A month later: feelings on 5 stars?

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    They serve no purpose except to f up the game.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    I got an OML red to roster. I would trade it for a few Legendary tokens.

My thoughts are still the same, as when I posted this thread, 5 Star tier shouldn't exist yet. I don't mind their presence, but give them a different ranking, so it doesn't mess up the * tier system in place and paint the game into a corner regarding it's future.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    GMadMan040 wrote:
    I also pulled an OML Red. Mine has been of tremendous use. Teamed with IF & Luke Cage, they've been great!

Honestly want to ask you a few questions, since I have pulled this cover as well.

What do you primarily play, PVP or PVE?

I play both. I'm a t2 PVE player and a 1k PVP scorer. I'm used to the levels that I see, with a roster of 2 160 4* and 40 140 3*. If I had to have a 5* and I got to choose, I would've chosen an OML yellow for PVE purposes. You still get to hide red/yellow/black users behind him, and he continues to heal himself. The red cover, if you don't have 5 strikes on the board, he'll continue to drain his own health, and you got to make sure to keep 5 strikes on the board, so he doesn't down himself.

How often can you use him, before he ends up going down due to damage from the other team and himself? How often are you feeding him healthpacks?

The point of a 5* to me, would be a match-damaging tank to hide others behind. OML yellow would be the best self-sustaining, match damaging tank. OML red is a match-damaging, self-destructive tank.

Thanks in advance, if you respond.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've yet to see more than one or two in PVP, so my impression is still pretty neutral. The rate of distribution on these guys is slow, really slow, someone who manages to get every Legendary token readily available (possible, but a lot of work regardless of your roster,) will probably get about 2 5* covers a month. Considering that you probably want at least one of each cover before you really start using them, that's a fairly long time. Sure, one or two people have spent thousands of dollars to whale out theirs, but that's what the "skip" button is for.

We'll start seeing the bulk of the high end players start using them in maybe another month or two, ask me again how much I like them. I do think their scaling will break the game when it really kicks in, though I don't think that will be anytime soon. I also think the scaling will be (eventually) nerfed, either by taking the 5*s down a peg (possibly lowering their starting level,) or by boosting the 4*s (which is what they said they would do, but I hope they do the former instead.)
  • W4LAndre
    W4LAndre Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Personally I feel pretty neutral on the subject. I have a 2 cover Surfer at lvl 285, but the only real use I've gotten from him was in the season sim. I was able to walk up to ~1700 with him and a cover and level maxed 3* and a purposely under leveled but cover maxed 3* relatively easily last season. After that point I had to get creative since I only have blue and black for SS. Outside of that, I never use him. Right after I got him, I tried him out in some character specific versus events, but he wasn't as much of a scarecrow as I had hoped. Boosted 3*s were beating him on defense and on offense he was only as good as the other 2 I used would allow him to be, which usually wasn't very. Since OML is still pretty new, I haven't seen more than 1 or 2 covered versions of him in any versus that I've played. I've taken those fights every time and won.
    I only push for legendary every few PVE events, but in the ones I have tried in, I haven't noticed any drastic difference in enemy difficulty. Surfer is my highest leveled character by 75 levels, (210 XFW), and the rest of my roster is 166 or less. The whole scaling and MMR issue seems to be very personal. I can totally understand the frustration that late 2* and early to mid 3* players face with having a 225+ level character on their roster. To those players, I hope things get better for you. I ran in to some similar issues back when I started getting multiple covers for a couple of 3*s and leveled them right away, leaving most of my roster in the proverbial dust. This was before I knew any better and didn't have an understanding of how these things work. At the end of the day, there is only so much you can do, so do whatever feels best to you. Good luck to everyone struggling with this.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    I've yet to see more than one or two in PVP
    Seems like each of the past few events, I see someone with a maxed 5 hanging out at the top of the leaderboard. I get the impression this has become the new way to quit. Hack your account, and wait to get sandboxed. Meantime, you're taking up space and taking away points from the other people in that shard, and customer service never compensates for points lost to hackers in PvP.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    GrimSkald wrote:
    I've yet to see more than one or two in PVP
    Seems like each of the past few events, I see someone with a maxed 5 hanging out at the top of the leaderboard. I get the impression this has become the new way to quit. Hack your account, and wait to get sandboxed. Meantime, you're taking up space and taking away points from the other people in that shard, and customer service never compensates for points lost to hackers in PvP.

I just checked my bracket, and I didn't see anyone in the top 10 with more than 3 covers, but that doesn't actually mean anything - I'm just one bracket in one slice. That brings up a good point, though - I'm not a very competitive player. I play seriously, and have a developing 4* roster (3 optimal, a few more nearly there,) but I never go for first in either PVE or PVP - it takes up too much time and HP IMHO. That's where it's truly going to suck when the 5*s start showing up in force- someone with a 5* will have a much easier time getting #1 in PVP and PVE than someone without.
  • lukewin wrote:
    GMadMan040 wrote:
    I also pulled an OML Red. Mine has been of tremendous use. Teamed with IF & Luke Cage, they've been great!

Honestly want to ask you a few questions, since I have pulled this cover as well.

I play both. I'm a t2 PVE player and a 1k PVP scorer. I'm used to the levels that I see, with a roster of 2 160 4* and 40 140 3*. If I had to have a 5* and I got to choose, I would've chosen an OML yellow for PVE purposes. You still get to hide red/yellow/black users behind him, and he continues to heal himself. The red cover, if you don't have 5 strikes on the board, he'll continue to drain his own health, and you got to make sure to keep 5 strikes on the board, so he doesn't down himself.

