7 Day Events: Worth the effort? The debate!

Finally grew frustrated once with the 7 day grindfests such as Brotherhood, and decided to finally calculate up some things.

For the record, the standard reward chart on PVE since the increase with legendary tokens is as follows, regardless of the days involved and the points to acquire.

token_standard.png Value: 500 Iso
: 100 iso8.png
: rainbow damage boost Value: 20 HP
healthpack.png Value: 50 HP
: rainbow AP stockpile Value: 10 HP
140 iso8.png
2 Star Cover Value 500 HP
140 iso8.png
token_event.png Value 200 HP
140 iso8.png
2 Star Cover Value 500 HP
250 iso8.png
25 imcoin.png
250 iso8.png
3 Star Cover Value 1250 HP
500 iso8.png
25 imcoin.png
token_event.png Value 200 HP
1000 iso8.png
token_legendary.png Value 2500 HP

How were the "Value numbers" calculated? Simply went off what it would cost to purchase the item outright. For event tokens, the daily deal causes the value to fluctuate, but for purposes of this, all tokens would have 200 HP value.

Boosts are sold in bunches of 10 for AP boosts, and 5 for damage boosts, according to the wiki, for 100 HP each. This causes their value to break down at 10 and 20 HP respectively. Standard Tokens buy for ISO, so ISO was used for their value. Legendary Tokens operate off the assumption they act as a 4 star cover, and thus the 2500 HP value.

The totals break down to the Progression rewards totaling a value of 3020 in ISO, and 5280 HP rewards.

If you were to buy that much ISO in minimal installments, of 1200 for 2.00 USD (Rounded up the penny) it would cost 25.16 USD total. Now, obviously, you can't purchase that specific amount, but for calculating US Dollar value, this is close enough.

If you were to buy that much HP in minimal installments of 200 HP for 2.00 USD , the cost breaks down to 26.40 USD total. Same disclaimer as above applies.

The problem here? (Keep in mind, this is rounded to the nearest cent)

For a 3 day event, you're earning reward value of $17.18 USD per day.
For a 4 day event, you're earning reward value of $12.89 USD per day.
For a 7 day event, you're earning reward value of $7.36 USD per day.

Feel free to double check the math, and debate below. I feel like the bolded part above details enough why I feel so annoyed at 7 day events currently.

And also convert to other currencies as needed as well, of course.

Mods: Feel free to move this to the statistics forums if you feel it fits better there, but this is more to spur discussion on why PVE 7 day rewards might need a revamp.

Mod Edit: Not moving this to statistics.. this belongs here, idid change the topic name though

Comments

• Clearly the answer is to nerf the value of the 3 and 4-day events. (/sarcasm mode off)
  • I signed up for this one mainly because I wanted to get imcoin.png from t50 placements in each node.

Like literally that was my entire goal this event getting the Legendary token is just a bonus. (Although, I do need the Storm n Torch covers)

I've managed to get 175 imcoin.png so far from placements, going to be 225 in 20 minutes, and hopefully keep it up for another 100 imcoin.png from t50 in the last node and in the overall event.

I don't honestly know if it IS worth it. I just really need the HP (Anniversary hype! Roster slot hype!) and it seemed like the best way to get it.

If a better way to get imcoin.png exists, I don't know it.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    I signed up for this one mainly because I wanted to get imcoin.png from t50 placements in each node.

Like literally that was my entire goal this event getting the Legendary token is just a bonus. (Although, I do need the Storm n Torch covers)

I've managed to get 175 imcoin.png so far from placements, going to be 225 in 20 minutes, and hopefully keep it up for another 100 imcoin.png from t50 in the last node and in the overall event.

I don't honestly know if it IS worth it. I just really need the HP (Anniversary hype! Roster slot hype!) and it seemed like the best way to get it.

If a better way to get imcoin.png exists, I don't know it.
    I have to agree that the 3 and 4 day PVE is significantly better rewards than a 7 day. I also agree with colwag since you can earn HP and you do get a lot of ISO just from playing. The big difference is on a 3 and 4 day PVE you get an opportunity to earn 2 legendary tokens while on a 7 day event you can only earn 1. Same amount of time played, significantly less rewards.

But low and behold I want that tinykitty legendary token so I play, and play, and play.

