AHHHHHHH! You Got Me! [Insane Sale]

13»

Comments

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    Steam is a problem for two reasons. First, as you noted, customers cannot buy those packs again. Steam treats them as DLCs, and one time purchases only. Second, steam charges 30% commission, if I remember correctly. That is quite steep, and make it hard for the game publisher to do a repeat on steam sales. icon_neutral.gif

Actually, that is the same amount as the ios and android stores charge.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    scottee wrote:
    For those that don't know, the Google Rewards app gives you free google play credit for taking surveys.

Yep. Just a heads up on this though, if the surveys ever mention a product that you've never heard of don't say you've used it. I've heard from other people they throw out little tests to make sure you're paying attention. One guy said he read a book that didn't exist, it then tells you that, kicks you from the program, and asks you write why you lied about the product. Kind of funny to be honest, just keep an eye out.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    STOPTHIS wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    For those that don't know, the Google Rewards app gives you free google play credit for taking surveys.

Yep. Just a heads up on this though, if the surveys ever mention a product that you've never heard of don't say you've used it. I've heard from other people they throw out little tests to make sure you're paying attention. One guy said he read a book that didn't exist, it then tells you that, kicks you from the program, and asks you write why you lied about the product. Kind of funny to be honest, just keep an eye out.

my buddy had that happen with a roller coaster he claimed to have ridden that didn't exist. He was mad because he looked up the ride he thought he went on, and it was very similar in name.
  • Kheiron
    Kheiron Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Almost caught me until I realized that I just stop and thought 'what the hell can that actually get me to make noticeable change?"

My answer was sadly nothing. Small purchases like this would work better if it had more visible progress than for storage space for characters I won't use for a year and or 1 cover of the penultimate tier of character. If it were useful I'd have spent 20 during the sale icon_e_confused.gif

I know there's a lot of problems with this game that don't need to be rehashed here, since I don't feel like typing them all out, but seriously....how can anyone be so cynical and negative that they find a reason to complain about getting 20 dollars worth of something for 5? I mean, I know it's the internet, but this seems like the most innocuous thing possible to complain about. I lost track of time traveling, so I forgot to buy coins during the Christmas sale like I planned, but this more than made up for it. I'm very sure there will be something that happens on this game that will be worth criticizing soon enough, but in this instance, I just wanted to say thanks. It'd be cool if random bonuses like this popped up from time to time, even if it's just extra CP attached to the purchase for 24 hours or something to that effect.
  • Not showing up for me at all. I'm on an Android device playing the game I downloaded from Google Play.
  • Nevermind. Showed up once I connected to my Google account. Didn't get anything of value despite the "increased odds" of a 3 or 4. icon_neutral.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Crowl wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    Steam is a problem for two reasons. First, as you noted, customers cannot buy those packs again. Steam treats them as DLCs, and one time purchases only. Second, steam charges 30% commission, if I remember correctly. That is quite steep, and make it hard for the game publisher to do a repeat on steam sales. icon_neutral.gif

Actually, that is the same amount as the ios and android stores charge.

Ouch. On the other hand, knowing that the cut is 30% across all three platforms does make things easier from a bookkeeping perspective.

Compare this to indie publishing for books. Commission varies from 30/70% for Amazon kindle (or less for Kindle Unlimited) to 15-40% for Smashwords.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    As an iOS user, I can't partake in this beyond awesome deal.

I can only hope D3 reads the reactions to this sale and how many F2P players bought it, so they can take it into account when preparing their next sale.

30% bonus=30% extra sales, 300% bonus? 3000% increase in sales. It's exponential.
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    Would 19 other people be interested in creating a buyers' club for this one-time deal? 20 cp isn't anything to scoff at. Although I imagine most have already taken advantage of this deal.
  • WilsonFisk
    WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
    I had been F2P since August 2014, this deal got me though. Too good to pass up.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malenkov wrote:
    LeRoy wrote:
    So, a chunk of the player-base, namely I-phone users like myself, don't have access to the only real sale that's ever happened? Essentially, $5 for 4* covers. I can't wait to see the outrage on this. For once I'll be somewhat sympathetic. I have a couple of folks who are just 1 or 2 covers shy of being really useful. The arbitrariness of the platform someone uses to play the game probably shouldn't impact their ability to progress in relation to others.

It's a bit different, but there's modestly frequent ways to get iTunes cards for around 20% off whereas these promotions never seem to happen for Google Play (Google Opinion Rewards is nice though). Hard to compare it to a one-time deal like this though.

Before I checked the internet this morning, I was thinking whether I could save some money on future MPQ purchases by buying an ancient model iPhone.

As far as I can remember the game won't work on anything older than iOS7. I had an original iPad and couldn't play on that so don't make it too ancient.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Patch 52 forced iOS 6 or later, effectively locking out older iOS devices - specifically the 1st-gen iPad, 3rd-gen iPod Touch and iPhone 3G, all of which have iOS 5 as their latest supported version.

If you're looking for a low-spec iOS device just for special offers, get a 4th-generation iPod Touch - it's likely to be the cheapest option. If you actually want to play MPQ at a decent framerate, I wouldn't go lower than the iPhone 4s, 5th-gen iPod Touch or 3rd-gen iPad.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kheiron wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    Almost caught me until I realized that I just stop and thought 'what the hell can that actually get me to make noticeable change?"

My answer was sadly nothing. Small purchases like this would work better if it had more visible progress than for storage space for characters I won't use for a year and or 1 cover of the penultimate tier of character. If it were useful I'd have spent 20 during the sale icon_e_confused.gif

I know there's a lot of problems with this game that don't need to be rehashed here, since I don't feel like typing them all out, but seriously....how can anyone be so cynical and negative that they find a reason to complain about getting 20 dollars worth of something for 5? I mean, I know it's the internet, but this seems like the most innocuous thing possible to complain about. I lost track of time traveling, so I forgot to buy coins during the Christmas sale like I planned, but this more than made up for it. I'm very sure there will be something that happens on this game that will be worth criticizing soon enough, but in this instance, I just wanted to say thanks. It'd be cool if random bonuses like this popped up from time to time, even if it's just extra CP attached to the purchase for 24 hours or something to that effect.

But this is the best part, I specifically said me and I in every part of this post.

It's something nice sure. The issue is one good deal after screwing up for 4 months straight with nothing but a peep is a very hard sell.
    I'm happy that this was enough for some people and that it's one step in the right direction. At the same time I'd rather see what happens before letting a deal on digital currency change my opinions on all the things they've dropped the ball on thus far.

On top of it, I still don't believe that the game is in a place where 2900 HP is even worth 20 bucks.
    The value of a 4 star cover isn't 20 dollars in my value proposition.
    it's fine to have differing opinions, this is mine, and I respect you enough for you to have the right to yours, internet or not.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    i'm an iOS user too, but before i could get too depressed, i saw this:

Your alliance got +1 commandpoints.png for supporting Marvel Puzzle Quest!

so now i say, what's not to like?? icon_mrgreen.gif
  • the fact that all of your teammates got the same PLUS 2900 HP for 5 bucks
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Kheiron wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:

Hey man, i've got a single grain of uncooked rice here. Normally I'd charge 200 dollars for it, but TODAY, FOR YOU, I will discount it to only 50 dollars. This is a great deal, don't miss it, and don't dare complain!