Mods, you really need [Some Feedback from Forum Users]

Options

Comments

• Please see the Madlibs complaint thread so you can complain about the Mods more efficiently. Thank you. icon_e_wink.gif
    https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34883
  • Should probably move this thread to Suggestions or merge it with one of the other threads complaining about the mods.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2015
    Options
    DFiPL wrote:
    You move a thread to another forum, I AM NEVER GOING TO GO THERE TO LOOK FOR IT. Okay?

Why not? Do you participate in the forum fully, or not? If only here to skim the surface, why complain about not getting the full story? If not venturing beyond "General", you never were getting the whole picture.

The most useful information is almost always going to be found in specific places.

And if you're having trouble finding a thread you commented on, click "View Your Posts". You're welcome.

Read first (yes, check the forum and the subforums), post second (if a thread doesn't exist), and post in the appropriate place. Don't just log on and start spamming to "General". That only compounds the problem.
    DFiPL wrote:
    Jesus wept.

He sure does. Every single day around here.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And if you're having trouble finding a thread you commented on, click "View Your Posts". You're welcome.

Which works beautifully if the thread I commented on wasn't bent, folded, spindled or mutilated in the interim so that I now have to go play hide 'n seek to figure out where my post wound up.

but hey keep at it with the sarcasm that's working beautifully and in no way counterproductive
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Unsurprisingly, I agree with most of the pro-moderation opinions here. If I didn't, I wouldn't have agreed to be a moderator.

I do try my best to notify the poster when I merge or move a thread they started, but sometimes there's too much to do to give everyone a personal heads up. Of course, I've always got a bunch of PMs still in my outbox sent to people who don't read their PMs and thus don't see the note -- there's only so much I can do.

We've definitely seen the frustration some posters have expressed over threads being moved, but those subforums exist for a reason. In my opinion, moving threads to the correct section should increase readership of those subforums over time, assuming people actually care about that sort of content in the first place. I've been an active reader in the Bugs and Technical Issues forums since before I was even a mod, and I pay extra attention to Suggestions and Feedback specifically because people complain about posts there not being seen.

We've had active discussions with David [Hi-Fi] Moore over whether the level of thread-relocation is appropriate. One thing we've started using more frequently lately is "shadow topics" which leave a link in the original forum to a thread's new location. When I started modding, I was asked not to use them because it was felt that they cluttered the forum, but now we're giving them another try when it seems appropriate.

Trust me, you wouldn't want to read an unmoderated version of this forum. You certainly wouldn't be able to easily find information you were looking for.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    These types of threads can be very productive, and have actually changed how things were done in the past, but please remember to keep attacks and insults out of the discussion..
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 701 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The only problem I've had with a mod is the time I got banned for being rude. I have no problem with the ban, but it was for seven days and when I was able to log back on to the forums, the PM I had rec'd from the mod who banned me said I would be banned for only three. I responded in a PM asking about the discrepancy, but never received an explanation.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    The only problem I've had with a mod is the time I got banned for being rude. I have no problem with the ban, but it was for seven days and when I was able to log back on to the forums, the PM I had rec'd from the mod who banned me said I would be banned for only three. I responded in a PM asking about the discrepancy, but never received an explanation.

I will own up to that one right away. I am sorry you did not get the reply.. i actually had an outbox issue, which i hope is fixed.. where if included a link, it was not going anywhere, and sitting in my outbox. This issue caused many people to not get notifications of thread moves, merges, etc.. and yes, it was during the galactus event.. fun fun.

BTW it is still there, so may as well make it a public apology since you didn't receive it, and i have no idea how to force it to send:
    Malcrof wrote:
    When giving a cool down period, it is a drop down box, and it appears i selected the incorrect one, i am very sorry for this,and any trouble it may have caused communicating with your alliance. If for any reason, something like this happens again, hit me (or another mod) up here on Line If you do not have Line, maybe have an alliance-mate shoot one of us a PM (memberlist.php?mode=group&g=4)

Edit:
    still a bunch stuck, going all the way back to early August:
    X7SCqmA.jpg
  • Nightglider1
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:

I will own up to that one right away. I am sorry you did not get the reply.. i actually had an outbox issue, which i hope is fixed.. where if included a link, it was not going anywhere, and sitting in my outbox. This issue caused many people to not get notifications of thread moves, merges, etc.. and yes, it was during the galactus event.. fun fun.

