powers incorrectly handling "strongest color" [merged]

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    The silly thing is that in the description of Uncanny Strategist during the battle it WILL give you the strongest color with the tanking character. I don't see why when I have Jean Grey in prime position (middle character) and Cyclops in a secondary or tertiary position, the description says Purple will be generated, yet I get Red.

This is my educated guess as to what's happening. During a match, your characters will shuffle positions depending on who's making a match, that's what might be screwing up the middle-left-right priority and thus changing strongest color.

Either way, the ability is really broken because of this unless you bring characters who are lower level than what color you want.
    Same bug with ProfX btw.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    This is my educated guess as to what's happening. During a match, your characters will shuffle positions depending on who's making a match, that's what might be screwing up the middle-left-right priority and thus changing strongest color.
    No, it's not that. When you're matching a TU with cyke's yellow active, the same character goes to the front; and if you've got a tie situation, it's not necessarily that character's color that gets generated.

We already know they have logic in the code to give you a random color when there are ties... that's how Blade's black used to work vs. goons. For some reason, they can't figure out how to undo it.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    I paird 4* Cycke with Blade and Beast (Beast is a fair bit lower.) Apparently Cycke is matched with Blade for damage, because sometimes he generates black, sometimes red.

What's annoying is that the description states he will generate red, but at least once he generated black instead. I know this for certain - I had 0 red.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    I paird 4* Cycke with Blade and Beast (Beast is a fair bit lower.) Apparently Cycke is matched with Blade for damage, because sometimes he generates black, sometimes red.

What's annoying is that the description states he will generate red, but at least once he generated black instead. I know this for certain - I had 0 red.

Just like with Blade's black, if you click on the tile, it SHOULD tell you what color it is generating.. when it doesn't, that is when it switched between 2 tied colors..

Just an observation.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is happening to me as well,

170 OBW strongest color: Purple 79
    244 Cyclops, strongest color: Red 83
    267 KK, strongest color: Purple 74

Ability says it will make Red

I made a double match 3, TU and Yellow
    result is Black?
    cO4jWo1.pngdaqSUAX.png
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    This bug is also occurring with Blade's Nightstalker tile. I had 2 of them out vs goons (all tiles are same strength), and sometimes it steals the AP mentioned on the ability (which is the one they generate), and sometimes it steals some random other color (less correct). I mean, I don't mind it being difficult since they don't have a strongest color, but the ability should make some mention of that, or at least accurately say that.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    If you have 2 maxed characters with different strongest colors, the ability isn't prioritizing based on position; it's choosing one of the colors randomly. My assumption is that this is not working as intended.

I have the same experience. For instance playing with max IMHB (red strong) in center postion and XFW (green strong) in second position, the ingame description of the power tells me Cyke will generate red while it is actually generating either red or green during the fight.
    I have been posting tickets to D3 for two seasons now about this issue. I finally got an explanation a couple days ago:

D3 Go! Cus D3 Go! Customer Support (CC) (D3 Go!)
    <snip>

Thanks for posting this answer from CS.

I think I agree with most of the posters here:
      1. Generating randomly one of the strongest colors of the team is a bad idea overall 2. Random choice or fixed color, the ingame description must fit to the actual effect of the power

I hope we'll be heard! icon_rolleyes.gif
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just make his yellow generate redtile.png until they can sort out this issue. His power is so unreliable and will screw you when you need one particular color but you get the other because random tinykitty.
  • simonsez
    DrNitroman wrote:
    I'm hoping that means the answer made sense to you, because I have no idea what the **** they're talking about. What the hell does "provide the most beneficial match" and "upgraded to a stronger match" mean?
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    I'm hoping that means the answer made sense to you, because I have no idea what the tinykitty they're talking about. What the hell does "provide the most beneficial match" and "upgraded to a stronger match" mean?

Upgraded to a stronger match means, when one character is KOed and there no longer is a conflict between two colors.

