Venom Bomb Points

Options

Comments

• Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Options

They do seem to be fiddling a bit with progression (I remember people were really spooked by the last EotS), but the minimums do still seem to do it. It's just that the last act tends to be REALLY weighted.

See, this is why I ain't gonna be th Galileo of LT progression targets. (And yet, it moves!) 'Cause I can be on the last sub, point out how weighted it's not, and see responses like this.

So, either points per node are different from user to user, or The Internet is The Internet.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's just that the last act tends to be REALLY weighted.

I don't know if I understand you correctly, if not I apologise in advance, but points are more or less divided equally in each event. I think in all events the final sub gives twice the points that are given for the nodes in the first sub. The subs in between give out linearly increasing points.

Say sub 1 is at '1' (or 100%) then for a 4 day event like Venom Bomb the second sub will give 1.33 points, sub 3 gives 1.67 and sub 4 gives 2. (3-day: 1, 1.5 and 2; 7-day: 1, 1.17, 1.33, 1.5, 1.67, 1.83, 2).

For events with survival nodes these numbers might not be correct, I almost never seem to get out of the rubberbanding in those subs later on and calculating is too much effort for me. icon_e_smile.gif

As for Venom Bomb, I feel like the progression is set higher than other events recently. I started sooner than I normally do but am not going to get to the LT by a long shot. I have been playing slightly less efficient in the second and third sub because of Xmas and family stuff but not enough to completely miss the final progression when comparing to other events. Not that I care much about the LT btw, it would have been nice but not worth the effort needed in this event during this holiday imo.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    StevO-J wrote:
    It's just that the last act tends to be REALLY weighted.

I don't know if I understand you correctly, if not I apologise in advance, but points are more or less divided equally in each event. I think in all events the final sub gives twice the points that are given for the nodes in the first sub. The subs in between give out linearly increasing points.

Say sub 1 is at '1' (or 100%) then for a 4 day event like Venom Bomb the second sub will give 1.33 points, sub 3 gives 1.67 and sub 4 gives 2. (3-day: 1, 1.5 and 2; 7-day: 1, 1.17, 1.33, 1.5, 1.67, 1.83, 2).

For events with survival nodes these numbers might not be correct, I almost never seem to get out of the rubberbanding in those subs later on and calculating is too much effort for me. icon_e_smile.gif

As for Venom Bomb, I feel like the progression is set higher than other events recently. I started sooner than I normally do but am not going to get to the LT by a long shot. I have been playing slightly less efficient in the second and third sub because of Xmas and family stuff but not enough to completely miss the final progression when comparing to other events. Not that I care much about the LT btw, it would have been nice but not worth the effort needed in this event during this holiday imo.

Yeah, "weighted" was the wrong choice of words. I meant that each sub is worth more than the previous, which is why I don't panic when I get halfway through an event and am not yet halfway through the progression points.

IIRC the previous two events were slightly lower points to the LT, and the two prior to that were slightly more. Can't remember where that was posted though, so it may have been a fever dream.
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Currently sitting one clear into final PVE, I'm ranked number 6 with just 36501 points. Two more clears isn't going to get me 29,000 points.

The points are WAY way way off to get LT. If top 10 isn't getting the token, who is? Top 5? Top 1?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,274 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Played all subs (heck I even started 8 hours late), clear every 8 hours with grind at the end, all essentials available.

After 2 clears of sub 4 I'm at 61,000. Roughly will end up with 10,000 more (sub 4 is 5500 per clear)

So the LT progression was definitively reachable even without optimal play.
  • seekie
    seekie Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think a simple solution that will help everybody is to declare the node points in event rules in advance.

Sub1
    Repeatable node total points
    Non repeatable node total points
    Sub2
    And so on

It is understandably demoralising to have played many days and realise that you can't hit the legendary token score.

With info provided in advance, it can manage players expectation. Players will know in advance whats required, is it 3 clears, 4 clears, or 3 clears and grind. Its a win win. Unless that player fail his maths of course :p
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For each sub, given my time slice, I've been doing 1 clear at start, one more suboptimal clear right before bed, one more in the afternoon, and then whatever grinding I can do before the end (usually most of a clear and then all the easy nodes + essentials depending on difficulty.

Due to the difficulty of Venom Bomb, I just can't grind the final 2 nodes at ALL, and haven't come anywhere close to t10 in any sub. Even then, after 1 clear of sub 4, I have 60k points and the LT is just 1 clear away.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got my LT on first clear of final sub, and barely holding t20, had life yesterday, miss whole clears and over an hour late on starting final sub. So the LT is hard, but not too much so.

What makes it seem hard, is the OWMYHEAD of these last 2 subs.. i am loving this event.
  • SirLanik
    Options
    So with me full doing full perfect clears (and some grinding) the entire event, I ended at 10th place.

With only 48169 points.

