Mods, you really need [Some Feedback from Forum Users]

13»

Comments

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    First and foremost, I want to thank the OP for the feedback. Some users may not realize this but we do take complaints into consideration when discussing mod policy. For example, the new shadow topic approach we are taking to moving topics is a direct result of the complaints against having threads moved. Hopefully it will be a happy compromise but of course we cannot please everyone.

On a related note, each mod has their own ideas and priorities about their role as a mod. Some mods prioritize organization and strict adherence to the rules while other mods prioritize user enjoyment and experience. So at times, we disagree with a decision made and debate the proper course of action. However, we respect each other and it is my hope that we balance each other out.

Do I think modding has been a bit heavy handed recently? Yes, I do. We have seen a rise in posts that specifically request mods not to interfere, a rise in people making cynical mod jokes, and now we have a whole thread about the issue of modding. These are clear signs that there is room for improvement.

But let me be clear, we are trying to improve. However, it's going to take time and I ask that you be patient with us. The forums exist so people can talk about the game they love (and/or complain about mistakes made and their frustration with some designing decisions lol) and the rules exist to help maintain organization and order. As mods, our job is to tackle both fronts: facilitate user enjoyment of the forums while maintaining order.

I think we have gotten pretty good at keeping this place clean but now we should direct our efforts on making it more fun. Party in the GD, anyone?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    It seems to me that the major thrust of the OP's complaint is that he has trouble finding threads when they get moved.

I have no issue with threads being merged. I'm also a big fan of shadow topics. I'm a member of a tech forum, and that's exactly what happens with duplicate threads. The shadow topics do clutter up the forum for a short time, but because they're locked, they get pushed down off the first page very, very quickly, and at least the original participants in the duplicate thread can find the relevant thread and continue their conversation there.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since everyone's here:

What's the deal with a new 4* DDQ thread every 5 days in General? For all the threads that get moved, why are these threads allowed to remain? The "MPQ Events, Tournaments, and Missions" subforum is dedicated to precisely that sort of discussion.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Mawtful wrote:
    Since everyone's here:

What's the deal with a new 4* DDQ thread every 5 days in General? For all the threads that get moved, why are these threads allowed to remain? The "MPQ Events, Tournaments, and Missions" subforum is dedicated to precisely that sort of discussion.

First it starts off as a who will <blank> face (Speculation),
    then it turns into a who beat it (Events),
    then it turns into a "Tinykitty, I can't beat it with my level 70 0/0/1" (Feedback)
    then it turns into a "I would have beat it if <blank> didn't get to use a tinykitty <blank> team up" (Bugs)
    then it turns into a "I beat it with my level 70 0/0/1 while using <boost> <boost> <boost> and getting a <random> board" (Tips)
    then it turns into a "My legendary gave me a blue IW" (Statistics)

It is a thread that transcends categorization.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    TazFTW wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Since everyone's here:

First it starts off as a who will <blank> face (Speculation),
    then it turns into a who beat it (Events),
    then it turns into a "Tinykitty, I can't beat it with my level 70 0/0/1" (Feedback)
    then it turns into a "I would have beat it if <blank> didn't get to use a tinykitty <blank> team up" (Bugs)
    then it turns into a "I beat it with my level 70 0/0/1 while using <boost> <boost> <boost> and getting a <random> board" (Tips)
    then it turns into a "My legendary gave me a blue IW" (Statistics)

It is a thread that transcends categorization.
    Trying to move those threads would be like playing whack-a-mole while also trying to count the grains of sand on a beach. Merging like ones is about the best we can do.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    So, let's take a vote then.. The current one up for merging into a master thread is Command Points..

How about if we did this:

Merged it into a thread titled : All About Command Points

and making it a sticky. Since this is a new currency in the game, and not going anywhere, we can all pose and post questions and answers.. and in a year or so, go back to the first page of the thread and see how it has evolved.. but , having the thread stickied on the front page, will allow things to be asked and answered in a spot everyone can see, and no-one has to search for.

edited for clarification
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    I say keep merging those threads where a user opens a new duplicate thread just because they think their post needs to be first in a thread. If you have that great of an idea or point people will read it even if it's deep in a thread.

Stop being so vain. Oh...and use the darn search feature once in awhile.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Locking this because it's gone on long enough. While my fellow mods are good intentioned in entertaining you all, the fact of the matter is that we do not answer to you. We answer to David [Hi-Fi] Moore and IceIX. If you have a problem with how we are doing our jobs, PM us first to try and work out your issue. If you don't like the outcome, PM David and Ice. If they have a problem with the way we do our jobs, they'll tell us and we'll adjust accordingly.

We always welcome constructive feedback, but don't tell us how to do our jobs.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    We'll have another internal discussion about the topic. In general, we think the mods are doing a great (and oftentimes thankless) job. Of course, there's always room for improvement and listening to the community.

Thanks for the discussion and your thoughts.

-Hi-Fi
This discussion has been closed.