't have enough ISO to level up a given character after cover maxing them.

I've bought several covers before to get the last couple covers needed for a character.

I'm sure plenty of other people also bought HP with the expectation that it would be spent on specific covers. Instituting this huge reduction in the usability of that HP with less than a day's notice is bordering on dishonest.

I'll be spending most of that HP today, since I was lucky enough to visit the forum today. I expect there will be a lot of upset, surprised people tomorrow.

Hey, remember when they announced the 4* Thor nerfs on the forum, but didn't mention it in game for a week after it was announced, meanwhile a giant SALE banner enticed people to buy HP and put it into the soon to be nerfed character? This shady behavior is really starting to become a pattern for this company.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    carlito666 wrote:
    i have 6k HP. should i whale cyclops 4* or carnage?
    cyke: redflag.png 2/ yellowflag.png 1/ blueflag.png 1 carnage: redflag.png 3/ blackflag.png 1/ greenflag.png 1
    need some help xD

4Cyke for sure. Ignore yellow, boost red or blue the most.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    blinktag wrote:
    It's a big deal to people who were ok with the tradeoff of grinding PvE for HP. Not to mention the people who didn't mind dropping a Stark to max a new character... aka the people who are supporting the game.

Back-of-the-napkin numbers suggest grinding PvE for the reaources is about the same amount of time.

60 days x 50 hp is ~ 1 cover
    60 days x 2 cp is ~ 1 cover

Give or take a couple of days. Yes, it's rough math, and relies on daily sub placement and winning cp, but about the same. (Hp would be *slightly* faster , but still similar)
  • carlito666 wrote:
    i have 6k HP. should i whale cyclops 4* or carnage?
    need some help xD

4Cyke for sure. Ignore yellow, boost red or blue the most.

thank you icon_e_wink.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    blinktag wrote:
    Back-of-the-napkin numbers suggest grinding PvE for the reaources is about the same amount of time.

60 days x 50 hp is ~ 1 cover
    60 days x 2 cp is ~ 1 cover
    You need a new napkin. T10 in subs is 100 HP, plus 50 for end-of-event placement. There are about two events per week on average (yes, there 7 day events, but there are also some events with 48 hr subs that give 250HP, so let's call that a wash). So every 7 days you'd be getting 800 HP, which means you'd earn enough for a cover every 21.875 days. That's a far cry from 60 days.
  • One big effect of this will be insta-3*-transition (compared to previous) for ftp PvE players. They now have a choice:

25 CP for random 4*/5*(10%)
    20 CP for random 4* (new token, tiny chance of 5*)
    20 CP for targetd 3* cover

EVERYONE will have a maxed IF/Cyc/??? after grinding PvE a little with their 2* roster. Then they'll champion them and slowly push them up as the covers roll in. No more diversity and quicker access to PvP with the "best" 3*s.

Wonder if you can keep buying covers to push up a championed toon?
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    so what will be left to spend HP on?

roster slots and shields? is that all?

icon_cry.gif
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Health Packs if you are in a pinch or Taco Tokens are unlucky.