Most beneficial match means, screw you. We made an awesome character and now we don't care if it isn't working properly, we love RNGeses.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    I'm hoping that means the answer made sense to you, because I have no idea what the tinykitty they're talking about. What the hell does "provide the most beneficial match" and "upgraded to a stronger match" mean?
    Actually... no I think the answer about the "most benefitial match" is absurd, probably written by people who didn't really understand the game mechanics...
    But I think it was a good thing that BillyBobJoe shares this answer with us icon_lol.gif
  • simonsez
    Upgraded to a stronger match means, when one character is KOed and there no longer is a conflict between two colors.
    I can see assuming that based on, "I have no idea what the hell they could mean, but this would make sense to me given what I know about the game", but I see no way that you could arrive at that interpretation linguistically.
  • simonsez
    DrNitroman wrote:
    Actually... no I think the answer about the "most benefitial match" is absurd, probably written by people who didn't really understand the game mechanics...
    But I think it was a good thing that BillyBobJoe shares this answer with us icon_lol.gif
    These days, comic relief is pretty much the only worthwhile thing they can offer us...
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    I can see assuming that based on, "I have no idea what the hell they could mean, but this would make sense to me given what I know about the game", but I see no way that you could arrive at that interpretation linguistically.

I was just trying to be funny by saying the devs think the solution is that the issue will be resolved when there is no longer an issue. It's circular logic at best. Ignorance at worst.
  • _Vitto
    _Vitto Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Hello,

I have some issues with 4 star.pngicon_cyclops.png yellow ability. I post some screenshots to explain:

my strongest colour is red:

Screenshot_2016_01_21_16_04_26_com_d3p_mpq.png

but when I match those 3 team up tiles:

Screenshot_2016_01_21_16_04_29_com_d3p_mpq.png

I get yellow ap:

Screenshot_2016_01_21_16_04_33_com_d3p_mpq.png

Either it's a icon_cyclops.png bug, or the strongest colour thing is buggy.
  • simonsez
    I just had the exact same thing happen. Not even close to being a tie, but somehow the ability thought that KK's yellow was the strongest color. It's bad enough this ability is bugged and NO DEV HAS RESPONDED IN ANY OF THESE THREADS, but the last thing I need is to generate AP for a damn passive.
  • _Vitto
    _Vitto Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Exactly. After further experiencing the issue, it's clear the colour is not chosen randomly. It always generates yellow using buffed icon_cyclops.png and icon_kamalakhan.png.
    I feel like the customer service's reply was just some kind of lame excuse for a clear bug they don't care to fix. I hope someone would prove me wrong.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    _Vitto wrote:
    It always generates yellow using buffed icon_cyclops.png and icon_kamalakhan.png.

I thought this was the case and almost dropped cyc for someone else for that event, but stuck with it and it ended up being about 60/40 red/yellow generation for me.

The first few matches I played though were all yellow. I looked for a character with a strong yellow to put with him and kamala and realized that none of the week's boosteds had an active yellow. Every time I matched TU's I was looking at the ap bars like I was watching the dice land on a **** table.

edit:
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    Just make his yellow generate redtile.png until they can sort out this issue. His power is so unreliable and will screw you when you need one particular color but you get the other because random tinykitty.

I'm sure there are some who use him to gen for other colors, but I'd be totally ok with this.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    It still amazes me that the devs went, "Holy tinykitty!" and nerfed 1* Venom in a heartbeat after Miles was released, but can't be bothered to look at serious issues with the 3*, 4*, and even 5* characters. Their system of priorities is severely messed up. I guess they're too busy rolling in all their money from the 40-packs being sold to the buyers clubs to give a damn about game balance or buggy skills any more.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was running 4cyke, GSBW and hood in the last pvp. They were all at varying levels, but because of how they flattened the match damage power curve, they all do 83 on their highest skill. It was just a roulette wheel between yellow, red and purple.

The only way this is getting "fixed" is when I "fix" it by maxing cyc, pulling 3(?) more covers for him so he can get the first match damage increase from being championed.