Preview of Galactus Rounds 6-8

13»

Comments

• MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    As much as I will jump to support/defend D3 and the game on other topics, they really messed up on this one.
    This event is basically un-winnable even for the top teams.
    Add to this, this disappointing selection of rewards and skewed odds, really brings me down from the high hopes I'd had.
    Even if there weren't a lot of extras, I'd still hoped to at least have FUN.
    Sending my teams in to be slaughtered time and time again is not my idea if that. Thx experience seems to be the same across the board.
    I can't imagine what would be fair compensation for this mess. Normally, I'd chide someone who asked for the new Cyclops, but after this I don't think I would.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    In Summary:

Original:
    Galactus spawned CD tiles that turned into Cosmic Tiles.
    Cosmic tiles turned into Black AP next turn.
    At 30 Black AP Galactus does 1,000,000 AOE damage.

Forum Strategizes. Someone mentions Starlord adding cost to Galactus attack stalling it.

Galactus changed to 28 Black AP to cast his 1,000,000 AOE Damage attack (to combat Starlord ability).

Forum strategizes. Someone mentions Elektra and her Shadow Step.

Galactus changed to 28 Black AP to Destroy entire board, then cast his 1,000,000 AOE Damage attack (to destroy Shadow Step tiles).

Forum strategizes. Someone mentions She-hulk, OBW, Blade and all possible AP drain/steal techniques.

Galactus changed to CD tiles creating Cosmic Tiles (instead of turning into Cosmic Tiles), and Cosmic Tiles generating AP in ALL colors (to minimize the effectiveness of Shulk AP drain). It is unknown whether his strongest color was changed from black to blue, since we only found out during actual game play (which would have countered Blade's AP Drain).
    At this point, the forum collectively wised up and stopped strategizing out loud.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    In Summary:

Original:
    Galactus spawned CD tiles that turned into Cosmic Tiles.
    Cosmic tiles turned into Black AP next turn.
    At 30 Black AP Galactus does 1,000,000 AOE damage.

Forum Strategizes. Someone mentions Starlord adding cost to Galactus attack stalling it.

Galactus changed to 28 Black AP to cast his 1,000,000 AOE Damage attack (to combat Starlord ability).

Forum strategizes. Someone mentions Elektra and her Shadow Step.

Galactus changed to 28 Black AP to Destroy entire board, then cast his 1,000,000 AOE Damage attack (to destroy Shadow Step tiles).

Forum strategizes. Someone mentions She-hulk, OBW, Blade and all possible AP drain/steal techniques.

Galactus changed to CD tiles creating Cosmic Tiles (instead of turning into Cosmic Tiles), and Cosmic Tiles generating AP in ALL colors (to minimize the effectiveness of Shulk AP drain). It is unknown whether his strongest color was changed from black to blue, since we only found out during actual game play (which would have countered Blade's AP Drain).
    At this point, the forum collectively wised up and stopped strategizing out loud.

I see what you're saying but come on man, should the forum have to keep it's tactics to itself so developers and programmers don't throw a hissy fit that their game has been beaten and make it unwinnable? I have conquered the big enchilada thanks to this forum and it's habit of sharing and helping other people. The behaviour of helping each other should NEVER be punished, unless D3 think that helping other people is a bad thing? It should be encouraged.

'Help other gamers at your peril' is a horrible message to send to your fanbase. Imagine if we took that attitude towards their business and every player decided to hack the game and not help D3 make money? They would be out of a job, and this would also be a horrible message to send. It may only be a game but it's still a bad sentiment to encourage.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:

I see what you're saying but come on man, should the forum have to keep it's tactics to itself so developers and programmers don't throw a hissy fit that their game has been beaten and make it unwinnable? I have conquered the big enchilada thanks to this forum and it's habit of sharing and helping other people. The behaviour of helping each other should NEVER be punished, unless D3 think that helping other people is a bad thing? It should be encouraged.

What I'm saying is "they watched player's pre-event discussion and made the event harder because of it." I'm not endorsing it.

Of course it's theoretically possible that they made these changes based on their own play testing, and they never even saw the thread here, but that would be one heck of a coincidence. Even if that's the case, someone made the play testing entirely about whether it was too easy, not whether it was at an appropriate challenge level.
    'Help other gamers at your peril' is a horrible message to send to your fanbase.
    I completely agree.
  • KingSlamma wrote:
    This event was created to sell health packs $$$.

And boosters of AP.
  • OneLastGambit
    DayvBang wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

What I'm saying is "they watched player's pre-event discussion and made the event harder because of it." I'm not endorsing it.

Of course it's theoretically possible that they made these changes based on their own play testing, and they never even saw the thread here, but that would be one heck of a coincidence. Even if that's the case, someone made the play testing entirely about whether it was too easy, not whether it was at an appropriate challenge level.
    'Help other gamers at your peril' is a horrible message to send to your fanbase.
    I completely agree.

Appreciate the response and clarification. I find it a little frustrating that the developers clearly read the forums (in order to make the one change they did) but yet either vacated or ignore the forums on the broken event. As a psychologist (yes a mental health professional plays games designed to break your psyche) I can tell you that ignorance/apathy is by far and away the most negative response that anyone can be given and the most frequent re-enforcement of aggressive behaviour.

Again thanks for the response Davy you guys do a thankless job and really feel the wrath of Galactus more than anyone
  • OneLastGambit
    Bump because the Walken frame makes me laugh/cry every time icon_lol.gif

'Help other gamers at your peril' is a horrible message to send to your fanbase. Imagine if we took that attitude towards their business and every player decided to hack the game and not help D3 make money? They would be out of a job, and this would also be a horrible message to send. It may only be a game but it's still a bad sentiment to encourage.

Absolutely, OLG, but perhaps the best help that one player can give another is a link to another place to discuss the game. You know, throw them a line. Seriously, the devs backroom discussions are not here on the forum, why should the players' be? The forum should be seen as a neutral, formal place, and posters should be mindful that it is being watched.
    As a psychologist (yes a mental health professional plays games designed to break your psyche) I can tell you that ignorance/apathy is by far and away the most negative response that anyone can be given and the most frequent re-enforcement of aggressive behaviour.

You should open your own online MPQ Psych Services office! icon_lol.gif

Before today I had never considered it but now I'm starting to think it might be a good idea, but I'm scared that galactus will cosmic power all my patients and steal all my cash.

A forum is a place to share ideas and thoughts on any given topic. If the devs use this forum as 'a place to screw gamers' then that speaks volumes of their character and ineptitude for business. As the old saying goes "You can shear a sheep as many times as you want, but skin it only once"
  • OneLastGambit
    A forum is a place to share ideas and thoughts on any given topic. If the devs use this forum as 'a place to screw gamers' then that speaks volumes of their character and ineptitude for business. As the old saying goes "You can shear a sheep as many times as you want, but skin it only once"

... and if they have to rely on player mumbling to point out what they may have overlooked, yikes, asleep at the wheel.

No entirely true, every business or idea has flaws which are often overlooked by the people who created it. Human beings have a distinct inability (save for a very select few) to spot flaws in their own creations, so I don't criticise the devs for this, it's only human. I criticize their ignorance at listening to advice from exterior sources (a resource which should be used as often as possible).