*Venom* Update

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi everyone,

Here's word from Demiurge on a change going live today for 1-Star Venom:

Quote:
"Hey all,

We got some worrying feedback that with the inclusion of Miles Morales to the game, 1-Star Venom could start holding his own against 4-Star characters. Miles creates enough Web tiles that Venom's Devour, which instantly downs a character if there are enough Web tiles, could fire pretty regularly.

Changes have been made to avoid this problem. (Changes are in R90+, CL 321089) :
• Venom now deals 2,000 Damage instead of downing a character if there are enough Web tiles on the board from Character Levels 1 to 40
• At level 41 this damage will start to scale up
• The number of tiles required to deal this damage has increased from 6 to 8."

Comments

• OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    What? No! This is completely reactionary and wouldn't shift things. Come on man.
  • Boooooooooooooo

That was the most fun part ABOUT Miles!

And it's not like this could regularly be done.

Might be better to make it so Venom's Devour could no longer be given as a team up, I'd think?
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    What? No! This is completely reactionary and wouldn't shift things. Come on man.
    I'm sure it wouldn't run rampant, but you could easily run a "regular" team with Miles and just bring a devour teamup to take care of that pesky 5* or boosted 4* that you might otherwise have trouble dealing with. My guess is this is the situation they are most worried about.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    • Venom now deals 2,000 Damage instead of downing a character if there are enough Web tiles on the board from Character Levels 1 to 40
    At level 41 this damage will start to scale up

Oh for crying out loud just put up the preview already!
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    And yet players are still waiting for the passive bug to be fixed on wave nodes.

Priorities, man... priorities
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think disabling devour as a team-up and an increase in web tiles required would have been sufficient. did they really need to nuke the ability? that's what made venom unique.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]
    At level 41 this damage will start to scale up

Oh for crying out loud just put up the preview already!
    Don't worry, he'll do enough damage at 395 that he can down any char of yours in the next run of Simulator and Gauntlet, where he'll be paired with Miles.

Another in the long line of "nerfs" that takes fun away for the player and makes things harder in PVE.
  • i don't care

Seriously, how many people use Venom - especially his upgraded black? It's nice that it allowed him to autokill a 5* character for a laugh, but he was never really a serious contender. He's a 1* character, and I really could care less about them changing his abilities to prevent disruption in higher rarities.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Jathro wrote:
    And yet players are still waiting for the passive bug to be fixed on wave nodes.

Priorities, man... priorities

The passive bug has been fixed and is arriving in R91. This was one that could not be pushed out in a daily patch:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36684#p456222

Thanks.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still waiting for my 3* Spider-Man *update*

mG3n5vlohaY.jpg

This comment is not directed at Hi-Fi who has no control over such things but at the man behind the curtain.

And a link to my official response regarding this matter, just for good measure: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35629&start=20#p457693
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    i don't care

Seriously, how many people use Venom - especially his upgraded black? It's nice that it allowed him to autokill a 5* character for a laugh, but he was never really a serious contender. He's a 1* character, and I really could care less about them changing his abilities to prevent disruption in higher rarities.
    I think it just looks suspicious that they blasted his uniqueness to prevent something that was never going happen anyway, other than via team-ups, which could have been addressed separately. running a 1* into pvp is suicide and devour would be pretty tough to pull off more than once in a 395 scaled node. turn the TU off and increase the tiles required and leave the ability alone. maybe I underestimate people's ability to get/keep 8 web tiles out and collect 12 black multiple times with a 1* on the team.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really?

At best. It would take 12 black, 6 miles purple blue 5 spidey blue to get 6 tiles out for a 23 AP move that involves a 2640 hitpoint character, and would only work if Spidey was a featured PvP.

With Miles/Carnage only it would take 12 + 6 + 8 at best to do this.

Yeah, knee jerk uneccesary for sure. So what you are saying now is sell 1* Venom because he is completely worthless now.
  • nerfing venom. icon_rolleyes.gif

now ive seen everything in this game. FailFish
  • I do wonder if people would be really mad if they changed all the Devour teamups in people's inventories into Symbiote Snares.

Like they'd probably be just as upset as now and all. But it seems like a way cooler and more tame option now.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    i don't care

I think it just looks suspicious that they blasted his uniqueness to prevent something that was never going happen anyway, other than via team-ups, which could have been addressed separately. running a 1* into pvp is suicide and devour would be pretty tough to pull off more than once in a 395 scaled node. turn the TU off and increase the tiles required and leave the ability alone. maybe I underestimate people's ability to get/keep 8 web tiles out and collect 11 black multiple times with a 1* on the team.

Even the TU would require massive amounts of AP and TU, so uneccesary, I don't care, but when you can fix a character this quickly why haven't you done anything with say IM40 or Invisible woman or Elektra etc if you can do a fix that quick why not for them?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    My name is super appropriate here. icon_rolleyes.gif

"we're worried a character that can kill 1 character after some set up will be a problem"

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngicon_ironman.png
    icon_ironfist.png

Who exactly would venom last against on defense unboosted?
  • TxMoose wrote:
    I think it just looks suspicious that they blasted his uniqueness to prevent something that was never going happen anyway, other than via team-ups, which could have been addressed separately. running a 1* into pvp is suicide and devour would be pretty tough to pull off more than once in a 395 scaled node. turn the TU off and increase the tiles required and leave the ability alone. maybe I underestimate people's ability to get/keep 8 web tiles out and collect 12 black multiple times with a 1* on the team.

If it was never going to happen, then what's the problem? What exactly does this move make people suspicious of?
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The only fear they have is whales having a counter for their 5 stars, even as ridiculously hard as it would be to pull off.

Worded oddly but it'd take months for a person to collect new spideys covers, with legendaries that now house, like what, 25 characters? So a person would have to whale up spidey to attempt to take down 5 stars.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Fun-balanced
  • As I read it "We were concerned that 4* Spiderman might have value. So we fixed the glitch."