The Forums Have Been Really Slow the Last Couple of Days

13»

Comments

• Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    I think the Devs' plan right now is to just hope that everything blows over. "This too shall pass"

It's a shame, between the start and the anniversary and now, my opinion of this game has dropped to the gutter.

Just when you think they're doing something right, they never fail to disappoint.
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Raffoon wrote:
    Square wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    You do realize random token draws are random, right? Some people didn't have your luck.
    Yes, and I got a ton of tokens, which gave a lot of chances.

I wonder why you chose to inform me of that rather than any of the large pile of gripers who didn't get a sufficient number of covers, in their opinion. The same holds equally true for them. Maybe they were simply unlucky. It says to me that their frustration was misplaced.

Anyone who didn't get three Devil Dinosaurs in anniversary week was either astronomically unlucky or a low level/inefficient player.

Pretty sure the odds were 3% for Devil Dino, right? So out of 100 tokens that's 3 Dinos on average. So, that means that anyone who didn't get 100 anniversary tokens is a low level/ineffcient player? And anyone that got 100 tokens but fell on the wrong side of the average is astronomically unlucky. Got it! Those are rational statements! Totally rational!

I mean.... I don't even really want Devil Dino, so I consider anycovers I get for him unlucky, but that's just me personally.
    No, I meant one from tokens, and two from PVP progression and alliance rewards. Is that rational? Is it totally rational?
  • Square
    GurlBYE wrote:

You still don't understand how probability works. no matter how much grinding or 'low level' or 'inefficient' they were, and no matter the covers you got.

THE ODDS WERE LOWER THEN LAST YEAR.
    YOU BEING LUCKY DOESN'T MAKE THEM 'GRIPERS'
    THEM BEING UNLUCKY DOESN'T MAKE YOU A GRIPER.

The disconnect is you downplaying others experiences because you stood out.
    It's technically possible for a person to have drawn a 4 star from every standard token they get.
    That doesn't make the odds better because they did it.
    Factually, the tokens were worse then heroics and barely brought up to the level of heroics halfway into the anniversary.

Worse off, you are bee-lining at this one point instead of the others mentioned here.
    I totally get how math and probability work, and people got loads of tokens. Even if the probability was lower than last year, so what? Is there a rule written somewhere that you must get a set probability or else you should whine about it for as long as you play (and I predict there will still be people whining about this when the third year anniversary comes)?

I definitely lump you in with gripers.

Did people get more than usual over anniversary week? Yes. Did they get everything they wanted? No. Is it a reason to complain in full caps? Of course not.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Square wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    Square wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    You do realize random token draws are random, right? Some people didn't have your luck.

I wonder why you chose to inform me of that rather than any of the large pile of gripers who didn't get a sufficient number of covers, in their opinion. The same holds equally true for them. Maybe they were simply unlucky. It says to me that their frustration was misplaced.

Anyone who didn't get three Devil Dinosaurs in anniversary week was either astronomically unlucky or a low level/inefficient player.

Pretty sure the odds were 3% for Devil Dino, right? So out of 100 tokens that's 3 Dinos on average. So, that means that anyone who didn't get 100 anniversary tokens is a low level/ineffcient player? And anyone that got 100 tokens but fell on the wrong side of the average is astronomically unlucky. Got it! Those are rational statements! Totally rational!

I mean.... I don't even really want Devil Dino, so I consider anycovers I get for him unlucky, but that's just me personally.
    No, I meant one from tokens, and two from PVP progression and alliance rewards. Is that rational? Is it totally rational?

Oh good, at that rate, you'll have him covered in 3 more years!
  • Square
    Raffoon wrote:
    Square wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    Square wrote:

Oh good, at that rate, you'll have him covered in 3 more years!
    Who cares. The point was that players should have been able to get three covers, and you snarkily mocked it. But it was totally reasonable statement. I know it's the Internet, but you don't have to be obnoxious all the time. For example, an adult would have replied: " Ah, I see what you meant, fair enough." Instead you doubled down and used it as a reason to complain more.

Why do some people move away from forums like this? I wonder...
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:
    Threads are getting locked or moved at a much higher rate as well. A post at the top of the front page of General used to cycle to about 2 or 3 pages back over a 24 hour period for me. Now a thread is likely to stay on page 1 for a day or two before dropping.

But, like, the moving of threads because they want to encourage conversation in other sub-forums? I'm sorry. It's not that I hate the sub-forums, but a lot of my browsing is on break at work. The more places I have to go to find threads the less likely I am to read anything.

And I'm sure I'm not alone.

I kinda sway back and forth on this one. It's mainly an administrative thing; you want new forumers to find the information they're looking for quickly and efficiently, so keeping it more or less organized and more or less not cluttered is the best thing to do from that prospective.

From a forumer prospective it can feel pretty lame getting a suggestion moved out of General to the actual Suggestions sub-forum, because it might not get as many hits/comments, but especially during high volume periods (we had the anni, new characters, a new event, and there's been advertisements lately), the aforementioned is more important that usual.

