Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign Console Release

LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign is now available on Xbox 360, PS4, and PS3. Coming later this year to Xbox One. The info on the release can be found on the D3 Go! blog HERE which let's you know where to find the game and the two DLC packs available. There is also some additional info on questions you may have about the game.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Comments

• JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Is this just in the US? I can't see it on the UK store. :c
  • LakeStone
    LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
    JordonLee wrote:

The game is available in the UK just on Xbox 360 for now. Will be available on PS3 and PS4 in the UK hopefully by end of the month.
  • JordonLee
    JordonLee Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    LakeStone wrote:
    JordonLee wrote:

The game is available in the UK just on Xbox 360 for now. Will be available on PS3 and PS4 in the UK hopefully by end of the month.

Thanks for letting us know! Will keep an eye out for it, cheers.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some early thoughts on the console release:

1) It looks like you get access to "3*" Spidey right away. Wonder if that means the 1* version went bye bye. At least, he was one of my eight starter characters.

2) Dislike so so much how it's back to the bad old days where you can't tell which countdown tile belongs to which goon if there are multiples of the same type.

3) Using the 4* token animation to reveal a 2* hero reward? Dirty pool, WayForward. Dirty pool!
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,319 Site Admin
    DFiPL wrote:

1) It looks like you get access to "3*" Spidey right away. Wonder if that means the 1* version went bye bye. At least, he was one of my eight starter characters.

2) Dislike so so much how it's back to the bad old days where you can't tell which countdown tile belongs to which goon if there are multiples of the same type.

3) Using the 4* token animation to reveal a 2* hero reward? Dirty pool, WayForward. Dirty pool!
    1) This is a year one version, so Spider-Man (Original) isn't in it. Only characters up through the first Anniversary, plus Iron Patriot
    2) Same reasoning as number one. The code was branched before this was a thing.
    3) There are no rarities in this version, so they're all 4*s!
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    1) Only characters up through the first Anniversary, plus Iron Patriot

Is he ever going to make his way to the mobile version? Or is he now considered "Console Exclusive"?
  • IceIX wrote:
    1) Only characters up through the first Anniversary, plus Iron Patriot

Is he ever going to make his way to the mobile version? Or is he now considered "Console Exclusive"?

I believe the official word is "Someday, but will look totally different" (Power-wise, at least)

That being said I want to see some of the raritybalancing going on here! That's the most exciting part!
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Are events a thing? Is there a pvp event style online multi player? Just thought that was a cool idea if people can't lose points due to defense losses.
  • DFiPL
    IceIX wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

1) This is a year one version, so Spider-Man (Original) isn't in it. Only characters up through the first Anniversary, plus Iron Patriot
    2) Same reasoning as number one. The code was branched before this was a thing.
    3) There are no rarities in this version, so they're all 4*s!

1) Oh, you know what, I know why I was confused - the prologue gave you access, briefly, to Spidey (3) but didn't give you actual covers. I was so used to the prologue only having certain characters on your roster that Spidey's 3* variant being immediately accessible threw me.

2) I hope they patch that in with a quickness.

3) Fair, but I've still been conditioned to expect characters who aren't even in the PS4 game when I see that flash, so to see "2*" Thor... icon_lol.gif
  • DFiPL
    colwag wrote:
    That being said I want to see some of the raritybalancing going on here! That's the most exciting part!

So far what I'm seeing is that the characters you have access to start with a single cover and feel much weaker (at least to me) with that single cover than you see in the F2P. Probably because of the level rebalancing.

All my characters are like level 3-5 so far, so nobody's really strong enough for me to be able to go "this is how they compare to PC."

Workin' on it. icon_cool.gif
  • DFiPL
    Additional note: XP is earned based on things like AP used, criticals created, match-4, etc.

It's not a flat 'beat fight get 100 XP' thing.
  • DFiPL
    Are events a thing? Is there a pvp event style online multi player? Just thought that was a cool idea if people can't lose points due to defense losses.

There's multiplayer but it looks like couch multiplayer and regular leaderboards for online multiplayer. It's not themed the way it is on PC.

I think all of the events as we know them are going to end up as DLC unless I have to clear the prologue missions before they'll show up.

Prologue appears to end in the same place on console as it did on PC. If they've added anything, it isn't showing up yet.
  • This was at the booth at NYCC this year. I got to play a couple of matches in the live 1v1 mode. It's quite fun and definitely changes the way you play when you can't target down someone in the back (makes who you make a match with very important), and you can't do things like leave a terrible match-4 for the AI so you can get that much needed match-3 for enough AP to fire a skill.

Certainly some balance issues with everyone being at level 300 (like a permanent Balance of Power) for 1v1 PVP, but very interesting and enjoyable.
  • Will the 360 version transfer to the XBOX One version? Will existing 360 customers get the XBOX One version for free like Castle Crashers? Does it have local versus?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,319 Site Admin
    Will the 360 version transfer to the XBOX One version? Will existing 360 customers get the XBOX One version for free like Castle Crashers? Does it have local versus?
    PS3 and PS4 have cross buy but the XBox One and 360 do not. It will have the same features as the 360 version as well.
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Downloading now. Add Coppertouret on ps4 if you wanna get some multiplayer.
  • DFiPL

I don't know about "events," but I hit the circle button on the prologue mission screen (where it breaks out the five chapters) and now I see Unstable Iso-8, The Hunt, Thick as Thieves, Iso-8 Brotherhood, and Prodigal Sun. I'm curious how the rewards are balanced there since it's not PvE in the F2P sense.

It does look like you have to complete prologue to unlock the additional chapters, though, and it doesn't look like the nodes are farmable for additional rewards. No 20 ISO nonsense, but either only certain nodes have rewards at all, or there's no preview of what rewards you can earn (I'm getting green check marks on every node I complete so far).
  • DFiPL
    wait whaaaaat

i just got my first Juggernaut cover and he's already level 20, but there's no indication that it's a boosted node or anything of the sort.

All of my other characters have begun at level 1.
  • DFiPL
    I got a Venom a node or two later, and HE joined me at level 27. Juggernaut was my highest-level character, at 27, when that happened.

My current working theory is that characters you unlock join at a higher level - I don't think it's an average of your characters, because I only had one other character close to Juggernaut in level - so you don't have to spend as long growing them up. I'm going to keep an eye on things as I unlock other characters.
  • You can farm nodes. I just recently got Venom, but after farming a little all my characters so far are fully covered. really the only point of farming is for covers, as after awhile the lower level nodes just don't do it experience wise.