This gauntlet and 5* cover scaling

Comments

• Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I have single cover OML and SS. Started the third and started 1st node against lvl 304s ( my roster is a bunch of 4* at level 170). I finished last gauntlet easily but am also burning through healthpacks just to get this far on this one. Since I don't need the one 4* reward, I stopped beating my roster up on the third gauntlet and farmed the ISO and hp from the 1st run. They did me a favor by offering a single 4* cover I don't need as the final prize. Saving me a lot of time and frustration. If you can't progress in the third run, go for the usable stuff that's available in the first two. It's not a complete waste of an event that way.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I have 2 single cover 5*s on my roster and I didn't hit a node with 395s until the final node.

The key for me has been skipping all the essentials and leaving them for last. I learned that lesson the last time the gauntlet was run from other folks in a similar thread.

I now have 3 days to go back and finish all the essentials and I'll do that by working my way backwards through the 3 subs.
  • Deimos12
    Deimos12 Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    Checking in here with my experience. Have a Phoenix and SS on my roster of mostly maxed 3*'s. Sim 36 of blade, cage and fist are level 320. No way to beat that at all so either this was an event simply not meant to be beat with a max 3* roster (I get 4* covers how again???) or the scaling is completely borked because of rostering 5* characters. Either way not entirely happy
  • Gmax101
    Gmax101 Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    I am slightly caught in a quandary regarding scaling....

I have 1 5* rostered and then some Max 3* and starting 4*

I get that the game needs to reflect that my roster is better, so needs to set challenges accordingly.

There just has to be a better way of introducing the 5 stars... I need to open the legendary packs to fill out my 4 star covers, but getting a 5star it would have been a shame to sell it.

But now I have and the game has understandably ramped up difficulty.

So I don't think the issue is that scaling goes up, it's that the way 5 stars are implemented forces it up without really improving your roster.

Sure they are great hit point sacks but with only 1 cover they are not much more helpful than that.... Now if they started at 150 or even 166 then that would be fine. You can use them but they don't screw things up for the rest of the game.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Regardless of scaling, 2 1 cover 5*s can beat a lvl 395 node.. OML w/ 1 yellow, SS w/ 1 blue, and Loki..
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll say it again for 3* rosters. LCap/Hood/Shehulk is capable of beating just about anything. Really it's just LCap and Hood. Manage the enemy AP with Hood/Shehulk. Get protect tiles with LCap. Kill with LCap. Accelerate with Hood black.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2015
    My scaling also went up. The last time this was run I never saw any node above 300 (roster at the time had 166 as max level). This time round I started seeing 300s towards the end of the second sub and the start of sub 3. By the time it got to node 35, its was 395. I have each of the 5*s recruited at their starting level and no one else above 166.

However, I did not have to use any super whales this time to clear it. Last time I had to use 1 (and a few the run before that). So even though the scaling has increased, I'm somehow clearing it better. There were several nodes that took more than 10 attempts, but none that were impossible to beat without whaling. I believe this is due to the fact that my roster has gotten stronger. More 3* at 166 and a few of the 4* are starting to be more usable.
  • Don't waist your time, scaling is nuts and rewards not worth the time and frustration, pass. icon_e_confused.gif
    and D3, what do you want to gain here with an event that most people will quit ????!!! come on , will you just let the people play and have fun !!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif
  • I have maxed 3*s, trying to transition to 4* but have none usable yet, and one 5* OML. I beat the gauntlet and think I only used whales 4 times. Just about all the nodes are doable.

Final node 42 I beat with LCap, Loki, and a level 140 hood on my first try.

The gauntlet is actually one of my favorite PVE events because of the challenge, rewards, and no grinding necessary.
  • Stuck on Sim 35. It's completely impassible. Lvl 315 Cyclops, Kamala Kahn and Loki. I can kill either Cyclops or Kk, then the one left wipes me out. I can get Cyclops but then Kk has enough green to destroy me. If I kill Kk, Cyclops comes out with Full Blast and then its all downhill from there. I'm Using a lvl 269 Thing, lvl 166 Thor and a lvl 240 Beast. It's just ****. Then you can't try to line up some good matches a couple moves ahead because here come Loki and f@$ks it all up. Thanks D3. No matter how hard we work and build up our team, you are always there to tell us its not good enough and roster sucks. Appreciate it.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2015
    If somebody is interested I have my stats from previous gauntlet and from now, so I can compare them:

In the last run for the last node I had levels 349/348/348.
    At current Gauntlet the last node is 395/395/395