At the end of the day, it's a lot easier to read one long thread, than several disenfranchised ones.

What I'd suggest is just using the "View New Post" option. I usually browse from my phone, so I definitely understand that it's a pain to view fifty million threads. Here's a URL 'cause it's kinda hidden. Just fair warning though it propagates posts for all the PQ forums.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I thought about it and I really do not mind the odds. My Dino got three new covers, but I'm really not eager to fully cover it, it would be cool but not something I look forward to compared to all the other 4*. If I could have traded them for any 4* cover I would have (as long as he's never featured outside anniversary event).
    Square wrote:
    Who cares. The point was that players should have been able to get three covers, and you snarkily mocked it. But it was totally reasonable statement. I know it's the Internet, but you don't have to be obnoxious all the time. For example, an adult would have replied: " Ah, I see what you meant, fair enough." Instead you doubled down and used it as a reason to complain more.

Why do some people move away from forums like this? I wonder...

It's a reasonable statement as long as you consider "low level/inefficient" (your words) anyone who's not part of a top 100 alliance (2000 players only) or scores 800 in PVP (the average score is around 200 according to one of MPQ's newsletter).

I think you do not realize :

- how small that portion of player actually is
    - what an achievement it really is to do that (by your own statement, you're just above low level when you do that, which trivialize those results)
    - how insulting your statement can be to all the players who do not play casually but do not get those results either by lack of roster (they will in time get these results), time (they'll never get those results) or care (I'm in the "do not care" category, so I didn't felt insulted, but I understand those who would).

Which is why some hoped for at least the same percentage as last time. I didn't but those who hoped for it have a point.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    Back to the forums being slow, I've been gone for a week. I still think a week's suspension from the forums is pretty harsh for a first offense.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Firstly, they did not give away 6 4* characters during the week, they had them available through a PVE event, just like they would any other 4* release.

A majority of players did not get even 1 cover of Cyclops because of the difficulty level of it, and not having a roster containing very specific characters. That is not charitable or celebratory in any sense.

The second run was much better, and many more people achieved multiple covers of that 4* because they overhauled the event (thankfully, but may have gone a bit too easy). This overhaul would NOT have happened if the "whiners" had not come out and expressed their frustration and outrage. Some were still handicapped by not having the cover from the first run since it was an essential character for the second run.

Broken events, lack of promised double iso, and commentary from the devs themselves that they wanted this anniversary to be the BEST one yet (i.e. better than last year) and it failing to be better, are what make people believe that it was not the event that some are praising.

Random token draws do not make the event a success or a failure, but do impact how we personally feel about it. Unfortunately, those with successful pulls seem to have a tendency to dismiss those that had unsuccessful pulls and downplay their frustration and disappointment. When pull percentages are terrible to the point that they have to adjust them midway through the anniversary, there was a problem to begin with.

There is nothing worse than having a bad experience then someone dismissing your experience because they had a decent one.

If you had good pulls, congratulations! If you didn't, I feel for you. Mine were mediocre. I pulled 3 Dino's but not until after they tweaked the pull rates. Considering he only comes around once a year, I expected a few more... because I look at it less as 3 DD covers in one week, and more like 3 DD covers over a whole year.
  • Square
    Lee T wrote:
    I thought about it and I really do not mind the odds. My Dino got three new covers, but I'm really not eager to fully cover it, it would be cool but not something I look forward to compared to all the other 4*. If I could have traded them for any 4* cover I would have (as long as he's never featured outside anniversary event).

- how small that portion of player actually is
    - what an achievement it really is to do that (by your own statement, you're just above low level when you do that, which trivialize those results)
    - how insulting your statement can be to all the players who do not play casually but do not get those results either by lack of roster (they will in time get these results), time (they'll never get those results) or care (I'm in the "do not care" category, so I didn't felt insulted, but I understand those who would).
    If you're low level player, it's not an insult to state that. I'm not calling those players cancerous or anything. A year ago, I was in that group for sure. If you don't get top 100 alliance and progression prizes, you are at a lower level To dress it up seems a little messed up.

You'll have to spell it out for me more clearly why saying some people get prizes in this game is in some way insulting, other than simply describing how thing are.
  • Square wrote:

You'll have to spell it out for me more clearly why saying some people get prizes in this game is in some way insulting, other than simply describing how thing are.

As someone reading your posts, it's your tone, language choices, and general sense of myopia (my experience is the only correct/possible experience) more than anything. In this one thread alone, you used provocative language that is all but guaranteed to get people upset, and then remarkably got upset yourself when someone took offense, a result that is all but forgone considering the average person's response to inflammatory and dismissive language.

In your personal existence, everything is perfect. You're perfect, the game is perfect, your results are perfect. That's awesome for you, but there are literally 7.3+ billion people on the Earth that aren't you, and comparing everyone else negatively based solely on your singular experience of reality is obviously insulting.

Just my $0.02, and no offense intended.

DBC
  • Square, you should really take Drummerboycroy's post to heart, because it applies to pretty much everything you've posted on these forums.