Preview of Galactus Rounds 6-8

Comments

• mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    JVReal wrote:
    In an effort to close loopholes based on strategies discussed in a different thread, they screwed up the balance of the event they had designed and tested. They could not have possibly tested the changes they made 18 hrs before the event started, which were a lot.

No desire to play the next run if its like this one or worse.

I'm curiois what the initial design for him was?
  • This is gold.

I'm putting my weakest characters against Galactus and rotating them to avoid health packs. If Silver Surfer, Deadpool X-Force, and Wolverine X-Force with boosts and a Super Whales DP TU can't beat Galactus in Round 4, welp I'm not gonna try. Not going to buy health packs for sure.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    mindsuckr wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    In an effort to close loopholes based on strategies discussed in a different thread, they screwed up the balance of the event they had designed and tested. They could not have possibly tested the changes they made 18 hrs before the event started, which were a lot.

I'm curiois what the initial design for him was?
    Read this thread through from the beginning and see the changes as they happen after strategies were discussed:
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33376
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal wrote:

Is there a summary of the changes they made? I wasn't around on the forum much yesterday
  • JVReal
    woopie wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

Is there a summary of the changes they made? I wasn't around on the forum much yesterday
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33376

I think the problem stems from the original description stating that the CD tiles turned into Cosmic Tiles.

When people started throwing strategies about AP drain/stealing they got scared and changed the description to read that the CD tile creates unspecified number of Cosmic tiles.

Going with the original thought that 1 CD tile = 1 Cosmic Tile... even if it generates 2-4 AP, this game is playable. That one change steamrolled and exponentially tinykittied up the rest of the scaling they had tested and played and had fun with.

This is my honest theory of what I believe happened based on the descriptive changes that happened parallel to the strategy discussions.
  • Ding
    Ding Posts: 179
    Highest rated post I've ever seen.
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    KingSlamma wrote:
    This event was created to sell health packs $$$.
    I am in round 6, currently winning about 2 out of 6 matches against the (must... resist... making... phallic... joke...) big guy.

I have not bought a single health pack though.
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    What were the changes made? Anyone have a link?

On topic: in the last two tries, I've had a total of six turns... yay?
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    RWTDBurn wrote:
    This is some seriously bad level designing. I can only assume the discussion about this event went something like this....

D3 Executive: I like money. How can we make people use 15+ health packs so they are spending HP to buy more every 8 hours?
    D3 Lead Developer: Well, we can make a boss that you have to beat in 3 turns or else he wipes your entire team.
    D3 Executive: I like it. Make sure he has a ridiculous amount of health so that there is little to no chance of the player winning by round 6. By round 7 even dumb luck isn't going to make a bit of difference.
    D3 Lead Developer: Yes sir. But to be honest sir, that doesn't sound very fair to the user base, nor does it sound very fun.
    D3 Executive: I like money.
    D3 Lead Developer: But sir?
    D3 Executive: (Walking away) I like money...

So they are from the future of Idiocracy lol
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    avs962 wrote:

Read the topic linked above. As people workshop strategies, the preview of Galactus' powers changes such that those strategies are either vanishingly unlikely to succeed or outright impossible. We foolishly thought they wanted the fight to be a challenge for people to come up with clever combinations of characters and powers that would counter Galactus' abilities, rather than a meat-grinder.
  • JVReal
    avs962 wrote:

In Summary:

Original:
    Galactus spawned CD tiles that turned into Cosmic Tiles.
    Cosmic tiles turned into Black AP next turn.
    At 30 Black AP Galactus does 1,000,000 AOE damage.

Forum Strategizes. Someone mentions Starlord adding cost to Galactus attack stalling it.

Galactus changed to 28 Black AP to cast his 1,000,000 AOE Damage attack (to combat Starlord ability).

Forum strategizes. Someone mentions Elektra and her Shadow Step.

Galactus changed to 28 Black AP to Destroy entire board, then cast his 1,000,000 AOE Damage attack (to destroy Shadow Step tiles).

Forum strategizes. Someone mentions She-hulk, OBW, Blade and all possible AP drain/steal techniques.

Galactus changed to CD tiles creating Cosmic Tiles (instead of turning into Cosmic Tiles), and Cosmic Tiles generating AP in ALL colors (to minimize the effectiveness of Shulk AP drain). It is unknown whether his strongest color was changed from black to blue, since we only found out during actual game play (which would have countered Blade's AP Drain).
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2015
    Exclusive preview of Run 2 of Galactus:

flip2winrun2_zpsi26vfja5.jpg?t=1444323952
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    JVReal wrote:
    avs962 wrote:

In Summary:

Original:
    Galactus spawned CD tiles that turned into Cosmic Tiles.
    Cosmic tiles turned into Black AP next turn.
    At 30 Black AP Galactus does 1,000,000 AOE damage.

