7 Day Events: Worth the effort? The debate!

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

But, 7 day events are amazing iso farms..

Exactly the same as two 3.5 day long events. There is no difference there.

7 day long events NEED to give at least two legendaries in the progression rewards, and probably give more 4s in the placement rewards. But I think it would be better if they would be removed completely from the game. It is ALWAYS better to play two 3-4 day events that just one 7-8 days event.

NEED is a strong word.. but i 1/2 agree.. i think for 7 day events, a 4* cover of the 4* essential added to progression is a good idea.. they have the 1k reward in PVPs before the token, and after the 3* reward, so why not Story Events?

But here is the opposing point.. back to back to back 3 and 4 day events, mean you need to constantly grind and grind and grind to no end to get the token.. with a 7 day event, once i got the leg token, i could have taken the last 2 days off.. which i normally do during the season. Just this is off season.. and only other thing going is a single pvp, so i kept going.

Galactus event aside, as that will start in a couple hours.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Personally, when i broke 100k last night, it would have been nice to see a small reward there..

The repetitive play of a 7 day events yields less ISO than 2 3-day events, as in 7-day events the boards do not "refresh" every day. That means once you have farmed all the rewards from a node, it is 36-40 hours before it is reset again. Until then, that node is worth... 20 ISO? every time you grind it.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not that they're not worth it, there's just no reason to have 7 day events, when every single PvP has a standard length of around 2 1/2 days. PvE length should alternate between 3 and 4 so there are two each week. Very simple.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Personally, when i broke 100k last night, it would have been nice to see a small reward there..

The repetitive play of a 7 day events yields less ISO than 2 3-day events, as in 7-day events the boards do not "refresh" every day. That means once you have farmed all the rewards from a node, it is 36-40 hours before it is reset again. Until then, that node is worth... 20 ISO? every time you grind it.
    The current 7-day PVE had 7 subs.
  • Malcrof
    simonsez wrote:
    It's not that they're not worth it, there's just no reason to have 7 day events, when every single PvP has a standard length of around 2 1/2 days. PvE length should alternate between 3 and 4 so there are two each week. Very simple.

Actual question.. do any of the 3-4 day events have large ISO nodes like DP vs MPQ or Iso-8 Brotherhood?
  • Malcrof wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Actual question.. do any of the 3-4 day events have large ISO nodes like DP vs MPQ or Iso-8 Brotherhood?

DP vs MPQ is a 4 day event Mal. icon_razz.gif
    Simulator also has a large iso node each sub, and it's not a 7 day event.
  • simonsez
    Malcrof wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

Is DP vs. MPQ a 7 day event? I remember it being short.
    But either way, a once-a-day 1500 ISO node doesn't make up for losing out on a legendary token and a full set of ranking awards when there's one event per week rather than 2.
  • Lopan15 wrote:
    I started the current pve with 4 days left and just hit the legendary with regular 8 hr clears + additional grind clear before end of sub nodes and 2 extra clears just now. 14 hours left so really I did 3 1/2 days of a 7 day and got max progression. Late start is your friend if you aren't looking for placement which I am not as all my 3* are fully covered.
    That's kinda twisted logic. I see it the way opposite. If you need only progression start right away - the more time you have the easier to get it. If you don't care about prog and looking for placement you might get a better shot with late start if you happen to land in a fresh, less competitive bracket.
  • simonsez
    You're asking for a nonstop grindfest on the PVE aisle.
    I don't follow. I wouldn't be playing any differently if a week had two PvEs rather than just one. But I would feel like the effort was more worth it.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    shurak wrote:
    Lopan15 wrote:
    I started the current pve with 4 days left and just hit the legendary with regular 8 hr clears + additional grind clear before end of sub nodes and 2 extra clears just now. 14 hours left so really I did 3 1/2 days of a 7 day and got max progression. Late start is your friend if you aren't looking for placement which I am not as all my 3* are fully covered.
    That's kinda twisted logic. I see it the way opposite. If you need only progression start right away - the more time you have the easier to get it. If you don't care about prog and looking for placement you might get a better shot with late start if you happen to land in a fresh, less competitive bracket.
    there is a balance there. later in the event, nodes and clears are worth more, so you get more points for the same effort than starting early. however, if RL gets in the way and you miss a clear or worse, a grind, starting early gives you breathing room to still get there. start too late and miss a grind and you might not make it.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    I don't follow. I wouldn't be playing any differently if a week had two PvEs rather than just one. But I would feel like the effort was more worth it.

Yup, I basically play for progressions & Top 50 because grinding PvEs makes me feel burnt out. I do my 3-4 clears a day regardless of the length of the overall PvE and with a 3/4 day setup, I'd get double the Legendary tokens in the same amount of time.
  • simonsez wrote:

Exactly. The issue at hand is the progression rewards/scores are artificially inflated on 7 day events, so with grinding you can attain them still in short time, but if you play on a fixed schedule, say "3 a day clears" you suddenly go from one week the same playtime awarding 2 legendary tokens and 2 3 star covers to having a week only give one each.