BTW it is still there, so may as well make it a public apology since you didn't receive it, and i have no idea how to force it to send:
    Malcrof wrote:
    When giving a cool down period, it is a drop down box, and it appears i selected the incorrect one, i am very sorry for this,and any trouble it may have caused communicating with your alliance. If for any reason, something like this happens again, hit me (or another mod) up here on Line If you do not have Line, maybe have an alliance-mate shoot one of us a PM (memberlist.php?mode=group&g=4)

Appreciate the explanation. The public apology wasn't necessary, but kind of you nonetheless.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I appreciate not having tons of threads about the same thing, because it makes it easier to navigate the first page and actually find the useful threads.

I also like changing titles. Posters are learning thread titles from those lame click-bait articles all over the internet. Saying "look in here" doesn't make me want to look in there, nor does it help inform anyone.

Lastly, I hate titles that say "Devs, read my thread..." It's like a little kid yelling because he feels like he's not being heard. Stop thinking your thread is more important than others. That will be determined by the content and the replies, not your thread title.
  • Nightglider1
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    I appreciate not having tons of threads about the same thing, because it makes it easier to navigate the first page and actually find the useful threads.

I also like changing titles. Posters are learning thread titles from those lame click-bait articles all over the internet. Saying "look in here" doesn't make me want to look in there, nor does it help inform anyone.

Lastly, I hate titles that say "Devs, read my thread..." It's like a little kid yelling because he feels like he's not being heard. Stop thinking your thread is more important than others. That will be determined by the content and the replies, not your thread title.

"You won't BELIEVE the secret to hitting 1300 in PVP EVERY TIME!" icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    "You won't BELIEVE the secret to hitting 1300 in PVP EVERY TIME!" icon_e_biggrin.gif

"This Photo Will Change How You Look at Squirrel Girl Forever!"
  • Nightglider1
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:

Sadly, I'd probably click on that....
  • Malcrof
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:

Sadly, I'd probably click on that....

Mike Debalfo's SG is ...... worth finding to see.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:

"This Grandma picked up her grandsons phone to play MPQ and you won't believe what happens next"
  • mrflopwelligan
    Options
    "Top 10 things you didn't know about the Prologue - You won't believe #7!"
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    Options
    scottee wrote:

I absolutely agree with this... in the information sections of the forums, like Character Discussions, Tips and Guides, Bugs... etc. But how do you define what is "useful" in a general Discussion? That's the point, general discussion is boiling pot of discussions where some will stick around and the others will all die.
    scottee wrote:

You know what will happen to this threads? They will die if no one reads them ... that's fine.
    scottee wrote:

I don't think anyone says that their thread is more important then any other. I think asking for a dev to read it is just meaningless, but if someone wants to put that in thinking that a dev will actually readit good on them.

What I'm getting at is that there are lots of places in the forum that are and should be heavily moderated.... but a general discussion area shouldn't be one of those places... in my opinion of course!

icon_e_smile.gif
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would say I agree with mergers and name changes more often than not. I find the locking of topics the area I often will disagree with the mods the most.

I do think a little less heavy handedness would be the most useful in deciding if something should be locked. Its not as though the number of new threads being created is out of control or anything.

Also, with mergers. If an old thread was created 3+ months ago and someone creates a new one. I don't see the harm in letting it stay. New comments and a livelier discuss will generally happen in these cases. Plus who wants to navigate through 15 pages related to how professor X is the best when he clearly isn't anymore.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also, with mergers. If an old thread was created 3+ months ago and someone creates a new one. I don't see the harm in letting it stay. New comments and a livelier discuss will generally happen in these cases. Plus who wants to navigate through 15 pages related to how professor X is the best when he clearly isn't anymore.
    I don't know. do we need a 27th thread on beating big enchilada with a 2* team? original thread is stickied in tips/guides and was started 6 months ago, but is still just as relevant as it was then and I'm sure many of us would prefer to not rehash those types of subjects over and over.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    I don't know. do we need a 27th thread on beating big enchilada with a 2* team? original thread is stickied in tips/guides and was started 6 months ago, but is still just as relevant as it was then and I'm sure many of us would prefer to not rehash those types of subjects over and over.

Think of threads as TV channels. Don't like one, skip it. Not sure how it is hurting your day that a thread you know the conclusion for really impacts you.

There are countless threads that I have no interest in looking at that I feel I am more than well versed on, I move on to the next topic. Its not as though there are 50 redundant threads being opened a day or something.
This discussion has been closed.