Crash of Titans after Star-Lord: Professor Xavier!@#

puppychow
puppychow Posts: 1,453
edited November 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I looked at my Savory taco vault, and noticed that Xavier is at the slot under the Legendary token. So. .. how are you supposed to win a fight soloing this NOPE? icon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_mrgreen.gif

Add: the obvious opponent will be Jean Grey. Her aoe abilities will pass through his invisible tile like Swiss Cheese. icon_twisted.gif

Moderator edit: please don't be offensive. -DayvBang

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    I looked at my Savory taco vault, and noticed that Xavier is at the slot under the Legendary token. So. .. how are you supposed to win a fight soloing this NOPE? icon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_mrgreen.gif

Add: the obvious opponent will be Jean Grey. Her aoe abilities will pass through his invisible tile like Swiss Cheese. icon_twisted.gif
    AntMan just fought JG, PX will not be fighting her. I'm betting on a healer, Patch, Daken, Groot, OBW
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    I don't think that slot is the indicator of the Crash after next, is it?
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    MojoWild wrote:
    I don't think that slot is the indicator of the Crash after next, is it?

Not initially. Initially it is the 4* battle that you just fought (Ant-Man). It eventually changes during the week and it is now Prof. X.

My guess is OBW as she would have no strike tiles (unless via T/U) for espionage.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    My guess is Yelena Black widow. They just patched her to let her target invisi tiles with her payback. It must be for this fight.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the only way to make a 1 on 1 with Xavier interesting is to have an opponent that gives you special tiles for you to buff while invisible. There are 4 characters that give the opposing player special tiles: Patch, Captain Marvel, Elektra and Carnage.

Of these, I think Carnage would make the most interesting opponent. He'll plonk down lots of attack tiles for you to buff, but he also has a nasty board shake that could cost you your invisibility tile, and without that the match will probably be over really quick. I'm actually not entirely sure if his red can damage a solo invisible character, since it does x damage to the main target and Y damage to every other character... but if the X damage is targeted, it probably won't be able to hit Xavier.

It does seem to be even more luck-based than other DDQ nodes so far, though. If you get a few match-5's, the match could be decided really quickly... but if you don't get those and get no purple, you won't stand a chance against any opponent.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm definitely looking at Patch as the probably opponent. Color overlap isn't there, but contesting purple and strategically deciding when to deny green makes for an interesting battle.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm definitely looking at Patch as the probably opponent. Color overlap isn't there, but contesting purple and strategically deciding when to deny green makes for an interesting battle.

In terms of contested colours, the neatest rule I could come up with is "If the player's character has less than 3 active abilities, the opposing character will contest 1 of the player's character's strong colours, otherwise, contest 2". IIRC, this rule satisfies all previous Clashes and of all the possible characters suggested in this thread so far, only excludes Carnage. In fact, for PX, the only characters which would break this rule are those with his "complementary" colours - red, green, black. While it's nice to have a rule, it actually doesn't reduce the list of possible suspects by very much. Also, take note that the opposing character doesn't have to contest the colours of active abilities, they are allowed to contest the colour of a passive ability. The point of contesting colours is not just so that you have to fight for AP, it also means that the player can deny enemy AP without completely handicapping their damage output.

Despite giving room for only a single colour to be contested, I think OBW has a really good chance. PX will generate blue AP if/when you make a match-5, but that blue AP can't be spent, so it's in prime position to be stolen by OBW - not just by Recon, but also by espionage - and she can use that blue AP to heal herself.
  • rdevil32
    rdevil32 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Sorry I have to do this - can the OP be corrected to "Clash" please? The Titans do not "Crash"
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    rdevil32 wrote:
    Sorry I have to do this - can the OP be corrected to "Clash" please? The Titans do not "Crash"

This is what the 4* DDQ node is called. Nothing needs to be corrected.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Der_Lex wrote:
    I think the only way to make a 1 on 1 with Xavier interesting is to have an opponent that gives you special tiles for you to buff while invisible. There are 4 characters that give the opposing player special tiles: Patch, Captain Marvel, Elektra and Carnage.

Of these, I think Carnage would make the most interesting opponent. He'll plonk down lots of attack tiles for you to buff, but he also has a nasty board shake that could cost you your invisibility tile, and without that the match will probably be over really quick. I'm actually not entirely sure if his red can damage a solo invisible character, since it does x damage to the main target and Y damage to every other character... but if the X damage is targeted, it probably won't be able to hit Xavier.

It does seem to be even more luck-based than other DDQ nodes so far, though. If you get a few match-5's, the match could be decided really quickly... but if you don't get those and get no purple, you won't stand a chance against any opponent.
    I think Carnage is the most interesting opponent without being totally impossible. His red should still do Y damage. Rushing to invisibility will be important, but not an absolute win button.

The total color mismatch would make AP denial a chore, though.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

I think Carnage is the most interesting opponent without being totally impossible. His red should still do Y damage. Rushing to invisibility will be important, but not an absolute win button.

But you aren't really worried so much about AP denial. Maybe green? Because once you go invisible, you just want to buff tiles and Prof X will tank everything when he runs solo. You only deal with the AoE from Carnage red, and you should be able to outpace this with your invisibility buffed attack tiles. This is definitely a fight I wish I had 5 purple for instead of 5 yellow.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

But you aren't really worried so much about AP denial. Maybe green? Because once you go invisible, you just want to buff tiles and Prof X will tank everything when he runs solo. You only deal with the AoE from Carnage red, and you should be able to outpace this with your invisibility buffed attack tiles. This is definitely a fight I wish I had 5 purple for instead of 5 yellow.

I have 4 purple but that's ALL I have.

Only way I'm winning this fight is a slog of attrition, and I'd imagine the opponent will have an AOE attack specifically to prevent people like me from having an "easy" path to the token. icon_lol.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Hopefully sooner means they have a good opponent planned.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Since people always put the most difficult they can think of and they plump for it, I will say it's gonna be sue. The longest match evarrrrrrrrr
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quicksilver again!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to be a bit different I'm going to suggest Marvel Now Magneto. IceIX did say they had two-star opponents planned, but we haven't seen any yet. Two colors shared, comic connection, and Mags can rearrange the board to eliminate Invisibility tiles.
    It would be a very tough battle though, so I hope it's someone else. icon_lol.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    It needs to be Patch or Carnage, any other and it will be crazy difficult.

But it is going to be a very dull fight. They should skip ProfX in DDQ4. The only power you can use reliably is purple, so it is a fight were you just need to match purple :S :S :S (of course you will go for other colors if there is a match5 and you will need to deny colours to your opponent, but you know what I mean).

Fight starts.
    You go like crazy for purple.
    Cast invisibility.
    Opponent gives you strike tiles.
    Buff buff buff
    Protect invisibility tile.
    Deny red (both for Patch and Carnage, specially if it is Carnage). If you are invisible you dont care about green...

You cant do nothing else in this fight :S

PS: A 270 level JG would OBLITERATE ProfX in a solo fight.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    With Carnage you'd want to deny green as well. Major board shake that zaps special tiles. At best it slows you down a lot, at worst it zaps your inviz tile.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Just to be a bit different I'm going to suggest Marvel Now Magneto. IceIX did say they had two-star opponents planned, but we haven't seen any yet. Two colors shared, comic connection, and Mags can rearrange the board to eliminate Invisibility tiles.
    It would be a very tough battle though, so I hope it's someone else. icon_lol.gif
    Red breaks a large portion the board, blue all of it, invis tiles are safe. But he doesn't give you anything to work with, unless they give him a patch TU
  • I'm going to guess it'll be Loki with a Grant Invisibility TU.