Placement rewards and Progression rewards are entirely different beasts, for what it's worth. I don't play for placement unless it's my day off work and I have no plans, because of the time commitment. I instead have 3 times a day set aside for one playthrough on most days. So when events switch from 3-4 to 7 days, the impact is very noticeable, due to admittedly, my more casual play as of late.
  • Malcrof
    Wonder if they did multiple events how it would go over. have a 7 day event, and a 3 followed by 4 day event.. Choose 1, and the other goes away..

They would obviously have to tinker with the rewards on the 7 day events to make it worth it, but this would give players a choice.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buuuut....you don't have to grind at all to earn the legendary token. 3 clears/day gets you there. 7 days of "casual" play vs. 4. +75% effort, heh.
    I'm not sure I'd call ~2 hours a day of scheduled play "casual" or "not grinding". Sure, you may not be playing them down to one point, but it's still a lot of repeated play just to prove you remembered to do it and could make the time for it.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Wonder if they did multiple events how it would go over. have a 7 day event, and a 3 followed by 4 day event.. Choose 1, and the other goes away..
    This kind of choice is something I really think they should do. Remember when the Simulator PvE premiered with "Normal" and "Hard" subs? I thought that players would have to pick one to run, with greater rewards for the hard branch. Instead, it turned out you had to play *both* difficulty levels to place in the event. I've never understood their reasoning on that.

I'd also like to see branches in PvE where the line of nodes has a fork and you can choose one or the other, locking the other path out. Maybe they could have two characters available for recruitment and which branch you choose determines which one you have a chance at.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    shurak wrote:
    Lopan15 wrote:

From my experience, the late starting makes nodes worth more points due to rubberbanding. If I start right away it takes me 5 days to hit the legendary token. If I late start it takes me 3 1/2 - 4 days. I'm usually in top 100 overall when I hit my legendary but then I stop for the last 18-24 hours and usually finish just outside top 100. Saves me a day of playing. Logic doesn't seem too twisted to me.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    You know, I had recently argued in another post that the rewards need up being about the same because placement, etc are usually double. The last 7 day pve was the hulk and top 3-10 was worth 3000 iso and 100 hp. This pve is 1500 and 50hp, just like a 3 day. Same with other placement awards. I don't understand why that would change. Placement for 7 day should be 2x what it is for 3 or 4 day.
    My main issue with 7 day pve is end-times. If it's a 3/4 week, I pick different end times for the weekend than I do during the week because my schedule is totally different (and I'm sure this is a common issue). So on 7 day runs, I have to decide between the two and one or the other gets messed up. And if the final rewards are now going to be the same for 7 and 3 day, they really should eliminate 7 day (or at least change to 3 24 hour subs and 2 48 hour subs).
    I know there's a lot of burnout for 7 day as well. I was well behind because of weekend seduce issues, just got legendary today, rank was 150. Played 2 nodes for 1000 pts total, rank was 75 for the whole event. That means lots of people played to 82k, got their token and stopped because it was too much.
  • Lopan15
    DayvBang wrote:
    I'm not sure I'd call ~2 hours a day of scheduled play "casual" or "not grinding". Sure, you may not be playing them down to one point, but it's still a lot of repeated play just to prove you remembered to do it and could make the time for it.

You don't have to schedule the play ... leave it open, clear a node or two whenever you want a break, play off and on through the day. You'll make it. Obviously, not everyone has this luxury. The other option is to play once per sub, doing a quad-clear. Not exactly casual either, but it works.
    Lopan15 wrote:
    From my experience, the late starting makes nodes worth more points due to rubberbanding.

That isn't rubberbanding. The later subs are worth more than the earlier ones. On iso8, each sub was worth 1/6th more than the last, so the 7th sub was literally worth 2x the first sub.

So I joined at 778 and doing regular clears and one extra per sub I ended up top 50. This happens every time I late start. So unless 700-950 or so people don't care about placement or stop playing then how else would I catch up? If you are saying my points are the same as everyone else's, how can I vault into top 50 so easily? Not trying to argue, just asking a question. I've seen lots of posts about rubberbanding as an advantage to late starting.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Two things about rubber banding.

1) it is greatly diminished from what it once was. You need to be behind the leaders by >10k and even then its quite weak.

2) it is only applied to scores in the given event screen. I.e. you can catch up a little to your sub event leaders, but being down 50k to your overall leader won't help you one little bit. There used to be nodes on the main map that had rubber band built in but I'm 99% certain they got rid of all of them.

So, you are catching those guys because you are clearing more than they are. There are lots of people that join and don't play much or play casually or hope for an easy bracket and quit when they see how far behind they are.
  • Lopan15
    mohio wrote:
    Two things about rubber banding.

1) it is greatly diminished from what it once was. You need to be behind the leaders by >10k and even then its quite weak.

2) it is only applied to scores in the given event screen. I.e. you can catch up a little to your sub event leaders, but being down 50k to your overall leader won't help you one little bit. There used to be nodes on the main map that had rubber band built in but I'm 99% certain they got rid of all of them.

So, you are catching those guys because you are clearing more than they are. There are lots of people that join and don't play much or play casually or hope for an easy bracket and quit when they see how far behind they are.

Thanks for the info. I know I still get legendary faster if I late start. Since I don't grind all the way to the end, I haven't really noticed what my overall finish score looks like compared to before I stopped chasing placement.