How often can you use him, before he ends up going down due to damage from the other team and himself? How often are you feeding him healthpacks?

The point of a 5* to me, would be a match-damaging tank to hide others behind. OML yellow would be the best self-sustaining, match damaging tank. OML red is a match-damaging, self-destructive tank.

You elaborated my frustration better than I could, thank you.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've opened 13-14ish legendary tokens since OML was introduced, and I now have an OML with 3 yellow covers.

I already had a few decently developed 4*'s so I haven't really noticed a dramatic shift in difficulty. I do find the claim that 5*'s would be usable at 2-3 covers fairly laughable though. I have managed to make use of him in certain PVE situations by letting him tank everything and heal up, but he'd be utterly worthless for pvp even if I spent ISO on him. Even the 1/1/1 Logan in the test node felt pretty unimpressive.

I picked neutral.
  • rdvargas1
    rdvargas1 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Positive mostly. I have Surfer with 1 black and OML with 1 yellow. I use OML quite a bit to tank as his yellow with only one cover still heals 619 per round. Surfer I also use occasionally but he gets his health taken down quite a bit without a blue cover. I'm in 4* transition mode with a fully covered lvl 201 Xforce and three others with at least 6 covers. Having 5* doesn't affect my scaling, at least not to a degree that i notice. Legendary tokens have made a huge difference for me obtaining 4*.
  • SuperRecoome
    SuperRecoome Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Not sure yet, It killed my scaling, and now I see tons of fully leveled 4 stars in PVP. (my highest level besides SS is 145) So I'm stuck, I have to earn enough to bring my 3stars to 166, and even then I'll only be able to destroy the max 4 stars when the right characters are boosted, so I'm not sure what to do.....
  • Haven't pulled one and am quite sad about it icon_e_sad.gif

Every day I log in, it's to grind for legendary tokens and not pulling any 5*'s makes me want to play less.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Not sure yet, It killed my scaling, and now I see tons of fully leveled 4 stars in PVP. (my highest level besides SS is 145) So I'm stuck, I have to earn enough to bring my 3stars to 166, and even then I'll only be able to destroy the max 4 stars when the right characters are boosted, so I'm not sure what to do.....

Call in back up?

kJTfVJwT.jpg
  • lukewin wrote:
    GMadMan040 wrote:

I play mostly PVP, but with the advent of legendary tokens in PVE you'll catch me grinding away like a lemming.

I have a bunch of max covered 3* characters, all between level 120 and 140, because the ISO shortage is real. I have three useable 4* characters (XFW, Kingpin & Antman), but they are all modestly leveled as well.

I would probably have preferred a yellow cover for OML, but there is something to be said for those strike tiles too. At a certain level, health packs are going to be a necessity no matter what. I would rather use one health pack per battle than multiple.

My other characters generally don't get hit, and OML doesn't get hit that hard. When teamed with IF & Luke Cage, that protect tile mitigates a lot, if not all, opposing match damage. OML matches at level 255 are doing between 300-750HP per. If you get a critical in there, 1200-2000HP. And his own strike tiles add to his already great match damage. That adds up REAL fast! When he is with characters with quickly accelerated skills, matches go by pretty quickly.

Most times I have an opposing character down and out before the other team is ready to fire any skills at all. So if OML dies, which happens in about 30% of my matches, I'm still usually sitting on two full health characters who have some AP to burn. It's not an automatic win or anything, but he's been a good character for me without question.

Now if I could just get my hands on a black and yellow cover...
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Voted neutral, my 1 cover SS hasn't changed my game in any way other than filling a 800hp roster slot.

My pve baseline was already in the mid 200s no change there, and I've been in 4* PvP for about 3 seasons now
  • Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    Negative. I'm still in doubt about selling my ss because the scaling is so effed up... icon_e_confused.gif
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Mainly negative, I have a little OCD, Legendary to me is THE highest form of rarity. Hence I disliked Marvel: War of Heroes when they introduced Ultra Legendary which is a complete nonsense.

It's almost seemingly endless transition faze. I'm near the end of completing my star.pngstar.pngstar.png & start focusing on star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png & now we have star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png to obtain.
  • Day 1? I'm not sure I could have cared any less without bursting into flames. So yeah, quite neutral on the presence of 5*s. I mean, it's going to be a decade before I cover and level one, so they don't effect me in the slightest.

That was until I realized that the simple act of adding a single 1-cover $$ to my roster would blow all my scaling and MMR through the stratosphere, at which point my general feeling became…

Negative, because I cannot understand why my almost 2 pages of poorly covered 4*s did nothing to either my scaling or MMR, while adding ONE SINGLE 5* could do what $$ did…

Before someone kindly points out the difference between 70 and 255 or suggests saving the tokens, I get it, and I realize I could have celebrated my victories by not celebrating and hanging onto the tokens. Just sharing my opinion on increasing starting level by almost 200 in one change and suggesting the answer is to play a game while saving my winnings for a rainy day months and likely years down the road. Thanks.

DBC
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML plus Fist makes quick work of seed teams in the LR's for me. Wait, that's not what he's for? :shrug:
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I hate that I'm gonna have to sell my surfer after sinking 22k into him, but the upscaleing is killing me all the way around. And the token hoarder people have no empathy cause they're so leveled up these things don't affect them and casual players that don't research every little game mechanic don't realize the affect these Characters have on their progression in terms of playing. Overall, it's a kick in the balls to get such a great thing then penalized for it.

5 stars are great for uber players, but they can easily drive away new players just as easily.