My roster previously:
    4x 166
    3x 150-160
    16x 120-150
    many chars at various levels between 50-120
    6x 2* at 15lvl
    1x 1* at 1lvl
    65 characters overall
    Average level: 98

My roster now:
    255 OML
    188 Thor
    172 XFW
    10x 166
    2x 150
    8x ~140
    7x ~130
    many chars at various levels between 70-120
    40 Jug
    15 Hawkeye
    68 characters overall
    Average level: 120

So my average level increased about 22 levels but the last node is 47 levels stronger.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Regardless of scaling, 2 1 cover 5*s can beat a lvl 395 node.. OML w/ 1 yellow, SS w/ 1 blue, and Loki..

Maybe a certain lvl 395 can be beaten, but getting only lvl 395 node's up already from the end of the second gauntlet is just out of proportion. Of course when you are extremely dedicated and use whales whenever possible and the remaining nodes with an extreme amount of luck it might be doable. But let's face it, all of that with 1 4* cover reward ??? People in this situation most likely don't need cover that anymore, so why bother?

2015-11-21%2021.54.00_zpswuboxe7j.png

I'm all for challenges and I don't mind blowing HP, boosts and my complete roster to complete things (I was one of the 40 people to actually beat Ultron round 2), but the scaling effect of a decent covered 5* is making the gauntlet unplayable. Which in my opinion is really weird, cause I've been playing daily for almost 2 years now, most of that time in a top 10/25 alliance and have spent some money as well. All that effort to find myself in a position that my decently leveled roster can't finish a certain aspect of the game while someone that has purposely or accidentally has kept their scaling low does.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    I have 10 maxed 3*, a few more in 150+ range, no 4* above 130, and then I have 2 5* (one of which I stupidly leveled to 270, and the other is still 255). My 2nd sub of gauntlet ended at 288s and I saw 395s starting at sim 36, all the way to 42. I was still able to clear the entire gauntlet with only 2 whales wasted early on and no charlie's angels winfinite. There were a few nodes that I wiped on several times (I'm looking at you, final QS essential), but luck of the board applies to the entire game in general, so I rolled with it and persisted.

I actually enjoyed my gauntlet experience, as it's the first time that I felt skill actually played a strong role in clearing (assuming you lack winfinite/whales). Luck is still the largest factor, but with a little persistence, skill eventually wins out.

Of course, the reward puts me at a 0/1/1 PX, far from usable in any form whatsoever, but still. Signs are good for the next time the gauntlet runs!

Now don't get me started on the **** that is the current Oscorp Heroic...
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:

Maybe a certain lvl 395 can be beaten, but getting only lvl 395 node's up already from the end of the second gauntlet is just out of proportion. Of course when you are extremely dedicated and use whales whenever possible and the remaining nodes with an extreme amount of luck it might be doable. But let's face it, all of that with 1 4* cover reward ??? People in this situation most likely don't need cover that anymore, so why bother?

2015-11-21%2021.54.00_zpswuboxe7j.png

I'm all for challenges and I don't mind blowing HP, boosts and my complete roster to complete things (I was one of the 40 people to actually beat Ultron round 2), but the scaling effect of a decent covered 5* is making the gauntlet unplayable. Which in my opinion is really weird, cause I've been playing daily for almost 2 years now, most of that time in a top 10/25 alliance and have spent some money as well. All that effort to find myself in a position that my decently leveled roster can't finish a certain aspect of the game while someone that has purposely or accidentally has kept their scaling low does.

Depends on what you mean by decently covered.. For you to be seeing lvl 395's at sim 28.. means you have also been leveling them.. or you just used winfinite for the entire event causing things to scale 15+ levels per board... I have 2 5*s and some max 4*s, and didn't get 395's until sim 41.... I am curious what level/covers your 5*s are, if you don't wish to share, that is fine.. but if you are leveling them over 270 (max 4* level) without a big roster of 4*s and whatnot to back them up.. that could be the problem.. Also, even without any max 4*s or even a single 5*, last gauntlet run, i hit 395 by sim 37 because i used Charlies Angels every node i could, and beating that many boards in a row w/o taking much damage at all, scales things into insanity, and there is no getting it back down.. i tried..
  • scottee wrote:
    I'll say it again for 3* rosters. LCap/Hood/Shehulk is capable of beating just about anything. Really it's just LCap and Hood. Manage the enemy AP with Hood/Shehulk. Get protect tiles with LCap. Kill with LCap. Accelerate with Hood black.

