Important Announcement: Legendary Tokens Exploit

Comments

• So everyone who got #2 because one of those exploiters got #1 with their "increased odds" will get the proper prize? icon_e_smile.gif
  • rawl316
    rawl316 Posts: 114
    Phraeg had a great idea of rolling all the cheaters rosters back to pre SS release. I like this better than sand boxing. Rolling back rosters is like life in prison vs the death sentence. They'd have no 5*, and they'd lose a ton of 4* covers. I'm not even sure Bobby would be on their roster.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    So how wide spread is this? I had never heard of it until I read a Steam Forum post about HiFi's announcement. Are we talking a few jerks here and there, or sweeping bans that cause us all to question the company we keep?
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    To be honest D3 must be secretly grateful to those guys.. I know, i and many high end players have opened our wallets way beyond what we envisioned first.. But seeing those 5* in all those rosters pushed us to invest to stay ahead of the curve.. Should there not be that exploit i would not have spent that much..
  • Thorzhamer
    Thorzhamer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    slidecage wrote:
    how do you know if you get sandbox

Are you asking because you've been sandboxed????
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    The title specifies Legendary tokens, but I hear this exploit can be used on any single pull token, what happens to players who've used this to fish 4*s from heroic and event tokens?

No I haven't been doing this
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Tarouza wrote:
    Kind of curious why the discussion thread was deleted? Seemed like a legitimate topic to discuss that mattered to a lot of people
    I'd also like to know why the entire thread was deleted, not locked or even merged into the announcement... just removed... like we were never there.
    Great forum moderation, well done.
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]We are aware of an increase in players using an exploit involving Legendary tokens. We're updating Marvel Puzzle Quest to address this issue as quickly as we can.
    Cabol wrote:
    It takes a special type of stupid to A) think this wouldn't be caught quickly and B) not think they would get banned/sandboxed ASAP.
    I interpret Davids comment as "when there were a few people doing it wasn't worth our time to fix it, now everyone knows about it we don't have a choice".
    So A) they weren't caught quickly and B) they didn't get banned/sandboxed ASAP... but apart from I'd agree, it was stupid.

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • Cypr3ss
    Ruinate wrote:
    False. Bans are done in waves so they can catch them all. If word got out that they were banning people one at a time, it gives cheaters a heads up that that the Devs know what is going on.
    Seriously? "Hey guys teh devs know we've been cheating Token Drop Luck, hide all teh loots before the police arrive"... oh wait, that's not how it works icon_rolleyes.gif
    Ruinate wrote:
    The other thread was deleted because the OP pretty much spelled out how the exploit was done. That was dumb.
    And can you please explain why detailing a flaw in a product is dumb, especially after we have an announcement indicating that their patching this particular flaw? I'm all for responsible disclosure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsible_disclosure but when the exploit has been 'out in the wild' for so long and the developer has done nothing to address it, its time to go public. It seems to me this is what happened, and hey look, a result, exploit closed. So why is it dumb?

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Cypr3ss wrote:
    And can you please explain why detailing a flaw in a product is dumb, especially after we have an announcement indicating that their patching this particular flaw? I'm all for responsible disclosure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsible_disclosure but when the exploit has been 'out in the wild' for so long and the developer has done nothing to address it, its time to go public. It seems to me this is what happened, and hey look, a result, exploit closed. So why is it dumb?

The exploit hasn't been patched yet. I'm sure they'd be happy to go public once the patch is in place.
  • Cypr3ss
    morph3us wrote:
    The exploit hasn't been patched yet. I'm sure they'd be happy to go public once the patch is in place.
    So are we assuming they aren't able to identify accounts making use of the exploit? Or they can but just don't want to risk dropping more customers into the sandbox ("I was only testing it, honest, pls don't sandbox me!")...I guess that would be bad if people continued to use it even after they've said "hey guys, we know what your upto!"

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.
  • nic13
    nic13 Posts: 87
    What if the user said it was due to multiple bad connection issues?

Wonder if anyone ever had bad connection issues when they pull a purple token lol.
  • Howzat
    Howzat Posts: 31
    So why did it take a post on the forum for action to be taken?

