Please end level scaling in PVE

Options

Comments

• nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    Options
    How does scaling in the new PvE work? I hardly dare doing matches because Im scared ill do something wrong and the lvl will go up icon_e_sad.gif

Help? icon_e_smile.gif
  • nihilium wrote:
    How does scaling in the new PvE work? I hardly dare doing matches because Im scared ill do something wrong and the lvl will go up icon_e_sad.gif

Help? icon_e_smile.gif

The level goes up dependant upon global performance as well as your own performance. Levels will go up regardless of whether you play or not. They seem to dip down every 24 hours or so.
  • I really don't mind it. It's waaaaaay better than Oscorp and it reduces the amount of time that I have to grind. I have a family and a job... I just can't grind away on MPQ all day or my eyes will fall out of my head. icon_lol.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LoreNYC wrote:
    What's the point of putting pvp style rankings in pve content. We are obviously not on an even playing field so the rewards should just be from progression. Why would any comparison of how fast someone with a few 120s kills 200+ Vs someone with a bunch of 85s killing lvl 100s happen? Plain stupid. Or how about when those new 50 and below teams have a much easier time getting higher ranks and acquiring 3-4* covers?

Please take the pvp scoring system out of the pve content. It doesn't work, no one knows what the thought process was behind it but it clearly doesn't reward players who put in more time and have played longer or have more kills etc
    I've mentioned this a few times as well. I'm not sure competitive PvE can be made to work at all. All these complicated systems end up feeling like hacks to try to get around that.

Maybe they'll find a system that really works, but I'm skeptical.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How Is This Not Double Scaling? The Points Are Scaled For Normal And Hard.
    That's not how capital letters work, buddy.
  • I/m finding I"m only grinding certain missions. The twelve-hour cycle is flat-out terrible due to my work schedule (8-hour was very friendly to it), and so I'm just aiming lower and only putting half-effort into the hard one. I simply don't have enough time to grind this one out. I probably will finish fairly high in the easy (though I"m functionally going to lose a cycle today, and that may make high placement impossible) and finish somewhere in the hard.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The PACman wrote:
    I dont understand the need for scaling at all, cant get my head round even the concept of needing to scale my enemies based on what some kid half way around the world has already achieved on his game. No rubber banding, no scaling must be the way to go coupled with no points loss on progression rewards (not ranking). I know i cannot get top place till i am good enough or am willing to put in the time and that is fair enough. In the meantime i want to have fun (the main reason I play games after all) and build my heroes and roster through gained ISO and the progression rewards.

Getting all the rewards in a mission is frustrating enough as it is what with all the 20 ISO results I have to put up with. If the levels get higher every time I play and get only 20 ISo then gaining the mission rewards gets to be no fun at all and this is made even worse when this happens because of other people playing the game!

If anyone can explain a good, valid reason why rubberbanding and scaling are needed and also why we have to bounce up and down the progression reward ladder i would appreciate it icon_e_sad.gif

Rubber banding means you don't have to grind every mission to be competitive. You can miss a respawn and still win the event. This is a good thing as the majority of paying customers have jobs.

Scaling means that you cannot just jump in at the last minute and expect to win. It rewards consistent play over last minute rushes and removes the incentives not to play early.

Global scaling also means that everyone cannot complete every mission, so it cuts down the number of wins you need to be successful. This reduces grind and gives people significant time back.

It is easy to come away from the event with 25k ISO. the event shouldn't be designed around those who want to grind out the remaining 15k. You can if you want to but it's not the default accommodated play style.
  • If there were no challenge in the Hard simulator there would be no point for it. If you don't have the characters to compete than don't bother with it. Stick to easy mode which gives you your fun.
    What the funbalance did you just write? Are you dumb like tiniest of kitties? What challenge is there in mopping the floor with level 50-80 in very first hours (provided you're no-lifer)? Are you supposed to be "challenged" to forget about your sleep or job? Whoever didn't sleep first hours - got free points, whoever did - got brick wall lv. 230 staring at them. The only challenge to me here is trying to figure how the hell did the devs repeat exactly same mistake of tying personal progress with arbitrary outside factors 3rd time.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Puritas wrote:
    Isn't there a way to work it on a player-by-player basis? Some way of increasing the challenge for the individual to match their own skill set? I mean I cannot beat level 230 guys at all because I have nothing to stun lock them with (and surely the idea of this game is to try out many combinations and see which work for you. Not maxing out stun lock characters to prevent the opposition from having a move at all as the one and only strategy?).

