A month later: feelings on 5 stars?

13»

Comments

• babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Voted Neutral:

As a playerbase we still lack too much information on them to make a proper judgement call.
    IceIX has mentioned that when 5* tier begins to get established we'll see a global 4* buff.

Will 4*'s become about 15% weaker than current 5*?
    Will 4*'s get a 15% buff on their current state making them completely worthless against 5*?
    What do these buffs mean to 3* players?

Until these changes happen it's hard to get a true picture on the impact of 5* tier.

That said I'm still very much negative on the concept of having a random token system as the only means of obtaining this tier. Nothing feels deserved or earned when it's a roll of the dice. My ability to remain competitive in pvp for my alliance hinges entirely on being lucky enough to have usable 5*'s by the time they become essential for scoring. For all I know I'll be 6 months ahead of the curve and our alliance will end up replacing genuinely skilled players with people who were lucky and can compete at a 5* level in order to meet alliance goals.

Random draws have reduced the amount of whaling enormously but it comes with some rather large drawbacks as well. I can see why some would like it while others were not. On paper I'm against it.
  • Yeah, I hate that I'm gonna have to sell my surfer after sinking 22k into him, but the upscaleing is killing me all the way around.
    They obviously thought about that issue with 4* starting below 2* max. If you keep that same plan and 5* start below max 3*, they would start at lvl 123.6. They already have the 5* mechanic that the first cover starts somewhere but has a higher max, so keep that so that 5* can be "useful" with only a few covers, but begin at 124 instead of 255!

Like this, there is still some scaling 'penalty' to rostering them, which might encourage spending to level up a 3* roster, but it's not devastating and game-breaking like the current implementation.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    18 tokens opened at the 10% 5* rate.

Zero 5*s.

Disappoint.

Have my chances of getting a 5* increased after that effort? No.

Is it possible I may draw 300 Legendaries and never see a single 5*, let alone get one to usable levels? It's entirely possible.

At the current 90% rate to not draw a 5*, if 100,000 players open 100 Legendaries each, on average 3 of them will not open a single 5*. Why is the system set up to screw those people?

Make it a 20 item vault instead.
  • Viking Tacos
    Viking Tacos Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    I am at the tail end of my 3* transition, the strongest 3*s are soft capped @ level 140 and all of the rest are just behind them. I have been hitting 1k regularly in pvp (pve can get off my lawn) and I see my roster lining up for the 4* transition. I'm ready for that... I have a number of 4* covers and the collection rate is increasing due to pvp success. But let me say this clearly...

5*s, DO NOT WANT

I could hide my useless 4*s in the middle of my roster while I have success with 3*s, just like I did with my 3s and 2s before that. You can't hide 5*s they drop in to your scaling like a bomb.

I am aware of their rarity and their shiny, but the 5*s are mpq's sirens that tempt Odysseus and his crew. I will resist the sirens' call and sell any surfers, omls, or whoevers until my roster can support them.

(Note to mods: there are a few threads that are circling around similar issues related to 5*s, consider merging? Thanks. And General thanks for a job well done.)