Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
edited October 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Round 6

flip2win6_zps4wmdph8n.jpg?t=1444275953

Round 7

flip2win7_zpswd8tjhpp.jpg?t=1444276004

Round 8

flip2win8_zpsa7zafhrx.jpg?t=1444276057

Maybe they'll just replace the Galactus fight with an animated coin flip the next go-round. It'll take some strain off the servers, and feel a little bit more fair.

Comments

• puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I think you're being optimistic in assuming that we'll even reach round 8. With the difficulty of big G increasing like crazy with each successive round, plus lockouts extending to following rounds, I am beginning to think reaching round 8 might not occur for many alliances.
  • puppychow wrote:
    I think you're being optimistic in assuming that we'll even reach round 8. With the difficulty of big G increasing like crazy with each successive round, plus lockouts extending to following rounds, I am beginning to think reaching round 8 might not occur for many alliances.

I think you're being optimistic as well! icon_lol.gif

Weren't there only like 2 alliances that made it all the way through round 1/2 or something like that? I would be surprised if ANY alliance makes it all the way through, considering the luck factor involved, especially if the HP continues to jump, and Galactus gets some sort of extra countdowns/etc.

We're on round 4, and I can't even clear the guy at all. Within 5-6 turns, I'm generally dead.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    In an effort to close loopholes based on strategies discussed in a different thread, they screwed up the balance of the event they had designed and tested. They could not have possibly tested the changes they made 18 hrs before the event started, which were a lot.

No desire to play the next run if its like this one or worse.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I think those are actually rounds 3, 4, and 5.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    I think several alliances will put in the effort for a possible Round 8 clear. However, a non-trivial percentage of those will not clear the event, because of bad luck.

Once you get to Round 5, there's maybe a 30% chance or so that you'll lose without ever getting a skill off. I can only assume it's going to get worse in future rounds. Some alliances will have a run of bad luck and end up on the tail end of the bell curve. That's a lousy reward for three-and-a-half days of concerted effort.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    JVReal wrote:
    In an effort to close loopholes based on strategies discussed in a different thread, they screwed up the balance of the event they had designed and tested. They could not have possibly tested the changes they made 18 hrs before the event started, which were a lot.

Even without testing shouldn't have some basic math showed them the trouble ahead?
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    I'm mostly confused by the relative ease of the middle rounds - these events were clearly designed for lower leveled rosters, and Galactus is not by any means.
  • Bishop
    Bishop Posts: 130 Tile Toppler
    JVReal wrote:

Even without testing shouldn't have some basic math showed them the trouble ahead?

This is the math they understand...$$ + $$ = $$$
  • If I could up vote the OP a thousand times, I would. Deer Hunter Walken and the Suicide Booth for the win!!! A good laugh is always welcome after huge frustration.
  • Take a bow stax that was an excellent post, round 7 had me in fits of laughter. If you cant take enjoyment from the anniversary event (which no one can) at least take some solace from the fact that you brightened my afternoon, great stuff! +1
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kaching! for the unreleased metric of tonnes of Healthpacks sold during this event.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Round 6 is basically correct; if none of the first set of countdowns lands on a tile you can match in the first two turns, barring a big cascade that lets you use a board-shaking power you lose.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    This is some seriously bad level designing. I can only assume the discussion about this event went something like this....

D3 Executive: I like money. How can we make people use 15+ health packs so they are spending HP to buy more every 8 hours?
    D3 Lead Developer: Well, we can make a boss that you have to beat in 3 turns or else he wipes your entire team.
    D3 Executive: I like it. Make sure he has a ridiculous amount of health so that there is little to no chance of the player winning by round 6. By round 7 even dumb luck isn't going to make a bit of difference.
    D3 Lead Developer: Yes sir. But to be honest sir, that doesn't sound very fair to the user base, nor does it sound very fun.
    D3 Executive: I like money.
    D3 Lead Developer: But sir?
    D3 Executive: (Walking away) I like money...
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    RWTDBurn wrote:
    This is some seriously bad level designing. I can only assume the discussion about this event went something like this....

D3 Executive: I like money. How can we make people use 15+ health packs so they are spending HP to buy more every 8 hours?
    D3 Lead Developer: Well, we can make a boss that you have to beat in 3 turns or else he wipes your entire team.
    D3 Executive: I like it. Make sure he has a ridiculous amount of health so that there is little to no chance of the player winning by round 6. By round 7 even dumb luck isn't going to make a bit of difference.
    D3 Lead Developer: Yes sir. But to be honest sir, that doesn't sound very fair to the user base, nor does it sound very fun.
    D3 Executive: I like money.
    D3 Lead Developer: But sir?
    D3 Executive: (Walking away) I like money...
    I always read the D3 executive as J K Simmons...
    Jameson_in_the_Movie.gif
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    After the missteps and blunders of the past few months, including this anniversary, I'm beginning too think Demiurge is composed of incompetent fuckwits.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    vOdFVaq.jpg
  • gigatilburg29
    gigatilburg29 Posts: 88 Match Maker
    hahaha icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif I cracked me up
  • This event was created to sell health packs $$$.
  • elvy75
    elvy75 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    spot on stax... spot on!!!
  • KingSlamma wrote:
    This event was created to sell health packs $$$.

Forget that. I threw GSBW/IM40/2Bullseye at it once just to feed him match damage. My entire roster is going to be fed to the big purple jerk before I buy a health pack.