You mean like... scaling? icon_razz.gif They're still tuning it.
    Also if **** wolvie is at 230, you grinded lower levels too much.
    I beat him at 179, and he's still sub-200 for me.
    Just wait and his level'll drop..

edit: hoo boy he just skyrocketed to 229
    unless things drop tmrw morning I'm not gonna bother with more than top 50 lool

Grinded? Not really. I did the first three, failing a couple of times here and there. Saw the final fight was a high level at about 180 or so, so I went and did the other tree with the minions so I could gather up as much as possible before possibly being wiped without any med packs. Came back and they were 230. I played each one once, maybe twice. I don't think that was excessive.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    I/m finding I"m only grinding certain missions. The twelve-hour cycle is flat-out terrible due to my work schedule (8-hour was very friendly to it), and so I'm just aiming lower and only putting half-effort into the hard one. I simply don't have enough time to grind this one out. I probably will finish fairly high in the easy (though I"m functionally going to lose a cycle today, and that may make high placement impossible) and finish somewhere in the hard.

The thing is, unlike some other events, points recover gradually. That means you can get a similar amount of points by playing sporadically throughout the day rather than worrying about refresh cycles. Now of course, it's not as much as if you do them all at once, but it's much more flexible.

Regarding the level scaling, I'm still not a huge fan, but this event is a huge improvement over the past couple. The buffed characters are interesting, the fights seem to be more puzzle-based and not just mindless lv230 Rag cascades or a sea of Maggia pistols. In my bracket (all of my brackets, actually) I am #1 by a wide margin and I've barely done any grinding. The players with good rosters can do a few high point fights, while the other players can grind a lot of low point fights. It's a great system, although the easier missions probably need to be worth slightly more in the future.
  • Vinmarc43
    Options
    What is annoying is having a brand new event like this and not being able to play because I can`t get a frigging LOKI... Then it`s simple, sell me one, not random, put up your price and let us decide if it`s worth purchasing, very simple, !!!
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    What is annoying is having a brand new event like this and not being able to play because I can`t get a frigging LOKI... Then it`s simple, sell me one, not random, put up your price and let us decide if it`s worth purchasing, very simple, !!!

Guaranteed in the Diabolical 5 pack for 5000 hero points. Pricey but you get him & all the other 3* villains.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    Options
    PorkBelly wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:

Guaranteed in the Diabolical 5 pack for 5000 hero points. Pricey but you get him & all the other 3* villains.
    Errmmm...no.

Highly Trained 10 Pack has a guaranteed Loki, and for 3800 Hero Points.
  • Im getting bored with this game. I want to play, but im not being allowed to unless i have a top tier deck. My normal sim is too hard so theres no point in even looking at the hard sim. Seems stupid that other peoples games affect my levels. Also noticed that when we are all happy then we get dev response but when people are unhappy devs go quiet and disappear. Im not one for swearing but tinykitty this tinykitty.
  • Celerity wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I/m finding I"m only grinding certain missions. The twelve-hour cycle is flat-out terrible due to my work schedule (8-hour was very friendly to it), and so I'm just aiming lower and only putting half-effort into the hard one. I simply don't have enough time to grind this one out. I probably will finish fairly high in the easy (though I"m functionally going to lose a cycle today, and that may make high placement impossible) and finish somewhere in the hard.

The thing is, unlike some other events, points recover gradually. That means you can get a similar amount of points by playing sporadically throughout the day rather than worrying about refresh cycles. Now of course, it's not as much as if you do them all at once, but it's much more flexible.

