Venom Bomb Points

Options
13»

Comments

• thanos8587
    Options
    apparently d3 agrees something was wrong with the progression total from the first time.

why else would they have lowered it approximately 20% for the second time around?

i finished 2k points over leg token in the first run with much more grinding than i would typically do to hit leg token. something was certainly wrong. im glad they are admitting it even without saying so out loud.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    thanos8587 wrote:
    apparently d3 agrees something was wrong with the progression total from the first time.

why else would they have lowered it approximately 20% for the second time around?

i finished 2k points over leg token in the first run with much more grinding than i would typically do to hit leg token. something was certainly wrong. im glad they are admitting it even without saying so out loud.

I think the top progression reward (even before LT's) has always been lower on an immediate re-run event, but that's going from lazy memory, so I could be wrong. But hey! Easier LT in any case! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Glad they lowered the points the second time around.

I did end up getting max progression, but it was close. Too close.

If I don't get the LT this time around, I can only blame myself as the holiday will keep me from gathering points. (But that was kinda a problem the first time around too...)
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    lowering the LT progression total is all well and good..... so long as they don't mess with the point values of the nodes in the event.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2015
    Options
    SirLanik wrote:
    I joined the event the minute it started. Basically it seems my brackets points were low because so few people tried. That's annoying, knowing I couldn't get the token because too few people played in my bracket.

I think you're misunderstanding how PvE event points work.

The total number of points available in a given PvE event are fixed. It doesn't vary depending on how many people are playing, or how high or low they're scoring. If you had a low scoring bracket, it just means it's easier to place. It doesn't affect your ability to progress.

If we take the example of the Venom Bomb PvE in question, there were in well in excess of 100 000 points available, if you had 3 perfect clears per sub, and ground the end of each sub down to double digits.

If you scored 48k points, it means you've left well over 50% of the total available points on the table. At first, it doesn't seem obvious (or even possible) how you've done this. After all, you've cleared perfectly, and done "some grinding". Two comments regarding this:

Firstly, a perfect clear just means you've gotten the maximum number of points per refresh. In the end, as long as you're clearing within the hour or so of the node refresh, you're going to get a very similar number of points, so in terms of hitting the progressions, a perfect clear doesn't mean an awful lot. (It does mean an awful lot if you're in a vet bracket, playing for T10 or T2, since the point separations are miniscule).

Secondly, the end of sub grind matters an awful lot more than you might expect. If you're a typical player, you've maybe hit each node a second time at the end of the sub, or maybe a third time. You're leaving a lot of points on the table, if you do this. I'm guessing you've probably taken an extra 2000 or so points in the end of sub grind down. There are usually 7-12k points available at the end of each sub in a grind down (possibly more, depending on the value of each sub). I'm not suggesting you grind down to 1 point, that takes a lot of time (and health pack management), but it sounds like you're missing a lot of points at the end of each sub.

As Aes has pointed out, the LT progression in non new character release PvEs is set at roughly 45% of max progression, which you'd maybe hit with your 48k total here. The LT progression has been set at 60-65% of max progression for new character release PvEs, so you need to get more points out of the end of each sub, if you want to be sure of hitting it.