We are aware of an increase in players using an exploit involving Legendary tokens.

1) The exploit relates to any token. Its existed as long as the game has.
    2) You've been aware of it for a period of time (unknown) but done nothing to resolve it.

Be advised that accounts that have engaged in the exploit are easily uncovered.

3) So whilst you've been aware of it, and its been easy to identify, still no action until it was raised to the general population.

Get your PR machine to work, like to see you explain this one.

Consumer confidence = zero.
  • So you can see who's been using this exploit but you can't give me back a level 153 IF that I accidentally sold. I'm so confused.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Cypr3ss wrote:
    So are we assuming they aren't able to identify accounts making use of the exploit? Or they can but just don't want to risk dropping more customers into the sandbox ("I was only testing it, honest, pls don't sandbox me!")...I guess that would be bad if people continued to use it even after they've said "hey guys, we know what your upto!"

As far as I'm aware, they've been able to identify accounts making use of the exploit, and that the exploit is easy enough to implement that anyone could use it, so therefore, as you say, they don't want to risk dropping more customers into the sandbox.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    evil panda wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    how do you know if you get sandbox
    Why do you ask? Did you use this exploit?

nope just wondering what happens if you ever get sandbox (how would you know) was just wondering..
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    puppychow wrote:
    Will the banhammer affect end of season rankings? Inquiring minds wanna know. icon_lol.gificon_twisted.gificon_mrgreen.gif

Of course it will.

We mooving on up (movin on up) to the East Side. icon_lol.gif
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Ah you know what would be even sweeter for us non exploitors? Free Legendary token(s) ;p
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Cypr3ss wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:
    False. Bans are done in waves so they can catch them all. If word got out that they were banning people one at a time, it gives cheaters a heads up that that the Devs know what is going on.
    Seriously? "Hey guys teh devs know we've been cheating Token Drop Luck, hide all teh loots before the police arrive"... oh wait, that's not how it works icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes seriously. Ban waves are a thing. If a specific hacker is reported (and guilty) they get banned immediately after investigation obviously. All other cheaters that weren't reported,yet detected get banned all at once at a later undisclosed date. They only announced that they were sandboxing because this exploit became public. A lot of games do this. I am not excusing them or anything. They needed to have fixed this a long time ago.
    Cypr3ss wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:
    The other thread was deleted because the OP pretty much spelled out how the exploit was done. That was dumb.
    Cypr3ss wrote:

Making it known that there is an exploit was a good thing. He/she didn't exactly teach the public how to exploit, but left plenty of clues. That was dumb. When people learn how to cheat, some will cheat. Some will try it out of curiosity and they could get caught in a ban. The devs know how the exploit works. They don't need to be taught on the forums.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    There would not be players looking for such exploits if we weren't stuck opening Starlords and Invisible Womans in most of our Legendaries. Also doesn't help that most of our other token pulls consist of Moonstones and Hawkeyes.

When the odds are fair, the players play fair (most of the time).

Know that this comes from a position of respect, but that way lies madness. Based on your previous posts, I think I understand your ongoing frustrations, but it just sounds too much like the guys I know who file share and justify it as "I totally WOULD pay for music/movies/TV if the system wasn't so corrupt, man!" I almost have more respect for the ones who just say "I did it because I didn't want to pay for it."

The frustrations are still strong with me. Looking back at my post it sounded like I exploited so I changed my original post. It's actually more fitting now icon_e_biggrin.gif

Nah, you didn't sound like a cheater. If anything, you were doing a Chris Rock: "Now I'm not saying he should have killed her... but I understand."
  • Cypr3ss
    Ruinate wrote:
    Making it known that there is an exploit was a good thing. He/she didn't exactly teach the public how to exploit, but left plenty of clues. When people learn how to cheat, some will cheat, that is dumb.. Some will try it out of curiosity and they could get caught in a ban. The devs know how the exploit works. They don't need to be taught on the forums.

Fixed your post for you. You're confusing dissemination of information with the actions of others due to that information.

And honestly, I'm not sure the devs didn't need to be taught on the forums, because prior to this point in time nothing has been done to resolve the issue.

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.