I need help icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I started the current pve with 4 days left and just hit the legendary with regular 8 hr clears + additional grind clear before end of sub nodes and 2 extra clears just now. 14 hours left so really I did 3 1/2 days of a 7 day and got max progression. Late start is your friend if you aren't looking for placement which I am not as all my 3* are fully covered.
  • The fact that it is a poopy long event with an uninteresting reward DOES make the nodes easier to get good placement on. I think.

Well.

Three clears and a just like, two or three extra matches gets me in the HP range. Which is all that matters, really.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Adding a second legendary would probably not be the ideal option as it could then result in placement rewards going to people with no need for them, so another approach would be to set the token at a level that should take about 4 days and then add additional 3* covers as extra progression rewards, they would give more to those that put in more time without those on 4* rosters feeling obliged to go for them.
  • current story to me: long/boring, trhas reward, and not-so-easy node(usual difficulty) not include repetitiveness

agree with all haetron point above, of all brotherhood re-run this is the worse prog reward.

sound like a nerf hahaha
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I covered this point in the suggestions forum.

Perhaps a mod can merge the two threads?
  • Green83
    Green83 Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Due to not many people playing I have gotten all top 50 placements and one top 10 in the subnodes to get the HP, which are very welcome as a new player.

If only I could get a top 100 alliance it would be an even better event for me. Not complaining at all, I do see why long time players would indeed skip this one
  • bobbyfish
    bobbyfish Posts: 299
    I'm not bothering with the last day today, easy t10/t50 placements for HP over the last week though. Got my legendary token after 4 days which is really the only reason to play these.

My main gripe was opening 5 ISO Brotherhood packs last night to hit no gold. That's when longer events start feeling like more of a waste
  • philosorapt0r
    philosorapt0r Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    To those pointing out that placement/sub placement is easier in 7-days: this is *because* the main-event rewards are less worthwhile, so fewer people bother to put in the effort. If everyone were convinced that easier subs made it equally worthwhile to play 7-days normally, it would immediately cease to be true as a result. So, you might want to stop protesting so much icon_e_smile.gif.
    [I'm in the not-worth-it camp, though that's less true for folks who really need the placement cover.]
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Isn't playing the game it's own reward? icon_e_wink.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    GMadMan040 wrote:
    Clearly the answer is to nerf the value of the 3 and 4-day events. (/sarcasm mode off)

Stop giving D3 ideas!!! icon_mad.gif
  • puppychow
    To those pointing out that placement/sub placement is easier in 7-days: this is *because* the main-event rewards are less worthwhile, so fewer people bother to put in the effort. If everyone were convinced that easier subs made it equally worthwhile to play 7-days normally, it would immediately cease to be true as a result. So, you might want to stop protesting so much icon_e_smile.gif.
    [I'm in the not-worth-it camp, though that's less true for folks who really need the placement cover.]

Agreed. I've got 100k points in the current pve on day 7, with top 10 placement. I'm thinking of dropping to top 50 to let someone else get the covers. I'm only interested in sub tokens, hp/iso, and the legendary token reward.
  • So say so. 7days should cough up 2 token_legendary.png s, right?

I would actually personally prefer that the 7 day events be broken into 2 parts, 4 and 3 days, personally.

Either that, or have the 7 day events be the one pve event that grants a "Fixed" 4 star cover like PVP already does.
  • puppychow

So say so. 7days should cough up 2 token_legendary.png s, right?

I don't think D3 can afford to hand out 2 freebie covers like that. If whales actually decide to play pve for 2 tokens rather than buy 2x40 packs, this would hurt D3 sales. So, nope not happening. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, when i broke 100k last night, it would have been nice to see a small reward there..

But, 7 day events are amazing iso farms..
  • bobbyfish
    bobbyfish Posts: 299
    Malcrof wrote:
    Personally, when i broke 100k last night, it would have been nice to see a small reward there..

True, got Thor up about 25 levels to 166 this week off this
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

Exactly the same as two 3.5 day long events. There is no difference there.

7 day long events NEED to give at least two legendaries in the progression rewards, and probably give more 4s in the placement rewards. But I think it would be better if they would be removed completely from the game. It is ALWAYS better to play two 3-4 day events that just one 7-8 days event.

This events burn me a lot. And when you dont need the placement reward and you are just playing for the legendary, and you open it and you get an already maxed 4, it is really a bummer. You feel that 7 days of hard work have been used for nothing, for 1000 iso. NOT FUN.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Agreed, twice the time and effort deserves twice the rewards. If grinding for 3 or 4 days is worth a Legendary token, then grinding for 7 days should be worth 2 Legendary tokens.