Only places 1-4 of my bracket earned enough points to get the legendary token. (with top place scoring almost 100,000 ... o_O)

I'm all for making a legendary token hard to earn, but if only the top 4 people are getting it, it's placed too high.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I only did three fights after I got the legendary token, and I finished 47th in my bracket. Jeez.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I started two days in, 2 hours before Sub 2 finished, and ground what I could. I then did three suboptimal clears of Sub 3, with a few extra clears of the CP nodes. I then did three clears of Sub 4, with a grind at the end, and got the LT just before the event finished. This is despite missing all of Sub 1, and several clears of Sub 2. So I missed nearly half the event, and still got the LT.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SirLanik wrote:
    So with me full doing full perfect clears (and some grinding) the entire event, I ended at 10th place.

With only 48169 points.

Only places 1-4 of my bracket earned enough points to get the legendary token. (with top place scoring almost 100,000 ... o_O)

I'm all for making a legendary token hard to earn, but if only the top 4 people are getting it, it's placed too high.

When did you join the event?

I started halfway through the first sub, fell asleep and missed the last refresh and entire end grind, then grinded the next 2 subs somewhat (I refuse to grind to 1 in general) and picked up the token on my first clear of the final sub.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SirLanik wrote:

With only 48169 points.

48169 is pretty modest though. I didn't make top 10 with over 100k. That's a ton of a people who earned the legendary in my bracket.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,535 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I got the Legendary Token in the last 5 minutes of the game. I joined slice 3 Thursday night (so I basically missed a half clear of the least valuable sub,) and was able to do some grinding over the weekend but not a lot. I made 65 in my bracket, and top 50 on the last sub.

They set it much higher than usual. This is the first time I've ever come so close to not getting it. The wipeouts on the last sub didn't help, either.
  • SirLanik
    Options
    SirLanik wrote:

With only 48169 points.

I started halfway through the first sub, fell asleep and missed the last refresh and entire end grind, then grinded the next 2 subs somewhat (I refuse to grind to 1 in general) and picked up the token on my first clear of the final sub.

I joined the event the minute it started. Basically it seems my brackets points were low because so few people tried. That's annoying, knowing I couldn't get the token because too few people played in my bracket.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    SirLanik wrote:
    SirLanik wrote:

With only 48169 points.

I joined the event the minute it started. Basically it seems my brackets points were low because so few people tried. That's annoying, knowing I couldn't get the token because too few people played in my bracket.

That sucks, but it is one of the risks of joining later brackets. The benefit of doing that though is by playing in a bracket where no one cared, you got 10th place and thus got 3 new 4* covers (of a brand new character). Where as I played the first bracket, got to the LT progression, but only placed 36th for 1 Venom cover. You walked away from that event with a greater collection of good covers than most LT "winners". One situation is not necessarily better than the other, its just that you can aim for one goal (placement rewards vs progression rewards) with the bracket you choose, but you can't guarantee both. (unless you're a whale or an obsessive grinder with a DEEEEP roster)
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    OJSP wrote:
    Tatercat wrote:
    That sucks, but it is one of the risks of joining later brackets. The benefit of doing that though is by playing in a bracket where no one cared, you got 10th place and thus got 3 new 4* covers (of a brand new character). Where as I played the first bracket, got to the LT progression, but only placed 36th for 1 Venom cover. You walked away from that event with a greater collection of good covers than most LT "winners". One situation is not necessarily better than the other, its just that you can aim for one goal (placement rewards vs progression rewards) with the bracket you choose, but you can't guarantee both. (unless you're a whale or an obsessive grinder with a DEEEEP roster)
    While your post is very true.. but the quotes you were responding to actually had different situations.

The one joining from the beginning, came 10th but didn't get the legendary token. (And somehow thought that too few people in the bracket affected their ability to get it??). It sounded like that was a non-vet bracket.

The other joined a bit late, managed to get the token, and didn't comment about placement.

Ah, I see now, gotcha. Still, three covers of a brand new 4* character ain't a bad prize to walk away with instead of what might have been likely duplicate from the LT. Yeah the event will probably be reworked in the future for progression rewards, but lets not get tunnel vision on the LT in what looked like a pretty nice reward in a 3 day event for SirLanik.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The future has come quite quickly with the LT taking on 54k points this time round.
  • SirLanik
    Options
    To the multiple people pointing out that getting top 10 got me three Venom covers: yes, that's true. But when I obsessively play a PVE from the minute it opens and do three perfect clears and a grind of every portion, I normally finish at least top 20.

In this particular case it would the same amount of covers. I'm not trying to complain about my personal outcome- I'm pointing out the system is inherently flawed, if the same meticulous work that usually puts me WAY WAY past the points for a token in other PVE got me no where close this time.

Remember thread title? Points. The points of this event were flawed.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hopefully they fixed the 'flaw' in this venom bomb rerun