The trouble is, I can't really play through the day. I can play a little in the morning, a few matches at lunch, if I go home, and then after I get home for the day. So refresh cycles are pretty critical. 8 hour cycles are friendlier, because I can essentially allow for a full reset overnight and one in the evening. With 12 hour cycles I lose a full cycle every other day or so.
  • People like to feel powerful, not to be bricked by 230's every match. Why invest and level characters when it hinders you.

That's why a hulk event style was good, you got to feel like you accomplished something and something to work towards to beat.

Difficulty for the sake of difficulty is not fun, this is a game, they should design pve like it is.
  • Missing a cycle doesn't really matter because unless your bracket has the guy who never miss a refresh getting every mission down to 1, it wouldn't matter anyway. And if that guy is in your bracket, you weren't beating him to begin with. As long as you were able to play the missions at their full value before the contest is completely overall, generally speaking whoever is the overall sub bracket leader is just so far ahead of everyone that missing a refresh wouldn't have a discernible effect. For examle right now it looks like the overall bracket leader might have 35K points. If you missed a refresh that might be the difference between say 20 and 22K, but it wouldn't matter on that final stretch run because 2000 points is only 2 missions with the maximum rubberband modifier. The only exception, of course, is if the guy you're competing has a score closer to the bracket leader, then it does matter, but again that guy is probably not going to lose to begin with.
  • I'm enjoying the scaling. It's challenging. No I don't own a 5 blue spidey. My highest level character is 85.

I can't reliably beat all of the hardcore missions and thats the way it should be. I don't have a 3 star roster.

You guys need to realize that just because you downloaded the game your not supposed to be able to win everything. You have to have the roster to do so.

This is the games version of end game.
  • I'm enjoying the scaling. It's challenging. No I don't own a 5 blue spidey. My highest level character is 85.

I can't reliably beat all of the hardcore missions and thats the way it should be. I don't have a 3 star roster.

You guys need to realize that just because you downloaded the game your not supposed to be able to win everything. You have to have the roster to do so.

This is the games version of end game.

All the content should be reasonably achieveable, because why release stuff that can't be beaten? But if everything is easily beatable, everyone would just tie for first and that's pretty dumb too.

I think the 5000 iso reward mission can start out at a fixed level the first time you beat it so that people don't end up not being unable to beat it just for starting at the wrong time. But other than that, there are quite a few missions in the hard bracket that are quite beatable even with a weak roster and some of them are even worth good points (Invisible Woman, for example). No you're not getting #1 by just beating up IW and some goons in hard, but looking at the rate people wimp out of the hard brackets, that might be enough to get you a highly trained token and that's pretty good for beating up IW and some goons, no?
  • My 2 cents:

My team is a mediocre one, 85 Classic Storm, 69 OBW, 64 Patch, 25 Loki. I can't level them over this, due to lack of covers. (I don't have Thorwerine, at least not high enough yet.)

I was online when this event started and quickly beaten the normal mode and some of the Hard mode fights. The above team, with the help of boosts and frequent healing stops was really good to beat normal mode. Took me like 4 hours to beat every fight 5 times and I took the lead in my bracket. Since then I did this twice again (spent like 8 hours on it, along with tons of boosts) and I'm still in the lead, but now the scaling caught up with me. Now some of the fights are so hard that even with my best boosts I have like 30% to win. Basically if the enemy can use 1 particular skill, it is over.

So my problem is, that I invested heavily in this event, about 12 hours of play time, thousands of iso worth of boosts and yet I will lose my 1st position, because someone will surely come with higher level characters and beat those enemies which I can't beat anymore. And for what? He will get 2 star covers which he won't ever use, just converts them into iso.

So what is the point of Normal mode then, if it is not for players w/o uber lineups? Why does it scale it up to levels which require 3 star lineups, or at least one leveled up 3 star character?

My problem is, that it seems those can finish at good places, who already have leveled up 3 star characters. So what can the average player do then to get better covers? Sure, I can end up at places where I earn 2 star covers, but I have really hard time to get 3 star ones. Most of my 3 star covers are from lucky draws from 1 star Recruit tokens or got them free. These PVE events would be good opportunities to get some covers, but it seems, the scaling up favors the better lineup players here as well.