Forum Strategizes. Someone mentions Starlord adding cost to Galactus attack stalling it.

Galactus changed to 28 Black AP to cast his 1,000,000 AOE Damage attack (to combat Starlord ability).

Forum strategizes. Someone mentions Elektra and her Shadow Step.

Galactus changed to 28 Black AP to Destroy entire board, then cast his 1,000,000 AOE Damage attack (to destroy Shadow Step tiles).

Forum strategizes. Someone mentions She-hulk, OBW, Blade and all possible AP drain/steal techniques.

Galactus changed to CD tiles creating Cosmic Tiles (instead of turning into Cosmic Tiles), and Cosmic Tiles generating AP in ALL colors (to minimize the effectiveness of Shulk AP drain). It is unknown whether his strongest color was changed from black to blue, since we only found out during actual game play (which would have countered Blade's AP Drain).

Appreciate the summary. What a bunch of **** ***holes
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    This is an absolute atrocity. We have four alliances in round six, and it's quiet possible not one of them will clear it, with 2 days left.

The absolute incompetence displayed in preparing for the biggest event if the year is astonishingly horrendous.

The developers should be ashamed and embarrassed by once again turning what could have been their greatest event, into the absolute worst.

In an effort to make money they will lose much, including mine.
  • larzilla
    larzilla Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    I'm on round 5 and have no problem beating him every time. You just have to find the right team. I use she hulk for her red. Hulk for his green and obw for her purple and blue. Put hulk in front. Once turn 2 hits his black ability goes off generating green. Smash the board. Use obw purple to reduce galactus ap. Reduce the countdown timers with obw blue. Only use this if the timer is at 1 and you have no other way to destroy it. She hulks red is cheap too and can be used in the same fashion as the hulks green. Match purple and blue tiles if you can. The goal here is after the first countdown tiles go off you don't let that happen again. You will be smashing the board a lot. It will generate ap for you doing this as well as destroying galactus tiles.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    larzilla wrote:
    I'm on round 5 and have no problem beating him every time. You just have to find the right team. I use she hulk for her red. Hulk for his green and obw for her purple and blue. Put hulk in front. Once turn 2 hits his black ability goes off generating green. Smash the board. Use obw purple to reduce galactus ap. Reduce the countdown timers with obw blue. Only use this if the timer is at 1 and you have no other way to destroy it. She hulks red is cheap too and can be used in the same fashion as the hulks green. Match purple and blue tiles if you can. The goal here is after the first countdown tiles go off you don't let that happen again. You will be smashing the board a lot. It will generate ap for you doing this as well as destroying galactus tiles.

Just wait until you get to round 6.
  • larzilla
    In 6 hrs I'll let you know smh.
  • JVReal
    larzilla wrote:
    I'm not really following you.

How is Hulk's black going off in turn 2? How is OBW using Blue and Purple, and how is She-Hulk using Red? Where are you getting all this AP from?

Once it hits Round 6, you pretty much have 3 turns to do something, hope this works for you next Round. Let us know.
  • JVReal
    JVReal wrote:
    larzilla wrote:
    I'm not really following you.

How is Hulk's black going off in turn 2? How is OBW using Blue and Purple, and how is She-Hulk using Red? Where are you getting all this AP from?

Once it hits Round 6, you pretty much have 3 turns to do something, hope this works for you next Round. Let us know.

Well.....if you have an unleveled, fully covered 535 hulk, Galactus match damage might set him off. But he wouldn't be tanking any colors so almost impossible to keep in front .... ummm ... will definitely try this team next, haha.
    All I can think of is the damage from the CD resolving, but then that means not getting the AP until Round 3, and now there are cosmic tiles out there to deal with, and no guarantee that you'll spawn 10 matchable green... might try Hulk in there one of these times, but pretty sure you can't get both OBW's attacks and Shulks Red all going from 2 turns of matching unless you get a monster cascade from turn 3, where Galactus hasn't gathered the AP yet. In Round 6, pretty much if he gets AP its over.

Sorry I'm thinking through this as I'm typing. Of this, I might try Hulk in my next shot at Galactus Round 6.
  • larzilla
    Hulk will generate your green ap. Once the cosmic tiles go off. Your not using him to tank just to generate ap. Once you start blowing up the board you will generate ap on matches. People can say it doesn't work but it does. Just trying to help people as I understand this event is frustrating.