Ant-Man advertisement

Moon Roach
Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
On Steam I just had an advertisement pop up for Ant-Man, which is apparently out on DVD and Blu-Ray. It included a link to the trailer.

Strange, I don't remember this being in the patch notes.

I feel a disturbance in the force.

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Just saw this. What the hell? The game itself is pretty much an advertisement for all things Marvel. I don't need it going superliminal.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    How long before I have to buy a shield from pop up adverts?

Take it you've considered that in some countries advertising to me without my permission is illegal
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I was going to start a thread along the lines of "is this the end of MPQ?", but you beat me to it. Why are they advertising for the antman DVD? This is really sad.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just when you think this game can't throw any more baffling oddities at you...
  • Apparently our $$ isn't enough.....

Hope this doesn't continue
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    I don't mind the ads, since I'm f2p, so that way I feel like I'm contributing just a little to keep the game afloat
  • People still buy DVD's?? icon_eek.gif
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Other games would at least give you something for clicking the link
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    For the record, I still haven't seen antman yet. or the ultron film. REALLY hoping either Amazon or Hulu picks up digital streaming rights. . . icon_mrgreen.gif
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they introduce ads in the game, they might take a note from many other freemium games where if you actually follow the link or watch the ad, you get some sort of in game currency. So... Watching ads for CP? I'm there. Revenue generated. You're welcome!
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    alphabeta wrote:
    How long before I have to buy a shield from pop up adverts?

Take it you've considered that in some countries advertising to me without my permission is illegal
    Are you saying you wouldn't watch an add for 25 HP?

Oh wait this is MPQ you would watch an add for a chance at 25HP, 500 ISO, 250 ISO, or a standard cover. Then when you watched the ad you would get 20 ISO.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another one in a long line of "huh?" moments.

This is how you do this (if you HAVE to):

Run growth industry.
    Tease growth industry upon login.
    Allow people to disable the teaser for 24 hrs upon seeing it once.
    Link to growth industry from the teaser.
    Upon finishing a node in growth industry show the link to the ant man trailer.
    Only show that screen once every 24 hrs.

If your code base doesn't allow stuff like that, maybe spend a little dev time on it.

Of course you can keep on doing what you're doing and count on your player base being so used to stuff like this by now that it's just not worth it taking the time to change your ways.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    The digital release was a month ago, when they ran growth industry again.. and when i got the movie.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's a cavern of difference between having an ad/announcement at login and being like a lot of freemium games where there are ads after every move/board.

If the latter hit, I'd worry. This is a non-issue.
  • Was thinking the same things as everyone else. I thought having links to comics and additional details for a character was pretty neat, but this is a bit unnecessary. As longs ads don't start coming up after every match I suppose it's not too too bad.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Already got the Blu-Ray this morning, was planning that since seeing it in theaters, before I even saw this today.

To be honest, as long as they aren't doubling up the front pop-ups (say, if we got the Antman window then followed by a pop-up for the Hulk PVE to get Amadeus Cho), I don't really mind. Well, anymore than usual, I hate have to close a pop up every time I go into a main event sub just to see my progress.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hadn't logged in yet when I first saw this thread, so at first I thought it was going to be a video ad. Seeing that it's just another announcement pop-up, it doesn't bother me in the least.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    THEY'D BETTER USE THE MONEY THEY MAKE OFF OF THIS TO FIX THE FREAKING DECREPIT OLD 3*s OR MAKING MORE / NEUTER PvEs OR AT LEAST START DISPERSING MORE IN GAME CURRENCY!!!!!

On a more serious note, Marvel can do no wrong in my eyes, when it comes to their movies and Netflix shows. I don't mind them advertising their stuff in this game, but why does the pop-up have to come EVERY TIME that I switch menus? And why is there ZERO perk for us to click or watch the ad? Especially for those of us ( i.e. me ) who already saw the movie 4 times in theatres and pre ordered the Blu and DVD months ago?

They are so gross.
  • JimmyKick
    JimmyKick Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    How much do I have to pay to not have advertisements?

Apparently $110 isn't enough.
  • Or if we just had the option of not seeing a popup again after we have seen it.