powers incorrectly handling "strongest color" [merged]

rbdragon
rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
BP's black says which color the opponent gets now, but it's not working right...

The BP essential in the heroic says purple, but black is generated....this is worse than just guessing since you plan one thing and it screws you up.....

Hope it gets fixed soon - was excited to see this!

Rather large moderator edit: Expanding the scope of this thread to include other powers not correctly handling "strongest color". This is known to include:

4* Cyclops yellow
4* Professor X blue
3* Black Panther black
4* Jean Grey blue

Powers affected by this bug may specify a color generated or otherwise affected in their description, but will randomly select between strong colors with the same match damage.

Merging threads into one.

-DayvBang

Comments

• I'm not a moderator but I think your topic should be at the MPQ Bugs and Issues Technical.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    This was moved to Bugs and Technical Issues by an admin, not a mod, so it's probably safe to assume they now know about the bug.

Making this sticky for now.
  • Yeah, when it's tied it just picks one instead of displaying both.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Hi,

The developers are aware of a few issues with "strongest colors" and are looking to fix them as soon as they can.

Thank you for your patience while the bugs are being squashed!
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just in case it wasn't known yet -- I've also seen it displayed incorrectly as "{?strongestEnemyColor}" or some tag like that. That was on iOS when I inspected an enemy's power.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    not sure if this was the case, but if the person who had purple as the strongest team color is killed in panther's attack, the strongest team color changes to the strongest surviving color. if you killed the purple user and the black was left, black will be what they get, even though before the attack, opponent's strongest color was actually purple. this is a tricky one to get to display right due to that dynamic - good luck devs.
  • eShock
    eShock Posts: 42
    I've also observed errors in the strongest color. To avoid duplicate threads I'll post my details here:

Context
    lvl 69(boosted) Juggernaut (mid), lvl 75(boosted) 4* Cyclops (left), lvl 75(boosted) Mr Fantastic (right)
    Highest match damage: 43 red (cyclops), also 43 blue (Mr F), but expectation is 43 red since Cyclops position is dominant over Mr F (mid > left > right). Irrelevant, but I was fighting a goon-only node in Oscorp Heroic pve.

Repro / Actual / Expected
    I activate cyclops yellow, and then match teamup tiles, expecting to get red AP (since cyclops is on left AND tooltip for the ability shows "(red)" AND tooltip for the CD tile shows "(red)") ... but it generates blue AP. Over next few turns I do more teamup tile matches (same CD tile was still active) and it generates blue AP each time, so doesn't seem like it's randomly picking between red and blue, just always picking blue.

I've also seen similar issue with Blade's CD tile draining different colors than expected, but didn't take detailed notes.

(update)
    I played another node with the exact same team as previously, and this time cyclops CD tile generated red AP (and only red AP through multiple turns of teamup matchings). Note the tooltips still said "(red)" during this battle.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    If you have 2 maxed characters with different strongest colors, the ability isn't prioritizing based on position; it's choosing one of the colors randomly. My assumption is that this is not working as intended.

Rather large moderator edit: Expanding the scope of this thread to include other powers not correctly handling "strongest color". This is known to include:

4* Cyclops yellow
    Professor X blue

Powers affected by this bug may specify a color generated or otherwise affected in their description, but will randomly select between strong colors with the same match damage.

Merging threads into one.

-DayvBang
  • GigerHR
    GigerHR Posts: 54 Match Maker
    I'm seeing the same thing. In SHIELD Sim, when I pair Cyclops with JG (both at 270, Cyke in centre position) and a lower leveled 3rd, the Cyke's Yellow description always says it generates RED. However, it seems to be picking whether it generates Red or Purple randomly when I fire Yellow, though the description still says Red on either the ability and the countdown tile.
  • simonsez
    Exactly. Glad other people are seeing it too.
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    TxMoose wrote:
    the person who had purple as the strongest team color is killed in panther's attack

I've noticed on a few occasions that the 'strongest colour' isn't dynamic. If at the start of the match Green is 'strongest' and then you down say, Hulk, (with no other Green AP users) Green will still be the 'strongest colour' even though the only user of that colour is now removed from the match. This can be especially apparent when going up against teams with a mix of 3 & 4 star chars, where the AI will continue to pursue their 'strongest colour' even when the user of this colour is down.