Thanks Scottee, I was stuck on nick fury / rhulk / king pin and HB/SL/mr fantastic. kept trying on and off the whole day. then i saw this. definitely a welcome reminder. sometimes with all the new characters. poor steve o and his shield o matic are left forgotten.
    Once his shield got going there was no stopping it. Easily locked down the 2 nodes.

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    you dont need a 5* to frustrate yourself.

as a 2* -> 3* transitioner i hoard legendaries because ... you know, opening my legs _will_ destroy my game (awesome feature, btw)
    my lvl102-capped roster (and no, lvling them will do exactly zero for me, thank you) meets lvl200 teams. dont even life long enough to get whales going and wiped three times in a row. cyc blinks and everyone is dead.

another patch cover will come eventually, im back to watching pr0n. you know, doing something fun.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Depends on what you mean by decently covered.. For you to be seeing lvl 395's at sim 28.. means you have also been leveling them.. or you just used winfinite for the entire event causing things to scale 15+ levels per board... I have 2 5*s and some max 4*s, and didn't get 395's until sim 41.... I am curious what level/covers your 5*s are, if you don't wish to share, that is fine.. but if you are leveling them over 270 (max 4* level) without a big roster of 4*s and whatnot to back them up.. that could be the problem.. Also, even without any max 4*s or even a single 5*, last gauntlet run, i hit 395 by sim 37 because i used Charlies Angels every node i could, and beating that many boards in a row w/o taking much damage at all, scales things into insanity, and there is no getting it back down.. i tried..

Yeah of course I also leveled them (7 covers SS lvl 360 and 5 covers OML lvl 330) followed by 4 lvl 270 4* and a few others above lvl 200, with a whole bunch of 166 3*. Full roster: http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Dekliko/

Last run of the gauntlet I didn't have any leveled 5*'s and more or less the same 4* and 3* roster. Then it was still challenging to complete, meaning i had to use smart team combo's and for the impossible nodes, Whales to the rescue. But now it's downright impossible to complete. And I don't believe that levelling the highest possible reward/toon available in the game should result in making the game less playable.
    The effect of having the strongest character in the game in your roster should be that it would make it easier to kill/complete stuff.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof wrote:
    The effect of having the strongest character in the game in your roster should be that it would make it easier to kill/complete stuff.

i 100% agree here.. but.. and yah, there is one.. i would not have leveled them above 270 w/o more covers personally. Think of it like your 2-3* transition.. I made the mistake of bringing 3Thor and Doom to lvl 154, while everyone else was was 100 or under, they made a complete rainbow and i thought i ruled the game! (long time ago).. it took months to recover from that mistake.. as i was not ready to bring anyone else at all, and this made things hell for a while.

Me, personally, i learned from that. I was in 2* Land, and my 2*s when buffed were lvl 150! but, now because i had leveled 2 3*s, the game calculated like i had a full roster of lvl 150+.. and with only 2 usable 3*s, i suffered .. and my first gauntlet before i brought more up, was almost game-breaking for me.

With 5*s, i do not plan on leveling a single one, until i have 10+ covers for them .. and way more max 4*s than i do now.. Why? Because a 4* boosted is lvl 350.. if i were to level under-covered 5*s to 350.. it would think my entire roster was lvl 350.. and by not having the right covers or other level 350's, i would suffer horribly..

It appears you are getting 5*s at a nice clip though, so you should balance out soon enough, as i did back with the whole 3* debacle. Now that i am in 4* land, i waited until i had more than 2, incorrectly covered, before i made the leap ..

I wish there was a way to de-level them for yah.. but at this point.. you will probably have to wait it out.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    With 5*s, i do not plan on leveling a single one, until i have 10+ covers for them .. and way more max 4*s than i do now.. Why? Because a 4* boosted is lvl 350.. if i were to level under-covered 5*s to 350.. it would think my entire roster was lvl 350.. and by not having the right covers or other level 350's, i would suffer horrible.

This describes exactly why the current game/scaling design is horribly wrong. For you to be willing to not use/level a 5* till it's almost completely covered to be able to play in PvE is just wrong. This also means you are gimping yourself in PvP, because the scarefactor of a higher level 5* is not something to be sniffed at.
  • Deimos12
    Deimos12 Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    scottee wrote:

Pretty tough to do this against level 320 Cage, Fist and Blade when every turn you're taking 1200+ damage from Fists attack tile...