Regards,
    Cyp3rss.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Exactly. Glad other people are seeing it too.

It's not just 4* cyc yellow. I think it's with all the ability related to strongest color.

I faced a JG in the opp team. When I did 2 match 5 within a single turn, it trigger her passive twice and drain red ap and purple ap.
  • Twoslot
    Twoslot Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    I posted the same thing a few days ago, and linked a video of it happening. Seems totally random and can even change mid fight
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    I have been posting tickets to D3 for two seasons now about this issue. I finally got an explanation a couple days ago:

D3 Go! Cus D3 Go! Customer Support (CC) (D3 Go!)

Jan 14, 10:36

Greetings D3 Go! Customer,

Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

The Cyclops (Classic) Uncanny Strategist ability will generate 2 AP in the team's strongest color that will provide the most beneficial match. Should two colors the same beneficial match, the effect will be random between the two colors until one color is upgraded to be a stronger match or until characters strongest color changes.

Does this help clarify the issue you are experiencing?

Many questions can be answered by visiting our helpful Marvel Puzzle Quest FAQ at: http://www.d3go.com/mpq-support/

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again and it will be a pleasure to help you.

Best Regards,
    D3 Go! Customer Support Team (CLC)

I feel this is a terrible idea. Since two or more characters can have the same value on a color, and one of them TANKS the color, the same should apply to this ability. Also I notice, the color generated never changes in the description of this ability during battle. This ability is bugged either way.

Having a random color generated is not Strategic.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it has a chance of generating a random color, it should at least tell you all the colors it may currently generate.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, at least I can stop trying to figure out what the pattern is.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been posting tickets to D3 for two seasons now about this issue. I finally got an explanation a couple days ago:

D3 Go! Cus D3 Go! Customer Support (CC) (D3 Go!)

Jan 14, 10:36

Greetings D3 Go! Customer,

Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

The Cyclops (Classic) Uncanny Strategist ability will generate 2 AP in the team's strongest color that will provide the most beneficial match. Should two colors the same beneficial match, the effect will be random between the two colors until one color is upgraded to be a stronger match or until characters strongest color changes.

Does this help clarify the issue you are experiencing?

Many questions can be answered by visiting our helpful Marvel Puzzle Quest FAQ at: http://www.d3go.com/mpq-support/

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again and it will be a pleasure to help you.

Best Regards,
    D3 Go! Customer Support Team (CLC)

I feel this is a terrible idea. Since two or more characters can have the same value on a color, and one of them TANKS the color, the same should apply to this ability. Also I notice, the color generated never changes in the description of this ability during battle. This ability is bugged either way.

Having a random color generated is not Strategic.

The problem is that the "strongest color" can change in the middle of a match for seemingly no reason. That's a bug, come on, CS support trying to cover the ineptude of their coders here.

Makes using his yellow really annoying when you got characters who have a tie in strongest color and it doesnt matter in what position you put them in, you get a random color.
  • simonsez
    DayvBang wrote:
    If it has a chance of generating a random color, it should at least tell you all the colors it may currently generate.
    That assumes they understand where in the code it's generating a random color. I have no confidence they do, since it doesn't seem like it'd be a big deal to fix this. And given that they're asking US to provide actual data on the match damage/ability damage changes THEY put into the code, I fear that their understanding of their own code is far less than we already imagined.
  • BillyBobJoe
    BillyBobJoe Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    The problem is that the "strongest color" can change in the middle of a match for seemingly no reason. That's a bug, come on, CS support trying to cover the ineptude of their coders here.

The silly thing is that in the description of Uncanny Strategist during the battle it WILL give you the strongest color with the tanking character. I don't see why when I have Jean Grey in prime position (middle character) and Cyclops in a secondary or tertiary position, the description says Purple will be generated, yet I get Red.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that he's on the short list for Jugg Heroic, this issue is still persisting.